Sports Interactive Community
SmileFaceGamer

Best combinations of strikers for a 442 block tacti

I’m trying to create a 442 block tactic similar to that of Dyche’s Burley with Huddesfield and I’m fairly confident with most of it. But I’m missing a good striker pairing. This might be a smaller issue than I think it is but I’m concerned that without the ‘right’ pairing up top we will really struggle to get goals. So far I’ve tried a DF-D/DLF-A and a P-A/DLF-S and while both have been okay, neither have filled me with masses of confidence that that is the long term solution. So I want to see wether it’s just an issue with the roles up top, or if I need to try something with my tactic which looks something like this:

———————DF(D)——DLF(A)———————

——IW(S)———DLP(D)—-CM(S)———W(S)——

——FB(S)———CD(D)——CD(D)———FB(S)——

mentality: Defensive

Shape: Highly Structured

TI’s: Play Much Narrower, Drop Much Deeper, More Direct Passing, Be More Disciplined

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Your example pair are both linking roles but your playing direct to them with supportive midfield so they won't take risks to get past the forwards unless its a proper counter attack.

Defensive is already deep, narrow and has the defensive players play direct passes, are you taking it to extremes and the front two aren't up for all the chasing?

I think the first thing is to identify what you expect from them and are your forwards good at? Do they even fit a front two in a deep direct system?  If not then whatever roles you use they will probably struggle due to there attributes.

5 minutes ago, summatsupeer said:

Your example pair are both linking roles but your playing direct to them with supportive midfield so they won't take risks to get past the forwards unless its a proper counter attack.

Defensive is already deep, narrow and has the defensive players play direct passes, are you taking it to extremes and the front two aren't up for all the chasing?

I think the first thing is to identify what you expect from them and are your forwards good at? Do they even fit a front two in a deep direct system?  If not then whatever roles you use they will probably struggle due to there attributes.

What’s I want the front two is to have one that can collect long clearances (Deportire and Mounie) and one who can latch on to the knock down as well as come deep when required to bring the wingers and midfield runners into the counter attack (Diakhaby and Quaner). Depoitre and Mounie are both 6’3” target men so suit the former role perfectly. Diakhaby is also superbly suited to the latter given he is quick and has good first touch, technique and OTB. He’s also 6’2” so can collect those long balls. His strength means his hold up play might not be great but that can Ben trained. So mabye a TM-A and CF-S?

Then why are you very structured and more disciplined making players focus more on there specific job if you expect some variety?  They also need to mental attributes to want to chase and get stuck in, aggression, determination and work rate all help a player to put the effort in to chase the ball and even if not first to it pressure the defender.

Whilst they are big and strong, how long does it take for a midfield with no attack duties to catch up to them?

4 hours ago, summatsupeer said:

Then why are you very structured and more disciplined making players focus more on there specific job if you expect some variety?

Good point. Every few games we seem to just fall apart so that might be something to try. But we do still get that variety due to the fact I have 2 free roles (I’ve switched the CM-S to a BBM-S) who are the only ones that have the freedom to move about, but that movement gives a second and third edge to attacks, particularly when we’re in control of a match 

They also need to mental attributes to want to chase and get stuck in, aggression, determination and work rate all help a player to put the effort in to chase the ball and even if not first to it pressure the defender.

That’s a reason I chose Huddersfield. Because of the fact they play a very high press under Wagner, the players have good Work Rate, Determination and Agression.

Whilst they are big and strong, how long does it take for a midfield with no attack duties to catch up to them?

Quicker than you’d expect. When we win the ball the BBM is often the furthest forward midfielder so when we kick it long to the target man/men he’s there and can then give it to either Diakhaby or the nearest winger before continuing his run

On 17/08/2018 at 16:56, SmileFaceGamer said:

I’m trying to create a 442 block tactic similar to that of Dyche’s Burley with Huddesfield and I’m fairly confident with most of it. But I’m missing a good striker pairing. This might be a smaller issue than I think it is but I’m concerned that without the ‘right’ pairing up top we will really struggle to get goals. So far I’ve tried a DF-D/DLF-A and a P-A/DLF-S and while both have been okay, neither have filled me with masses of confidence that that is the long term solution. So I want to see wether it’s just an issue with the roles up top, or if I need to try something with my tactic which looks something like this:

———————DF(D)——DLF(A)———————

——IW(S)———DLP(D)—-CM(S)———W(S)——

——FB(S)———CD(D)——CD(D)———FB(S)——

mentality: Defensive

Shape: Highly Structured

TI’s: Play Much Narrower, Drop Much Deeper, More Direct Passing, Be More Disciplined

any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance

Your setup of roles and duties is for the most part well-balanced for the Highly Structured shape. Actually, I would change just 2 things: give DF support duty instead of defend, put DLP in MCR and on support duty and CM with defend duty in MCL position. Therefore:

DFs    DLFa

IWs    CMd    DLPs     Ws

FBs     CD     CD       FBs/IWBd

To me, much more problematic are your TIs. More direct passing is okay, but all else should be changed - drop deeper instead of much deeper, Roam From Positions instead of More Disciplined (or don't use either) and normal width instead of much narrower.