Simple, straightforward and efficient 433

I have been playing FM for years and deeply love this game. I am still on FM2017 as I don’t want to give up my save, but I think the basic game engine and ideas of tactics is similar. I would like to share this tactic because I think this is one of the most successful tactic I have even created. It starts with a Man Utd save (I am a fan of Man Utd since twenty years ago).

Many managers love controlling tactic with slow built-up of attack, which starts with the success of Barcelona in the last decade. I also tried but found it struggling when facing defensive teams and also teams with strong squad and fast counter-attack. Another drawback is controlling tactic sometimes depends on specific talent players too much, like Barcelona, which make it hard to rotate your squad and adjusting the tactic during a match.

I always think a manager should make tactics suitable for existed squad instead of spending too much money on transfer market. So I start with a 4231 at the first season. While I was lucky to got a chance to buy Icardi and Moussa Dembélé at very low price at the end of first season, I consider to create a tactic which make place for two or three strikers at the same time.

The key of the tactic is 3 flat forwards, usually set as AF as it is the most suitable job for the players I have. No support duties needed here so as to achieve a straightforward tempo, and provide more attacking points in opposite forbidden zone,  and especially helpful in counter-attack. It will be helpful for left-foot forward to be set on left and right-foot on right so as to make accurate crossing, otherwise you can set the team crossing to ‘low’. Crossing, both from side strikers and attacking fullbacks is one of main attacking strategy in this tactic.

I start with 3 flat central midfielders, with duties of attack, support and defend respectively. No special jobs needed here such as playmakers and ball winning. Also I think it is not important which midfielder to be set as attack and which to be set as defend. At attack, the three will split at longitude while at defence, all the three will share similar mentalities. They will make lateral movement while keeping compact when pressing opposite wide attackers, protect fullbacks and centre-backs.

I prefer the midfielder players to be versatile in both attacking and defending, also with good physical attributes and speed. Also good long-shoot ability will be helpful, which will provide more choice in attack, make the opposite team struggling in defence. So I sold Mata and bought Elneny which was on selling list. Lingard is also a wonderfull midfield player adapted well in this system.

The two central backs were set both defend duty so as to avoid gaps in longitude. One can be set to ball-playing CD if you got such suitable player. The outside defenders were both set to be fullback with attacking duty. In attack, they will push higher up even into opposite forbidden zone to score, while when losing the ball, they will run back immediately instead of pressing the opponent player, thus to form a compact 4 defending line in front of the keeper. As 3 strikers will make the opposite defending focused at central the pitch, my FBs can always find open places to take part in attacking.

The goalkeeper was there without any PI. Usually he will make long kick to the head of strikers. I found that my CM players can get it at least 2/3 the times from the head of striker or opposite defending players. Also this delivering low down the risk of keeper making an error and provide quick transform into attack.

I want my team to play a balance, simple and straightfoward football, in such case, usually we don't need to adjust the tactical instructions when facing opposite team with different stlyes. The players can always find a way to score, both in counter-attack, crossing, through balls and also long shoots. It is easy because we have so many attacking points into the final third (3 strikers, 1 attacking CM and 2 outside FB attackers).

To achieve this, I use standard mentality, and nearly no TI or PI. The team shape was set to be flexible, as I think too structured may further make it difficult to make the CMs and AFs contact each other as we already use 3 AF without AM to support. While I also don't want to set it to be more fluid as I want my strikers to stick on attacking and create spaces beyond the opposite defending line, which is crucial for counter-attack. The only TI is to play shorter passes so as to make some balance in tempo, also helping the players to save their energies. But it can also work well if using the standard passing style. (You can click pass into space if opposite team press higher up and leave open space behind.)

I have achieved great success with such a strategy in last three seasons, with more than 100 league points and net goals beyond 100. At most times, the possession is between the range of 45%-55%, while about 30 shooting attempts average per match. So it is kind of high efficient football. I also have tried it with Juventus, demonstrated to be successful. So I think if you have more than one top strikers and want them to show at same time, you can try this.

When facing some specific teams I may make one or two adjustments, such as lower the defense line and even less pressing (Last time using it was facing Barcelona and achieve a 5:0 win). In current season I changed it a little, with a deep-lying DM player, setting as defensive playmaker with less pressing to protect more of defensive line. I also tried complete forward and other duties. No matter how, the straightforward, 3 striker system works well all the time.

433.png

球队指令-平衡.png

12 分钟前, herne79说:

@Dr.Y  If you'd like to edit in the actual tactic file I'll move this over to the Tactics Sharing Centre for you.

@herne79 Thank you very much as I still not familiar with how to edit articles in the forum. I have uploaded the fmf files here, one with flat 3 CM and one with a DM with is now I used, both can work well.

4-3-3 DM.fmf

4-3-3 Flat.fmf

Archived