The Making of a Legend: The Mark Wilson Chronicles (Part Four: Is Wilson Finnished with club management)

mark wilson27

September 12th 2021
So my first International management job and with Finland being only ranked 87th in the world I wasn't expected to be qualify for too many major international tournaments. The FA were happy if I we weren't outclassed in the qualification period. My first game would be in 25 days against Cyprus in the World Cup Qualifying. We have so far played six games in the group and sit in 5th place out of six. The group contains Italy, Czech Republic, Wales, Cyprus and Malta. In truth we have not a cat in hells chance of progressing however I want the side to put in some good performance's in the remaining four games.

September 29th:
It is now time for me to pick the squad for my first two competitive games away to Cyprus (98) and away to Wales (40). *Brackets indicate World Ranking*

Goalkeepers:
Lukas Hradecky (Frankfurt) Age 31, Caps 73, Goals 0, Jesse Joronen (Shrewsbury) Age 28, (1/0),Saku-Pekka Sahigren (IF Elfsborg) Age 29, (0/0)

Defenders:
Petteri Salminen (HJK) Age 17 (0/0), Thomas Lam (Nottm Forest) Age 27 (16/0), Jere Uronen (KRC Genk) Age 27 (64/0), Teemu Dalla Valle (SJK) Age 18 (0/0), Joona Toivio (Feyenoord) Age 33 (75/4), Juhani Ojala (Vaduz) Age 32 (38/0), Valtteri Moren ( Waasland-Beveren) Age 30 (37/2), Daniel O'Shaughnessy (Newport Co) Age 27 (6/0)

Midfielders:
Rasmus Schuller (Vorskia) Age 30 (36/1), Tommi Miettinen (HJK) Age 21 (0/0), Robin Lod (Hamburg) Age 28 (42/5), Kaan Kairinen (En Avant de Guingamp) Age 22 (12/1), Nikolai Alho (AFC Telford) Age 28 (10/0), Petteri Forsell (Miedz) Age 30 (27/1), Jaase Tuominen (IF Elfsborg) Age 25 (10/0)

Attackers:
Teemi Pukki (Brondy IF) Age 31 (78/14), Joel Pohjanpalo (Stoke) Age 27 (67/23), Niklas Jokelainen (Lyngby) Age 21 (2/2), Vahid Hambo (Northampton) Age 26 (11/3), Dulman Mubarik (Stromsgodset) Age 21 (0/0)

October 1st:
The Finnish physio has reported that J.Touminen  will be out for around three weeks with a groin injury, I have decided against calling up a replacement

October 6th:
I have been requested to choose the sides Captain and Vice Captain and I decided to stick with T.Sparv and R.Schuller. I will probably look at their roles after the World Cup qualifying campaign has finished.

October 7th:
Cyprus (GSP, Nicosia) World Cup Qualifying Grp 3 (7/10)
My first game in charge of the Finnish side it was a barn stormer. It was Cyprus who started the better and on the 12th minute A.Kyriakou barged into the area and fired under J.Joronen. However my players reacted well and on the 26th minute we equalised with T.Pukki running onto a P.Forsell through-ball and wasted no time in firing past the keeper. The game was back and forth and with two minutes remaining in the half  C.Stylianou headed in past J.Joronen after my defence failed to deal with a simple ball.
The second half was eight minutes old when we equalised again as T.Pukki did the honours from just outside the area. On the hour though Cyprus came close again with a thunderous strike which saw J.Joronen at full stretch to save. On the 76th minute Cyprus managed to take the lead again as G.Pittas ran into the area unmarked and slotted in under my keeper. However my players responded well yet again and on the stroke of full time J.Pohjanpalo tapped in from close range to give us a share of the points. Attacking wise we did well but defensively we were dire, which is something I will have to address. 

Cyprus 3-3 Finland A.Kyriakou 12, C.Stylianou 43, G.Pittas 76 / T.Pukki 26, 53, J.Pohjanpalo 90

J.Joronen, P.Salminen (T.Lam), D.O'Shaughnessy (V.Moren), J.Toivio, J.Uronen, N.Alho (R.Lod), R.Schuller (capt), R.Eremenko, P.Forsell, J.Pohjanpalo, T.Pukki

Booked: J.Uronen

Other Grp 3 Results: Czech Republic 3-1 Malta, Italy 2-1 Wales

After the game I was informed that J.Uronen will miss the following game after receiving two yellow cards so far in the campaign

October 10th:
Wales (Liberty Stadium, Swansea) World Cup Qualifying Grp 3 (8/10)
Wales began the better and it wasn't long till they had the chance to take the lead but J.Joronen was on hand to block the powerful effort. On the 19th minute they had another chance with some great play but yet again J.Joronen saved well. Nine minutes later they finally broke the deadlock with B.Davies beating the offside trap with ease and firing under my keeper. Just before the half time interval we created our first chance as R.Schuller curled a powerful shot towards goal but the Welsh keeper saved well.
The second half was eight minutes old when levelled the scores as J.Pohjanpalo hit a sliced cross over the keepers head for a very fluky goal. On the hour we had another chance with T.Lam hitting in under the keeper but the ball clipped the bottom of the upright and went out. On the 72nd minute Wales were reduced to ten men after B.Davies was sent off for a second yellow card. I shouted at my players to pile forward and on the 83rd minute we had another chance with T.Pukki stinging the keepers fingers from inside the area. With time running out we had our final chance as T.Pukki again hit the crossbar after running onto a loose ball.

Wales 1-1 Finland B.Davies 28 / J.Pohjanpalo 53

J.Joronen, P.Salminen, D.O'Shaughnessy (V.Moren), J.Toivio, T.Dalle Valle (T.Lam), N.Alho, R.Schuller (capt), R.Eremenko (R.Lod), P.Forsell, J.Pohjanpalo, T.Pukki

Other Grp 3 Results: Your numpty of an author failed to screenshot them DOH!!

The table at the moment with eight games played sees Italy top on 21pts, with Czech Republic on 18pts. Wales are third with 14pts, then there is a 5pt gap to Cyprus who are on 9pts then my side Finland on 6pts and Malta are rock bottom with no points and a goal difference of -22

October 13th:
The two draws have seen my side move up to 83rd in the World a rise of four places, with Argentina top of the rankings. The most improved nation is Lithuania who went from 146th to 98th

November 3rd:
It was now time for me to choose my next squad for the final two World Cup Qualifiers, this time against Italy (3) and Malta (173)
The squad is as follows:[/b]

Goalkeepers:
Lukas Hradecky (Frankfurt) Age 31 Caps 73, Goals 0, Jesse Joronen (Shrewsbury) Age 28 (3/0),Saku-Pekka Sahigren (IF Elfsborg) Age 29 (0/0)

Defenders:
Jonas Kokko (SJK) Age 17 (0/0), Thomas Lam (Nottm Forest) Age 27 (18/0), Jere Uronen (KRC Genk) Age 27 (65/0), Teemu Dalla Valle (SJK) Age 18 (1/0), Joona Toivio (Feyenoord)  Age 33 (77/4), Valtteri Moren (Waasland-Beveren) Age 30 (39/2), Daniel O'Shaughnessy (Newport Co) Age 27 (8/0)

Midfielders:
Tim Sparv (FC Midtylland) Age 34 (75/1), Rasmus Schuller (Vorskia) Age 30 (38/1), Tommi Mlettinen (HJK) Age 21 (0/0), Robin Lod (Hamburg) Age 28 (44/5), Kaan Kairinen (En Avant de Guingamp) Age 22 (12/1), Nikolai Alho (AFC Telford) Age 28 (12/0), Petteri Forsell (Miedz) Age 31 (29/1), Roman Eremenko (CSKA Moscow) Age 34 (114/11)

Attackers:
Teemu Pukki (Brondy IF) Age 31 (80/16), Joel Pohjanpalo (Stoke) Age 27 (69/27), Niklas Jokelainen (Lyngby) Age 21 (2/2), Vahid Hambo (Northampton) Age 26 (11/3), Dulman Mubarik (Stromsgodset) Age 21 (0/0)

November 11th:
Italy (Nereo Rocco, Trieste) World Cup Qualifying Grp 3 (9/10)
Four minutes into the game we took a surprising lead as J.Kokke hit home from outside the area after the Italian midfield failed to clear a free-kick. Our joy didn't last long as on the 11th minute M.Gabbiadini hit a powerful strike into the top corner. After the goal Italy started to control the game and on the 26th minute they took the lead thanks to a well struck shot from M.Gabbiadini again.
The second half was five minutes old when R.Mandragore jinked through the area and slotted in under L.Hradecky who was slow to react. Just before the hour we managed to score as J.Uronen managed to slice the ball over L.Hradecky's head for an own goal. Their was one more goal in the game as S.El Shaarawy curled the ball in past my keeper to complete a 5-1 rout by the Italians

Italy 5-1 Finland M.Gabbiadini 11, 26, R.Mandragore 50, J.Uronen 59 og, S.El Shaarawy 74 / J.Kokke 4

L.Hradecky, J.Kokko, J.Toivio, T.Lam (V.Moren), J.Uronen, N.Alho, R.Eremenko (R.Lod), T.Sparv (capt), P.Forsell (R.Schuller), T.Pukki, J.Pohjanpalo

Booked: R.Eremenko

After the game I was informed that keeper L.Hradecky has picked up a damaged shoulder and will miss the next game. I have brought in Otso Virtanen from Hearts as his replacement

November 14th:
Malta (Helsingin Olympiastadion, Helsinki) World Cup Qualifying Grp 3 (10/10)
We started the better and on the 13th minute we had the chance to take the lead as T.Pukki played a one two with V.Hambo but the final effort went wide of the post. Ten minutes later we had another chance with a rasping effort from V.Hambo which had the Malta keeper at full stretch to save. With nine minutes remaining in the half we finally got the lead we deserved as R.Eremenko hit a thunderous effort into the top corner.
The second half was seven minutes old when the second goal was scored with V.Hambo finally getting the goal he deserved with a low strike from outside the area which beat the keeper to his near post. However after the goal my players relaxed too much and on the 76th minute Z.Muscat curled the ball in past O.Virtanen who was slow to react. Luckily for us Malta failed to get close to an equaliser.

Finland 2-1 Malta R.Eremenko 36, V.Hambo 52 / Z.Muscat 76

O.Virtanen, J.Kokko, D.O'Shaughnessy, T.Lam, J.Uronen, R.Eremenko, T.Sparv (capt), P.Forsell, T.Pukki, V.Hambo

Booked: T.Sparv

The final game of our World Cup qualification and we finished 5th out of 6 with 9pts. The table was topped by Italy who have qualified automatically, 2nd place was Czech Republic with Wales 3rd, Cyprus 4th and Malta propping up the table with zero points four goals and thirty goals against.
The FA have stated that they are disappointed with the way the side performed in the qualification process even though I was only in charge for four of the games. They understand however that it was a tough draw and have said they would like me stay on but if things don't improve I will out on my rear end in so many words.

November 17th:
Despite failure to qualify for the World Cup we have moved up five places to 78th in the World Rankings, with Argentina still top. The most improved nation was Azerbaijan who moved up from 149th to 102nd

December 2nd:
The World Rankings have been released and we have dropped down two places to 80th. Argentina are still top and Palestine were the most improved nation as they rose from 136th to 123rd.

January 12th 2022:
We have remained in 80th place in the World Rankings and Argentina haven't moved from top spot. The most improved nation was Nepal who moved from 180th to 168th

February 16th:
Again we are stayed at 80th in the World Ranking with Argentina still the top dogs win World football. Mali hare the most improved nation as they have moved from 72nd to 65th

March 16th:
Now this is why the World Rankings are such a farce in my opinion as we have moved up six places to 74th in the World despite not playing since November last year. Argentina remain top with Northern Ireland the most improved nation as they have moved from 83rd to 73rd

March 25th:
It seems to be sacking season in English football as I have been offered both the Cardiff City job and the Rotherham United job. I have declined both jobs as it would be wrong to leave Finland after such a short period.

April 13th:
The World rankings see us remain in 74th with you've guessed it Argentina on the top. The most improved nation is Myanmar who rose from 148th to 128th

May 18th:
We have moved up a single place to 73rd in the World with Argentina remaining on top. The most improved nation is St Kitts & Nevis who moved a whole three places from 149th to 146th

May 27th:
Some actual interesting news for you lot as the draw for the European International League Division B has taken place and we have been drawn in Division B Grp 3 against Rep. Ireland and Wales

Season Seven 2022/23:
July 13th 2022:
We have dropped a place in the World Ranking to 74th with Brazil top of the pile....Nahh only joking its still Argentina. New Zealand are the most improved nation after rising from 101st to 87th in the World

August 20th:
Same old same old in the World Rankings as we remain 74th and Argentina remain top. North Korea are the most improved nation rising from 92nd to 78th

August 24th:
Its time for me to actually get down to some real business as I have to decide the squad for the friendly match against Argentina (1) and the European International Division B game against Wales. The squad is as follows:-

Goalkeepers:
Jesse Joronen (Shrewsbury) Age 29 (3/0), Saku-Pekka Sahigren (IF Elfsborg) Age 30 (0/0), Otso Virtanen (Hearts) Age 28 (1/0)

Defenders:
Petteri Salminen (HJK) Age 18 (2/0), Jonas Kokko (SJK) Age 18 (2/1), Thomas Lam (Nottm Forest) Age 28 (20/0), Jere Uronen (KRC Genk) Age 28 (67/0), Valtteri Moren (Waasland-Beveren) Age 31 (40/2), Daniel O'Shaughnessy (Newport Co) Age 27 (9/0)

Midfielders:
Rasmus Schuller (Vorskia) Age 31 (39/1), Joni Kauko (Vejle) Age 32 (9/0), Alexander Ring (Kaiserslautern) Age 31 (74/3), Matti Steinmann (FC Admira Wacker) Age 27 (15/0), Miika Pitkanen (RoPS) Age 20 (0/0), Robin Lod (Hamburg) Age 29 (45/5), Kaan Kairinen (En Avant de Guingamp) Age 23 (12/1), Nikolai Alho (AFC Telford) Age 29 (14/0), Pasi Huttunen (SJK) Age 17 (0/0), Jaase Tuominen (IF Elfsborg) Age 26 (10/0)

Attacker:
Joel Pohjanpalo (Leicester) Age 27 (70/25), Niklas Jokelainen (IFK Göteborg) Age 22 (2/2), Vahid Hambo (Nottm Forest) Age 27 (12/4), Roope Riski (Munchen Lions) Age 31 (7/1)

No soon as I had named the squad I was informed that T.Lam will not be available for around a month due to injury. I have brought in Jarkko Granlund an 18yr old central defender from HJK as his replacement

August 27th:
More injury news sees N.Alho out for two weeks, I went to bring in Petteri Forsell as his replacement but he rejected the call up instead I brought in 23yr old right midfielder Aki Johansson from BK-46.

August 28th:
The press asked me about P.Forsell's rejection and I told them that he has disrespected me, the fans, his team mates and more importantly his nation and that he would not be in any of my squads in the near future.

August 31st:
Argentina (Helsingin Olympiastadion, Helsinki) Friendly
Not the start we wanted to give Argentina as with two minutes F.Lanni had fired in with pace past J.Joronen. On the 21st minute they had another chance with a well worked team move which split the defence apart with ease but J.Joronen was on hand to block the effort. Twelve minutes later we had our first chance as R.Lod curled the ball into the area but J.Pohjanpalo failed to connect with the ball and it went well wide. On the stroke of half time Argentina came close again with a rasping effort which saw J.Joronen sprawling along his line to save.
The second half was thirteen minutes old when Argentina added a second goal as M.Icardi ran through my defence with ease and slotted in under substitute Saku-Pekka Sahigren. On the 66th minute it was three nil as M.Icardi fired in his second of the game after a poor pass from D.O'Shaughnessy was intercepted. My players though reacted well to the third goal and piled forward and with four minutes remaining in the game we made it 3-1 as R.Lod sent the Helsinki crowd wild. Despite the loss I saw a lot of improvement from my players.

Finland 1-3 Argentina R.Lod 86 / F.Lanni 2, M.Icardi 58, 66

J.Joronen (Saku-Pekka Sahigren), J.Kokke (J.Granlund), V.Moren (J.Tuominen), D.O'Shaughnessy, J.Uronen, M.Pitkanen, A.Ring (M.Steinmann), K.Kairinen (R.Schuller), R.Lod, V.Hambo (P.Salminen), J.Pohjanpalo

Booked: R.Schuller

September 4th:
I have had a call from the Russian FA asking if I would be interested in taking over as their national coach with a wage of £3,700 per week. I refused the offer as I have only just started my contract with the Finnish side

September 6th:
Wales (Liberty Stadium, Swansea) European League Division.B Grp 3 (1/4)
A poor start saw us a goal down in the 9th minute as B.Woodburn jinked through the area with ease and fired under J.Joronen. My players reacted well though and on the 22nd minute we equalised as J.Pohjanpalo slotted in from close range after running onto a M.Pitkanen through-ball. Wales though started to press forward but luckily for us they couldn't get past J.Joronen.
The second half was eleven minutes old when we took the lead as V.Hambo rose above the defence and headed a K.Kairinen cross past the Welsh keeper. However straight from kick off we let ourselves down as Wales piled forward and T.Roberts hit home past J.Joronen. After the goals Wales controlled the game but we somehow managed to hold on for an underserved point.

Wales 2-2 Finland B.Woodburn 9, T.Roberts 57 / J.Pohjanpalo 22, V.Hambo 56

J.Joronen, J.Kokke, V.Moren (J.Granlund), D.O'Shaughnessy, J.Uronen, M.Pitkanen, A.Ring (M.Steinmann), K.Kairinen (R.Schuller), R.Lod, V.Hambo, J.Pohjanpalo

September 14th:
The World Rankings have been released and we have dropper to 78th with Argentina still top. The most improved nation is Comoros who rose from 115th to 70th

September 18th:
Another nation has contacted me with Iceland offering me £11,000 per week to take over their nation. I again refused the offer even though the money would be nice

September 28th:
It is now time for me to choose my next squad for the  European League game against Rep.Ireland (68) and the friendly against Spain (5)

Goalkeepers:
Jesse Joronen (Shrewsbury) Age 29 (5/0), Saku-Pekka Sahigren (IF Elfsborg) Age 30 (1/0), Otso Virtanen (hearts) Age 28 (1/0)

Defenders:
Petteri Salminen (HJK) Age 18 (3/0), Jonas Kokko (SJK) Age 18 (4/1), Teemu Dalla Valle (KPV) Age 19 (1/0), Valtteri Moren (Waasland-Beveren) Age 31 (42/2), Daniel O'Shaughnessy (Newport Co) Age 28 (11/0), Jarkko Granlund (HJK) Age 18 (2/0), J.Uronen (KRC Genk) Age 28 (69/0)

Midfielders:
Rasmus Schuller (Vorskia) Age 31 (41/1), Alexander Ring (Kaiserslautern) Age 31 (76/3), Matti Steinmann (FC Admira Wacker) Age 27 (17/0), Miika Pitkanen (RoPS) Age 20 (2/0), Robin Lod (Hamburg) Age 29 (47/6), Kaan Kairinen (En Avant de Guingamp) Age 23 (14/1), Johannes Jaaskelainen Age 22 (0/0), Pasi Huttunen (SJK) Age 17 (0/0), Jasse Tuominen (IF Elfsborg) Age 26 (11/0)

Attackers:
Vahid Hambo (Nottm Forest) Age 27 (14/5), Roope Riski (Munchen Lions) Age 31 (7/1), Joel Pohjanpalo (Leicester) Age 28 (72/26), Niklas Jokelainen (IFK Goteborg) Age 22 (2/2)

October 7th:
Rep.Ireland (Helsingin Olympiastadion, Helsinki) European League Division B Grp 3 (2/4)
We began well and on the 14th minute P.Huttunen headed home a K.Kairinen cross much to delight of the home fans. Soon after we had another chance with a rasping effort from V.Hambo which had the keeper at full stretch to save. With ten minutes remaining in the half we doubled our lead as J.Pohjanpalo showed some great skill to beat the defence and keeper to slot home into an empty net.
The second half was four minutes old when Rep.Ireland pulled a goal back with J.Barrett seeing O.Virtanen off his line and wasted no time in dinking the ball over him. Ireland were all over us and we couldn't get near the ball and on the 78th minute they equalised as J.Granlund diverted a cross past O.Virtanen. It was too easy for them and on the stroke of full time they grabbed the winner with J.McCarthy rifling in from outside the area to silence the Helsinki crowd.

Finland 2-3 Rep.Ireland P.Huttunen 14 J.Pohjanpalo 35 / J.Barrett 49, J.Granlund 78 og, J.McCarthy 90

O.Virtanen, P.Salminen, D.O'Shaughnessy, J.Granlund, T.Dalle Valle (J.Uronen), M.Pitkanen (R.Lod), K.Kairinen, J.Jaaskelainen (M.Steinmann), P.Huttunen, J.Pohjanpalo (capt), V.Hambo

Booked: J.Jaaskelainen, P.Salminen

October 11th:
Spain (Helsingin Olympiastadion, Helsinki) Friendly
Spain dominated from the beginning and piled on the pressure. On the 8th minute they came close to opening the scoring with a low effort which beat O.Virtanen but went just wide of the post. Soon after they had another chance but my keeper reacted well to deny them. On the 36th minute they finally scored with A.Morato running into the area unmarked and firing with ease under O.Virtanen.
The second half was all Spain who controlled the play with real ease but they just couldn't get past O.Virtanen who was in scintillating form but with four minutes remaining in the game he was finally beaten with a well struck effort from A.Flores which beat him into the top corner. Despite the loss I was quite pleased with the performance of my side.

Finland 0-2 Spain A.Morato 36, A.Flores 86

O.Virtanen, P.Salminen, D.O'Shaughnessy (J.Uronen), J.Granlund (V.Moren), T.Dalle Valle (J.Tuominen), M.Pitkanen, K.Kairinen, J.Jaaskelainen (R.Lod), P.Huttunen (M.Steinmann), J.Pohjanpalo (capt), V.Hambo (A.Ring)

Booked: J.Jaaskelainen

October 16th:
Not a great moment for me as my Finnish side have dropped 27 places in the World Rankings down to 105th. With Argentina still top. The most improved nation was Mozambique who went from 136th to 107th.
This ranking is Finland's worst ranking, the previous lowest was 96th in 2012

November 2nd:
Its that time again as I was asked to chose the squad for the forthcoming European League double header against Wales (37) and Rep.Ireland (61). The squad is as follows:-

Goalkeepers:
Will Jaaskelainen (Bolton) Age 24 (0/0), Jesse Joronen (Shrewsbury) Age 29 (5/0), Otso Virtanen (Hearts) Age 28 (3/0)

Defenders:
Petteri Salminen (HJK) Age 18 (5/0), Jonas Kokko (SJK) Age 18 (4/1), Thomas Lam (Nottm Forest) Age 28 (20/0), Jere Uronen (KRC Genk) Age 28 (71/0), Teemu Della Valle (KPV) Age 19 (3/0), Valtteri Moren (Waasland-Beveren) Age 31 (43/2), Daniel O'Shaughnessy (Newport Co) Age 28 (13/0), Jarkko Granlund (HJK) Age 18 (4/0)

Midfielders:
Rasmus Schuller (Vorskia) Age 31 (41/1), Alexander Ring (Kaiserslautern) Age 31 (77/2), Miika Pitkanen (RoPS) Age 20 (4/0), Robin Lod (Hamburg) Age 29 (49/6), Kaan Kairinen (En Avant de Guingamp) Age 23 (16/1), Nokolai Alho (AFC Telford) Age 29 (14/0), Roope Koskinen (HJK) Age 18 (0/0), Pasi Huttunen (SJK) Age 17 (2/1), Ilkka Karv (Lyngby) Age 21 (0/0), Jasse Tuominen (IF Elfsborg) Age 26 (12/0)

Attackers:
Joel Pohjanpalo (Leicester) Age 28 (74/27), Vahid Hambo (Nottm Forest) Age 27 (16/5)

November 11th:
Wales (Helsingin Olympiastadion, Helsinki) European League Division B Grp 3 (3/4)
The perfect start saw us taking the lead in the 2nd minute as J.Pohjanpalo beat the offside trap and fired with pace past the Welsh keeper. It got even better on the 19th minute as the same player finished off a great team move to send the crowd wild. We were all over the Welsh and on the 32nd minute J.Pohjanpalo had the chance to complete a first half hat-trick as he fire wide from the penalty spot after he was brought down in the area. With a minute remaining in the half though Wales pulled a goal back as L.Edwards headed in from close range.
The second half was an abomination as my players just collapsed. Within a minute of the restart Wales had equalised as L.Edwards grabbed his second of the game with a low shot which beat the dive of J.Joronen. On the hour Wales took the lead for the first time with L.Edwards completing his hat-trick with a brilliant shot from outside the area which beat J.Joronen with real ease.. We were being outplayed with real ease and on the 77th minute the final goal was scored with T.Roberts slotting in from close range after my defence just fell asleep. The second half performance was as bad as the first half was good.

Finland 2-4 Wales J.Pohjanpalo 2, 19 / L.Edwards 44, 46, 60, T.Roberts 77

J.Joronen, J.Kokke (J.Tuominen), V.Moren (D.O'Shaughnessy), T.Lam, J.Uronen, M.Pitkanen, R.Lod, K.Kairinen, A.Ring, V.Hambo (P.Salminen), J.Pohjanpalo (capt)

Booked: K.Kairinen

After the game I was informed that the loss to Wales resulted in us being relegated from the European League Division B

November 15th:
Rep.Ireland (Aviva Stadium, Dublin) European League Division B Grp 3 (4/4)
The final game of the group stage saw my side going a goal down within three minutes as B.Douglas barged into the area and fired under my onrushing keeper. Soon after it should have been two nil but a goal line clearance by P.Salminen saw him save our bacon. Ireland were all over us and it was a surprise that we managed to get to the half time interval without conceding again.
The second half wasn't much better and two minutes into the half Rep.Ireland added another goal with B.Douglas running into the area unmarked to slot home a low cross. Just after the hour Ireland came close to grabbing another goal with a well struck effort which saw J.Joronen at full stretch to tip the ball over the crossbar. Just before the full time whistle Ireland had another chance but yet again J.Joronen saved the day.

Rep.Ireland 2-0 Finland B.Douglas 3, 47

J.Joronen, P.Salminen, V.Moren, T.Lam, J.Uronen, M.Pitkanen, R.Schuller (capt), K.Kairinen (P.Huttunen), A.Ring, V.Hambo (J.Pohjanpalo inj 79-N.Alho), J.Tuominen

Booked: T.Lam

European International League Division B Grp 3
1st: Rep.Ireland (9pts) (Promoted)
2nd: Wales (7pts)
3rd: Finland (1pt) (Relegated)

November 20th:
We have dropped a further 8 places in the world rankings with us now 113th, Argentina are still top and the most improved nation is Guinea-Bissau who went from 108th to 78th

December 14th:
The World Rankings sees us still 113th with Argentina still top. The most improved nation was Yemen who moved from 160th to 147th

December 18th
The draw for the European Championship Qualifying stage has taken place and we were seeded in pot three. The draw sees us drawn in Group A with Andorra (210), Austria (53), Belgium (12), Georgia (96), Malta (146). Only the top side is guaranteed qualification with results between the top five positions used to sort out the 2nd placed teams table

January 18th 2023:
The World Rankings have been released and we have dropped to 114th with Argentina (zzzzzz) still top. The most improved nation was Kuwait who rose from 136th to 113th

February 15th:
We remain in 114th in the world with Argentina still top. The most improved nation this month is Guinea who rose from 96th to 47th

March 15th:
Despite not playing a game we rose two places to 112th with Argentina still top. The most improved nation was Tanzania who went from 86th to 76th

March 18th:
Its now time for me to chose my next squad for the European Championship Qualifying stage against Belgium (13) and Georgia (108). The squad is as follows:

Goalkeepers:
Jesse Joronen (Shrewsbury) Age 29 (7/0), Otso Virtanen (Hearts) Age 28 (3/0), Kimmo Mattila (HJK) Age 20 (0/0)

Defenders:
Petteri Salminen (HJK) Age 19 (7/0), Thomas Lam (Nottm Forest) Age 29 (22/0), Jere Uronen (KRC Genk) Age 28 (73/0), Jari-Pekka Berger (Odd) Age 24 (0/0), Valtteri Moren (Waasland-Beveren) Age 31 (45/2), Daniel O'Shaughnessy (Newport Co) Age 28 (14/0), Paavo Voutilainen (KuPS) Age 24 (0/0)

Midfielders:
Joni Kauko (Vejle) Age 32 (9/0), Matti Steinmann (FC Admira Wacker) Age 28 (19/0), Miika Pitkanen (RoPS) Age 20 (6/0), Robin Lod (Hamburg) Age 29 (50/6), Kaan Kairinen (En Avant de Guingamp) Age 24 (18/1), Nikolai Alho (AFC Telford) Age 30 (15/0), Peter Ojanen (Viborg FF) Age 21 (0/0), Pasi Huttunen (SJK) Age 18 (3/1), Ilkka Karv (Lyngby) Age 21 (0/0), Jaase Tuominen (Ljungskile SK) Age 27 (14/0)

Attackers:
Joel Pohjanpalo (Leicester) Age 28 (76/29), Niklas Jokelainen (IFK Goteborg) Age 23 (2/2), Vahid Hambo (Nottm Forest) Age 28 (18/5)

March 24th:
Belgium (Helsingin Olympiastadion, Helsinki) European Championship Qualifying Grp A (1/10)
Nine minutes into the game Belgium grabbed the lead with R.Lukaku barging into the area with ease and firing under the keeper. On the 28th minute it was two nil with C.Theunis showing my defence up and dinking the ball past J.Joronen. It was becoming too easy for Belgium and seven minutes later it was three nil with R.Lukaku grabbing his second of the game. With two minutes remaining in the half C.Theunis grabbed Belgium's fourth goal with a brave header which saw P.Voutilainen picking up a knock.
The second half was much the same with Belgium dominating the play and on the 64th minute we had the assistant referee to thank as he ruled out a goal for offside after. It was far too easy for Belgium however with a minute remaining in the game J.Pohjanpalo pulled a goal back after a punt upfield from J.Joronen was half volleyed past the keeper. Not a great game for the fans

Finland 1-4 Belgium J.Pohjanpalo 89 / R.Lukaku 9, 35, C.Theunis 28, 43

J.Joronen, T.Lam, V.Moren, P.Voutilainen (J.Uronen), J.Berger, N.Alho (M.Steinmann), I.Karv, K.Kairinen (M.Pitkanen), P.Huttunen, N.Jokelainen, J.Pohjanpalo (capt)

Booked: V.Moren, T.Lam

March 27th:
Georgia (Mikhell Meskhi, Tbilisi) European Championship Qualifying Grp A (2/10)
A must win game in my eyes and I told the players as much however Georgia grabbed the early lead as R.Chanturia jinked through the defence with ease and fired past the slow to react J.Joronen. Soon after they had another chance with a curling effort which went just wide of the upright. After the chance my players started to perform and on the 33rd minute we had our first chance of the game as N.Jokelainen tried his luck from thirty five yards but the keeper managed to get a finger on it and save the ball. With six minutes remaining in the half we levelled the game as J.Pohjanpalo slotted in from six yards after beating the keeper to a low cross.
The second half was all my side as we piled on the pressure but for all our pressure we just couldn't get through and we had to settle for a point

Georgia 1-1 Finland R.Chanturia 3 / J.Pohjanpalo 39

J.Joronen, T.Lam, V.Moren (J.Uronen), P.Voutilainen, J.Berger, N.Alho, I.Karv, K.Kairinen, P.Huttunen (M.Steinmann), N.Jokelainen (M.Pitkanen), J.Pohjanpalo (capt)

After the first double header of the campaign we are bottom of the group with single point five points behind top spot Belgium. However we are only bottom due to goal against. Lets hope the next round of games are alittle better for my side 

April 12th:
The World Rankings sees us move up two places to 110th in the World with Argentina still holding that top spot. The most improved nation is the Cayman Islands who moved from 178th to 130th 

May 17th:
Despite not kicking a ball since March we have moved up another place to 109th with Argentina the top dogs. The most improved side is St Vincent who moved from 140th to 127th

May 31st: 
It is now time for me choose the squad for the Euro Qualifiers against Austria (58) and Malta (152). The squad is as follows:-

Goalkeepers:
Jesse Joronen (Shrewsbury) Age 30 (9/0), Otso Virtanen (Hearts) Age 29 (3/0), Kimmo Mattila (HJK) Age 20 (0/0)

Defenders:
Petteri Salminen (HJK) Age 19 (7/0), Jonas Kokko (SJK) Age 19 (5/1), Thomas Lam (Nottm Forest) Age 29 (24/0), Jere Uronen (KRC Genk) Age 28 (75/0), Jari-Pekka Berger (Odd) Age 24 (2/0), Valtteri Moren (Waasland-Beveren) Age 31 (47/2), Daniel O'Shaughnessy (Newport Co) Age 28 (14/0)

Midfielders:
Joni Kauko (Vejle) Age 32 (9/0), Matti Steinmann (FC Admira Wacker) Age 28 (21/0), Miika Pitkanen (RoPS) Age 20 (8/0), Kaan Kairinen (En Avant de Guingamp) Age 24 (20/1), Nikolai Alho (AFC Telford) Age 30 (17/0), Peter Ojanen (Viborg FF) Age 21 (0/0), Pasi Huttunen (SJK) Age 18 (5/1), Ilkka Karv (Lyngby) Age 21 (2/0), Jasse Tuominen (Ljungskile SK) Age 27 (14/0)

Attackers:
Niklas Jokelainen (IFK Goteborg) Age 23 (4/2), Vahid Hambo (Nottm Forest) Age 28 (18/5), Joel Pohjanpalo (Leicester) Age 28 (78/31)

June 9th:
Austria (Helsingin Olympiastadion, Helsinki) European Championship Qualifying Grp A (3/10)
Another poor start saw us being dominated and on the 15th minute we went a goal down as M.Honsak gave Austria the lead with a well struck effort from just inside the area. Just after the half hour mark it was two nil with M.Gregoritsch hitting the back of the net with a powerful shot. With four minutes remaining in the half my side were reduced to ten men after D.O'Shaughnessy was sent off for a second yellow card.
The second half was all Austria and on the 64th minute they came close to adding a third with a penalty after V.Moren fouled in the area, however luckily for us the penalty was well saved. Austria carried on the forward pressure but my ten men defended well to deny Austria any further goals

Finland 0-2 Austria M.Honsak 15, M.Gregoritsch 33 

O.Virtanen, P.Salminen, T.Lam, D.O'Shaughnessy, J.Uronen (V.Moren), M.Pitkanen, M.Steinmann (N.Alho), K.Kairinen (J.Kauko), P.Ojanen, N.Jokelainen (V.Hambo), J.Pohjanpalo (capt)

Booked: K.Kairinen, D.O'Shaughnessy, M.Steinmann, J.Uronen
Sent off: D.O'Shaughnessy (2 yellow cards)

June 12th:
Malta (Ta'Qali, Mdina) European Championship Qualifying Grp A (4/10)
For some reason we don't start the game well and on the 5th minute S.Magri fired in from penalty spot after P.Salminen fouled in the area. Ten minutes later though we equalised as J.Pohjanpalo beat the offside trap and slotted in under the keeper. On the 18th minute we took the lead as N.Jokelainen showed great pace to beat the defence and wasted no time in firing past the keeper. Just after the half hour we added another goal with V.Moren heading in a P.Ojanen corner. However my side fell asleep again and on the 41st minute J.Paul Gauci ran through the defence and fired in past O.Virtanen. Straight from kick off a poor pass was intercepted and J.Paul Gauci equalised for Malta.
The second half didn't start great for us as Malta piled forward and on the 51st minute they took the lead as Z.Muscat rattled in from outside the area. After the goal my players reacted well and started to press forward and on the 76th minute J.Pohjanpalo levelled the scores with a well worked team move which split the defence apart and fired past the keeper. With six minutes remaining in the game we made it 5-4 as V.Hambo headed home a K.Kairinen cross. A barnstormer of a game

Malta 4-5 Finland S.Magri 5 pen, J.Paul Gauci 41, 42, Z.Muscat 51 / J.Pohjanpalo 15, 76, N.Jokelainen 18, V.Moren 32, V.Hambo 84

O.Virtanen, P.Salminen (J.Kokko), T.Lam, V.Moren, J.Uronen, M.Pitkanen (capt), M.Steinmann, K.Kairinen, P.Ojanen, N.Jokelainen (V.Hambo), J.Pohjanpalo[/u]

This second round of games sees us moving up to 4th in the table on 4pts but we are 8pts behind group leaders Belgium.
Also on a more happier note Joel Pohjanpalo's brace against Malta sees him becoming Finland's all time leading goalscorer on 33 goals. The previous holder was Jari Litmanen 

Season Eight 2023/24:
July 7th 2023:
I was contacted by the Uruguayan FA asking if I would be interested in taking over Uruguay after their manager had resigned. I asked if I could take a couple of days to decide which they agreed too …..........

Archived