Take a team from a rubbbish league into Europe (and win)?

Is it even possible? Say, a Welsh Premier League team or, even worse, one from Northern Ireland?

I've noticed that Linfield (N.I) have an absolutely ridiculous number of domestic competition wins, but the squad is so dire - compared to those in Europe - they'll never make the Champions League proper, certainly not with me as manager. But has anyone here ever managed it with a similarly bad team?

How do you even attract players to improve the squad with such a low league reputation? And how do you increase the league reputation when you're so bad you can't win enough to increase it? It's a vicious circle. I can understand taking a lowly team like Telford up through the leagues in England until they reach the Premier League, and on in to Europe. But the aforementioned Linfield are already at the top domestically, yet probably not even as good as a Vanarama National League team.
It's something I'd love to try but I doubt my managerial skills are good enough to get anywhere near it, so just asking if any of the more skilled managers on here have done it/do it often...

I used a friend's tactic last night with Linfield, the tactic is a 4-4-2 that in my opinion is game-breaking (for example, as Liverpool I beat Real Madrid 8-0, and Barcelona 6-0 in the Champions League final).

Anyway I managed to qualify for the Champions League group phase, beating Rijeka, RB Salzburg, and Ludogorets along the way before drawing Chelsea, SLB, and Dynamo Kyiv in our group. The board were "very pleased" we made the group phase, when in reality they would be beyond ecstatic. I had just hit the jackpot, earning the club over £11m in one go, plus all the money that was to come with a few of the biggest and most lucrative matches Linfield would ever play. I'm really not surprised it was anti-climactic though, since that's the hallmark of FM when it comes to manager achievements and recognition. 

I resigned and holidayed to January to see how they would get on - P6 W0 D0 L6 F1 A27 - absolutely out of their depth.

As a final point, I declared Luis Suarez my top target, and got this news item:

Messi EDT.png

Apparently Lionel Messi would be tempted by Linfield, I was only hoping to get some funny responses from my players about my sense of humour.

Archived