Who’s the Best Ai manager

39 minutes ago, Nacaw said:

The game likes Mourinho's tactic, in my experience.

I think, in-game, the players Mourinho has perform better than in IRL being driven by attributes and personality.

By the same token, Pep at City must be under-performing in-game because that squad is incredible.

@Snorks I think you've got it spot on. I've had maybe one save where United didn't win the title first season (other than my one managing them where it took me 3), and none since the January transfers update. More often than not Pep gets sacked and Luis Enrique replaces him. 

I've found Simeone's Atletico sides to be formidable, in particular once Diego Costa can be registered - although I've only met them with teams who would probably be considered a level below them (a very strong Ajax team and a Real Sociedad team who have beaten them in two cup finals), and I think in-game Simeone is better than rl Simeone at getting performances out of his technically gifted midfielders like Koke and Saul. 

Tactically I don't know anything about him but on the aforementioned Real Sociedad save Nigel Clough managed to go from Burton (who he had been relegated then promoted with twice) to West Ham (safely mid-table in the Prem according to their league finishes) in 2020. Although Burton finished 16th in the season he left halfway through so I wonder if he was massively overachieving that season and then his predecessor started them down towards their next season's relegation (I don't have Championship loaded in that save so can't tell from looking back through results).

Tactics wise or attribute wise?

I think Pep is near enough close to 20/20 attribute-wise, he's phenomenal. But he always seems to under-perform in the game for me. 

Though, I don't really keep an eye out beyond the Premier League so I couldn't say who performs as they should out of that. I know Arsenal tend to be fairly strong if they get a good start and apparently so can United.

In terms of Ai managers attributes and programmed prefers tactics..  I was wondering if the attributes and tactics for each manager makes them as successful or failure as to reall life outcomes,  Iv watched a lot of people’s long term saves on YouTube and it appears Klopp and his tactics in the game often see him sacked..  

if we all agreed say pep was the best manager in real life, To have him emulate this in FM woukd it depend on how his chosen tactic works with the coded match engine?...

theres lots of experiments on the net be it club finances or player experiments but Iv not seen any manager experiments..

What kind of test could be done with a handful and of Ai managers to find out who is the best?  

I think in FM a lot of outcomes are a response to reputation be it club, player or manager.  Do you guys think Ai managers are accurate to the playing styles in real life?

I'm in the year 2029 in my current save and Mourinho is still at Man U and having great success. I'll admit I don't pay attention to his tactics as the only time I face them is during CL matches with my Barcelona squad and it's ALWAYS a battle. Perhaps over the years, the AI has had him adapt as a manager to survive? I doubt it's the "Park the Bus" tactic he's know for and certainly not his "Throw your Players Under the Bus" philosophy that he employs IRL nowadays when things aren't going well. 

Zidane & Simeone coached teams are always tough as well regardless of which teams they're coaching (and they switch teams frequently) when I face them as well. Guardiola, not so much. 

In my current save Mourinho has won back-to-back titles with United (from game start). They are ridiculously tough to beat as well. Not only that, but José seems to have been coded perfectly (personality wise) because he's basically an asshole in media interactions. It's funny though, you almost forget it's just a game :D 

1 hour ago, Phillybear said:

Klopp, Pochettino, and Pep all underperform in all of my saves.

Mourinho, Simeone, and Marcelino all overperform.

I think there's a clear pattern here that other people already pointed out.

Is it due to the defensive nature they adopt?   I watched a test, where Wenger was given the Real Madrid job, he dominated for about 5 years winning everything,  his tactics are very Attacking.

I think it would be interesting to look in the editor at the tactical attributes assigned to Guardiola, Mourinho, Pochettino, Klopp etc. and then discuss here if they reflect theird style IRL. Then we could agree to change some of these attributes and launch a test, to see how they will perform.

5 hours ago, Phillybear said:

That's my experience as well. Klopp RARELY makes it past season 1 (I'm sure I've had 10+ different saves), Pep usually fares even worse. Pochettino likewise.

On the other hand, Mourinho is into his 6th season with United and is winning everything. They are so hard to beat (I've yet to do so in the league). Simeone's Atlético dumped my Liverpool (holders) out of the Champions League 5-1 on aggregate, at the first KO round. 

Looking at the managers and thier preferd playing styles must show a tactic trait?   Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino all play a form of high press offensive tactic?

Mourinho, Simeone, and Marcelino play a more defensive Counter Attacking tactic?

to throw in confusion, the Wenger experiment saw him win countless Trophies were as Pochettino was less effective..  

in recent versions of FM there was a way of being able to see exactly how the Ai managers set there tactics with TI and PI’s but can’t remember how.

Imo if Guardiola plays attacking In real life and it makes him one of the best managers in the world then the game should emulate this in the ME?  

I

1 ora fa, wayne'o ha scritto:

Looking at the managers and thier preferd playing styles must show a tactic trait?   Klopp, Guardiola and Pochettino all play a form of high press offensive tactic?

Mourinho, Simeone, and Marcelino play a more defensive Counter Attacking tactic?

to throw in confusion, the Wenger experiment saw him win countless Trophies were as Pochettino was less effective..  

in recent versions of FM there was a way of being able to see exactly how the Ai managers set there tactics with TI and PI’s but can’t remember how.

Imo if Guardiola plays attacking I real life and it makes hone one of the best managers in the world then the game should emulate this in the ME?  

I think the game should emulate it well if the inputs are correct, I think we should have a look at the tactical attributes of Guardiola and Klopp vs Simeone and Mourinho in order to understand which are the attributes that have a major impact on performance.

12 hours ago, Phillybear said:

Really? Marcelino hasn't done great in any of my saves, and Klopp won the CL with Liverpool on my Lyon save but seems to be 50/50 between success and sacking. Agree r.e. Poch, Pep, Mourinho and Simeone though. Best I've seen Pochettino do is maintain Spurs as an EL finishing team, worst is he went back to Espanyol then got sacked before he could relegate them despite the 10th best squad on paper and no injury crisis. 

Part of it might be the players - I imagine some of United's players may be downgraded in the new game, Atletico have a better squad than City on FM18 imo and I would expect to see the likes of Sterling improved. 

It seems possibly Mourinho or his stats and preferd playing style suits fm..  I say run a season in epl with a normal data base then do a new run but use Mourinho’s stats and formations and give them to Pochettino, Klopp etc see if it improves thier overall results.  I can’t belive Liverpool and Spurs don’t have good enough squads to challenge top 4 for at least 4 seasons in.

13 hours ago, wayne'o said:

Imo if Guardiola plays attacking In real life and it makes him one of the best managers in the world then the game should emulate this in the ME?  

Wenger plays a different style from all of them; he's neither high press or counter-attack. He's simply old-fashion possession attack when he has better players than his opponent.

This 2018 ME is bad at interpreting high press as a team instruction; it leaves the defense disorganized and weak against direct counter-attack. I believe this is intended as a way to make direct football work better than previous years.

2 hours ago, Phillybear said:

Wenger plays a different style from all of them; he's neither high press or counter-attack. He's simply old-fashion possession attack when he has better players than his opponent.

This 2018 ME is bad at interpreting high press as a team instruction; it leaves the defense disorganized and weak against direct counter-attack. I believe this is intended as a way to make direct football work better than previous years.

I found that having Close Down Much More as a team instruction, but dialling it back with my back four PIs works pretty well.

DCs have Close Down Much Less, and FBs Close Down Less overriding the TI te nthe back for, while high u the pitch, will hold a line pretty well - the rest of the team pressing high forces opposition back, and the back four just seem to pick off any forward balls they play.

32 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Mourinho seems to win a lot in my save- does that make him the best??

In almost every single fM17 save I've ever had he is winning for a decade straight, except this one. He was almost sacked (I'm City) when they were laboring around 7th. We're in the second season and he's turning it around.

1 hour ago, FrazT said:

Mourinho seems to win a lot in my save- does that make him the best??

Does it mean Mourinho is over rated compared to other managers or does the game just prefer his style of play? Maybe both?

recently Iv watched so many different experiments online and in most cases Utd have won the Prem like 8 years in a row, seems excessive?

so Utd keep winning the league? The way to test would be run the game with other managers in charge of Utd and see if they can replicate Utd dominance.

Archived