Official Football Manager 2019 Announcement

• Replies 570
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

Apologies, there was an error which has since been corrected. No Linux version this year. As Miles' stated on twitter, it was no longer financially viable:

What? No Linux Version? Oh man... Goodbye FM19 :(

29 minutes ago, shadster said:

Nice trailer! I know that's probably not going to change soon, but it would be so nice if SI could launch the game earlier, on September or October,it always seems forever since the season starts until we can play with our team on FM. And how cool would it be if finally this year FM gives us a decent training system? But I will not get my hopes high on this either..

2 Options:

1- They didn't show any gameplay because nothing new (or good) will be in the next game,so cinematic hype, or

2- They made some requested overhauls and are feeding the hype to give us more hype.

Looking at the last FM's, I would say 1 is the call,but the 2 would be nice to have.

a little question, I don't know the situation exactly, but remember that there were some problems with it.

Will I be able to activate and play pre-release beta (international version) on China PR territory? 

25 minutes ago, crusty said:

What? No Linux Version? Oh man... Goodbye FM19 :(

Yup. Bye-bye. Installing Windows, even as Dual-Boot, is not happening, folks. You lost a customer here.

Edited by j4y_z

4 minutes ago, crusty said:

Come on lads, give the penguin some love. Don't stop the linux support!

The problem is from whats been posted in this thread, that not enough Linux users are buying the game to make developing a Linux version finanically viable. No amount of posts is going to change that unfortunately.

40 minutes ago, masno said:

2 Options:

1- They didn't show any gameplay because nothing new (or good) will be in the next game,so cinematic hype, or

2- They made some requested overhauls and are feeding the hype to give us more hype.

Looking at the last FM's, I would say 1 is the call,but the 2 would be nice to have.

The trailer is purely cinematic, and there is no reveal till September, so there's not much point in making assumptions on what will be, or not be in FM19. Just have to wait and see

8 minutes ago, decapitated said:

The problem is from whats been posted in this thread, that not enough Linux users are buying the game to make developing a Linux version finanically viable. No amount of posts is going to change that unfortunately.

Yeah, but why carrying it with you for 5 years and not calling it an experiment after the first or second year?

Edited by j4y_z

4 minutes ago, j4y_z said:

Yeah, but why carrying it with you for 5 years and not calling it an experiment after the first or second year?

Yes that doesn't make sense to me either. Stopping now, because of financial aspect is bad, after so many years of supporting it.... Its like, hey you are not enough for us to make any profit. Buy you some windows code and then you can buy our game again... No i will not!

Edited by crusty

Yeah maybe we are special snowflakes and yes i understand that they have to make profit, but i'm just dissapointed and i have to say that. Maybe they will think about their decision, because their are many linux users in germany!

Come on guys, i don't want to end my FM Career! :(

Edited by crusty

29 minutes ago, YasoKuul said:

It doesn't matters, the Steam Hardware & Software Survey: July 2018 shows that Linux is only 0,49% of all OS versions: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey?l=english

It does not explain why they carried it along for 5 years instead of stopping it after the first bad year. As Miles said, Linux sales dropped from year 1, so I would have guessed they cancel it after the second year at the latest. As @davehanson said, no business can afford supporting a product that loses money. But they did for 5 years.

15 minutes ago, crusty said:

... because their are many linux users in germany!

Well, obviously there are not.

Edited by j4y_z

4 minutes ago, j4y_z said:

It does not explain why they carried it along for 5 years instead of stopping it after the first bad year. As Miles said, Linux sales dropped from year 1, so I would have guessed they cancel it after the second year at the latest. As @davehanson said, no business can afford supporting a product that loses money. But they did for 5 years.

To be fair, they could have decided to go that route for a set number of years, not only for the sales numbers, but also as a learning experience. The team know how to get the game running on Linux, so if they decide to do it again in the future they should be ready. But currently it's not viable financially at the moment, as Miles stated.

After 1 year...im back to this Forum with a smile in my face...seems that someone noticed that the 18 version wasn't a good version..

i just wanna ask for a game that the ball didnt gets BiG as a baloon imitating an arcade game (that was awful in 18 version)

gradient colors?, please dont! that was a nightmare!!

video resolutions? C'mon...of course there is something wrong there, every version has LOTS of resolutions according with our monitor and graphic board
why FM18 didn't?...

well, let's see...

12 hours ago, XaW said:

To be fair, they could have decided to go that route for a set number of years, not only for the sales numbers, but also as a learning experience. The team know how to get the game running on Linux, so if they decide to do it again in the future they should be ready. But currently it's not viable financially at the moment, as Miles stated.

Also costs aren't necessarily static. Its all speculation but it could be the case that it's only now thatbthe development and support costs have reached point where it's no longer viable to compared to the number of customers. In any case, that's the decision now, which while it's big shame for Linux users, is an understandable one. 

12 hours ago, j4y_z said:

Isn't this a probable indication that the changes and/or new features in this year will be significantly greater than recent years?

Updating a code is much cheaper than rewriting one. And let's be honest, the last 5 versions did not look like much work each year. 

It's that time of the year again where we all hope we're gonna see something bigger than last year's edition + twitter integration and pre match tactical meetings with no effect whatsoever. Not even thinking on preordering this until I see a full feature list.

18 hours ago, crusty said:

Yeah maybe we are special snowflakes and yes i understand that they have to make profit, but i'm just dissapointed and i have to say that. Maybe they will think about their decision, because their are many linux users in germany!

Come on guys, i don't want to end my FM Career! :(

fm doesnt work with wine?

4 hours ago, thizaum said:

Isn't this a probable indication that the changes and/or new features in this year will be significantly greater than recent years?

Updating a code is much cheaper than rewriting one. And let's be honest, the last 5 versions did not look like much work each year. 

Could be that there is much more of a visible overhaul this year, though I wouldn't say the previous versions weren't hard work. 

29 minutes ago, kosecki99 said:

Football manager 2019 needs a radical change in the tactics section, needs more tactical options. Creating a successful tactic is very easy ...

You mean successful and unrealistic tactics like 3 strikers in FM18 and strikerless in FM17.

Edited by russell9

8 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Also costs aren't necessarily static. Its all speculation but it could be the case that it's only now thatbthe development and support costs have reached point where it's no longer viable to compared to the number of customers. In any case, that's the decision now, which while it's big shame for Linux users, is an understandable one. 

A very valid point and quite possibly the reason. Agreed it’s a shame, but if the user base just isn’t there it’s not much other choice.

In the game details section on steam it says  In Football Manager 2019 YOU are the author of your club’s success: you define the tactics and style of play, and drive player recruitment to build the ultimate squad. You take an active role on the training ground, developing your squad and fine-tuning the preparations for upcoming matches.   

could it be a hint that training has been reworked as in its current state you are not in an active role. hasn't said that in the previous games.

On 06/08/2018 at 07:00, Neil Brock said:

With redesigned logos, loads of new and improved features, and the implementation of the DFL Bundesliga license for the first time, Football Manager 2019 is set to be even more comprehensive in its realism than ever before.

Redesigned logos? This must be in reference to logos within the game rather than the new Football Manager logo, since it could not possibly have an effect on the game's comprehensiveness or realism.

On 06/08/2018 at 20:08, gmilitao_scr said:

Hopefully a new training system and a better match engine, with more variability of plays, goals, celebrations and more... can't wait the feature list!

This is what i'm hoping for 

On 06/08/2018 at 10:47, Tony Wright 747 said:

I pretty much feel the same way, and more realistic looking stadiums, not so bright lighting and far less replica shirts in the crowd

"Far less replica shirts in the crowd" I genuinely can't tell if this criticism is a joke or not

7 hours ago, Weston said:

"Far less replica shirts in the crowd" I genuinely can't tell if this criticism is a joke or not

This criticism has been expressed on many threads this year.  Apart from a few world cup matches I have not seen many matches where 95% of the crowd are wearing replica shirts.  I think in FM16 the balance was about right. At least SI are aware of this and I believe they will tone it down in the future.

23 minutes ago, Tony Wright 747 said:

This criticism has been expressed on many threads this year.  Apart from a few world cup matches I have not seen many matches where 95% of the crowd are wearing replica shirts.  I think in FM16 the balance was about right. At least SI are aware of this and I believe they will tone it down in the future.

It's been expressed repeatedly by the same small group of people mind. And really, in the grand scheme of things, there are more critical things that could be looked at first. Hardly a game breaker

37 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

It's been expressed repeatedly by the same small group of people mind. And really, in the grand scheme of things, there are more critical things that could be looked at first. Hardly a game breaker

I would quite agree it is not a game breaker and I think I actually said as much in another thread somewhere, however it is all about attention to detail and if something is in the game it needs to be done well or don't include it, dont have stadiums or crowds just have the pitch, yes I know you can turn them off, but if it there get it right.  Neil Brock has acknowledgd the problem and that they are looking to put it right, hopefully in FM19

18 hours ago, Spedding said:

In the game details section on steam it says  In Football Manager 2019 YOU are the author of your club’s success: you define the tactics and style of play, and drive player recruitment to build the ultimate squad. You take an active role on the training ground, developing your squad and fine-tuning the preparations for upcoming matches.   

could it be a hint that training has been reworked as in its current state you are not in an active role. hasn't said that in the previous games.

No, it's just the same as we've always done. 'General Training: Fitness Low>High'.

Only things I would like to see changed in fm19 are:

get rid of unhappiness so stupid, you even have youth players crying, because they think they should be in 1st 11.

chatting to the press get assman to do it all so boring.

Sort out the scouting so your scouts actually scout players or countries you've asked them to and it isn't my scouts they are mostly

5stars with high adapt ability and potential but they pick plebs from god knows where.

2002ish Pentium 4 still the target for the base requirements :eek: --- now I don't have a super computer myself. And management games have never pushed the envelope (even though you could easily slow down any system if you just push the size of your database). But it's hard to imagine that this doesn't impact development. Like the calculations, the load that can be put on the CPU as a minimum, thus the complexity of AI, transfer markets, financial simulations. Even the match engine itself. And the inherent structure of the code -- none of these chips were 64bit, supported any modern instructions.

In the future there may need to be a cut-off line. To joke a little, that's as if CM4 had been still developed for Amiga 500 (provided they were equipped with a "cutting edge" CD ROM and a memory upgrade). :D You can get mobile phones that have more raw computing power than a Pentium 4. It's been almost two decades after all. Which makes you wonder how many of these are actually still in use, day to day, even amongst FM players, who typically are neither gamers nor particularly tech savvy.

Edited by Svenc

What I hope:

I hope they make the UI more imersive, if you in training tab you have training ground as a background

Make training more interesting you can test your tactic with first team vs rotation player

Actually see your player train

No brexit or any other political issue

Copy and paste system so you don't waste time choese set pieces taker and set assignment for scout ing

Better Fantasy draft this is the best feature to play with friends

Add challenge on Fantasy draft like only 100m> price tag or only under 23 player

I'm already statisfied with how to make tactics and match engine so surprise me with some improvement

No need for new role but maybe I like if there is a generic role in every position like CM(s) in midfield

Make AI even harder I like challenge

6 hours ago, Svenc said:

2002ish Pentium 4 still the target for the base requirements :eek: --- now I don't have a super computer myself. And management games have never pushed the envelope (even though you could easily slow down any system if you just push the size of your database). But it's hard to imagine that this doesn't impact development. Like the calculations, the load that can be put on the CPU as a minimum, thus the complexity of AI, transfer markets, financial simulations. Even the match engine itself. And the inherent structure of the code -- none of these chips were 64bit, supported any modern instructions.

In the future there may need to be a cut-off line. To joke a little, that's as if CM4 had been still developed for Amiga 500 (provided they were equipped with a "cutting edge" CD ROM and a memory upgrade). :D You can get mobile phones that have more raw computing power than a Pentium 4. It's been almost two decades after all. Which makes you wonder how many of these are actually still in use, day to day, even amongst FM players, who typically are neither gamers nor particularly tech savvy.

All of that can be scaled I'd imagine.  A calculation can be as complex as you want it to be, but you can still eventually get the result on a poor processor that you can on a faster one.  There may be certain things they miss out on, but from a pure product perspective, it likely makes far more sense to pitch low and allow everyone to play than it does to jack up the requirements.  They know exactly what specs people play on, and I'm sure it's been mentioned before by them that you'd be surprised at some of the bricks people use.

On 08/08/2018 at 10:26, themadsheep2001 said:

I like it as it is and agree with you. It's a good way of determining who has the most fans out of the home and away side when you are playing. You've also got the problem that with creating spectators in non-team colours, SI would have to put time and energy in making sure there was enough variety in spectator dress or otherwise people would be annoyed the crowd seemed to be all wearing a variation on the same number of outfits or so. There's also regional variation as would a football fan in Cardiff dress the same as one in Dubai or Lagos or Shanghai?. All in all, SI have more important things to worry about than this.

1 hour ago, decapitated said:

I like it as it is and agree with you. It's a good way of determining who has the most fans out of the home and away side when you are playing. You've also got the problem that with creating spectators in non-team colours, SI would have to put time and energy in making sure there was enough variety in spectator dress or otherwise people would be annoyed the crowd seemed to be all wearing a variation on the same number of outfits or so. There's also regional variation as would a football fan in Cardiff dress the same as one in Dubai or Lagos or Shanghai?. All in all, SI have more important things to worry about than this.

As I have already said, I believe SI had got it about right in FM16