The Kings of Counter

Main setup:

2093918216_ScreenShot2018-08-05at19_38_02.thumb.png.c71f855f9357e48b5a01cd59ce77a826.png

(How cool do the links between the central 4 look?)

Individual instructions:

ML/Rs

535215563_ScreenShot2018-08-05at19_39_13.thumb.png.32f29e489f1c28942576a19abb7a5851.png

Strategy

As you can see, this is a super compact 451 based almost entirely around overly aggressive counter attacks. Once the team gets the ball it's fed to one of the "offensive" midfield 5. The other four then bomb forward to support and provide options. The attacks can start and end with any of the offensive 5 so if one avenue isn't working there's another four to go. The goals are spread pretty evenly throughout those five positions, with a couple of goals coming from set pieces as well. If you want high scoring defenders, you're not going to get any here. The "Play Out of Defence" instruction is there so they distribute cleanly to the attacking half of the team whenever possible. My first season was a variation of this, except with an actual striker, but felt the counter movements could be better and more exciting to watch, so here it is. Here's the first 6 months of my season using this formation:

1724990746_ScreenShot2018-08-05at20_00_04.thumb.png.47837b23b36687d39c41b8bc817bfc69.png

Everything here is based heavily on the discussions and theories of @Cleon and @Rashidi . Questions, comments, criticisms? ;) 

I love it! That must be an absolute nightmare to play against, if you are trying to break it down. Commit too many people forward and bam, counter.

What happens when you play against a team that is not committing a lot of people forward? Do you still counter as effectively against, for example, a team with 4-1 at the back and no attacking roles in defence? 

It's not as effective against super defensive teams, but even with a slow build one of the offensive 5 will eventually break through (usually a winger in this case due to their pace), allowing the others to give chase. The formation its up against doesn't seem to make too much difference, but parking-the-bus sides are always harder to break down.

My keeper distributes to the fullbacks, but it's only him and the wingers with individual instructions.

I pretty much only use defensive forwards these days. They seem to stay more central and work harder with the ball. Finished first in the league during season one rotating silmani and Gayle in the role.

That's definitely not the Mentality I expected to see! Expected either Defensive or Counter. Looking at the duties, I'm assuming you're less reliant on ME triggered counters? Did you originally try the other Mentalities?

I like out of the box thinking, so :thup: for the thread.

Loving this as i am trying to replicate real madrid’s 4141 against bayern in last season’s champions league with ronaldo upfront alone in a counter sort of arrangement. Will play around with what you have here. Good tactic and nice results👍

First full season results:

1131113104_ScreenShot2018-08-09at19_24_47.thumb.png.b9b8a2c9cbd9cba280275f977893626d.png

3 of the losses and 6 of the conceded goals came in the last 5 games where I was resting players for Champions League matches (and my squad is woefully thin).

On 05/08/2018 at 20:00, Ackter said:

How cool do the links between the central 4 look?)

:D

I came up with this idea in my Leverkusen strikerless season but didnt use it. Bit bored of that save now and with new prem season underway this weekend im thinking of a quick fun new save to try it out on. Need a stacked midfield or budget to play with... Was thinkin Everton, Saints or Palace. 

1469585641_Deeprunnersspace.thumb.JPG.0708b31af5b96ef37ed15958f5c26703.JPG.50eff33ffcbcaabd20b05500f1f1f416.JPG

Wonder if the two svs and 3 cms will create 5 man dynamic links :cool:

5 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

:D

I came up with this idea in my Leverkusen strikerless season but didnt use it. Bit bored of that save now and with new prem season underway this weekend im thinking of a quick fun new save to try it out on. Need a stacked midfield or budget to play with... Was thinkin Everton, Saints or Palace. 

1469585641_Deeprunnersspace.thumb.JPG.0708b31af5b96ef37ed15958f5c26703.JPG.50eff33ffcbcaabd20b05500f1f1f416.JPG

Wonder if the two svs and 3 cms will create 5 man dynamic links :cool:

This is the stuff of my hipster dreams. Libero, 2 Segundo Volantes AND 2 Mezzalas. WOWZA.

5 minutes ago, Joey Numbaz said:

This is the stuff of my hipster dreams. Libero, 2 Segundo Volantes AND 2 Mezzalas. WOWZA.

Spent all day at work deciding which team to be... Annoying when nearly all teams have new wingers and strikers that wont fit the tactic and cant be sold till jan or next season... Everton have tosun, walcott and probably a few others plus bolassie injured... Soton have carrilo and boufal and watfords captain is deeney... Floggin him would cause all kinds of upset

9 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Spent all day at work deciding which team to be... Annoying when nearly all teams have new wingers and strikers that wont fit the tactic and cant be sold till jan or next season... Everton have tosun, walcott and probably a few others plus bolassie injured... Soton have carrilo and boufal and watfords captain is deeney... Floggin him would cause all kinds of upset

Spurs is where you want to be. Retrain Kane to SV.

Not really. I switch from Standard to Control and it seems to have sorted out any problems against the more defensive teams.

The problem is when I forget to switch it back for the big teams because then they just counter me back :D

Newcastle aren't a bad lower rep team tbh. You can sell the less needed players really easily in order to bring in the players you need, and Ritchie is just an absurdly good player who you can retrain to play anywhere (he's left back for me).

Re newc... Cant stomach the grim kit tho! 

I need to recheck squads... Maybe bournemouth as they only have a few strikers... Kings pace probably be handy as a mez or wb. 

Otherwise spurs a good shout with plenty of players that are immediately perfect for the role. 

Pretty amazing formation, nice work!

Have you tried making the FBs have a WB (A) role and the W(A)'s a IW (A) role? That way you can still have width and attacking presence, at present it feels like the FBs are a little wasted staying back.

15 minutes ago, Chevie said:

@Ackter and @westy8chimp - the tactic here was awful and got me the sack mid-holiday but the links here were on their way to looking incredible:

image.thumb.png.d40428e35b341d629d4521dc43fcb651.png

Imagine all those were bright green :eek: Just unfortunate that the tactic, as I had it, was absolutely useless.

Nice, saves me the hassle of finding out 

How do you deal with balls over the top? I'm trying it out with Sutton and against Lincoln and Danny Cowleys 442 Direct, we drew 2-2, both goals soaring long balls that they played into the box. Would this tactic still work with a deeper line or would that negate the counter-attacks because they wouldn't get the ball as high up the pitch?

EDIT: Spoke incorrectly, we won 3-2. Still, both goals from long balls. Which is concerning considering I'm playing in Long Ball City here in the National League.

• 1 month later...

@Ackter Would you consider making this tactic available for download? Would this would be useful in a league where lots of teams play very offensive, like in The Netherlands? So if you ain't managing a top 5 team (Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, AZ, or Vitesse), then you could win the league by exploiting all the space when opponents attack.

On 17/09/2018 at 15:03, Jorgen said:

@Ackter Would you consider making this tactic available for download? Would this would be useful in a league where lots of teams play very offensive, like in The Netherlands? So if you ain't managing a top 5 team (Ajax, Feyenoord, PSV, AZ, or Vitesse), then you could win the league by exploiting all the space when opponents attack.

You can set it up from the opening post, it has 3 team instructions and only two of the positions have PIs.  

Archived