Sports Interactive Community
jmc1980

Installing FM2018 to new drive

Is it possible to install Steam to a new drive other than my C drive which is where windows is? 

If so, what folder should I be installing to ?

I've already tried to on my D drive where I thought I could just set my destination folder as programfilesx86 but it says the folder must be empty?

It is not really recommended to load FM and steam onto other drives as this can sometimes cause some problems with default saving and loading options.  Why do you want to change the location?

Thanks FrazT, 

Yeah steam was loaded onto ssd. Too small to have more than a couple of games installed. Wanted it on D which has tonnes more room..

I would certainly suggest moving something else from the ssd to the D drive, as it is not worth the risk to move steam and FM, although it is not impossible to do if it was absolutely necessary.

If you use Steams built-in tools then you shouldn't have a problem moving your Steam Libraries.

From Steam goto Settings -> Downloads and at the top select Steam Library Folders and on that pop-up you should be able to set up a new Steam Library in a different location. Then when installing a game you should be given a prompt on which location to install to.

The safest way to move your FM install is to just uninstall the game and then when reinstalling pick the new library location you picked.