Sports Interactive Community
Ajwellis

FM18 Constant Crashing of Game

Hello, 

I am only just starting to play FM18 after upgrading to a new laptop.  I am in pre-season of my 2nd season of playing as Celtic and my file now constantly crashes at the some point every time.  I also started a second game playing as Sunderland and that is also crashing at the same point in my first season.  

I have followed all of the troubleshooting, including deleting and reinstalling the game plus drivers, but both saves still crash.  I have no idea how to send a crash dump. so grateful for help in sorting this issue.

Thanks

14 hours ago, Ajwellis said:

I have no idea how to send a crash dump.

You can find the crash dumps in the following folder: C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2018\crash dumps, and you can attach it to a message here by selecting the choose files button below.

If your save is happening at the same point every time, could you upload your save game to the FTP for us to take a look at? And let us know what the save game is called and what date it crashes on, Thanks. https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/138_pc/how-to-upload-a-file-to-our-ftp-to-be-checked-r401/

If you don't have that folder that could mean that when the game is closing it is not crashing with a dump file. That folder is only created after the game crashes for the first time with a dump file. Could you still upload your save to the FTP, following the instructions above and well have a look into your issue, thanks.

Unfortunately they are windows dump files and there isn't much we can do with those. We do have your save though and are looking into it now, was there a particular date or screen where the crash always reproduced?

Neither of your save games crashed for us here, would you be able to attach your dxdiag for us to take a look at?

Tried the save again and it worked, but then won't let me save a new file. i can get the game going, but then it crashes when i save/save as.

What graphics level do you currently have set in your game? If it is Very High or High could you lower it and see if you are then able to save. There has been some issues with people on higher end graphics cards when trying to save, the game crashes while it is trying to render the save game bar, lowering your graphics level in Preferences should hopefully rectify this. Let us know how you get on.

I have it set to very high, I think. I’ll try that as a workaround and see how it goes.  Bit disappointing if that’s the reason as my graphics card can more than handle it.

Hi Luke, it did, but it's now started crashing again and very randomly. I have rolled my nvdia driver back to the March version as suggested in the forum, but that hasn't fixed things. Its' seriously annoying and like a few folk on here, is making me  think twice about purchasing the 2019 version of FM. 

Do you have any kind of anti-virus program installed? If so, what type?

Let us know, thanks. 

Okay McAfee has been known to cause issues with the game after a fresh install or an update. It can sometimes even interfere when disabled or with exceptions correctly set up. Because of that, to find out whether this interference is the cause of the issues you're encountering we would suggest following the instructions as found within our FAQ in regards to uninstalling as shown here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/138_pc/how-to-make-sure-that-an-anti-virus-program-isnt-interfering-with-steam-or-fm -r408/

Let us know how you get on. Thanks.