What do you do when your save gets boring because you win everything?

When this would happen before I would just start a new save. But I like having the same coach and seeing his history grow. So what I've been doing is just quitting a position and taking a lower one and trying to build that team into a top contender. What do you guys do when your save starts to get boring because you are winning everything?

I just find the game a bit boring in general to be honest. the same media over and over, the same types of goals being scored and conceded over and over, the same player interactions over and over, its all a bit predictable and dull.

I only manage about 4 seasons tops now before im bored, winning or not, but managers have a short shelf life in real life too

I do Challenge play.  For instance, I'm currently on the Ultimate Football Manager Challenge from the Challenges forum here.  You have to win essentially everything of note worldwide, so no resting on your laurels after a big win.

Or something like San Marino where the end is so far away that when you win everything, there's literally no further challenge for you to complete.

I do a career save every time and never got bored, don;t move clubs unless sacked or a good/better/'different' job comes along - by which  I mean a different league, higher rated league or team, or more money in my salary.

I tend to try a specific tactical approach for each save. Some - for example when I tried to make Real Sociedad in to the Basque Barcelona or Basquelona or when I used Rashidi's Salah tactic with Lyon - need very specific ppms that make it harder to go in a completely different direction without changing personnel significantly, so I'd leave them when I get bored of winning. Others times I change tactic every season or two. I still only average 4 seasons for any one where I stick it out past the first 18 months though.

I've already commented on here but I'll just add that I usually don't quit because I've won everything (I think I've won the Champions League four times in total on FM - once on FM15, once on FM16 and back-to-back wins one save on FM17 - and actually prefer Europa League just because it allows me to play more youngsters), but rather I tend to be too dominant in the transfer market and can't be bothered to hand off responsibility for developing players to my staff, but also can't be bothered to loan out a ton of players every season.

My current save I have 44 loaned out, and it would have been 50 if I could get offers. I have 139 players on the books, and in the aforementioned back-to-back CL wins save it was when I had 180 on the payroll that it got too much.

I've started randomly selecting a new formation each season (so tactical familiarity isn't a massive advantage from season two onwards), selling 1 or 2 of my best players each season (again randomly selected, to replicate that Liverpool are still a feeder club) and not giving my players as many rest days (as I found I started most matches in  considerably better fitness than most opponents).

Still in season 1, with a 4-4-2, so not much to tell yet.

Il 24/7/2018 in 01:43 , FMunderachiever ha scritto:

I just find the game a bit boring in general to be honest. the same media over and over, the same types of goals being scored and conceded over and over, the same player interactions over and over, its all a bit predictable and dull.

FM does tend to follow a rather predictable pattern in terms of gameplay and experience, but it's the nature of the game itself...

No matter which kind of career or challenge you choose, you'll always have to deal with the same basics, which, however, is not necessarily a bad thing... After all, you'd complain if all you do in an FPS is shooting enemies...

Il 24/7/2018 in 01:43 , FMunderachiever ha scritto:

I only manage about 4 seasons tops now before im bored, winning or not, but managers have a short shelf life in real life too

I've been there for years (CM 00-01 to FM07) and you'd probably consider the idea of taking a long break from the game, skipping a couple of iterations.

When you'll get the itch to come back, there will be enough new features and, hopefully, improvements to keep you interested for much longer than 4 seasons.

Back to the OP's question, when I get bored, I simply stop playing FM because it's not about a specific career getting boring, but the game itself. Once I've won everything with Club X, why should I bother to start all over again with Club Y?

51 minutes ago, Kenco said:

When I get bored of the game I stop playing and do something else in life that I find interesting. Don't waste your time on this if you don't enjoy it. There is more to life.

'Some people believe football is a matter of life and death, I am very disappointed with that attitude. I can assure you it is much, much more important than that.' -Bill Shankly

My cycle is to start a new FM with Bromley, and play until I have won everything/there is no challenge any more. This usually takes 15-20 seasons in game, and hundreds of hours of game time. Hopefully once it's happened, it's roughly the time for a new iteration of FM, if not then I tend to create a World Super League type file on my own (I usually get more out of creating the file than playing it though). 

The trouble for me is that I like the long-term development of a team from lower levels far more than the domination at the top, and that plays out the same way whether it is in a new country, newly promoted team to the bottom level or custom file. I really struggle to get into a new save other than my usual main one. 

That happened to me once when my Schalke won everything. I decided to sell about half of my star players and went with my local regens. Some of them were only mediecre compared to the ones I sold, but the save became so much funner and it also felt more satisfying and immersive. 

I think the trick is not to be so good 😊...    if you play the game fair and square and don’t use any form of editors or fm scour,  you could send your save file to a friend who could play around with things in the game to give it some welcome unknown changes be it new players, club funds,  reputation changes to leagues etc..

Archived