Team Shape

How does team shape influence the way your team plays? From my understanding, the more structured the shape, the more limited your players are e.g. defenders only defend, strikers only attack. Where as the more fluid they are, the the more complete they will try to be e.g. defenders will contribute to attack. Is this correct?

On 23/07/2018 at 10:53, facman said:

There is a thread called 'What is Team Shape?' halfway down the 1st page of this forum which answers exactly what you have asked!

The first image on this post (mentality bars for the AM on different shapes) was a wake up call for me.

I've always taken the concept in such an abstract way, and this was the most graphical explanation that I've seen.

I still think that the concept or mechanic of team shape (or compactness and/or individuality) could be addressed better on future versions.

If we think about real life, a coach would not tell a team to be structured or fluid and they automatically understand less or more compact, or more or less movement freedom. You would tell to be more or less compact AND allow movement freedom individually or overall.

In FM you can't have, in example, a less compact team with lots of movements (structured + runner roles?), or a team that defends in a structured manner and attacks in a fluid manner (fluid + counter?). 

Archived