Midsomer Vol Mez 424 and 4231 and 442 with wingers Knap FM 18

RAW SIENNA is the best tested tactic with IFs but there is also PILGRIMAGE and GOODBYE.

I can't tell unless I test with IFs.

The best result with MU for a 4231 is 102 pts, not sue any are ALL CUPS tactics, but in general with strikers 3>2>1

12 minutes ago, knap said:

RAW SIENNA is the best tested tactic with IFs but there is also PILGRIMAGE and GOODBYE.

I can't tell unless I test with IFs.

The best result with MU for a 4231 is 102 pts, not sue any are ALL CUPS tactics, but in general with strikers 3>2>1

Yeah i might just switch to the ARGUS 343 tactic since its by far the best formation etc out there. Im just nostalgic about when 4231 were THE tactics in FM :D its strange not using atleast an AMC which is why im trying out your BM 4213 but its clear that the 343 is way better

15 hours ago, fmste said:

have you tried this?

Yes. In my current save,  I'm coaching Barcelona in at the start of 2026. Started using this tactic at the end of last season in the Copa del Ray final vs Real Madrid and have stuck with it since. I already had La Liga title clinched before switching to this tactic but I won Champions League with it. results have been excellent so far. I like it because players like Pulisic are more effective as AM than WM.  

7-22-18.thumb.png.80d86daf1a39a849cc97c69bf729eb97.pngResults_LastSeason.thumb.png.02c96532a0f7a6c02c1e90be6e37862b.png

Looks like you make a lot of tactics, I need your help with something if you please.

In FM15, I made a great 4-2-3-1 tactic.

Advanced forward (attack)

Inside forward (attack) - Attacking Playmaker (support) - Winger (support)

Complete wingback (attack) - Defensive Playmaker (defend) - Roaming Playmaker (support) - Complete wingback (attack)

Ballplaying defender (stopper) Central Defender (cover)

Sweeper Keeper (support)

In this version I can't get it working at all...

My vision Higher defensive line, closing down much more, short passing, high tempo, retain possession, less dribbling, a lot of movement without the ball...

Could you please help getting my tactic to work again?

3 Strikers are more dominant, and it is easy to use AMR/AML as the outside forwards. I have tweaked the above tactic to have the AF in centre.

8 hours ago, knap said:

3 Strikers are more dominant, and it is easy to use AMR/AML as the outside forwards. I have tweaked the above tactic to have the AF in centre.

I play with Anderlecht and Belgium.

Both teams have great wingers and advanced playmakers.

That's why I wanted to create a tactic which uses those.

Now I'm trying to tweak your above screenshot into a working tactic.

When changing roles you need to look at the Mentality change. A TEAM SHAPE picture in team shape thread shows how mentality fits together. Changing roles changes the structure. Also look at PIs and consider why your player cannot play a role. Playmakers attract ball and change a tactics dynamic, makes it more one dimensional and they can be marked out of game, probably an increase in CF. TMs also attract ball..

I would try to avoid looking t low teams, but the underdog test show that 343 will trump other formations.

TEAMSHAPE.thumb.jpg.c48138cff6eefae47e14a8867bfdb46e.jpg

Because roles change the structure and dynamics of a tactic then you are have to monitor the results but cannot expect the tactic to perform like the original.

I use the same players to play many different roles  so there is no need to change roles for a player. The last tactic had Matic as a roaming playmaker. As long as a player can play a position a role should not be a problem. 

There is no need to read the table, it just an indication of how the mentality of the players change. Very Fluid has a closer spread of mentalities than Highly structured. In practical terms ARGUS a structured tactic is more defensively focused than PILGRIMAGE a Fluid tactic.

If you look at the mentality bar,  the AF role is much higher than a F9.

2008520450_Screenshot(349).thumb.png.07c4dfa05409c234bf25e092f2d72333.png829875221_Screenshot(350).thumb.png.664a8e7123357395022ba395b5561a8f.png

just to let you all know , the tactic (424) will still work wonders even if you change the two striker roles , I have belotti and kane, and set them to their preferred roles (CF and AF) and if anything the tactics working even BETTER!!

Thanks again for a great tactic Knap :D 

@knapThis tactic looks fantastic but I am having a bit of trouble understanding the Winger roles and which foot to play with

So Bailey (Left footed) and Son (Right Footed) both have "cut inside from both wings", so is that Left on Left? Or can they go on either?

Wingers are more right on right but WMs are right on right unless PPM overrides, with both then either. However, you can manually swop during a game and see which combination works best.

Would you suggest a Counter mentality instead of "Offensive" for the 4231 if i'm using an underdog in Serie A ?

I'm scared to go to Juventus stadium or San siro with Sassuolo with "Offensive" mentality lol

Will it change the tactic drastically ?

You can try counter or control as the TC adapts. However most efficient is attack to get  results.

If you just want a draw then try contain but change according to score line to try and get a result.

Any tips on how to tighten my defense? Tactic is working great but I find that since it became fluid I started conceding more goals than before. Also an Idea how to unlock an opponent's defense? Is a mentality change going to be enough? Thanks in advance, tactic is great nonetheless!

Hey @knap can you give me advice, what kind of striker is best for that formation. Im playing with West Ham right now and im really enjoying that tactic, PILGRIMAGE version are so good so i decided to try something different. My team is promising and plays so good football, but player like Javier Hernandez - Chicharito is not scoring at all. Should i changed his role or i need to find better striker that fits better?

Im using 4231 version, so i changed ST role to AF and its better now. I agree, 343 is the best formation tactic for FM18, but i want something different. I prefer to struggle a bit, but to play with something that is not so most common. I really like the football is coming out of my team right now!

Archived