Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community

Recommended Posts

Great read.

Just one minor point:

1 hour ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

Personality - specifically Professionalism - and Determination (sourceimprove training performance which accelerates Current Ability development.

Professionalism, Determination and Ambition all play a roughly equal part in player development.  It's mentioned by Seb Wassell further into that source thread you linked :thup:.

Perhaps also worth mentioning that whilst game time at a suitable level is relevant for all players, below the age of 18 training takes precedence whereas from 18 and up matches take precedence.

Interested to read further updates :).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, herne79 said:

Great read.

Just one minor point:

Professionalism, Determination and Ambition all play a roughly equal part in player development.  It's mentioned by Seb Wassell further into that source thread you linked :thup:.

Perhaps also worth mentioning that whilst game time at a suitable level is relevant for all players, below the age of 18 training takes precedence whereas from 18 and up matches take precedence.

Interested to read further updates :).


Done & done. Thank you for the input :thup:

Funnily enough, check out the Hints & Tips:

a3XOO6v.png

Edited by Ö-zil to the Arsenal!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fantastic depth of analysis! Looking forward to more updates! :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great stuff, Ozil. :) Nicely written and laid out (as usual!). Looking forward to seeing how you phase in possession play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This is superb. I'm really intrigued as to what you think about possession based approaches in this game. That elusive approach that appeases those of us whom want to dominate on the ball and at the same time create scoring chances.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Amazing topic. Will follow along with a similar thing with Sporting Clube de Portugal! Gratz mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Great lineup of youth there--but I didn't see Ze Gomes anywhere.  I don't have FM18 but on 17 he was a pretty well-rounded young striker with bags of potential, and I'm sure he was on Benfica's books.  Have I just missed him somehow?

Edited by Tajerio

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

Great lineup of youth there--but I didn't see Ze Gomes anywhere.  I don't have FM18 but on 17 he was a pretty well-rounded young striker with bags of potential, and I'm sure he was on Benfica's books.  Have I just missed him somehow?


You're right, Ze Gomes does look good. He's injured at the start, returning around October so I'll get him match fit in the B Team until the Christmas break and then see where I can fit him in.

Might already need to start making a few sales to fit people in!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice thread. 

There is immense talent in Portugal. Benfica, Porto and Sporting have good young players. 

I wanted to do the same in my club, FC Porto. Have the "Class of Diogo's". Diogo Costa (GK); Diogo Dalot (RB), Diogo Queirós and Diogo Leite (CB's). Well, and Diogo Bessa (LB), but, but not so talented. Have other players very interessed: Romário Baró, Afonso Sousa (one of the most talented), Rui Pedro (loan at Boavista in 1º season), Rui Pires (new Rúben Neves). 

"Olival Futebol Academy" :D

Cheers! 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

with short-term assignments covering:

Hey O-zil, would you have to set these up over and over or can you put them as on going assignments?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, pepalves7 said:

Nice thread. 

There is immense talent in Portugal. Benfica, Porto and Sporting have good young players. 

I wanted to do the same in my club, FC Porto. Have the "Class of Diogo's". Diogo Costa (GK); Diogo Dalot (RB), Diogo Queirós and Diogo Leite (CB's). Well, and Diogo Bessa (LB), but, but not so talented. Have other players very interessed: Romário Baró, Afonso Sousa (one of the most talented), Rui Pedro (loan at Boavista in 1º season), Rui Pires (new Rúben Neves). 

"Olival Futebol Academy" :D

Cheers! 


Transfer targets Diogo Bras & Diogo Jota (superb player!) :lol:

Portuguese sides have so much talent it's fantastic.

 

7 hours ago, Abdiel_rivera10 said:

Hey O-zil, would you have to set these up over and over or can you put them as on going assignments?


During the season my Director of Football is responsible for Scouting Assignments so I can focus on the football.

I will manually set the Data Analyst match reports - very useful! - and tweak the General Focus of scouting to Young players.

This would be different if we needed more players but our squad is very complete. As mentioned - I have my eye out for a Striker and left-sided Central Defender but I am potentially able to solve these within the existing squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:


Transfer targets Diogo Bras & Diogo Jota (superb player!) :lol:

Portuguese sides have so much talent it's fantastic.

 

Yes, is very good player. He in 2016/17 played in Porto, loaned by Atletico. 

Edited by pepalves7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great thread again. Your stuff is amongst the best at explaining how the game works in simple, footballing terms. :applause:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great post once again. Just wondering if you change the Tactical Training Focus or do you keep it on tactical? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work. Haven't learned this much from an OP in a long time!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DanDobre said:

Sorry for posting this but can you tell me what skin do you use?

not the OP but it looks like just the 'Football Manager Dark' skin that's in the game by default, might be wrong though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

ok, thanks so I thought, but then I saw the club's estimated value and fm18 does not appear

Edited by DanDobre

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hello @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!.  I enjoy the way you set out all your topics.  You always get your points across in a very user friendly manner.

I think most people accept you can't throw players into their preferred roles + duties and somehow that'll make a coherent tactic.  I too buy into that.  However you mention adapting the tactic to the team in post#2, plus you should be a very dominant side domestically.  Added to which you have chosen standard-structured (which conceivably lends itself to my question?), so do you think you could get at least a couple more players maximising their talents in their best role/duty than you actually have?  Currently only Pizzi is catered for 100% in that capacity.

Could it be a simple 'no' because it won't work or a 'no' cause it's outside the DNA framework you want to impose?  Just curious.

Edited by Robson 07
grammar

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal!, I generally use very similar roles for training (CF/IF for attackers, RPM for midfield), but I tend to use Libero rather than BPD for CB's as it covers more physical attributes (pace and stamina in particular) as well as dribbling, which seems useful for building out of the back. What's your rationale for BPD > Libero, assuming player is already natural at CB?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Pass and Move If I'm not mistaken learning a new position takes up PA, so I imagine given he has no intention to use a Libero / Sweeper he just wants to maximise his players' development for their main positions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

@Pass and Move If I'm not mistaken learning a new position takes up PA, so I imagine given he has no intention to use a Libero / Sweeper he just wants to maximise his players' development for their main positions. 

If so, why train wingers with Complete Forward if they will never be played at CF? My impression was that learning a new position made the player's CA weight attributes differently, i.e. weigh certain attributes more highly than they would be otherwise -- meaning that a retrain to a more 'foreign' position would have a strong impact on CA but a like-to-like retrain (left wing to right wing) or a similar position retrain (CM to DM, CB to SW, RB to RWB, etc) would have a minimal impact. 

Cracked open the editor to look at this and changing a CB's sweeper rating from 1 to 15 brought his 'recommended current ability' (I have no idea what this means) up by 2 but did not change his CA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

not sure if he is still the same on the new database as i started only this benfica save when buying the game and i'm still slow managing many months later, but have a look at a kid called diego batista in the u19s because he can turn into this (and has turned into this on fm17 as well so i think his potential might be fixed at something quite decent?).

i am only a goalkeeper away (currently still mile svilar) of not only fielding a complete academy first eleven throughout all of the season but also being really competitive with it. two champions league semi finals with a complete academy squad or ten academy players of the first eleven is pretty decent. wish a goalkeeper would come through. one has, but he's maxed out potentially i think at only 19 years old. 

i signed back renato sanches and goncalo guedes from bayern and psg because i had so much money in the bank from selling non academy players that i could easily drop 70 million on each. they are benfica academy players after all.

i play a simple 442 because it allows me to develop forwards, wingers, midfielders, full backs and center backs in the u19 and B squads.

 

 

diego batista.JPG

Edited by wereldbol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

of course when you play as benfica you get insane regens all the time. these are my top 3 so far, a ready made future portugal midfield and a delightful poacher

alexandre.jpg

osvaldo.jpg

tiago.jpg

 

 

Edited by wereldbol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Introduction to Possession Football = Updated (Post 3)
 

On 22/07/2018 at 16:07, howard moon said:

Great thread again. Your stuff is amongst the best at explaining how the game works in simple, footballing terms. :applause:


Thank you very much. Appreciate that feedback as simplicity is exactly what I'm going for!


 

On 23/07/2018 at 06:50, ramie said:

Great post once again. Just wondering if you change the Tactical Training Focus or do you keep it on tactical? 


100% depends on the needs of the players. In this instance I would be expecting to focus on Tactical training for some time.


 

On 23/07/2018 at 13:44, wixxi said:

not the OP but it looks like just the 'Football Manager Dark' skin that's in the game by default, might be wrong though


Yep, that's it :thup:


 

19 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

Hello @Ö-zil to the Arsenal!.  I enjoy the way you set out all your topics.  You always get your points across in a very user friendly manner.

I think most people accept you can't throw players into their preferred roles + duties and somehow that'll make a coherent tactic.  I too buy into that.  However you mention adapting the tactic to the team in post#2, plus you should be a very dominant side domestically.  Added to which you have chosen standard-structured (which conceivably lends itself to my question?), so do you think you could get at least a couple more players maximising their talents in their best role/duty than you actually have?  Currently only Pizzi is catered for 100% in that capacity.

Could it be a simple 'no' because it won't work or a 'no' cause it's outside the DNA framework you want to impose?  Just curious.


Excellent question. The simple answer is that I do not believe the recommended duties - or many of the in-game recommendations for that matter - are valid.

  1. The player role recommendations depend on accepting the game's criteria of the attributes required for a position.

Some roles are simply too broad - Central Midfielder for example, is a blank canvas.

In my system, my Central Midfielder looks like this.

 

wcGuIBN.png

 

We could remove those instructions and tell him to Hold Position and it'd be a totally different skill set. How can one set of attributes account for this?

My players are rarely recommended core roles - Central Midfielder, Defensive Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder etc - instead it's always some kind of playmaker or another of the label type roles.

I suspect it's to help the AI manager assign player roles based on attributes.

The player role system could do with a tidy, in my opinion. I've lost track of the number of playmaker options and non-mutually exclusive roles.

Case in point - apparently Pirlo isn't a great fit for the Deep-lying Playmaker (or Regista) role! :lol:


 

16 hours ago, Pass and Move said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal!, I generally use very similar roles for training (CF/IF for attackers, RPM for midfield), but I tend to use Libero rather than BPD for CB's as it covers more physical attributes (pace and stamina in particular) as well as dribbling, which seems useful for building out of the back. What's your rationale for BPD > Libero, assuming player is already natural at CB?


Simply hadn't thought of it ;)


 

9 hours ago, wereldbol said:

not sure if he is still the same on the new database as i started only this benfica save when buying the game and i'm still slow managing many months later, but have a look at a kid called diego batista in the u19s because he can turn into this (and has turned into this on fm17 as well so i think his potential might be fixed at something quite decent?).

i am only a goalkeeper away (currently still mile svilar) of not only fielding a complete academy first eleven throughout all of the season but also being really competitive with it. two champions league semi finals with a complete academy squad or ten academy players of the first eleven is pretty decent. wish a goalkeeper would come through. one has, but he's maxed out potentially i think at only 19 years old. 

i signed back renato sanches and goncalo guedes from bayern and psg because i had so much money in the bank from selling non academy players that i could easily drop 70 million on each. they are benfica academy players after all.

i play a simple 442 because it allows me to develop forwards, wingers, midfielders, full backs and center backs in the u19 and B squads.

 

 

diego batista.JPG


Fantastic! What's your starting team now then? Interesting to see others playing similar games.

..and, yes. I've got Batista playing in my U19s. Looks like a talented player!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I notice you've got both Retain Possession and Pass into Space on.  My understanding was that Retain Possession tells players, in part, not to play through balls, while Pass into Space tells players to play those through balls.  But you obviously know what you're doing--so what effect are you achieving by using the two instructions together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tajerio said:

I notice you've got both Retain Possession and Pass into Space on.  My understanding was that Retain Possession tells players, in part, not to play through balls, while Pass into Space tells players to play those through balls.  But you obviously know what you're doing--so what effect are you achieving by using the two instructions together?


Knowing what I'm doing is a strong term! :lol:

The honest answer is I am not 100% sure. I am working with the same interface as anyone else, and it's not clear.

The interface shows Retain Possession as a means of shortening passing without reducing tempo.

I have never observed either - Retain Possession or Pass into Space - change an individual player's Passing Risk.

This combination came about after adding Retain Possession to a more attacking system - after observing too many long shots - and later adding Pass into Space in an attempt to get players in behind.

I've always liked what I've seen in the match engine and the majority of goals come from a through ball either direct assist or key pass. In fact, high tempo, short passing, retain possession and passing into space produced the best football I have seen in a long time in a Napoli save.

Sorry I cannot give a more informed answer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Pass and Move said:

If so, why train wingers with Complete Forward if they will never be played at CF? My impression was that learning a new position made the player's CA weight attributes differently, i.e. weigh certain attributes more highly than they would be otherwise -- meaning that a retrain to a more 'foreign' position would have a strong impact on CA but a like-to-like retrain (left wing to right wing) or a similar position retrain (CM to DM, CB to SW, RB to RWB, etc) would have a minimal impact. 

Cracked open the editor to look at this and changing a CB's sweeper rating from 1 to 15 brought his 'recommended current ability' (I have no idea what this means) up by 2 but did not change his CA. 


Excuse me, missed this one.

They may never play as a Complete Forward, but they may play as a Striker - particularly as I don't have many - and this is the widest spread of attribute development whilst training to play in the Striker position.

At this moment, I am just keeping potential doors open.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:


Excuse me, missed this one.

They may never play as a Complete Forward, but they may play as a Striker - particularly as I don't have many - and this is the widest spread of attribute development whilst training to play in the Striker position.

At this moment, I am just keeping potential doors open.

Sorry, meant CF as in Center Forward not the role, should've clarified. I assumed from your writing (both here and the Barca recreation) that you train attackers with the CF role regardless of whether they may play there or not, e.g. training wide forwards as CF rather than IF for the spread of attribute development. If you're lacking strikers then that's obviously another consideration  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Pass and Move said:

Sorry, meant CF as in Center Forward not the role, should've clarified. I assumed from your writing (both here and the Barca recreation) that you train attackers with the CF role regardless of whether they may play there or not, e.g. training wide forwards as CF rather than IF for the spread of attribute development. If you're lacking strikers then that's obviously another consideration  

Precisely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 21/07/2018 at 12:56, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

 

Edited by Park
Could a mod delete this post please?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! I just caught up on the possession post. Fantastic once again. I've noticed you never use the 'Play Wider' instruction in your tactics. In reference to your 2-3-4-1 shape (which looks very Pepish!), would this instruction not spread the wingers even wider, potentially giving your central players more space and your wingers more one-on-one opportunities? I'm thinking along the lines of Cruyff's/Pep's 'keep the pitch as big as possible, and play through the middle' principle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:

My players are rarely recommended core roles - Central Midfielder, Defensive Midfielder, Attacking Midfielder etc - instead it's always some kind of playmaker or another of the label type roles.

I suspect it's to help the AI manager assign player roles based on attributes.

The player role system could do with a tidy, in my opinion. I've lost track of the number of playmaker options and non-mutually exclusive roles.

Case in point - apparently Pirlo isn't a great fit for the Deep-lying Playmaker (or Regista) role! :lol:

That's a good answer.

The reason I asked it was because I'd just read a post last night about a retro Man Utd tactic from Class of 95 era.  Everyone replying saying, no Giggs is a winger, Scholes is a playmaker and so on.  Everyone had a clear idea on what type of players they were.  And I thought, yep, if you were the best side domestically you try and play to your player's strengths, proactive not reactive.  Maybe this applies to this Benfica team of yours, lets ask the question.

Its a good point you raise that there is element of polish applied to the user interface about it,  Your examples about an adapted central mid and then specifically Pirlo shine a light on what might be a little bit of window dressing by SI.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Park said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! I just caught up on the possession post. Fantastic once again. I've noticed you never use the 'Play Wider' instruction in your tactics. In reference to your 2-3-4-1 shape (which looks very Pepish!), would this instruction not spread the wingers even wider, potentially giving your central players more space and your wingers more one-on-one opportunities? I'm thinking along the lines of Cruyff's/Pep's 'keep the pitch as big as possible, and play through the middle' principle.

 

I'm trying to think about the same thing myself in terms of creating a good possession tactic that is effective.

I used the wide men as wingers (s) with hold position and stay wide. This theoretically mimics Pep's approach in that he prefers the wide men to keep the width to (a) pull the defenders and midfielders wider to create more central space for the central creative players, and, (b) allow inverted full-backs to play inside the wingers occupying more central space, making under-lap runs instead of overlap, as well as being more central to link up with CM's.

I think you've got the right idea, which is why I believe that possession tactics frustrate a lot of people on FM, because they inevitably face a lot of the same issues that real life possession teams face. Opposition teams sitting back deep and very few clear opportunities are created (in FM, very few highlights).

So, my working idea is to play wider, wingers keep their position wide, inverted fb's inside them to link with cm's and make channel runs between defenders (who are stretched out by wingers prior), have one CM with some dribbling ability to roam and dribble (ala Iniesta) to draw players and create more space, and have a false nine who drops deep to pull defenders with him to draw away that deep opposition defensive block. That's the idea, in theory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:


Fantastic! What's your starting team now then? Interesting to see others playing similar games.

..and, yes. I've got Batista playing in my U19s. Looks like a talented player!

I don't want to steal the thread away from you, I'm looking forward to reading the possession posts later today when I get home from work. I play 442 and have reached two Champions League semi finals but have struggled when coming up against three in the middle sides. Those two semi final defeats and an 'early' exit in the quarter finals have all come against Arsenal who are simply too good in midfield for me to handle, even if I play Fernandes as an inverted wing back or play Carvalho or Felix as wide playmakers tucking inside. 

My starting line up is this, as I said, only one non-academy player in my squad:

Svilar;
Pinto, Dias, Alvaro, Ribeiro*;
Guedes, Batista, Sanches, Filipe;
Sousa*, Batista*

Bench: Fernandes, Cardoso*, Carvalho, Sousa*, Félix, Gomes, Gaipo*

The players with an asterisk are regens who came through our academy. I only bought Sanches, Guedes and Dias. I sold Dias to Manchester City but bought him back three seasons later for the exact same transfer price. 

I play the following tactic:

Goalkeeper
Full-back (s) Central Defender (d) Central Defender (d) Full-back (s)
Wide Midfielder (a) Deep Lying Playmaker (d) Roaming Playmaker (s) Winger (s)
Deep Lying Forward (s) Poacher (a)

If you want to see how some of those players have turned out in 2024 in my game, feel free to ask. I can tell you that Alex Pinto has developed into one of the worlds best full-backs and is equally comfortable at central defense. Here is his profile:

alex_pinto.jpg

Have been thinking about going three at the back with Dias, Alvaro and Pinto. That way I can give Fernandes starting minutes at right wing back. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Park said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! I just caught up on the possession post. Fantastic once again. I've noticed you never use the 'Play Wider' instruction in your tactics. In reference to your 2-3-4-1 shape (which looks very Pepish!), would this instruction not spread the wingers even wider, potentially giving your central players more space and your wingers more one-on-one opportunities? I'm thinking along the lines of Cruyff's/Pep's 'keep the pitch as big as possible, and play through the middle' principle.


It's not that I consciously don't use it. Watching matches the control mentality and designated wingers have always given us plenty of width so I have simply never seen the need.


 

12 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

That's a good answer.

The reason I asked it was because I'd just read a post last night about a retro Man Utd tactic from Class of 95 era.  Everyone replying saying, no Giggs is a winger, Scholes is a playmaker and so on.  Everyone had a clear idea on what type of players they were.  And I thought, yep, if you were the best side domestically you try and play to your player's strengths, proactive not reactive.  Maybe this applies to this Benfica team of yours, lets ask the question.

Its a good point you raise that there is element of polish applied to the user interface about it,  Your examples about an adapted central mid and then specifically Pirlo shine a light on what might be a little bit of window dressing by SI.


Thank you. Yes, I suspect that much of it is window dressing. They could be useful for helping AI pick roles or simply for people who enjoy seeing weird and wonderful roles in their tactics. To me, there are a few with practical application - playmakers, half back, inverted wingback, mezzala etc - but many which are simply PI templates. This is certainly no official advice, just based on my experience and observation.

Manchester United '99 era is a great example. Giggs is pretty much a winger whichever way you look at it. Scholes and Keane could be interpreted as Central Midfielders with PIs tailored to suit or some combination of playmaker, ball winner and/or box to box midfielder depending what game you're watching. The box to box midfielder is simply a CM(S) + roaming. Apparently there is some further difference but I could not tell you what. My personal opinion would be a box-to-box midfielder IS a Central Midfielder - doesn't apply in reverse - and I dislike the addition of roaming. Don't like the idea of midfielders popping up anywhere whilst we struggle to control the midfield. Sometimes the issue is different interpretations of the attributes required for the role, others it's different interpretations of the role itself. Take a look at a Complete Wingback in comparison to a Wingback for example.


 

10 hours ago, Criminal Backpass said:

 

I'm trying to think about the same thing myself in terms of creating a good possession tactic that is effective.

I used the wide men as wingers (s) with hold position and stay wide. This theoretically mimics Pep's approach in that he prefers the wide men to keep the width to (a) pull the defenders and midfielders wider to create more central space for the central creative players, and, (b) allow inverted full-backs to play inside the wingers occupying more central space, making under-lap runs instead of overlap, as well as being more central to link up with CM's.

I think you've got the right idea, which is why I believe that possession tactics frustrate a lot of people on FM, because they inevitably face a lot of the same issues that real life possession teams face. Opposition teams sitting back deep and very few clear opportunities are created (in FM, very few highlights).

So, my working idea is to play wider, wingers keep their position wide, inverted fb's inside them to link with cm's and make channel runs between defenders (who are stretched out by wingers prior), have one CM with some dribbling ability to roam and dribble (ala Iniesta) to draw players and create more space, and have a false nine who drops deep to pull defenders with him to draw away that deep opposition defensive block. That's the idea, in theory.


That's interesting. It's a similar idea, for sure. Feel free to post your team / set up as it may be an interesting comparison.

To explain a few choices - my wingers do not hold position as a) I need them forward to occupy fullbacks, b) they get into the box in the final 3rd and contribute quite a few goals.

 

 

I think this is the video Henry explains Pep asked him to stay wide during buildup but was free to attack in the final 3rd.

Finally I chose a Deep-Lying Forward over a False 9 simply for the addition of Hold Up the Ball to link with the midfield 4 swarming behind him.

 

2 hours ago, wereldbol said:

I don't want to steal the thread away from you, I'm looking forward to reading the possession posts later today when I get home from work. I play 442 and have reached two Champions League semi finals but have struggled when coming up against three in the middle sides. Those two semi final defeats and an 'early' exit in the quarter finals have all come against Arsenal who are simply too good in midfield for me to handle, even if I play Fernandes as an inverted wing back or play Carvalho or Felix as wide playmakers tucking inside. 

My starting line up is this, as I said, only one non-academy player in my squad:

Svilar;
Pinto, Dias, Alvaro, Ribeiro*;
Guedes, Batista, Sanches, Filipe;
Sousa*, Batista*

Bench: Fernandes, Cardoso*, Carvalho, Sousa*, Félix, Gomes, Gaipo*

The players with an asterisk are regens who came through our academy. I only bought Sanches, Guedes and Dias. I sold Dias to Manchester City but bought him back three seasons later for the exact same transfer price. 

I play the following tactic:

Goalkeeper
Full-back (s) Central Defender (d) Central Defender (d) Full-back (s)
Wide Midfielder (a) Deep Lying Playmaker (d) Roaming Playmaker (s) Winger (s)
Deep Lying Forward (s) Poacher (a)

If you want to see how some of those players have turned out in 2024 in my game, feel free to ask. I can tell you that Alex Pinto has developed into one of the worlds best full-backs and is equally comfortable at central defense. Here is his profile:

alex_pinto.jpg

Have been thinking about going three at the back with Dias, Alvaro and Pinto. That way I can give Fernandes starting minutes at right wing back. 

 

 


Don't worry at all, these threads are way more interesting as discussions and input from others is always welcome.

Our sides are - interestingly - shaping quite differently.

In midfield I am most excited by Dantas, Felipe, Felix, Embalo and - brought in from Braga - Xadas.

By the second or third season the squad should be capable of playing just about any style and formation you want! :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I mean to type Joao Felipe, he's my winger. Dantas is probably one of the oldest players in my B team. He's not bad but I have many better options and players like Tiago and Cardoso have come through the academy to far surpass him. Also, he has a determination attribute of 4 and he refused to be tutored when he was still young. Joao Felix is probably on par with Felipe in my pecking order and has so far notched up 6 goals and 10 assists in the league and we're only in January. However, I like the pace Felipe has and he offers something different down the wing. Both are interchangeable depending on the way I want to approach the following game. Umaro Embalo is probably my biggest regret and/or disappointment. I had high hopes for him and at one time I think he had an acceleration rating of 20. But unfortunately I just couldn't get him to perform and then Chelsea came in with a £25m bid and I had to accept. He's now loaned out to Espanyol from the 31st of January of the current game year so hopefully he'll start to play some decent football. I bought Xadas as well but my preference for club grown talent meant that he found himself on the bench a lot of the time and eventually asked for a transfer. 

Don't forget to have a look at Joao Carvalho. He's a pretty great wide playmaker in my game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, wereldbol said:

Yes, I mean to type Joao Felipe, he's my winger. Dantas is probably one of the oldest players in my B team. He's not bad but I have many better options and players like Tiago and Cardoso have come through the academy to far surpass him. Also, he has a determination attribute of 4 and he refused to be tutored when he was still young. Joao Felix is probably on par with Felipe in my pecking order and has so far notched up 6 goals and 10 assists in the league and we're only in January. However, I like the pace Felipe has and he offers something different down the wing. Both are interchangeable depending on the way I want to approach the following game. Umaro Embalo is probably my biggest regret and/or disappointment. I had high hopes for him and at one time I think he had an acceleration rating of 20. But unfortunately I just couldn't get him to perform and then Chelsea came in with a £25m bid and I had to accept. He's now loaned out to Espanyol from the 31st of January of the current game year so hopefully he'll start to play some decent football. I bought Xadas as well but my preference for club grown talent meant that he found himself on the bench a lot of the time and eventually asked for a transfer. 

Don't forget to have a look at Joao Carvalho. He's a pretty great wide playmaker in my game. 


I'm a sucker for a two-footed wide player. I think it's so valuable to be able to beat a defender with either foot and then shoot on the inside foot or cross on the outside foot.

Interesting you mention Carvalho. Carvalho, Ze Gomes and Nuno Santos are doing very well for the B Team and Horta and Rodrigues are both performing well on loan.

Next season is going to be a headache.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:


I'm a sucker for a two-footed wide player. I think it's so valuable to be able to beat a defender with either foot and then shoot on the inside foot or cross on the outside foot.

Interesting you mention Carvalho. Carvalho, Ze Gomes and Nuno Santos are doing very well for the B Team and Horta and Rodrigues are both performing well on loan.

Next season is going to be a headache.

Exactly why I decided to sell Embalo. He's very left footed, has a poor off the ball attribute of 11 and has the player preferred moves of 'runs with ball often' and 'runs with ball down the left'. He's extremely one-dimensional and whenever I gave him the nod over Felipe he preformed less. It hurt my left side. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, wereldbol said:

Exactly why I decided to sell Embalo. He's very left footed, has a poor off the ball attribute of 11 and has the player preferred moves of 'runs with ball often' and 'runs with ball down the left'. He's extremely one-dimensional and whenever I gave him the nod over Felipe he preformed less. It hurt my left side. 

 


Bare in mind he is 16 at the start of the game! :lol:

Plenty of time to turn him into a more well-rounded player, but yes, left foot only does need work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! What if my potential tutor has a good personality but less determination than tutee, you still use him ?

 

Ex. I want to ask Toprak who is Fairly Professional with Det 11 to tutor Zakadou who is Fairly Ambitious with 12 Det. Is it a good idea?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Anuth said:

@Ö-zil to the Arsenal! What if my potential tutor has a good personality but less determination than tutee, you still use him ?

 

Ex. I want to ask Toprak who is Fairly Professional with Det 11 to tutor Zakadou who is Fairly Ambitious with 12 Det. Is it a good idea?


Meh. You're not getting much out of that tutoring, unless you're getting some advantageous traits.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Ö-zil to the Arsenal! said:


Knowing what I'm doing is a strong term! :lol:

The honest answer is I am not 100% sure. I am working with the same interface as anyone else, and it's not clear.

The interface shows Retain Possession as a means of shortening passing without reducing tempo.

I have never observed either - Retain Possession or Pass into Space - change an individual player's Passing Risk.

This combination came about after adding Retain Possession to a more attacking system - after observing too many long shots - and later adding Pass into Space in an attempt to get players in behind.

I've always liked what I've seen in the match engine and the majority of goals come from a through ball either direct assist or key pass. In fact, high tempo, short passing, retain possession and passing into space produced the best football I have seen in a long time in a Napoli save.

Sorry I cannot give a more informed answer!

I enjoyed reading this response. Some of the tactical decisions I've made in my Leverkusen series simply look awful on paper... but the game, like real life, isn't played on paper. We can only guess or assume how all the calculations are made in the ME and sometimes you just try something and it works how you intended, without necessarily making theoretical sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 02:23, Pass and Move said:

Cracked open the editor to look at this and changing a CB's sweeper rating from 1 to 15 brought his 'recommended current ability' (I have no idea what this means) up by 2 but did not change his CA. 

It means the impact on CA of training a player into a new position isn't always as big as people think.  In this instance the impact on your player's CA of improving his Sweeper rating from 1 to 15 would be just 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×