Sports Interactive Community

Hi all, yesterday morning my laptop started going weird and I couldn't open any of the settings or apps (running windows 10) so after hours on different forums trying different stuff I was advised to, and ended up, reinstalling Windows 10 via an ISO from here, post #3 

This is my machine and it was running FM18 perfectly before and now it's very very slow and my CPU is at nearly 100% when the game is running.

All help would be gratefully received, the tenforum has gone quiet since I mentioned my problems after following their advice :rolleyes:

THIS PART HAS BEEN RESOLVED

Edited by LATB

If you reinstalled windows, did you update all the hardware drivers, especially the graphics card?

H I have run a few things and got the below messages, playing videos etc is fine, the only lag I am getting is with FM

Nvid.PNG

Nvid2.PNG

What graphics settings are you using?  Is your antivirus screening the game in real time?

3 minutes ago, FrazT said:

What graphics settings are you using? Is your antivirus screening the game in real time?

How would I check the anti virus thing please @FrazT?

fm1.PNG

fm2.PNG

fm3.PNG

Go into your AV and add FM and steam to the exceptions option in the app-  I cant tell you exactly how to do this as they are all different but if you search for exceptions in the instructions you should be able to do this quite simply.

Does lowering the graphics quality a bit make any difference?

What exact files do I need to put in the exceptions, it isn't letting me just choose the steam folder

fm4.PNG

fm5.PNG

Edited by LATB

8 minutes ago, FrazT said:

Does lowering the graphics quality a bit make any difference?

No none 

It could be a heat issue. So the max speed on the processor is slowed down quite a bit. You could try to use HW monitor or something else to see if the CPU temp is high. If so, then maybe the fan is broken or something like that.

20 minutes ago, XaW said:

It could be a heat issue. So the max speed on the processor is slowed down quite a bit. You could try to use HW monitor or something else to see if the CPU temp is high. If so, then maybe the fan is broken or something like that.

Hi thanks I have done so 

hw1.PNG

hw2.PNG

hw3.PNG

Okay BitDefender has been known to cause issues with FM and Steam in the past, so could well be the problem here. Even in examples where it's ran fine without issue, we have seen examples where an update or a change can cause it to interfere and cause performance or stability problems. We've even seen it occur with the AV disabled or with exceptions set up. 

What we'd suggest as a test is first of all turning on Windows Defender. Once this is up and running, uninstall BitDefender. Make sure if it's a paid for version to backup the activation code beforehand. 

Once you've done this, completely uninstall and reinstall FM again, then try the game and see if you're still getting the same issue. Don't re-add BitDefender for now until you can accurately gauge whether the same issue is occurring. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks. 

On ‎26‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:24, Neil Brock said:

Okay BitDefender has been known to cause issues with FM and Steam in the past, so could well be the problem here. Even in examples where it's ran fine without issue, we have seen examples where an update or a change can cause it to interfere and cause performance or stability problems. We've even seen it occur with the AV disabled or with exceptions set up. 

What we'd suggest as a test is first of all turning on Windows Defender. Once this is up and running, uninstall BitDefender. Make sure if it's a paid for version to backup the activation code beforehand. 

Once you've done this, completely uninstall and reinstall FM again, then try the game and see if you're still getting the same issue. Don't re-add BitDefender for now until you can accurately gauge whether the same issue is occurring. Let us know how you get on.

Thanks. 

Thanks Neil, am having trouble connecting to Steam to unnistall the game since I removed bitdefender?

Unless there are currently Steam issues

What error message exactly are you getting when trying to connect now? Have you restarted your system since removing BD? 

On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 17:13, Neil Brock said:

What error message exactly are you getting when trying to connect now? Have you restarted your system since removing BD? 

Hi Neil, please see below for error message. I have restarted it and also added Steam.exe and the steam folder to Windows Defender Exclusions but so far nothing helps.

Fm6.PNG

On ‎30‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 14:26, Neil Brock said:

Can you please send us your Belarc? Details on how to do so here - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/138_pc/how-to-find-my-belarc-file-r402/

Thanks. 

Hi Neil, the Steam issue seemed to be because I was on a public network, it works fine when I am at home.

I have uninstalled bitdefender FM and reinstalled it after activating windows defender. Fingers crossed but this seems to have done the trick.

I will play the game for a reasonable period today so will keep an eye on things but thanks for your help.

Thanks for the info, do keep us updated - will set the issue to resolved for now but if you feedback we can always update it. 

The game has randomly crashed on me twice in last few days and on two different saves. 

I don't get any crash dump or anything, the screen just flickers black and the game exits itself and I am back on my desktop. 

I don't use any custom graphic packs.

Edited by LATB

28 minutes ago, Neil Brock said:

Have you reinstalled BitDefender or are you still running on Windows Defender? 

Windows Defender

2 hours ago, LATB said:

The game has randomly crashed on me twice in last few days and on two different saves. 

I don't get any crash dump or anything, the screen just flickers black and the game exits itself and I am back on my desktop. 

I don't use any custom graphic packs.

What were you doing at the point of crash? Was it say during a match, or when processing forward, or on a certain screen? 

Please provide as much information as you can for those two crashes. Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Neil Brock said:

What were you doing at the point of crash? Was it say during a match, or when processing forward, or on a certain screen? 

Please provide as much information as you can for those two crashes. Thanks. 

Processing forward on both, not during matches

Do you have a save game from just before it crashes you could upload to the FTP for us to take a look at?

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:22, Luke Rumble said:

Do you have a save game from just before it crashes you could upload to the FTP for us to take a look at?

Will do if required just thought I’d let you know I’ve had the blue screen of death twice when playing FM last few days 

Could this be the saved games? 

bluesc.JPG

Edited by LATB

On ‎03‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 18:22, Luke Rumble said:

I have uploaded my save game titled FFC and will do the other one I also had issues with named River

Edited by LATB

Which River save is the one that the crash reproduces on, River or River(New)? Also is there a specific date where the crash always reproduces, on the River save and on your FFC save?

8 hours ago, Luke Rumble said:

Which River save is the one that the crash reproduces on, River or River(New)? Also is there a specific date where the crash always reproduces, on the River save and on your FFC save?

River (new) crashed while saving and River gave me the blue screen as did FFC. The dates were different

15 hours ago, LATB said:

River (new) crashed while saving and River gave me the blue screen as did FFC. The dates were different

Unfortunately either say isn't crashing for us, was it while processing or while doing something in game, like opening a inbox item or player profile or when you were on the tactics page?

And you're certain if you run the game say on Medium instead of High the game is still the same? 

7 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

And you're certain if you run the game say on Medium instead of High the game is still the same? 

Hi Neil yeah I’m certain that’s the case. 

On 13/08/2018 at 17:05, LATB said:

Hi Neil yeah I’m certain that’s the case. 

And you say the game crashed on you after a years gameplay, what type of crash was this? Was it a BSOD? Or was a crash dump message and file generated? Or did it just say it quit unexpectedly? 

20 hours ago, Neil Brock said:

And you say the game crashed on you after a years gameplay, what type of crash was this? Was it a BSOD? Or was a crash dump message and file generated? Or did it just say it quit unexpectedly? 

It just quits unexpectedly

Some users have found the game has crashed on the latest Nvidia driver. You can roll back to a March Nvidia driver and see if that makes any difference.

Please check to make sure your graphics card is listed on the 'Supported Products'

Desktop graphics cards 
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/132845/en-us

Laptop graphics cards 
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/132842/en-us

Let us know how you get on with the above. Thanks.

On ‎18‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 15:46, Neil Brock said:

Some users have found the game has crashed on the latest Nvidia driver. You can roll back to a March Nvidia driver and see if that makes any difference.

Please check to make sure your graphics card is listed on the 'Supported Products'

Desktop graphics cards 
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/132845/en-us

Laptop graphics cards 
https://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/132842/en-us

Let us know how you get on with the above. Thanks.

My graphics card a GTX1050 is listed in the supported products but I got this after downloading and trying to install the driver, I have windows 10

drveas.PNG

Edited by LATB

Okay, then for now completely uninstall all your current drivers and associated software, then reinstall - https://community.sigames.com/faq/football-manager-2018/134_how-to/138_pc/how-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-my-graphics-card-drivers-r405/ 

If this doesn't work when you next try to launch the game, we suggest doing as stated below:

- Right-click on desktop and go to the nVidia Control Panel 
- Click on the 'Manage 3D Settings' tab. 
- Under Global Settings make sure everything is active. 
- For the ones that only have the options of 'Off', 'Quality', or 'Performance', please choose 'Quality'. 
- Then confirm to save your changes

Let us know how you get on with the above and whether it fixes your issue.

Thanks.