Tactical systems

In real life managers have different styles and systems which ultimately depends on standard of players..

In football manager is it more the case  of using a tactic which best exploits the ME? 

It seems most most humans that have success with teams which wouldn’t do well in real life all seem to be ultra attcking formations which would appear to exploit the ME,  which perhaps maybe wouldn’t work IRL?

1 hour ago, wayne'o said:

In football manager is it more the case  of using a tactic which best exploits the ME? 

If you want to play like that, then go for it - it's your game.

On the other hand if you want to play in a more "realistic" (not sure that's the right term) way then you can do that as well.

It seems most most humans that have success with teams which wouldn’t do well in real life all seem to be ultra attcking formations which would appear to exploit the ME,  which perhaps maybe wouldn’t work IRL?

Personally this year I've had success using a 532 possession based system which used the attacking mentality; a strikerless 4141 inspired by Roma which used the Counter mentality; and currently having fun at West Ham with a False 9 4231 system with a little Barcelona inspiration using the Standard mentality.

If people want to use ultra attacking systems, good luck to them - that's perfectly fine.  It's entirely up to you how you want play :thup:.

Thanks for the insight herne79..

Iv not actually played the game for a thew years now so the game has probably changed a lot. I plan to start playing again when fm2019 is released.   I’m watching lots of YouTube videos and trying to gain knowledge from other users.. 

I like the idea of being able to develope more real life tactics..  I’m looking forward to playing.  Currently saving for a top pc with mega power to handle multiple leagues.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

If you want to play like that, then go for it - it's your game.

On the other hand if you want to play in a more "realistic" (not sure that's the right term) way then you can do that as well.

If people want to use ultra attacking systems, good luck to them - that's perfectly fine.  It's entirely up to you how you want play :thup:.

Good advice.

Yes there are tactics that are out there that 'break the match engine', there are also editors and stuff if that's the way you enjoy playing.

Personally, I build from what I've got in the squad.

Thanks for the insight herne79..

Iv not actually played the game for a thew years now so the game has probably changed a lot. I plan to start playing again when fm2019 is released.   I’m watching lots of YouTube videos and trying to gain knowledge from other users.. 

I like the idea of being able to develope more real life tactics..  I’m looking forward to playing.  Currently saving for a top pc with mega power to handle multiple leagues.

If you want to have a mess around and reacquaint yourself with the game, you could download the free demo.  It's the full game, it just limits you to 6 in game months.  So no long term saves but you can at least get a feel for things (and every time your 6 months is up, just start a new save and have another 6 months).

And should you need any advice on PC specs, there's this thread in the General Discussion forum which may help.

If you believe everything that you read, and download a so called exploit, then you may well have great success. I downloaded one of the 3 2 2 3 or 5 2 3 wingback “exploits” and had a couple of very good seasons.  The tactic had zillions of PIS and TIs.

I also read that possession tactics don’t work in FM18. However, I got bored with the downloaded tactic and developed my own 4 4 2 narrow diamond possession based tactic with only two TIs and three or four PIs and I’m getting better results than I did with the “exploit.” I should mention that I’m also pretty rubbish at working out tactics ... I tend to base all my ideas on  @llama3 ‘s  excellent Pairs and Combinations.

like the idea of being able to develope more real life tactics..  I’m looking forward to playing.  Currently saving for a top pc with mega power to handle multiple leagues.

My false 9 tactic was pretty much an exact derivative from an online source of real life theory and how it was used by Roma. Played out very nicely in FM.

@herne79 strikerless tactic challenge was triggered by a real life side (also roma, different era)... And he had success with that.

The ME is fairly capable of using sensible real life formations and if you setup with good roles and duties you can be successful. 

For sake of balancing the argument... Its a long way off being able to perfectly immitate real life tactics, particularly in terms of defensive capability. And yes... It is possible to create completly 'whacky' systems that could be deemed exploits. 

Thanks for the feed back guys 👍..  I was never an expert but did win the odd title and didn’t like using down loaded tactics as a believe the fun comes from solving the puzzle ones self..

The game does look very advanced from when I was last playing still can’t believe it’s been so long... 

looking forward to starting 😀

Archived