Temperamental Youngster

He is a GK and 19 now. Created in the club's youth system. Completely a "problem child". A red "volatile temperament" in his cons. He is not ready for first team football. He has much work to do.

I can't warn him, he rejects every criticism. I can't tutor him, he rejects the world class goalkeeper to tutor him. He is always unhappy with training. I can't even praise him as he rejects the praise and again disagrees with me. I could only get a reasonable response when i praised his conduct as he didn't hesistate to add "thanks but i don't do it intentionally, this is who i am" :)He was out on loan for a season, it didn't help.

Terminating his contract would be the easiest way but i don't want to. I decided to keep him in the club. Now i'm trying to build a good relationship with him and trying to be one of his favoured personnel as I am not for now. Maybe i can manage to help him develop then.

Anyone had this kind of temperamental player and anyone ever had success dealing with him? I only have praising his conduct in hand. Do i have a chance?

Being a West Ham fan, I used to have a certain problem child on my books too.  This is what I did:

1) Don't talk to him, it'll only make things worse.

2) Don't praise him.  Ever.  Warn or fine him if he misses training or gets sent off.

3) Find somebody - anybody - to tutor him.  Even somebody you may consider to be a rubbish tutor could change his personality just a little so that once that tutoring session ends you might be able to start another session with someone else who may be a better tutor.  You won't turn a problem child into a Model Pro (or even "Balanced") in just one tutoring session.

4) Hope things may improve, but expect they won't and you'll probably have to sell him.  That way you'll avoid disappointment but get a bonus if things turn out ok.

5) Set a time limit.  Don't keep flogging a dead horse.

21 dakika önce, herne79 said:

Find somebody - anybody - to tutor him. 

There is a world class gk to tutor him but he says "although i am not against the idea of learning from someone, he is not the correct tutor for me" :)and the tutoring doesn't start.

Probably he will never get any better as you say. But i will try.

I also think, what is the meaning of building a top class youth coaching team if i won't even be able to develop this kind of youngsters. Yes, you can't change everyone but i would at least expect to see a positive influence on the player.

38 minutes ago, ermant said:

There is a world class gk to tutor him but he says "although i am not against the idea of learning from someone, he is not the correct tutor for me" :)and the tutoring doesn't start.

Probably he will never get any better as you say. But i will try.

I also think, what is the meaning of building a top class youth coaching team if i won't even be able to develop this kind of youngsters. Yes, you can't change everyone but i would at least expect to see a positive influence on the player.

You have more than one senior goalkeeper, right? Does he have any idols? If his idol is nearing the end of his career and is cheap, might be worth bringing them in as a backup just to try and integrate him better.

As for your last point - realism, I presume. Ravel Morrison still hasn't been sorted out and he's mid-20s by now despite coming through United's youth system when Fergie was still in charge (and running the youth team midfield with Paul Pogba, who did develop). 

If I was you I would get rid of him and give your time and efforts to more deserving causes.  In real life, the number of problem youngsters who have made good will be small compared to those who have not changed

33 minutes ago, FrazT said:

If I was you I would get rid of him and give your time and efforts to more deserving causes.  In real life, the number of problem youngsters who have made good will be small compared to those who have not changed

I would agree with this - he would have to be the next Messi or Mbappe for me to put even more effort in to him.

Se eif you can sell him with a reasonable buy-back clause - might be worht handing him over to someone else for a while - does he have any preferred personnel at other clubs?

6 saat önce, zlatanera said:

You have more than one senior goalkeeper, right? Does he have any idols? If his idol is nearing the end of his career and is cheap, might be worth bringing them in as a backup just to try and integrate him better. 

Yeah, 2 senior GKs. No idols. And yes you are right, it doesn't have to be a success story for every youngter. I just say i can't observe any influence on him. I would like to have more detailed information about the case maybe.

1 saat önce, FrazT said:

I have just signed a new 5 year contract with him :) You are right but i just want to see if it is possible or not. A challenge.

45 dakika önce, Snorks said:

does he have any preferred personnel at other clubs?

His favoured personnel are current U23 and U18 managers. I am trying to add myself to the list to see if he will start listening to me or not.

Maybe leave him to the u23 manager for a while then.

Otherwise, loan him out - at 19 his match time will start to be more important for development than pure training so first-team playing time would perhaps be the way  I approach him now.

I had a centre half like that come through my system. He had bags of potential though so I worked on it. Finally he agreed to be tutored and his personality changed to "balanced" and now he's coming along nicely, he's 18 and a full Welsh international.

• 2 weeks later...
On 17.07.2018 at 18:50, herne79 said:

2) Don't praise him.  Ever.  Warn or fine him if he misses training or gets sent off.

I opened the door with praising his conduct.

He wasn't still anywhere near to accept tutoring. I have managed to get a good response after praising his conduct. He was delighted and just after that he surprisingly accepted the tutoring.

Finally, just in a short period time, his personality changed from temparamental to balanced, and it is removed from cons and added to the pros as "balanced and normal personality".

He is just normal now. I saved him.

Happy Ending :)

49 minutes ago, ermant said:

He wasn't still anywhere near to accept tutoring. I have managed to get a good response after praising his conduct. He was delighted and just after that he surprisingly accepted the tutoring.

Finally, just in a short period time, his personality changed from temparamental to balanced, and it is removed from cons and added to the pros as "balanced and normal personality".

Im genuinely happy. Would love to have a good regen with that personality :)

8 hours ago, ermant said:

and, you have probably kept him away from a life of street gangs, drugs and prostitution - changing kids lives - isn't that what this game is all about?

:lol::lol::lol:

Wouldn't mind betting he becomes a club legend.

On 18/07/2018 at 12:16, PThomason01 said:

I had a centre half like that come through my system. He had bags of potential though so I worked on it. Finally he agreed to be tutored and his personality changed to "balanced" and now he's coming along nicely, he's 18 and a full Welsh international.

Just an update on this, he is now a wonderkid :cool:

Archived