Final: France vs Croatia, 4pm BST

GunmaN1905

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Giroud still not had a shot on target this tournament. 

Kane scored 6 goals and gets all sorts of **** thrown his way. 

Giroud hasn't had 4 penalties and a deflection of his heel tbf ;) 

Just now, Marc Albrighton said:

I can understand both sides of the argument for that penalty but how can anyone say its "obviously" not a penalty?

It’s not about whether it was “obviously” not a penalty, it’s whether the original decision in real time (no pen) was “obviously” wrong. If you can feasibly argue it both ways it’s not an obvious error, therefore shouldn’t be corrected. 

I feel like I’ve posted this in about 20 threads but this is never how VAR was supposed to be used. It should have been used only to correct absolute howlers that people remember years later, not to review every tangle of legs or ball-to-hand moments. It’s ruined it.

il y a 1 minute, craigcwwe a dit :

Giroud still not had a shot on target this tournament. 

Kane scored 6 goals and gets all sorts of **** thrown his way. 

Giroud is a central defender and a defensive midfield.

Croatia are so strong mentally that I think they will come out and score one more. However France could well improve and score another 2. 

Can't wait to see the second half. 

Shearer bang on :thup: A FK that wasn't a FK and a penalty that wasn't a penalty. 

suppose there's an irony in these corrupt Croatian players being robbed. 

Just now, CFuller said:

If this continues, I suspect that the statistics from this match will be frequently brought up whenever anyone complains of being cheated by the AI on FM19.

Yeah, no more arguments against AI bias when Croatia conceded from penalty and own goal :D 

For me, the movement by Perisic was instinctive in the same way you quickly fumble to try and grab your phone when you begin dropping it. Not exactly deliberate but not accidental either.

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

I remember someone saying in here thst there is a referee from a certain nation (Argentina?) Who ALWAYS gives 1 minute at HT no matter what and usually blows about 50 seconds anyway. 

How is he even a professional ref? 

I remember watching that game and he did exactly this when there could have been 3+ given easily. 

Aren't German refs notorious for not adding any time in the first half?

Max. 1 min most of the time.

This game feels like I'm watching a certain Italian team winning.

3 minutes ago, JDownie said:

I remember someone saying in here thst there is a referee from a certain nation (Argentina?) Who ALWAYS gives 1 minute at HT no matter what and usually blows about 50 seconds anyway. 

How is he even a professional ref? 

I remember watching that game and he did exactly this when there could have been 3+ given easily. 

Aren't German refs notorious for not adding any time in the first half?

Max. 1 min most of the time.

Perišić pulled a reverse Materazzi, btw.

This game feels like I'm watching a certain Italian team winning.

1 minute ago, Rob1981 said:

It’s not about whether it was “obviously” not a penalty, it’s whether the original decision in real time (no pen) was “obviously” wrong. If you can feasibly argue it both ways it’s not an obvious error, therefore shouldn’t be corrected. 

I feel like I’ve posted this in about 20 threads but this is never how VAR was supposed to be used. It should have been used only to correct absolute howlers that people remember years later, not to review every tangle of legs or ball-to-hand moments. It’s ruined it.

It should help make major decisions correctly. That was a major decision. The ref looked at it and decided he got it wrong the first time. VAR working as intended

2 minutes ago, Pukey said:

There was nothing wrong at all with VAR then imo, I'm 100% happy with that incident being referred to the referee. 

I have serious misgivings with it if it is actively causing referees to make poor decisions.

Conceptually VAR is potentially a really good thing. The way it is used at the moment is not workable, and it shouldn’t be in major competition until it works.

It should only be an enhancement to decision making and never a detriment. At the moment it is both an enhancement and a detriment, and that’s not good enough.

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Giroud hasn't had 4 penalties and a deflection of his heel tbf ;) 

1 minute ago, Constantine said:

Well, Kane is supposed to score, Giroud is there to open up space for Griezmann and Mbappe. 

You can spin it however you like but Giroud is playing upfront for a team in the WC Final. 

I feel like you might not get it. VAR sucks. It won’t work bc it will always be human decisions. Just transplanted. It will not work. It stinks in NFL. 

He didn't really say it wasn't a penalty in real time though did he, it just looked like he didn't see it and then the VAR refs got into his ear about it.

4 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

You can spin it however you like but Giroud is playing upfront for a team in the WC Final. 

Not like anybody's been heaping praise on Giroud though. If you're suggesting he should be criticised (which his finishing should be because he's missed chances) then how do you explain the insistence some people have in their rabid defence of Raheem Sterling?

This game is a perfect argument for everyone in the world that dislikes football.

An amazingly stacked team doing nothing against a supposedly weaker opposition that's dominating them.
Then they score two goals from dubious refereeing decisions.

Just now, pearcey_90 said:

Amazing that France are going to win World Cup, despite being poor for pretty much 80% of the tournament and again in the final :D 

Just shows don't need to play good, just get the job done.

Westy must be seething. 

8 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

6 minutes ago, Icelander83 said:

It should help make major decisions correctly. That was a major decision. The ref looked at it and decided he got it wrong the first time. VAR working as intended

No way.  No way.  It was never there to "help them make decisions", they make decisions in real time and VAR was supposed to be used sparingly only to correct obvious mistakes.  To save refs the embarrassment if they missed something horrific like Maradona's handball or that offside Argentina goal against Mexico which people are still talking about 10+ years later.  It should have been used a handful of times across the whole tournament if that, just a failsafe if the referee makes a total **** up.  They're not supposed to freeze in the moment, not give a decision. and then trot over to the video because they can't make their minds up.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

This game is a perfect argument for everyone in the world that dislikes football.

An amazingly stacked team doing nothing against a supposedly weaker opposition that's dominating them.
Then they score two goals from dubious refereeing decisions.

Pretty much my thoughts. At times, football can really be a disgusting game.

This is playing into France's hands. 

They've done this all world cup. Slow to start, and get stronger as the game goes on. If I was Croatian, I'd be worried they're not in front. 

France has this all day long. So impressive how they're just simply smarter than any team they play. 

For me Perisic's arm just comes down naturally.  There is no way watching at real time that he has reaction time to actually be deliberately moving it to the ball.  Never a penalty.  

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

They've done this all world cup. Slow to start, and get stronger as the game goes on. If I was Croatian, I'd be worried they're not in front. 

France has this all day long. So impressive how they're just simply smarter than any team they play. 

Against Belgium, they were impressive.

But today they're looking shaky in defense and both goals are a joke.

Just now, Bliss Seeker said:

First goal our defense is too deep and we concede an own goal. Second a dubious hand ball. Really smart French play...

Just now, Rob1981 said:

No way.  No way.  It was never there to "help them make decisions", they make decisions in real time as the game goes on and VAR use was supposed to be minimal.  It was there only to correct obvious mistakes.  To save them embarrassment if they missed something horrific like Maradona's handball or that offside Argentina goal against Mexico which people are still talking about 10+ years later.  It should have been used a handful of times across the whole tournament if that, just a failsafe if the referee makes a total **** up.  They're not supposed to freeze in the moment, not give a decision. and then trot over to the video because they can't make their minds up.

So if the referee, like here, hasn't even seen what he should be making a decision about, France are just supposed to be ****ed?

Whatever the intent you think VAR should be applied with, the intent it actually should be applied with is to help referees approach 100% correct decisions. This "oh no, only MASSIVE blunders, not minor ones" crap is just that, actual crap. We should be striving towards getting the fairest refereed games possible

Just now, scott MUFC said:

so these high boots that were given, would Croatias goal in the semis stood with this ref?

Is there anyone else in this forum except for you complaining about that goal?

Walker took a dive, and Perišić got to the ball first in that situation.

Archived