Final: France vs Croatia, 4pm BST

GunmaN1905

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

One of the most borderline decisions a VAR ref has had to make all tournament as well

Yep. In a game of this magnitude it has to be 100% certain, and that was definitely not clear and obvious.

We've got a 40-something commentator calling a World Cup Final penalty "super cool" and the scorer of said penalty dancing like a Fortnite character.

The world we live in now.

Obviously not a penalty, but on the bright side a VAR cock up in the biggest game of all will hopefully stop it’s use in football.

I feel sorry for Croatia, I like the way they’ve approached this game. Gone all out to get an early goal knowing they won’t have the legs to chase the game later on, and they’ve been unlucky not to get ahead.

4 minutes ago, Haguey said:

Really though this is 0-0 after set piece goals are excluded.

Nobody's saying you can't be happy for England but how was Croatia's goal from a set piece ffs?! Loads happened after the initial free kick.

Just now, JDownie said:

Also when was the handball incident? About 7 mins ago? :lol:

In before 2 added minutes #StopClockPlease

Just now, Wigmore said:

Obviously not a penalty, but on the bright side a VAR cock up in the biggest game of all will hopefully stop it’s use in football.

I feel sorry for Croatia, I like the way they’ve approached this game. Gone all out to get an early goal knowing they won’t have the legs to chase the game later on, and they’ve been unlucky not to get ahead.

What absolute nonsense :D

1 minute ago, Wigmore said:

I personally disagree with the VAR decision, but that post right there really is absolute nonsense.

VAR has overall been a force for good. This decision comes from the referee. I'd rather the referee get a second chance to look at incidents even if we disagree with the decision. I mean, we disagree with decisions all the time with or without VAR, at least it gives them more of a chance to get things right.

1 minute ago, Constantine said:

I'm all for Croatia here, but how that is not a penalty? His hand is clearly going down for the ball... It's blink and you'll miss it but it's there 

Matuidi is blocking his view of the ball so I don't think his hand is clearly going anywhere. 

Just now, JDownie said:

Matuidi is blocking his view of the ball so I don't think his hand is clearly going anywhere. 

Yeah, no chance that he reacted like that on purpose, but his hand wasn't close to his body.

And the ball wasn't going on target, that's my biggest gripe.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, no chance that he reacted like that on purpose, but his hand wasn't close to his body.

Yeah Vida was right there to head it clear if it misses Perisic too. Stupid decision imo. 

3 minutes ago, Pukey said:

VAR has overall been a force for good. This decision comes from the referee. I'd rather the referee get a second chance to look at incidents even if we disagree with the decision. I mean, we disagree with decisions all the time with or without VAR, at least it gives them more of a chance to get things right.

Agree the referee has made the poor decision. But something is up with VAR if referees are overturning initially correct decisions to incorrect VAR assisted decisions. It’s happened a few times in the tournament, with the Iran one being the craziest example.

Also, didn’t think my post would get such a reaction, I didn’t think I was being that controversial :D 

3 mins :lol:

he looked at the VAR for 3 mins! What about the time he spent listening to players arguing, all of the goal celebrations, his time fannying about before the pen? Shocking. 

also France look crap defensively at setpieces. 

3 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Exactly this. He's no idea where the ball is so how anyone can say his hand's gone to the ball I don't know. His hand's going down because he's coming down too. If the rule is you have to be clear, ref's had a shocker there.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, that changes things... I've only seen VAR replay and focused on his hand and ball. I was going for Coke while that attack was ongoing. My mistake then. 

Just now, JDownie said:

he looked at the VAR for 3 mins! What about the time he spent listening to players arguing, all of the goal celebrations, his time fannying about before the pen? Shocking. 

A minute more than I predicted, to be fair :D And yet people will defend this rolling clock with injury time until they are blue in the face.

Agree the referee has made the poor decision. But something is up with VAR if referees are overturning initially correct decisions to incorrect VAR assisted decisions.

Also, didn’t think my post would get such a reaction, I didn’t think I was being that controversial :D 

There was nothing wrong at all with VAR then imo, I'm 100% happy with that incident being referred to the referee. 

Just now, JDownie said:

Half time injury time always seems to be artificially short for some reason. One of the arguments for stop clocks

Just now, enigmatic said:

Half time injury time always seems to be artificially short for some reason. One of the arguments for stop clocks

I remember someone saying in here thst there is a referee from a certain nation (Argentina?) Who ALWAYS gives 1 minute at HT no matter what and usually blows about 50 seconds anyway. 

How is he even a professional ref? 

I remember watching that game and he did exactly this when there could have been 3+ given easily. 

Archived