Third Place Playoff: Belgium v England (1500BST)

Rob1981

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

How was Kane's first effort VS Croatia (the one that was saved before hitting the post) not an effort on target?

Assistant flagged for offside, even though VAR would've shown it to be on.

Stones header that resulted in a  goal-line clearance isn't counted as a shot on target either.

10 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

My housemate looked extremely irritated when I got him to turn the tennis off to put this on, my reasoning being that we shouldn’t miss an England World Cup match.

I am already regretting my decision but am too proud to admit my mistake to my housemate.

You only have one TV?

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

How was Kane's first effort VS Croatia (the one that was saved before hitting the post) not an effort on target?

Matterface. 

Just now, CFuller said:

Glenn Hoddle coined it to describe England's corner routine.

Personally, I think it makes as much sense as having Glenn Hoddle in the commentary box.

Ok, thanks :) 

Well, I guess that's one way you can describe it :D 

1 minute ago, Orzelek said:

Isn't it something the teams chose themself? 

And as long as the kit colours don't clash, both can played in their away kits if they want

I think the serious answer is that FIFA want one team in a 'dark' kit and one team in a 'light' kit, as long as they don't clash.

Just now, CFuller said:

I think the serious answer is that FIFA want one team in a 'dark' kit and one team in a 'light' kit, as long as they don't clash.

They could have had Belgium in red and England in white. Assume the decision to play in away kits has more to do with the status of the match

1 minute ago, Marc Albrighton said:

I'dn rather Sterling on than Rashford just running into dead ends for 90 minutes.

Surely the team hailing from the nation which boasts 'the greatest league in the world' has more options than having to choose between two wholly ineffectual players for one position?

Just now, georginho_juventusygr said:

Stones is great.

Maguire gets all the plaudits, but I don't hear or read many people saying that Stones has had a great World Cup as well. In my view, he's been our best defender at this tournament.

I can't recall a thread about a England game at a big tournament with less activity then this one.

I can understand some people being diasppointed with the semifinal defeat, but seeing England in a 3rd place playoff is something that happens only every 25-30 years ffs :D 

2 minutes ago, cyclonus1010 said:

Do England have any young and promising creative midfielders (Foden aside) who have a chance of making the next Euro's?

James Maddison and Jack Grealish most likely up and coming to be ready in time for the Euro's.

Just now, Boltman said:

Surely the team hailing from the nation which boasts 'the greatest league in the world' has more options than having to choose between two wholly ineffectual players for one position?

Wasn't there a stat where the majority of players in the semi finals play in England? 

Done well to only be 1-0 down there. :thup:

Belgium have hammered to be honest, could be 3-0 up but for some good blocking by the defenders. Again, we are being demolished in the midfield.

3 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

Wasn't there a stat where the majority of players in the semi finals play in England? 

I have no idea, but I'm not having a go about the validity of that claim, I'm asking a genuine question.

If you're genuinely in the position where those are the only two options, and both are a waste of time, why are you even persisting with the concept. 

6 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

I can't recall a thread about a England game at a big tournament with less activity then this one.

I can understand some people being diasppointed with the semifinal defeat, but seeing England in a 3rd place playoff is something that happens only every 25-30 years ffs :D 

Conceding in the fourth minute isn't the sort of thing that builds up excitement tbf

Just now, G-Man11 said:

:brock:

I will watch that at some point as I've only seen him a couple of times. If he's a similar player to Grealish, as I believe he is, will be great to have the both of them in the setup. Loftus-Cheek has some serious potential by the looks of it as well.

7 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

It's a completely meaningless match tbf.

No-one actually cares about finishing 3rd rather than 4th. This match shouldn't even exist. Especially considering the players involved have a chance at cementing the Golden Boot, despite effectively being knocked out of the competition.

Just now, Andrew_ said:

Wright just said if Belgium didn't beat England to finish top and got the easy side of the group, they'd have a good chance of winning it. They would have still played France though :D 

Not if England had knocked France out :brock:

Archived