How do you know when to make in match adjustments

I was wondering how do you guys know when to adjust your tactics during the match. For example when to change player and/or team instructions. Also what setting do you watch your highlights on (key, extended...)? If you guys have any tips for me anything would be greatly appreciated. 

I watch Comprehensive mostly, occasionally full match in 3d - it's the only way to make sure you are seeing enough of your play to make tactical decisions IMHO.

If it is a game I am confident in, and the in-game stats show I am 'on top' probably never. 

A tight game, strong opposition etc, I may pause and dip into the analysis screens after 20mins or so to check my tactical masterplan is working properly or to identify any threats from the opposition and tweak a little from there.

Substitutions: possibly one at halftime, one around 60 minutes or so and one at 70 mins or so. I always plan for two tactical subs and one to cover for injuries or to give a youth player match time. The order the subs are used depends on the game situation, but the youth has to get at least 15 mins to gain any benefit.

9 hours ago, Snorks said:

The order the subs are used depends on the game situation, but the youth has to get at least 15 mins to gain any benefit.

How do you know that youth players need at least 15 mins to gain any benefit?

hace 4 horas, dinmor dijo:

That’s the amount of time it takes for a player to register a match rating, although he can still get a rating with fewer minutes if he scores a goal or gives an assist i think.

4 hours ago, dinmor said:

16 minutes ago, Sebas said:

That’s the amount of time it takes for a player to register a match rating, although he can still get a rating with fewer minutes if he scores a goal or gives an assist i think.

Players may need that amount of time to gain a match rating, but any time spent on the pitch can be beneficial for their development - there's no minimum.

hace 3 minutos, herne79 dijo:

Players may need that amount of time to gain a match rating, but any time spent on the pitch can be beneficial for their development - there's no minimum.

Oh well, nice. Thanks for the clarification.

1 hour ago, herne79 said:

Do you know when this was changed? Because if a player didn't get a match rating it didn't count as him playing a game up until last year. And I didn't see it mentioned as being changed anywhere.

22 minutes ago, Cleon said:

Do you know when this was changed? Because if a player didn't get a match rating it didn't count as him playing a game up until last year. And I didn't see it mentioned as being changed anywhere.

I'll give @Seb Wassell a poke here.  I seem to remember him mentioning it in a GD(?) thread but can't lay my hands on it atm.

@MaxTheManager

One little overlooked thing you can do in a match is set up your in-match 'notifications'.  The game will give you bits and pieces of information from stats to injuries (including knocks and niggles), through to tactical, performance and team advice.

You may not want all of the notifications on at once as it can be lot.  Sometimes people are wary of the assistant's tactical advice too.  But like anything its all worth a try.  Different things work for different people and how they play the game.  You may find a part of what it can offer that interests or helps you.  Good luck.

1. Know the strengths and weaknesses of your system - such as what spaces it should control and where it could be exploited

2. If you're not controlling or exploiting space, and possibly being exploited yourself, it's definitely time for a change. 

4 hours ago, Robson 07 said:

@MaxTheManager

One little overlooked thing you can do in a match is set up your in-match 'notifications'.  The game will give you bits and pieces of information from stats to injuries (including knocks and niggles), through to tactical, performance and team advice.

You may not want all of the notifications on at once as it can be lot.  Sometimes people are wary of the assistant's tactical advice too.  But like anything its all worth a try.  Different things work for different people and how they play the game.  You may find a part of what it can offer that interests or helps you.  Good luck.

Thanks @Robson 07

2 hours ago, NabsKebabs said:

1. Know the strengths and weaknesses of your system - such as what spaces it should control and where it could be exploited

2. If you're not controlling or exploiting space, and possibly being exploited yourself, it's definitely time for a change. 

@NabsKebabs  If I am playing a 4-2-3-1 what are the strengths and weaknesses of my system?

6 minutes ago, MaxTheManager said:

@NabsKebabs  If I am playing a 4-2-3-1 what are the strengths and weaknesses of my system?

Screenshot it if you want a more detailed answer. I believe the simplistic version is that if you're play CMs then there's a gap behind them, particularly if their roles are quite aggressive, if you play DMs then you might have a gap in the middle. But it depends on the roles, mentality etc. as you can make a well-balanced one. 

22 minutes ago, zlatanera said:

Screenshot it if you want a more detailed answer. I believe the simplistic version is that if you're play CMs then there's a gap behind them, particularly if their roles are quite aggressive, if you play DMs then you might have a gap in the middle. But it depends on the roles, mentality etc. as you can make a well-balanced one. 

image.thumb.png.5abee0c546457e55d711c357ad372bde.png

@zlatanera

9 hours ago, MaxTheManager said:

If you select the tactical information (the third on the right, in the top right of the pitch) it will shade the pitch showing which areas you are 'weakest' in - gives a pointer as to where you will be open.

9 hours ago, MaxTheManager said:

You're on standard, so yeah my initial one about how the opposition may be able to exploit the space between the CMs and CBs is probably relevant, but really looking at the ratings you're getting out of your players I'm guessing you're doing ok (4th doesn't tell me anything unless I can see how far you are off the top), you're probably looking at a few small tweaks like perhaps pushing higher up and pressing more in certain situations. My tweaks make things worse 90% of the time so I can't offer any more.

39 minutes ago, Snorks said:

If you select the tactical information (the third on the right, in the top right of the pitch) it will shade the pitch showing which areas you are 'weakest' in - gives a pointer as to where you will be open.

He's on FM17, as far as I remember this wasn't introduced until the current game.

22 hours ago, zlatanera said:

You're on standard, so yeah my initial one about how the opposition may be able to exploit the space between the CMs and CBs is probably relevant, but really looking at the ratings you're getting out of your players I'm guessing you're doing ok (4th doesn't tell me anything unless I can see how far you are off the top), you're probably looking at a few small tweaks like perhaps pushing higher up and pressing more in certain situations. My tweaks make things worse 90% of the time so I can't offer any more.

He's on FM17, as far as I remember this wasn't introduced until the current game.

Ok thanks @zlatanera , I made a few minor changes and they seem to be working out fine so far. I made the LCM a DLP-D and the RCM a CM-S.

On ‎14‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 02:10, Snorks said:

I watch Comprehensive mostly, occasionally full match in 3d - it's the only way to make sure you are seeing enough of your play to make tactical decisions IMHO

i'll play devils advocate (as I play mostly in extended) ... you could be clouded into thinking your tactic works because for 80 of the 90 mins you are seeing it unfold how you want. But if the 10 important minutes (highlights, key chances) are for the opposition... that's the bigger identification of whether things are working.... in a way I'd say watching the first half of a match in extended or even key (which I never do) is a good barometer (albeit at far higher level, not in depth) as to whether or not your tactic 'works'. If most highlights are AI, then they are exploiting a weakness, if most highlights are for your team, you are exploiting a weakness.

Archived