Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Baptista_8

What's your favourite part of a World Cup?

Recommended Posts

For me, it's the first two group games for all countries. For two reasons:

1. All teams are still in, with hope and energy to progress to the next round. All the fans are still around, again all with that same hope and positive feeling.

2. How thick and fast the games come, three games a day seeing so many different teams and players play is just amazing. Watching one game knowing for a while that there's another game just around the corner is awesome.

As good as some of the knockout games can be to watch, I'm always sad when the groups end and the games become fewer and further between.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The 3rd place play-off. :D

or seriously, probably just the football man. I just ****ing love watching football. Good football, bad football, doesn't matter. If the game is **** I'll have fun picking it apart with other folk on here. If the game is amazing then it's win/win. 

I mean specifically the group's are the best time, but only because the games are more frequent.

The standard of football at this tournament has been on the whole good football. It wasn't after the first couple of rounds but it really picked up with a lot of the big teams struggling going in their 3rd game. The knockouts have been sensational. They often tell a story and a match with a real narrative behind it is always fun (England Vs Croatia good for this despite the actual quality of football being only slightly above average - neither team impressed for the full 120, was sort of a 75/45 split in favour of Croatia)

Edited by JDownie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Baptista_8 said:

Sucks that in 4 years it'll be in winter 😣

Has this ever actually been confirmed? 

Surely it will hurt viewing figures too, more people work over the holidays (sometimes not even a choice - lots of retail places now don't allow holidays over the winter period, I've worked since I was 19 and had 4 different jobs in retail and not been allowed holidays December and January). 

E: I've just realised that in the rest of the world this could be totally different. I have no idea. 

Edited by JDownie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Has this ever actually been confirmed? 

Surely it will hurt viewing figures too, more people work over the holidays (sometimes not even a choice - lots of retail places now don't allow holidays over the winter period, I've worked since I was 19 and had 4 different jobs in retail and not been allowed holidays December and January). 

E: I've just realised that in the rest of the world this could be totally different. I have no idea. 

Yes, confirmed for November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Yes, confirmed for November.

Oh wow. 

At least in November holidays are easier to get :D except for in 2022 probably. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, JDownie said:

Oh wow. 

At least in November holidays are easier to get :D except for in 2022 probably. 

Well starting in Nov. Don't remember exact dates but it runs into December too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just seen it announced on twitter November 21st to December 18th.

2022-23 club season will be a strange one.

Highlight of this World Cup? Iran's flip throw :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Second and third round of the group stage, with 3/4 games per day.

 

As for the Qatar, football as we all know and love it is basically on it's last legs, WC in Qatar will be the last nail in the coffin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Always enjoy the time just before the tournament starts when you read up on all the countries and make your predictions. Devastated when it finishes and you realise you have to wait another 4 years :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, av3ry said:

Just seen it announced on twitter November 21st to December 18th.

2022-23 club season will be a strange one.

Highlight of this World Cup? Iran's flip throw :D

I wanted to see the big beautiful air conditioners. Booo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Japan vs Senegal match is like a storyline from a comic book, and was an amazing game to watch. The clash of two footballing styles from different footballing cultures meeting each other in a group game, it was exactly as advertised. Sure you got the Portugal vs Spain and France vs Argentina match as probably the best matches in this competition, but this one for me was just as good. It really showed that Asian teams are technically capable and African teams are more than just their physicality. It was just a great match all-around.

There was also only one match that did not produce a single goal in 90 mins/120 mins (Denmark vs France - thank God I chose to watch the Australia vs Peru match instead). Every single neutral were being well-fed for goals all summer. Drama, upsets galore, bangers, own goals, VAR implementation, you name it. Granted I've only started watching from 2002 but this is the best World Cup in my lifetime. Proceeding World Cups have a lot to do to top this one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My favourite part of this world cup was 19.45 Wednesday just gone. 

Seriously though I like it all. The build up, the groups, knockouts, upsets and the drama.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

For me, it's the first two group games for all countries. For two reasons:

1. All teams are still in, with hope and energy to progress to the next round. All the fans are still around, again all with that same hope and positive feeling.

2. How thick and fast the games come, three games a day seeing so many different teams and players play is just amazing. Watching one game knowing for a while that there's another game just around the corner is awesome.

As good as some of the knockout games can be to watch, I'm always sad when the groups end and the games become fewer and further between.

I only like the knockout games as all matches (bar the third place playoff) are worth something.

The group stage is generally boring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well obvious answer was England's shoot out win bur away from England. I also quite enjoyed Argentina/Nigeria as the pressure and emotion on display was ridiculous. Also the last round of games with Spain/Morocco and Portugal/Iran was superb entertainment. 

Knockouts lacked a few great moments. France/Argentina was fun but I missed the last 20 mins. Brazil/Belguim was good too I guess. 

Oh and Japan Belguim! Probably the best 45 mins at the tournament.

Edited by skybluedave

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, skybluedave said:

Well obvious answer was England's shoot out win bur away from England. I also quite enjoyed Argentina/Nigeria as the pressure and emotion on display was ridiculous. Also the last round of games with Spain/Morocco and Portugal/Iran was superb entertainment. 

Knockouts lacked a few great moments. France/Argentina was fun but I missed the last 20 mins. Brazil/Belguim was good too I guess. 

Oh and Japan Belguim! Probably the best 45 mins at the tournament.

Best games of the tournament for me are (in no particular order): Spain 3-3 Portugal, Croatia 3-0 Argentina, Mexico 1-0 Germany, Germany 2-1 Sweden, Argentina 1-1 Iceland, France 4-3 Argentina, Japan 2-3 Belgium, Belgium 2-1 Brazil, and, sorry England fans, Croatia (2)1-1(1) England. 

Game of the tournament either Belgium/Japan, Spain/Portugal or France/Argentina, which also had the goal of the tournament for me (Pavard). 

I unfortunately missed quite a few games but I'd say I've managed to see about 65-70% of them :)

Edited by JDownie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, PMLF said:

I only like the knockout games as all matches (bar the third place playoff) are worth something.

The group stage is generally boring.

This year I don't think it was boring at all. 

Group A was a formality. 

Group B was really interesting all the way to the final whistle as Spain and Portugal flirted with being knocked out. 

Group C wasn't too interesting. 

Group D featured Argentina Vs. Nigeria to decide who went through with Iceland Vs Croatia also being potentially deciding. Argentina dramatically going through. 

Group E had Brazil possibly being in for a tricky time but ultimately prevailing 

Group F had ****ing Germany knocked out and Mexico almost going and all the great drama you don't really expect 

Group G had, along with France Vs. Denmark in Group C, one of the worst final group rounds. 

Group H had plenty of drama too with Japan losing and Colombia winning meaning Japan's bottle didn't cost them (like Mexico).

Overall the group's were great, best in ages. That's why this is one of my favourite WCs, if not my favourite. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...