Sports Interactive Community
reddevil0276

FM 2018 doesn't launch after Steam update

Hi,

After not playing for a while, I started the game some days ago. It ran through an update process, of Steam I think, and failed to launch. I have tried steps suggested in the forum, but in vain. The popup box keeps saying about a serious problem and that the crash dump is stored in the SI folder. Please help me with this. Many thx!

DxDiag.txt

Hi @reddevil0276 have you tried updating your graphics driver? Looks like the last time it was updated was 2016. It may be worth doing that and seeing if that rectifies your issue.

Did you update both the Nvidia and the Intel graphics card drivers? 

Also are you trying to run any custom graphics/logos/skins/editor files or anything else custom with the game?

Let us know, thanks. 

Both of my graphics cards are up to date. I’ve done the update twice.

I was running custom logos, facepacks and tactics without any issues until the update. As suggested, I have removed all the custom graphics, but it didn’t help.

What else can I do?

Would you be able to attach the crash dump file you got when you tried to launch the game for us to take a look at?

Have you tried completely uninstalling and reinstalling your graphics drivers, rather than just updating?

Yes, I’ve already done that. I’ve also tried to uninstall and reinstall the game. The uninstalling was unusually simple and fast. Not sure if it’s also an error.

Have you tried running the game in windowed mode to see if that gets you past the point where it is crashing for you?

- Open Steam and access your Games Library
- Right-click on Football Manager 2018 -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options
- Type this in the box: -small_screen -windowed
- Click on OK, close the window and launch FM18 through Steam

Would you also be able to send us over your Belarc report for us to take a look at?

Would you also try running the game with the following shortcut?

- Open Steam and access your Games Library
- Right-click on Football Manager 2018 -> Properties -> General -> Set Launch Options
- Type this in the box: --config very_low
- Click on OK, close the window and launch FM18 through Steam

It couldn’t help either. Both of my attempts to launch from the saved game and start a new career failed!! It’s seems difficult to get the game back!

Would you be able to attach your Belarc report for us to take a look at to see if there are any programs that might be effecting FM during launch? Thanks.

Apologies so you have, did the game manage to launch when you removed your custom graphics? Also do you have an editor files or custom databases installed?

If I am to remove custom and editor files, do I have to completely take them out from the laptop? I deleted the files from C: and created a backup in D: and it didn't help.

That should have been enough, don't worry about deleting them completely from your laptop as long as they are no longer in the Sports Interactive > Editor data folder. If you were to switch which graphics card you are running the game off does that make a difference?

Are you trying to run anything custom at all with your game? Perhaps custom interaction based questions or text? Or anything else at all?

If so, if you remove everything custom with the game, do you encounter the same issue? May also be worth uninstalling and reinstalling the game during this process, any existing save games will be left untouched during this process.

Let us know, thanks. 

No, I can’t think of any custom things left in my system. I already have done the uninstalling - reintalling thing several times. Nothing happened. And the uninstalling was unusually fast. 

One more thing: a box suggesting me of checking if the graphic cards are up to date keeps popping up at the loading screen, even though my cards are already up to date.

Okay well the game is launching then if you're getting that popup - when exactly is it crashing for you now? At what point during the game?

Is a crash dump file generated? If so, can you please attach the latest? If there's no crash dump, do you get some other kind of error message?

Let us know, thanks. 

Hi reddevil0276, following your update on your graphics card, would you be able to attach the updated DXDIAG for us again please?

Also,does the crash only occur when you try to load a save game, and would you be able to try starting a new game and see if the crash still happen, please?

Let us know how you get on please. Thanks

Are you using any anti-virus other than Windows defender? If so, have you tried uninstalling it the anti-virus? 

It is worth trying to reinstall Steam.

I would also suggest you to roll your Nvidia graphics card to the March version if you haven't done so.

Let me know if either of these methods work. Thanks.