Sports Interactive Community
Hodgy

Semi Final 2: Croatia Vs England (ITV, KO @19:00)

Who will win and go through to the World Cup Final?  

61 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Who will win?

• Croatia
    • England

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/18 at 18:00

I thought during the end of normal play he was keeping subs back for extra time and then during extra time he was thinking about penalties.  

A braver manager might have been doing more to try and win the game, but I think Southgate is very much a cautious manager. 

Pickford

Walker--Stones--Maguire

Trippier--Henderson--Cook/Delph/Ward-Prowse/Shelvey--Young/Rose

Alli/Lingard

Kane--Sterling

Play this in September against Spain please Gareth. I dont think we can play Alli, Lingard and Sterling all too attacking, we need someone alongside Henderson who wont bomb forward as soon as our defence get the ball back.

Just minor changes like that needed.

I'd also have Henderson captain over Kane but that doesnt really matter too much.

Edited by av3ry

I don't think the back three is something that should continue tbh. I know I'm going to get 'but who we played doesn't matter!!!!11' nonsense, but unfortunately you do have to look at it. And the back three barely worked against that lot, let alone the first half-decent pseudo top tier nation England faced.

I think it suits a very select group of the squad. So some look like top players in it, and others look rubbish.

2 hours ago, Astafjevs said:

I don't think the back three is something that should continue tbh. I know I'm going to get 'but who we played doesn't matter!!!!11' nonsense, but unfortunately you do have to look at it. And the back three barely worked against that lot, let alone the first half-decent pseudo top tier nation England faced.

I think it suits a very select group of the squad. So some look like top players in it, and others look rubbish.

The back 3 didnt work because of the way we used the front 3/4. Having a back 3 allows you to use your fullbacks aggressively (as wing back) meaning you dont need wingers. So you should have a midfield trio (the outer midfielder always being able to cover the wing back as he advances) the centre of the three midfielders should be a playmaker of some sort... And there should always be 2 central strikers. 

In terms of translating this to england...trippier and young (who should be rose) should have been more attacking more frequently... We should have had henderson and dier in cm... Where one always covering the most advanced full back... I. E. Rose attacks down left so dier slots in leaving other 2 cms, 2 strikers and opposite wb in advance or support of the ball carrier.... And if it's trippier then henderson would cover and same applies. 

The third midfielder could either be shelvey... Wilshere... Rlc... As a playmaker... Or alli/sterling/lingard as an AM. 

If we had chosen a playmaker id have alli playin his spurs role as a shadown striker/roaming am... And kane as focul point of attack always threatening the box. 

If we went with attacking mid instead of a playmaker id have chosen another hard workin striker (vardy/welbz) to partner kane. 

So the back 3 would have worked :D

Otherwise stick with the attack we had but play 4231/4123 to give us another body in midfield instead of defence. 

We played a hybrid of the two and it didnt work in attack or defense

Tl:dr... What im getting at is if you play 5 defenders you either play direct (so whilst good players, for the system, lingard and sterling may not have been the right personnel... And kane dropping so deep not the right strategy)... Or you need to use a playmaker who can keep possession and allow more time for deep players to advance in transition. 

I. E. Modric or rakitic were always within a few yards of the ball carrier and they got the ball to the wing backs high up the field. They always then had mandzukic and rebic/or perisic to cross to. 

He's not wrong tbf. As I said in my own post, for all the bluster about Southgate and his system this England side very quickly reverted to type when they were put under any pressure.

11 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Croatians (particularly Vrsjalko and Modric) doing a lot of talking after the game.

But nothing they've said isn't accurate. I feel a bit for England, they've done well considering the amount of changes they've made and players they've introduced but how many of the England squad players would be considered the best player at their club? Even the best in their position? The Spurs lads maybe? 

13 minutes ago, Gary_Parker said:

But nothing they've said isn't accurate. I feel a bit for England, they've done well considering the amount of changes they've made and players they've introduced but how many of the England squad players would be considered the best player at their club? Even the best in their position? The Spurs lads maybe? 

Yeah but it's hardly the players' faults and the views of some don't exactly represent everyone in our nation.

Only Kane probably in answer to your question, but that's arguably between him and Eriksen.

My list. Obviously some are a bit subjective.

Best at club:

Pickford at Everton?

Vardy at Leicester?

Kane at Harry Kane FC?

Best in position at club:

Keepers: Butland/Pickford/Pope (50:50 with England's 4th choice Heaton).

Centre Backs: Maguire/Stones (50:50 with Otamendi or non-crocked Kompany)/Walker (but as a Full Back)

Full Backs: Young/Trippier/Alexander-Arnold

Midfield: Loftus-Cheek

Forwards: Kane/Vardy/Sterling (admittedly one of a group at similar levels)

27 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Yeah but it's hardly the players' faults and the views of some don't exactly represent everyone in our nation.

Only Kane probably in answer to your question, but that's arguably between him and Eriksen.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that the players were the ones at fault, the problem with those views though are they're the views that are broadcast and heard the most, hence Modrics comments. If only the sensible views were heard, like Roy Keanes 

4 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

Croatians (particularly Vrsjalko and Modric) doing a lot of talking after the game.

As you people already quoted, Vrsaljko said that England reverted back to hoofing the ball in the second half due to pressing.

But noone mentioned the disrespect part.
He said it was referred to the media, not the players, who shown great sportsmanship.

Southgate also went to congratulate everyone on Croatian bench right after the FT.

Croatian coach and players were indeed very impressed with the way England players and especially Southgate conducted themselves. It's the press they were criticizing.

Are you still banging on about the ref? :D

Edited by Boltman

In fairness the ref went from a fantastic performance to missing completely everything in the 2nd half. Also the linesman missing two calls right by him which couldn't have been more obvious.

Defenders should start and try heading the low crosses all the time.

Especially ones on the ground. That way it will be a dangerous play by the forwards all the time.

31 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Defenders should start and try heading the low crosses all the time.

Especially ones on the ground. That way it will be a dangerous play by the forwards all the time.

But what's that got to do with this debate. The ball was high, the foot was high. Walker's head was very near if not right by it.

8 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

But what's that got to do with this debate. The ball was high, the foot was high. Walker's head was very near if not right by it.

Don't forget, something happened in a match years ago too.

Inconsistency :mad:

Le 12/07/2018 à 10:13, Coulthard's Jaw a dit :

I love how international football usually has pretty random results in FM but this World Cup has actually followed it pretty closely.

523098596_WorldCup_2022.thumb.png.ce2becf28a9b262b5b408fcb61ddbeab.png

1 hour ago, scott MUFC said:

its the same flipping ref, not some random event years ago.

And how many matches do you think he's refereed in that time? Are you going to go over every single one with a fine toothcomb and list all the times he had a judgement to make which any ref could have seen multiple ways, or just claim that because he once sent off Nani but permitted the Perisic goal he's somehow a wildly inconsistent clown of a ref?

Jesus wept. Do you even understand the concept of human falability? No ref is entirely consistent, and no ref ever gets every single decision correct. This is the same ref that Hoddle was claiming after twenty minutes had given every single decision to England. It's not like he was biased and somehow got England punted out of the World Cup.

Edited by Boltman

35 minutes ago, Cyp said:

Lost count the number of times I've seen Scotland in World Cup and Euro finals on FM simply because I have Scottish leagues running. It's a huge flaw in the game. Home Nations players are invariably over-rated, and the quality of regens is just stupidly so. Even had an AI Gordon Strachan managed Scotland win 2018 World Cup in FM14 simply because there are a stupid number of Scots teens at the start of the game who invariably become World Class. It's a total nonsense.

Edited by Boltman

il y a 51 minutes, Boltman a dit :

Lost count the number of times I've seen Scotland in World Cup and Euro finals on FM simply because I have Scottish leagues running. It's a huge flaw in the game. Home Nations players are invariably over-rated, and the quality of regens is just stupidly so. Even had an AI Gordon Strachan managed Scotland win 2018 World Cup in FM14 simply because there are a stupid number of Scots teens at the start of the game who invariably become World Class. It's a total nonsense.

neither scotland nor serbia leagues were running, and i manage in France (league loaded were : France, spain, italy, ger, england, mexico, brazil, argentina, portugal, czech republic and croatia)

1 hour ago, Cyp said:

Oh wow, we were so close, if that's not worth having a few beers about nothing is!

We actually did better than those English pussies!  :D 

2 minutes ago, Cyp said:

neither scotland nor serbia leagues were running, and i manage in France (league loaded were : France, spain, italy, ger, england, mexico, brazil, argentina, portugal, czech republic and croatia)

That makes it even more bizarre :D

On 13/07/2018 at 18:40, Cyp said:

Don’t buy this, it has Mexico winning a round of 16 game ffs