Semi Final 2: Croatia Vs England (ITV, KO @19:00)

Hodgy

Who will win and go through to the World Cup Final?  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win?

• Croatia
    • England

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/07/18 at 18:00

It's Semi Final day and believe it people, England are playing for a place in the World Cup Final where France await the winners.

Croatia are the designated home team but England will be playing in an all White kit (Shirts, shorts & socks) due to the Croats home kit clashing with both of Englands.

We already know the England line up (below) unless there is a late injury:

Pickford, Maguire, Stones, Walker, Young, Trippier, Henderson, Alli, Lingard, Sterling, Kane (c).

I was hoping someone else would put more effort into opening a thread but I couldn't wait, the build up starts now and I'm really excited, it's semi final day and England are playing. :hammer:

• Replies 968
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Just dreamt we lost 4-1 :( Don't be a sign. I think we were also playing Turkey not Croatia so I'm banking on my dream not beung a very good prophecy. 

I was joking at the end of the group stage that it's probably gonna end up France vs England as they were the top 2 teams I'd picked to follow this year (England cos I'm English, France because it's the only other country I've spent a significant amount of time at) and now it looks quite likely. Hoping France won't tank us in the final but wouldn't begrudge them.

I've had a feeling all week that it'll be a 1-1 draw but penalties will be avoided with England scoring in ET and winning 2-1.

Talking about penalties, Croatia have won both KO games so far on pens so does anyone know whether a team has won all KO games on pens and got through to the final that way? I don't believe it's been done as I'm sure I heard somewhere that most penalty wins before a final was two but not sure if that's a fact.

I have to optimistically select England although it won't be easy.

Croatia are good on the ball, I do think they can alternate between being a bit flaky and being amazing though. We'll need top level concentration. I do worry if we go 1-0 down and have to chase a game, not sure how that'd go. Always worry a little about the defence doing something silly, despite our clean sheet.

I would freaking LOVE to get to the World Cup Final!

Come one, England!!

8 minutes ago, Stfc mason said:

Proud of them to have got this far but would be so disappointed if we don’t end up back at Moscow on Sunday after tonight 

Yep, I think the expectations have been so low prior to the tournament that even with the draw opening up and our recent history no one truly believed we'd do it and we were waiting for the inevitable screw up, however now we're here and facing Croatia in the semi final the whole nation is definitely expecting to win this match.

We simply have to win don't we?

51 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

Talking about penalties, Croatia have won both KO games so far on pens so does anyone know whether a team has won all KO games on pens and got through to the final that way? I don't believe it's been done as I'm sure I heard somewhere that most penalty wins before a final was two but not sure if that's a fact.

No team has done it at a World Cup. I believe Argentina in 1990 and Croatia this year are the only teams to have won two shoot-outs at one WC.

32 minutes ago, toon_84 said:

If England don't lose in the 90 minutes I think they'll go through.

This for me to. I expect England to be much fitter than Croatia, the only way I see Croatia win this match is to be at least two goals in front within an hour or so. Then England must come and can the Croats counter their way out of it. 

2 hours ago, Hodgy said:

Henderson has been fantastic for us, should be the captain really but not complaining about it at all, c'mon England!!!

We've gone all tournament not caring about who is captain like every other country instead of making a big deal out of it and its been so refreshing 

Part of what makes this England side so likeable 

10 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

We've gone all tournament not caring about who is captain like every other country instead of making a big deal out of it and its been so refreshing 

Part of what makes this England side so likeable 

I honestly thought Henderson was the captain... :thup:

I hoped this day would come sooner or later, but I didn't think it'd be this day or this team. This young England team, which is - on paper - the weakest I can remember over the past two decades. A team that started the qualifying campaign with Sam Allardyce as manager and an over-the-hill Wayne Rooney as captain! :lol:

Before the tournament, I expected us to get to Round 2, maybe the Quarters at a push. Getting to within 90 minutes of the World Cup Final when expectations were at their lowest is pure madness. I just hope I don't have to wait another 28 years for us to have as great a chance of going all the way.

Here's what I think will happen. I can see England scoring first... but then Croatia will force extra-time and steal a 2-1 win in the second additional half. :(

Win or lose, I'm going to try to enjoy tonight. If we get to the Final, great. If we don't, but we still put in a valiant performance, then that will be more than good enough for me.

I've decided I'm putting £100 on Croatia to qualify!

I honestly never thought I'd see England get to a World Cup Final and I'd happily pay £100 for us to be there so that's what I'm doing, if we win it's money well spent and if we lose well we still made the Semis for only the 3rd time in our history and I'd have a few quid to compensate :thup:

Work is utterly futile this morning.

Been here an hour and a half and done about 2mins of work so far.

The rest of the time has been spent surfing football forums. Plus trying to shoo the baby Seagull away from our Office door.

As for tonight, so long as we give 100% and leave it all on the pitch, I will be proud regardless of win or loss.

Never expected us to get past the last 16.

A win would be nice though, so following the same routine as the previous 2 knockout rounds. 

20 minutes ago, Hodgy said:

I've decided I'm putting £100 on Croatia to qualify!

I honestly never thought I'd see England get to a World Cup Final and I'd happily pay £100 for us to be there so that's what I'm doing, if we win it's money well spent and if we lose well we still made the Semis for only the 3rd time in our history and I'd have a few quid to compensate :thup:

I've had a steadily increasing hedge bet against us from the second round onwards. I'm almost ****ing bankrupt.

My money is on Croatia tonight. They'll easily win battle at midfield, while Rebic and Mandzukic are capable of scoring against that defense of yours. Anyway, won't be mad even if you guys go through, as i quite like you, but really expect Croatia to nick it.

Tell you what, I'm glad none of you guys are doing the team talk.

"Win or lose they've done us proud."

"Hope we a give it a go."

"Valiant performance either way which is more than good enough!"

Yes, we would have all taken a semi final exit before the tournament started, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't adjust expectations as things pan out.  Before the tournament started we would have expected to play Germany or Brazil in the quarters, then probably Spain or maybe Argentina in the last four.  Now we stand on the brink of a final as favourites to progress with "only" Croatia in the way.  Some good players yes, but they couldn't beat either Denmark or Russia over 120 minutes and ought to be shagged out after two periods of extra time.  We're showing them far too much respect if we don't back ourselves to win it, or if we start talking philosophically about a brave exit being OK before a ball's even been kicked.  We should all be crushed if we don't win.  Totally crushed.

5 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Tell you what, I'm glad none of you guys are doing the team talk.

"Win or lose they've done us proud."

"Hope we a give it a go."

"Valiant performance either way which is more than good enough!"

Yes, we would have all taken a semi final exit before the tournament started, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't adjust expectations as things pan out.  Before the tournament started we would have expected to play Germany or Brazil in the quarters, then probably Spain or maybe Argentina in the last four.  Now we stand on the brink of a final as favourites to progress with "only" Croatia in the way.  Some good players yes, but they couldn't beat either Denmark or Russia over 120 minutes and ought to be shagged out after two periods of extra time.  We're showing them far too much respect if we don't back ourselves to win it, or if we start talking philosophically about a brave exit being OK before a ball's even been kicked.  We should all be crushed if we don't win.  Totally crushed.

It's only because it's out of my hands. If I was in the dressing room tonight Gary Wackett would be ******** himself :D

• Administrators

In 2007 when we lost at Wembley, I actually put money on Croatia to win at the time. Was a nice little earner.

Surprises me 10 years later, Corluka, Modric and Rakitic all played in that game and are in the Croatian squad this World Cup. 

Think with Croatia being knackered I expect us to win, and at least we have Kane up front instead of Crouch that day :D 

Just now, Lucas Weatherby said:

In 2007 when we lost at Wembley, I actually put money on Croatia to win at the time. Was a nice little earner.

Surprises me 10 years later, Corluka, Modric and Rakitic all played in that game and are in the Croatian squad this World Cup. 

Think with Croatia being knackered I expect us to win, and at least we have Kane up front instead of Crouch that day :D 

I can't believe Corluka is still involved with Croatia - he was pretty slow when he played for us in his mid-20s.

If he starts tonight (it looks like it as Vrsaljko was injured against Russia) Sterling is hopefully going to have a field day.

Seem to remember Paul Scholes being on a massive barren run for England going into Euro 2004, hadn't scored for about 20 games and then he got our first goal against Croatia in a 4-2 win.

Be nice if Sterling could do the same tonight.

17 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

I can't believe Corluka is still involved with Croatia - he was pretty slow when he played for us in his mid-20s.

If he starts tonight (it looks like it as Vrsaljko was injured against Russia) Sterling is hopefully going to have a field day.

This is time for Sterling to shine. And to ram the critics up the arse 

26 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

I do not expect Ćorluka to be at RB, but CB. He is slow, yes, but with a deeper line, this could work. His main opponent will be Kane, anyway.

Ćorluka is indeed slow but he compensates with his reading of the game. Is heavily dependent on the system though but when used properly he is/was pure class. At City he was mostly used as a RB, something he rarely played before and was obviously too slow for that, especially for EPL.

Still one of the best CBs we ever had.

12 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I'd expect Kane to drop deep and Sterling to go further forward.

All the more reason for Croatia to drop deep. Although, I've been hearing some rumors of a nasty surprise Croatia might pull...

12 minutes ago, Bunkerossian said:

All the more reason for Croatia to drop deep. Although, I've been hearing some rumors of a nasty surprise Croatia might pull...

They wont turn up at all? :D

2 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

Getting rid of Corluka and signing Zab was the best piece of business we did 

We are some kind of full back rotation with you guys - Corluka to us, Walker to you, Trippier from you to us via Burnley

3 hours ago, Bunkerossian said:

What's this  'nasty surprise' rumour then? You can't leave this hanging without telling us.

19 minutes ago, decapitated said:

What's this  'nasty surprise' rumour then? You can't leave this hanging without telling us.

Well, the most recent news refuted that rumor. I am sad that happened, because I would've loved to see Croatia poison the midfield.

Archived