Semi Final 1: France Vs Belgium (for the right to face and lose to England in the World Cup Final)

Hodgy

Who will face England in the world cup final?  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Who's going through to the final?

• France
    • Belgium

• Replies 348
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Are we gonna play Belgium again? :D Has that happened at a WC before? 2 teams facing eachother twice?

And possibly with 2 reserves teams....

Fun game, both sides had good chances and some really good players. This game could easily have been the final.

A routine victory for France.
Typical game with a great team that's not playing so well and an overhyped team.

Belgium won one game against top opposition since this golden generation trend started, that was the Brazil game.
Even there, they were lucky to take the lead after not conceding because of ridiculously bad defending.
Then they could counter-attack all they want.

And now, first time they face a stacked midfield with huge amount of physicality, they're nowhere to be seen.
Literally nothing from the best attack of the tournament.
Kinda reminds me of Napoli and Tottenham, just on NT level.

Fellaini - that goal is his faul.
Witsel - completely anonymous.
Dembele - worst player on the pitch by some margin.
KdB - completely neutralised by French midfield.

That gives at least some satisfaction to us haters because Martinez didn't invite Radja. :D

Anyhow, I can't support really France in any sport, so hopefully the winner of other semi-final wins the trophy, although France is simply the best team here.
And as per usual, you can't win WC without amazing defense.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Pretty certain it has.

Yes, happened a few times, in 1994 Brazil drew with Sweden in the group stage, then beat them in the semis.

In 2002 Brazil beat Turkey in the group stage and in the semis.

1 minute ago, PaulHartman71 said:

Thought it was a weird game. Almost felt like a final. 

It was really, winner of this was clearly going to be the overall winner :brock:.

Very professional performance from France, my prediction of them as champions looking pretty good :cool:.

Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

Probably because the supply was sub par most of the game. He had to drop deep and wide to get on the ball since France did a job on KdB, and Chadli was so poor with his delivery

Think that's being kind to him. Service wasn't ideal but he did have chances and he was too static generally.

A problem, but far from the main problem.

3 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

A routine victory for France.
Typical game with a great team that's not playing so well and an overhyped team.

Belgium won one game against top opposition since this golden generation trend started, that was the Brazil game.
Even there, they were lucky to take the lead after not conceding because of ridiculously bad defending.
Then they could counter-attack all they want.

And now, first time they face a stacked midfield with huge amount of physicality, they're nowhere to be seen.
Literally nothing from the best attack of the tournament.
Kinda reminds me of Napoli and Tottenham, just on NT level.

Fellaini - that goal is his faul.
Witsel - completely anonymous.
 Dembele - worst player on the pitch by some margin.
KdB - completely neutralised by French midfield.

That gives at least some satisfaction to us haters because Martinez didn't invite Radja. :D

Anyhow, I can't support really France in any sport, so hopefully the winner of other semi-final wins the trophy, although France is simply the best team here.
And as per usual, you can't win WC without amazing defense.

I mean say what you like about how they've underachieved for the last 8 years and how stupidly the term Golden Generation is often used but you can't deny this clearly is a golden generation of Belgian talent.

2 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Think that's being kind to him. Service wasn't ideal but he did have chances and he was too static generally.

A problem, but far from the main problem.

I thought he could have doubled up on Pavard with Hazard, far less mobile than he is with United, similar to Kane. Long out balls to him, isolate Pavard, leave Hazard running at the central defenders. But maybe more tactical than player based. Belgium had no real ideas

5 minutes ago, Gorando said:

Overhyped teams dont reach the semi finals

And on the first test against a great opponent where things don't go your way, that team completely failed.

Props for the great game against Brazil, but Belgium got completely outplayed by France today, in a tactical sense.

2 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

I mean say what you like about how they've underachieved for the last 8 years and how stupidly the term Golden Generation is often used but you can't deny this clearly is a golden generation of Belgian talent. 

Yeah, but for the last 4 or so years people constatly rated them as top5 NTs in the world without them achieving anything.

Archived