[FM18] The Last King of Scotland - From the Highlands to European Glory

theBlackPrince

• Replies 235
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, fabreth said:

4 scottish teams! And i guess Celtic is still in Champions League? Must be good for the coefficients ;)

Celtic got stuffed in the Champions League! 1 point from 6 games against AC Milan, Real Madrid and Bournemouth!! Only Scottish team out of Europe, rest have been doing pretty well, but all pretty much foreign player heavy now!

1 hour ago, Rikulec said:

I don't think I've ever seen a situation where the 2nd placed team in the group had already sealed qualification while the leaders still had to fight for it. That's insane. :D

Nor had I! I was like what?? Until I read the rules and it made sense! 

1 hour ago, Blah_1123 said:

I'm confused as to how this was the case?

They had won both games over Torino so had the better head to head if they had both been on 10 point so they qualified regardless. Made me sweat the last game!

19 minutes ago, Clarky323 said:

Would it be to do with head to head rules?

four teams from Scotland and four teams from England... eight British teams in the last 32 has to be a record!

Yup, head to head beat Torino twice so couldn't finish less than second, was all down to me to win, or well Torino to also lose and make it easier for me!

Scotland doing really well, well apart from Celtic in Europe but they dominating the league! Pretty good going 8 from 32, wonder if we can get 5 or 6 in the last 16!

What is going on?!?!?

You are storming it bro! I was not expecting this European run and the results to boot.

Third season and you are now top three in the league and challenging as well, very impressive.

I'm 5 years in the SPFL with Airdrie and a top 6 club but not challenging top two who are Falkirk and Hearts these days who are just RAMPANT.

I spy a domestic big boy cup around the corner in your future, as good as the Irn Bru success a domestic cup will really push on your club's reputation making it easier to attract players.

Keep going bro. It's what, less than 9 weeks now until FM19 BETA? Wonder if you can get a treble/quad?

Euro Cup - 1st Knockout Round - Leg 1 - Koln (GER) vs Fort William (SCO)

An all Scottish team lined up to take on Koln in the first leg. No-one had expected the minnows from the Highlands to get this far, but with every game the confidence grew and with a might strike partnership, anything was possible. Would Koln prove to be too much, or would this magical run continue? The bookies money was on manager-less Koln as favorites. Only time would tell in front of 41,641 fans, of which Fort William managed a poor 65 away fans.

Goal 1 - It was a magical start for the Scottish team as with only 11 minutes on the clock they took the lead. New signing Scott Mellon, still learning that wing-back role managed to get the cross in striker Kevin Wilson managed to beat two defenders in the air and nod the ball down. That left Ian Bowden all alone from 4 yards out for the simple tap in which he put away with ease and Fort William had a crucial away goal!

7LB4mM1.png bs4uUOS.png 

Goal 2 - It wouldn't take long for Fort William to double the advantage when the three players who combined for the first goal, would be heavily involved in the second. Scott Mellon played a beautiful ball from just inside the Koln half which Ian Bowden beat the off-side trap to win the ball. Crossing the ball from just inside the box, Kevin Wilson would get ahead of the defenders and once again, scored from close range. 20 minutes in, Fort William are on cloud 9 with a 2-0 lead and looking great value for the win.

9Zlbalx.png i3oCSSU.png

Goal 3 - We haven't even made it to the half as on the 36th minute, Koln fans started to leave the ground when the third Fort William goal went in. Loanee Ian Johnson took the ball 25 yards out, waited for Kevin Wilson to make the run between defenders and with a perfectly weighted pass, slotted the ball to his feet and on the form he is on, slotted the ball into the bottom corner from 15 yards out for his second of the game. Fort William are running riot!

kn8ZJeA.png xGGFvGO.png

Goal 4 - It would take until the 89th minute for any more action as a shell shocked Koln team just tried to get the game over and done with, not looking like a top European side. Ian Johnson would take the corner and find Tom Pyper outside the area. With a pass to the edge of the box found young striker Kane Inglis who took it first time and showing a glimpse of magic, slotted the ball past the Koln keeper for the Fort William 4th goal. What a game, what a Fort William performance.

rXKC9ts.png mat49Xd.png

Other results saw a mixed bag for Scottish Teams as Hibs won, but Hearts and Rangers could only draw. The result might be vital for Hearts who were 3-1 down, but ended up with the draw but more importantly, 3 away goals! Still, a good chance all Scottish teams could qualify for the next round!

wJj1XUs.png

Euro Cup - 1st knockout Round - Leg 2 - Fort William (SCO) vs Koln (GER)

A club record 9,094 fans came to Dingwall, 2 hours away from Fort William to see history in the making as Fort William just had to avoid a heavy defeat to carry on the Cinderella run in the Euro Cup. With a full house and a team full of confidence, can Fort William come away with another victory?

Goal 1 - Talk about turning defense into attack in one swift movement. Tom Pyper got the ball from a cleared header and without even looking up, thundered the ball deep to Ian Bowden. He controlled it on his check, ran at the defenders before slotting the ball across to Kevin Wilson who continued his run into the box and slid the ball under the keeper for the first goal of the game on 28 minutes. Fort William would not be for catching now.

RNBATA8.png CciOMyO.png

Goal 2 - It would be a thunderbolt from Tom Pyper which would ignite the capacity crowd as an Ian Bowden cross was deflected out to the edge of the box where on the volley, Pyper unleashed the left footed shot past the keeper who didn't move. What a strike to put the game away in the 51st minute.

laps4tp.png TJjvvMK.png

Goal 3 - Just like last week, young striker Kane Inglis came on for the final 30 minutes and once again he found himself with a European goal to his name. Another fine assist from Scott Mellon saw Inglis take the ball in his chest and smash home from short range, Koln players once again looking lost as Fort William secured their biggest win in club history, and more importantly the Euro adventure carries on.

r4naFh8.png 0Nhqonn.png

Other results in Euro Cup

9X93h1Y.png

Scottish Teams are down from 4 to 2 as League Champions Rangers gave Molde a 2-0 lead. Despite levelling the game late on, they would go out on away goals in a match that they should have won. Hibs join Fort Williams in the next round as they overcame a stubborn Romanian side Viitorul 3-1 to win 6-4 on aggregate. Hibs were torn to bits away fromhome as Valencia won 5-1 to go through easily in the end 5-3. South of the border English teams went one better with 3 from 4 teams winning with only Leicester falling to Porto.

g5jhina.png

Euro Second Round Draw 

I guess this report wouldn't be worth finishing without the next leg info, which was drawn straight after the games. Honestly, with the teams that were left I thought this might be our limits, but I think the draw has been very kind and this could be another very winnable tie after avoiding some of the big teams left in the competition. Whatever happens now, I have far, far, far exceeded all expectations this year!

sy4SVUZ.png

UJqb4iO.png

Stadium Upgraded - At Last

YaoFaoj.png

Euro Cup - 2nd Knockout Round - Leg 1 - Fort William (SCO) vs Bursaspor (TUR)

Yikes.... here we go again. Another game in Europe, another underdog story. First leg at home so a good chance to get the lead and maybe set some records along the way. How crazy is that? Still sad Kevin Wilson won't join us full time, but for now we haven't got the wage budget for him.

d1eu3BS.png

Goal - Fort William 1 - 0 Bursaspor - With just 11 minutes gone, Fort William after being on the back foot would take the lead from long time player, Reece Lyon. He joined in 2021 when Fort William were in League 1 and has been a huge part of the teams success. Ian Johnson was once again involved as his ball out wide surprised the Bursaspor defense with Scott Mellon driving to the baseline before his cross found Lyon to power the header home and send the home fans into a frenzy.

0Z3FwTx.png tmjnrbx.png

Goal - Fort William 1 - 1 Bursaspor - With what may be the assist of the season, Bursaspor were back level in the 27th minute. A clearance from Scott McCluskey didn't get far and Sahin produced a moment of pure joy as his overhead kick found Kanatsizkus as he rose above two defenders to head the ball into the back of the net and it was all square and with everthing to play for with Bursaspor looking the most threatening. 

oEiImVy.png Cjv9EEW.png

Goal - Fort William 2 - 1 Bursaspor - With both teams pressing for the lead, it was a defensive mistake that saw the home side take the lead again with Lyon involved again. With a telling pass into the box towards Ian Bowden, a sliding challenge saw the ball won but went all the way across the goal and wing-back Scott Mellon saw his opportunity with most of the goal open, he slotted home his first ever Fort William goal on the 38th minute.

UKkLrLB.png l03ZTLM.png

Goal - Fort William 3 - 1 Bursaspor - With Fort William moving to a counter attacking 3-5-2 rather than attacking to try and see out the game with the advantage, it would be Kane Inglis for the 3rd game in a row scoring late on in the game, not bad for a 17 year old. Once again, player of the game Reece Lyon had a huge part to play as it was he superb pass from 30 yards out that set Inglis up to put the game to bed and set Fort William up nicely for the away leg with the 86th minute goal.

k7KUWAC.png jxTq5aJ.png

Fort William, the plucky Highland team were once again punching above their weight and head to Turkey with a two goal cushion, but with Bursaspor with the away goal, nothing is safe as the tie could change instantly if The Fort get caught napping.

The biggest issue that William Murray and his squad had now was the ridiculous fixture schedule that may cost League position.... With 2 games sandwiched in between the two Thursday Euro fixtures, this is going to stretch the team to the limits.

Db59Rg6.png 

Other Euro Cup Matches

VKGFxYQ.png

Euro Cup - 2nd Knockout Round - Leg 2 - Bursaspor (TUR) vs Fort William (SCO)

Here it is ladies and gentlemen, despite 4 games in 8 days we almost had a full strength squad with players rested in the week. It looks like we are most of the way there but that away goal always gives them an edge if they get back into it at 1-0 here. Let's get this game started....

Goal 29th Minute - Bursaspor 1 - 0 (2-3 agg) Fort William - That man again, Kanatsizkus with his second goal in the tie with only 29 minutes gone certainly put the pressure on Fort William. A deep ball and a pinpoint cross from Berkay saw Kanatsizkus split the defenders and with the free header, put the home crowd in a fine mood as they were back in the game. With 60 minutes to go, all the pressure was now on Fort William as one more goal for the home side and they go through on away goals.

CXjZCA4.png HuxbzHF.png

Goal 79th Minute - Bursaspor 2 - 0 (3-3 agg) Fort William - With what looked like an extremely soft penalty from the Romanian ref, Scott McCluskey was deemed to have pushed his man in the area and that set up a penalty in the 79th minute, disaster for Fort William. Keeper Eddie Riley looked like he got in position to make the save but the ball somehow squeezed past him and left back Emre Tasdemir had turned the whole game on it's head and with 11 minutes to go, Fort William are going home and heading out of the competition on away goals, something I had feared from the start.

L4IQwTD.png

Red Card 86th Minute - Fort William - Stuart McLaughlin - What can you say, last 5 minutes of the biggest game of the clubs history and the manager telling players to put caution to the wind, a rash tackle from one of the lesser used members of the squad saw him take out his many from behind for the straight red right in front of the ref. There was no denying, it was a terrible challenge and no-one can have any complaints.

BGmgslB.png

Balls, balls, balls!!! 5 minutes to go, down to 10 men away from home and losing on the away goals rule, the European dream looks over in what has been such an amazing virgin campaign! 

On 21/08/2018 at 09:26, metallimuse said:

What is going on?!?!?

You are storming it bro! I was not expecting this European run and the results to boot.

Third season and you are now top three in the league and challenging as well, very impressive.

I'm 5 years in the SPFL with Airdrie and a top 6 club but not challenging top two who are Falkirk and Hearts these days who are just RAMPANT.

I spy a domestic big boy cup around the corner in your future, as good as the Irn Bru success a domestic cup will really push on your club's reputation making it easier to attract players.

Keep going bro. It's what, less than 9 weeks now until FM19 BETA? Wonder if you can get a treble/quad?

Absolutely no idea, never expected things to be going this well. This Euro run is way above all expectations and bodes well for the future. Still think it could take a while to win the League if we are playing extra games and with an all Scottish squad when Rangers/Celtic have virtually none!

Falkirk have been poor in this save, spent most the time in the Championship!

Euro Cup - 2nd Knockout Round - Leg 2 - Bursaspor (TUR) vs Fort William (SCO) (Continued) 

Well, I left a little cliffhanger yesterday, with 5 minutes to go, going out on away goals and now down to 10 men, it really was not looking great. 

RsCfTO4.png a37qXZa.png

TyKsvrG.png MxJnbOQ.png

WOW, WOW, WOW!!! 90th minute and a hopeful ball long by Reece Lyon is controlled by Ian Bowden, drives his way into the box and finishes beautifully past the keeper! Fort William had to survive injury time and all of a sudden, they were going through! Bursaspor hit the post as my heart almost sank but the final whistle went and Fort William somehow are through!!!!

Editor note: I don't usually go crazy, but man that was enjoyable when that went in!!!!! What a game.

Z2mJs5J.png

And the rest of the games look like this. But in all fairness, Fort William are in the Quarter Finals but I'll be honest, doesn't look many beatable teams left....

BZ4xfOE.png 

4 minutes ago, Clarky323 said:

Wow what a result! How have you managed this lol, great work mate :thup:

I literally jumped up off the sofa when that goal went in, absolute scenes!!! I actually have no idea how the team is doing it, but its been a magical run!

2 minutes ago, fabreth said:

YES! And now you'll get Molde :D

Cracking result! Oh I wish, they would be the team I would pick if I had a choice as I think they could be the only team left we could beat, but we surely can't get that lucky? Or can we......

Euro Cup - Quarter Final Draw

Please me Molde, please be Molde was what I wanted. Valencia might have been the next choice, but that dream was dashed when those two were drawn against each other in the first match! Balls, looks like a really tough game ahead for us.....

j8Wpykv.png

Rest of the games look like this.

x50zhTW.png

For the Record my guess is Valencia, Tottenham, Roma and Leverkusen (Yes it's bad I picked agaisnt my team but I feel any of these would probably beat me over two legs)

Euro Cup - Quarter Final - Fort William (SCO) vs Leverkusen (GER)

For the second time in the competition, Fort William faced German opposition. With the first leg being in Scotland, it would be key to get off to a good start to give The Fort any chance to progress to an unlikely Semi-Final place.

Leg 1 - Fort William 2 - 4 Leverkusen

It would be a tough start for The Fort as two goals in 3 minutes put the away side on top, and to be fair, they looked the better team. It was an unfortunate deflection that saw a harmless shot turned past Eddie Riley and all of the a sudden it was 0-3 before the half and the Euro dream looked to be crashing down in the first leg. Fort William would get back into the game with an Ian Bowden strike just after the half but within 4 minutes Leverkusen had once again gone 3 in front. A late Kane Inglis goal capped off another good performance from the 17 year old, but with 4 away goals and dominating the game, Fort William may struggle to do the impossiible.

to6fnCU.png           qvuuuWR.png

Leg 2 - Leverkusen 3 - 1 (7-3 agg) Fort William

If the task was hard before the game, it got much harder when Fort William found themselves 2-0 down within 20 minutes. Once again, the German side just looked a level better than The Fort and the difference in finishing was shown as Leverkusen were clinical. Once again Fort William would come out fighting after the half as Ian Bowden scored his 20th goal in 18 Euro matches to bring a chance to get something from the game, if not from the two legs. That would only last a few minutes again as Leverkusen went 3-1 up and that was that. 7-3 loss, but Fort William left the game after an historic European run that showcased the highland club throughout Europe.  

The dream is over, but what a run we had! Can hand on heart say that was pretty awesome and enjoyed the Euro run. Now, to concentrate on the League and a Scottish Cup Semi-Final where we face Aberdeen with a potential final against Rangers to play. Rangers also stand in the way of a top 2 finish, plenty still to play for!

ArrxsM2.png

Scottish Cup Final - Fort William vs Rangers

bxCq4qM.png

If the Euro run was special, landing Fort Williams first major trophy might just be what the doctor ordered. All that stands in the way is Rangers, last years Premiership Champions who are looking for their first Scottish Cup since 2008/09, with 2 final defeats since then. Fort William's best result so far was a semi final appearance against todays opponents in 2022/2023. All to play for and this could go either way.

Goal 9th Minute - Fort William 0 - 1 Rangers

It would be Rangers who would open the scoring on the 9th minute when The Fort had several opportunities to clear the ball out the box. However, that never happened and that allowed Francois Durand to whip the cross in as striker Franjo Crnkovic headed the ball in as he escaped the defenders at the front post.

X86QQOr.png LTYDED8.png

Goal 25th Minute - Fort William 1 - 1 Rangers

It was not long until the game was tied as Fort William made it a game. John Ellis would, as he often did whip the ball in from the left, striker Ian Bowden got the nod down to Scott Mellon and with a thunderous shot, got the most fortunate deflection off the defender and with the keeper rooted to the spot, was helpless as the ball went past him.

Cmzkutm.png moB6rHn.png

Goal 36th Minute - Fort William 2 - 1 Rangers

The game swung back on it's head as Fort William came from behind to lead before the half. Ian Bowden, often the scorer was creator for the second today as he pulled his man out wide, floated the cross in and somehow Rangers left Kevin Wilson all alone, and he doesn't miss headers from there.

WD3dm0j.png 3wMTx8a.png

Red Card 55th Minute - Rangers David Walker

Well, any chance of the comeback may have vanished with 35 minutes to go when midfielder David Walker saw a straight red for a terrible foul on Tom Pyper.

dMTNvWS.png

After that, Rangers struggled to get shot's on the Fort William goal, but there was no killing off the game and tension was there right until the final whistle. But as time ran out, there was only one thing to do......

0Favu0Z.png

Scottish Cup Champions 2027/28 - Fort William - Stats / Post Match

H6tFjzt.png

Oh, and these little beauts really help the bank balance for Semi-Final and Final appearances...

ikE1vEr.png  V1QHz2P.png

Fort William 2027/28 - Season 11 Review - Scottish Premiership - 2nd

Related image

Table / Fixtures 1 / Fixtures 2 / Scottish Cup / Euro Cup / Best 11 / Overall 11/ Stats / Transfers / Commercial

rIU8xC9.png

Where do we even start to begin with this season? Our maiden European campaign was a huge success, expanding the Fort William name across Europe. Our first major title came with a Scottish Cup success and I really neglected the League in updates, but I thought I would save the League update for this update.

Scottish Premier League - 2nd (Champions League Qualification)

Celtic ran away with the title as their early exit from Europe meant they pulled away to win by 21 points. Fort William were 2nd for a long time, but fixture backlogs and Euro Cup games saw the squad being tested and often a whole new starting 11 in the league to cup. With that, once Rangers went out of Europe they passed Fort William for second spot and looked to have sealed 2nd spot. A loss to Falkirk and Hibs earning a draw in the penultimate game saw them only 1 point ahead of Fort William, but with Celtic to play. Fort William had Hibs which gave Fort William the edge.

RMSaVQr.png

That turned out to be the case, as Celtic scored early on and despite a scare, and a Hobs disallowed goal to make it 2-2, Fort William ran out 3-1 winners and secured that 2nd place finish. More importantly, that means Fort William will be in the Champions League next season, welcome to the elite of Europeon football. 

Euro Cup - Quater Finals

xjYUJl6.png

Most of the games had full write-ups and goal photos and you have lived it with me. We far exceeded all expectations and got to the quarter final. One saving grace may be that we lost to Leverkusen, the eventual Champions! What a season and now the team (and 11 travelling fans) have a taste we shall want more! We did set some records too...

z6xbvav.png 

r0nkYWE.png

Scottish Cup - Champions

We have won the Irn-Bru cup a few times but this is the big one, our first major trophy! Some may say it's not a true victory as we didn't beat Celtic, but we took down the mighty Rangers in the final, and that is good enough for me!

w0BrP8A.png

Squad

f6MvejP.pngcaExjrg.png

Ian Bowden is a star, and i still can't believe we got him for £20,000! He is at the centre of everything we do and scores goals for fun. His striker partner for the season Kevin Wilson was on loan from Celtic, we had a £1,000,000 bid for him but he wanted too much to join and with Kane Inglis doing well, that will probably be the starters next year.

With all non-Scottish players (loans) returning to their clubs, Fort William will be an all Scottish club for the next season! We need to bring in some players at the back and to sure up the midfield. I'm not sure we shall find a better Scottish keeper so Eddie Riley may get another few seasons.

Finanaces

Wow, those cup semi-final and final gate receipts are impressive. Add that to the Euro run and we are looking secure in the bank, despite the directors taking out nearly £5,000,000 in dividends!!

EcLPZJB.png

7 hours ago, Benjoe said:

Massive season!

Who'd you say are your top 3 players? (with screenshots please :D)

And any interesting guys from own academy?

0, yes 0 players from my academy! No-one even close, and it's hard to get the board to agree to upgrade the youth and training facilities! They still think we are a small club and the poor facilities we have is good enough. I want to one day get players coming through the academy to play for me.

Top 3 players are as below. Bowden still the bargain of the century at £20,000!!

v5Tzeez.png

hyLGkEo.png

s8TVrDD.png

cSOXouG.png

rvSedxM.png

QRbQgEf.png

Fort William 2028/29 - Season 12 Preview - Scottish Premiership - Predicted 6th

Related image

Season Preview / Transfers

Despite our European heroics and 2nd place finish, obviously our squad is still playing above it's ability as we are only predicted to finish 6th. Once again, our aim is to push Celtic and Rangers for a top 3 finish, but winning the Ladbrokes Premiership may still be a couple of seasons away if we want to go deep again in Europe. The money is Europe, so doing well there is currently the #1 focus, but a league title would be a massive bonus.

Facilities

ujBTZa9.png

Well, our ground was "expanded" to 3,411 at a huge cost of £1,800,000 but still remains the smallest in the League and too small for Europe. So, I asked to build a new stadium which was declined due to fear's we could not fill it, so I had to settle for another expansion!

W0M3WDQ.png

We finally managed to get the youth facilities upgraded but they are still far below the level they need to be. We have not produced 1 player capable to play in our squad so have had to buy all our players, something I wish to change. It won't happen for many season's but we have had our second request to upgrade the facilities granted, but another season long wait. It will be straight to asking for another upgrade once that is done now we have money in the bank.

Jj7oHfJ.png

Champions League - The big time

Can you believe little old Fort William are in the Champions League? Well, ok we are not quite there and face some tough opposition to even get to the group stages! Stupidly I said getting to the group stages was the minimum aim, I didn't know teams like the below were in the way!

fWgnmtE.png

Spartak Moscow are our first opposition, which will be another tough trip to Russia. We shall be the underdogs but that doesn't worry our band of Scottish Warriors! Safe in the knowledge that we qualify for the Euro Cup if we lose, we can just go out and play football and see what upsets we can pull off!

Squad - All Scottish Players

Not many chances from last year but we are 100% all Scottish and will be for several season's as i want to see how far we can go with homegrown talent as it's too easy to find good and cheap foreign lads. Reece Lyon took over the most league appearances last year but asked to leave this year as he had "achieved all he wanted to do with the club". He request was granted as he was only a fringe player, but one that has been hugely important for us over the last few seasons. Tom Pyper is a £1,200,000 buy from Hibs after a season long loan last year did enough to make me pull the trigger on him to sure up that midfield. Ian Bowden and £1,400,000 signing from last year Kane Inglis look to be our starting strikers, but we brought in James Flemming on a free to give us extra options up front. With several free agents coming in, spend has totaled £1,900,000 with very little return, but with low wages compared to the rest of the league and the Euro run, we still have plenty to spend if we need to.

A little light on central defenders and central midfielders with the fixture list we shall get, may need to bring a couple more in for cover in the next window.

wEuKw8l.pngAxtkrtR.png

Expectations

For me, I think if we could get to the Champions League group stages and maybe come third (to drop down to the Euro Cup for another run at that), would be a huge success. In the League, top 3 is where I'm aiming at again and if we can go deep in the Scottish Cup, that is a huge bonus!

Champions League - Third Qualifying Phase Round Up

YSKbANQ.png

Well, that was a turn up for the books. A massive 6-1 home win over Sparktak Moscow saw us easily through to the Play-off's where the winner goes through to the Group stages. All that stood in the way was Portuguese side, Sporting. This was not going to be easy.

The away leg they battered us, absolutely tore us to pieces with what seemed hundreds of shots, but they struggled to kill the game off after that first goal. About the only real chance we had was a frantic counter attack which left us 4 on 2, but a stray pass seemed to have killed momentum until Tom Pyper somehow got his head onto the cross to get that all important away goal. I really don't know how we survived, but to get a 1-1 draw was an out of this world result.

pIxzCC3.png          G9gKTBp.png

The home leg was a much more even game with both sides giving a good account. A brace from sensation Kane inglis either side of Sporting's goal turned out to be enough but it was squeeky bum time as one more goal for Sporting would have put them through on the away goal rule. James Flemming eased them fears with an injury time winner to make sure Fort William were adding more history to the club, the first time to the Champions League Group stage. This really is big boy football!!

And with big boy fotball, come big boy money! WOW!!

6nRp1U4.png

But all that really mattered was, who would we get? Would we get a chance of escaping the group or would it be a Group of Doom?

fAP902Q.png 

Champions League - Group H midday update

vs Porto / vs Hoffenheim / vs Monaco

Once again this is extremely unexpected. I had hoped for 3 points from 3 games (1 win vs Hoffenheim) was my prediction as I thought Porto and especially Monaco would be too much for my young Scottish side. I guess they just like playing in Europe!

bNAmWuG.png  NloJYWx.png  H4lfjUB.png

vs Porto - We were unlucky to only get a point from this game. We played really well, as we tend to do at home and missed some opportunities to win the game. But, at this point in the first game, a point against a strong team at home is a must. A great start and we looked promising.

at Hoffenheim - When the scored after 6 minutes I thought we had underestimated them big time. But after that, everything went our way and it was a demolition job, especially on the road. 3 goals in the first half and 5 by the end of the game, what a glorious game for us!

at Monaco - They battered us, absolutely destroyed us all game. 24 shots and 64% possession and they should have won by 4 or 5, and probably would on another evening. I guess their problem was only 6 were on target and that really cost them. We had 2, yes 2 shots all game and only 1 on target, but that 1 hit the back of the net. And that, I guess is football. We didn't deserve it, I still can't actually quite believe it but somehow the most one sided game I have played, we came away with 3 points.

P3LPBHh.png

WqpBoKL.png

Group Standings

9PNYot0.png

Fort William fans must be dreaming!! Top of the table and 1 more win might just do it, and two home games to do it! If you're not excited by this, you might need to check your pulse!

P.S - I still can't believe that Monaco result, just crazy!

On 23/08/2018 at 20:18, fabreth said:

Great season!

Scotland starts the game outside the top 20.. now up to the 7th place, how are the prize money, sponsorship and tv money?

You still have a small attendance.. well ok there's no space in your little stadium :D

I didn't realise they started that low, every year just keep climbing. Think 1 more step is possible then its the real big boys! Prize money not great, 2-3 million in Prem for a top 6 finish and very little TV money. It's all about Euro money in Scotland, oh and Scottish Cup if reach semi final or final then thats good money.

My stadium is epic!! But yes, I think we would struggle to fill much more apart from the big games, but need to try and get it to 10,000 soon, but I think that will require a new stadium!

On 23/08/2018 at 22:46, Nobby_McDonald said:

Excellent season.

Thank you, was a pretty decent one all in all!

4 hours ago, Dev'o said:

Unbelievable save, keep it up!

Just taking it one game at a time and we keep on doing well!

Champions League - Group H Matches 4 & 5

Well, we came crashing back to earth with two heavy losses, pretty much what i had expected the first time around. Proves we are only human and have to play above ourselves every single game at this level to get a result. Still, it's all to play for and I'll be honest, I like our chances of beating Hoffenheim more than Porto's chances to beat Monaco!

P3w6FRN.png     XyRAz0R.png

This leaves the group looking like the below....

kP3C7e5.png

Champions League - Group H - Game 6 All or Nothing

Confidence was high after the 5-1 away victory over Hoffenheim and that victory on Scottish soil could also be achieved. The time for talk was done, the time for action was now. In the end, it was fairly comfortable and Fort William had exceeded all expectations. 

Fort William (SCO) 3 - 1 Hoffenheim (GER)

vF1lMuU.png

3DiKE8r.png

N3whRsN.png

BsxwDmy.png

3-1 to the good guys and Fort William had secured 2nd spot as Monaco did what was required beating Porto 2-0.

TFs9UJU.png

In other news, despite losing their first game Celtic played some brilliant football in a very tough group and came away top of the group!

vhhQEIs.png

Now we just wait to see who we draw in the next round!

League Update - December 2028

Most the updates are about Europe, but we are still focused on trying to win that first Premiership title. A really slow start put us nearly 10 points behind Celtic and once again, they are leading the table but we have climbed up the table into 2nd. We had the chance to go top when we played Celtic but a 0-2 result just extended their lead. Plenty of games left to play, but once again it may be hard to see anyone top Celtic!

Cd7nYiR.png

Champions League - 1st Knockout Round - Fort William (SCO) vs Barcelona (SPA)

Leg 1 Stats / Leg 2 Stats

I'll be honest, this should be a massive write up but even 24 hours after playing that second leg, I am hurt. After scoring at the Nou Camp inside 60 seconds, we were in prime position to get something from the second leg. The Barcelona team was much better, but a game a couple of days before had left the starting lineup looking tired as they came into the game. They obviously got back in the game but a disallowed goal from Kane Inglis may have made all the difference and changed the game if that had stood. Even at 2-1 down, Ian Bowden had a one on one with the Barcelona keeper and like he has done many times before, all he had to do was hit the back of the net and Fort William go through on away goals. All he could do was hit it tamely at the keeper, such a let down but Barcelona came away lucky to win the game and the tie.

cZMYhQq.png          aQnZfRP.png

Scottish Cup - Semi Final - Fort William vs Hearts

With Fort William out of Europe and Celtic more than 10 points clear in the League, the Scottish Cup looks the most likely way for Fort William to win some silverware this season. And this year, if they win, no-on can say they only won it because they didn't have to play Celtic as The Fort dispatched them in the last round.

kSddRpW.png

For today Hearts were the opposition and with a bumper payday already happening for reaching the Semi-Final, The Fort had idea's to win the competition for the second straight year and try to keep all it's budding stars happy.

Goal 1 - 53rd minute - Fort William 1 - 0 Hearts - A blistering strike from central defender Allan Stuart from the corner put The Fort up.

TOtwwDO.png

Goal 2 - 68th minute - Fort William 2 - 0 Hearts - A beautiful pass from John Ellis allowed Kane Inglis space to run in and slot home from a very tight angle.

7r4jiIZ.png

Goal 3 - 91st minute - Fort William 3 - 0 Hearts - Fraser Patterson with the lob and Kane Inglis ran past his man to finish off the game in style for Fort William

w2qn5wC.png

Scottish Cup Final

Aberdeen would face Rangers in the other semi-final and it would be an early goal from Andrew Finlayson that would separate the two teams. Aberdeen last won the competition in 1990 and last played in the Final in 2017 when the lost to Celtic. In what should be a great game, Fort William should be favorites given their league position to win back-to-back Scottish Cup's, but with Euro Cup qualification for the winner, Aberdeen will have their eyes on that prize!

1PIshrJ.png

Scottish Cup Final - Fort William vs Aberdeen

It all comes down to this! Fort William are chasing their second Scottish Cup in a row and Aberdeen have not won since 1990 and want to use this as their way into Europe. It should be one for The Fort to win, but in a game like this, form can often be thrown out the window!

First Half 

5:16 - John Ellis took a knock on his ankle and it's heartbreak for the left wingback who needs to head off the pitch, replaced by Allan McKenzie in a like for like swap.

15:29 - Allan McKenzie whips a dangerous ball into the box from the left wing, Ian Bowden with a free header from 4 yards out, only pings it off the bar and Aberdeen clear. He really should be burying that in the back of the net!

25:29 - Tom Pyper with the well timed interception plays the ball to Kane Inglis who plays a brilliant ball to Ian Bowden as his splits the central defenders. Running in on goal he puts it wide from the edge of the box, another big chance goes begging for Fort William in a game with few chances so far.

30:30 - Aberdeen defender Ralston plays a dangerous backpass which the keeper plays right to Ian Bowden. He plays a pass to a wide open Kane Inglis in the box and with all the time in the world from 8 yards out hits it straight at the keeper, much to the groans of the Fort William fans. How did he miss that??

33:35 - Aberdeen put the ball in the back of the net, but the ball had already gone for offside. A let-off for Fort William who need to make chances pay soon!

Half Time - Fort William 0 - 0 Aberdeen

PuNKh0m.png

Second Half

48:46 - Fort William start the strongest and a well won ball on by-line saw Kane Inglis all alone in the box. Ian Bowden's cross was too high to get good contact as the header falls straight to the keeper. Another glorious chance goes begging for Fort William.

66:46 - Aberdeen manage only their 3rd shot of the game, a tame effort from a free kick from Jensen which doesn't trouble the keeper.

70:45 - Kan Inglis plays a wonderful ball to set Ian Bowden through once more. And again, he blasts it wide and William Murray has seen enough as he pulls Bowden off, replaced by James Fleming. Bowden could have had a hat-trick, will his missed come back to haunt Fort William?

75:12 - That was Aberdeens chance. Fort William messed around and lost the ball in midfield, a deep pass saw Wilson (Yes, that Kevin Wilson who scored a ton for Fort William last year) running in on goal but as the theme of the day is, blasted it over the bar. 

82:30 - Aberdeen fire the fire kick just over the bar. They haven't created much but have had a few dangerous free kicks.

86:46 - Mellon plays a wonderful long ball to Inglis down the right, he crossed the ball in by McKenzie cannot get much on it at the back post.

Full Time - Fort William 0 - 0 Aberdeen

gOekk3o.png

Extra Time

102:22 - Aberdeen sub Fotheringham se's his free-kick just bend around the post. One of these times, one will hit the back of the net! 

107:01 - Nothing is going right today. Fort WIlliam have a 3 on 2 fast break and end up running into each other, You cannot write this!

109:01 - Scott Mellon decides to shoot rather than pass and his schot cannons off the cross-bar from 20 yards, it was a cracking effort.

Full Time- Fort William 0 - 0 Aberdeen

1uc3PfS.png

And we are off to Penalties.....

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 2

Striker Kane Inglis had a poor game but kept his head to put the ball where no keeper was going to get it! Great penalty.

oHwZJQf.png

Anthony Ralston tried to trick the keeper, puts it down the middle and Gordon Paton gets a big hand to it to push it out!! (looks like it is in here, but hit him and went out)

wKSVgyd.png

Fort William 2 - 1 Aberdeen - Gordon Paton helps give Fort William the advantage with the save!

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 3

Dylan Monaghan may have only come on as a sub, but this penalty to the bottom corner really turned the pressure on Aberdeen.

NhFHfuu.png

Another sub, this time Fotheringham once again just put the ball out of reach for Gordon Paton and the pressure penalty goes in!

tTHp6ks.png

Fort William 3 - 2 Aberdeen - Advantage still to Fort William as they go to the 4th round 3-2 up and looking good value for the win.

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 4

Midfielder Tom Pyper stepped up confidently, but a tame penalty is easily saved by Omri Glaser!

e3jDcwT.png

Aberdeen could get back in the game here and it was former Fort William player (on loan) Kevin Wilson stepping up. The striker looked odds-on to score but an heroic diving save by Gordon Paton keeps Fort William with the advantage.

FVhgfk1.png

Fort William 3 - 2 Aberdeen - It may only need one more penalty, if Gordon Murdoch scores the next, Fort William will lift the cup! No pressure on the 22 year old.

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 5

It was his time, everything was there for Gordon Murdoch to become a Fort William legend. The bit part player stepped up, all he had to do was hit the back of the net. Would you believe it, he hit it straight down the middle and Omri Glaser tipped it over the bar! Just when Fort William fans thought they had won the Scottish Cup!

8G66Eho.png

Aberdeen could still lose this, and it was down to Brazilian Jose who had to score. Once again, Gordon Paton got close but the inch perfect penalty found the bottom corner and after 5 penalties, and Fort William missing the chance to end it, it's all square!

PTscSWP.png

Fort William 3 - 3 Aberdeen - Will that crush The Fort mentally or can they recover to win this?

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 6

You can not write this! From 3-1 up and taking the game winning penalty to missing 3 in a row and now look to be going home empty handed! Wing back Allan McKenzie with another poor penalty and made it easy for the keeper. What a dreadful few minutes for The Fort.

DK6T8iD.png

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 6 - Part 2

The time was now, Fort William players and fan's now needing a miracle. The papers might call it a choke job, but least there was not just one player to look at with 3 penalties missed in a row and now Henry Godwin stepped up ready to win the Scottish cup.

He ran up, and hitting the ball sweetly, it looked like it was heading in the bottom corner! Somehow Fort William keeper Gordon Paton got over and made the highlight save! Paton had done it, Fort William were still in it thank's to their keeper and his 3 penalty saves!

eV0njON.png

Fort William 3 - 3 Aberdeen - I really don't know anymore! This is a wild shoot-out!

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 7

After 3 dreadful penalties, it was time to put the pressure back on Aberdeen as Scott Mellon made no mistake and Fort William were once again one penalty away from victory.

6o0YIqR.png

And just like that, Mitchell put's the ball in the back of the net and we are starting to run out of players to take kicks!

A6GogLF.png

Fort William 4 - 4 Aberdeen - Soon be Keepers and Managers (wouldn't that be fun) stepping up!

Scottish Cup Final - Penalty Shootout - Round 8

Who doesn't like to see the keeper step up and take a penalty? Gordon Paton stepped up and the Scottish National Team Keeper didn't seem to be phased as he probably scored the best penalty of the game. No rest for the wicked as he simply walked into the goal, ready to face the next penalty.

YqfAbcZ.png

Jason Lappin, who turned down a contract from Fort William may be regretting that decision with The Fort in Europe and Aberdeen struggling to get into the top 6! He will be regretting the decision even more when Gordon Paton became the hero of the day with his 4th penalty save, diving to his left and just like that, Paton was the double hero!!!

eydrBg3.png

Fort William 5 - 4 Aberdeen - Take a bow Gordon Paton, 4 saves from the keeper has won the Scottish Cup for Fort WIlliam!!

TuGFpSb.png

Back-to-back for the Highland Club! 

GZCFZO3.png

ik0JGZr.png

Fort William 2028/29 - Season 12 Review - Scottish Premiership - 2nd

Related image

Table / Fixtures 1 / Fixtures 2 / Scottish Cup / Champions League / Best 11 / Overall 11/ Stats / Transfers / Commercial / Facilities

3cj2Tem.png

Champions League

Another hugely successful season with a Champions League campaign that far outweighed our status, highlighted by our biggest over-achievers in the Champions League Review. AS Monaco would beat Barcelona in the final 2-1, both these teams Fort William made to work hard to beat them which shows the progress the team is making. Another time, Fort William beat Barcelona and then, who knows. Once again, Europe was kind to us, and really helped us in the finance department which is key for us to grow. Celtic would get to the semi-final before also losing to Barcelona 3-1 on aggregate. 

85OXV19.png

Ladrokes Premiership

The Ladbrokes Premiership was a similar outcome to last year with a slow start causing issues and with the Euro fixtures added in there, Fort William just did not have the depth to maintain top form on both fronts. It may not sound much, but Fort William took 10 points out of Celtics dominance this season, only behind 11 points compared to 21 last season. Behind Fort William, Rangers have really struggled to keep up with the form that saw them win the league in 2026/27.

GKZb1x2.png

Scottish Cup - The Double

Once again the highlight of the season was a Scottish Cup success for Fort William. Despite breezing to the final with 8 goals and 0 conceded in 4 games, it would need heroics from January signing from Hibs, keeper Gordon Paton to come up with 4 penalty saves (and 1 scored) to win the cup. Back to back Scottish Cup wins and a lovely kitty received from gate receipts in the semi-final and final.

eydrBg3.png

Facilities and Stadium

With huge paydays this year, i didn't even have to ask for upgrades! Our facilities are still miles behind the others and the fact we have had 0 youth players able to play for us in 12 seasons in a stat I do not like.

I think this might be the maximum and I will hopefully soon be able to ask to build a new stadium. If we want to compete on wages, we shall need more fans in! Sharing at Queens Park and their 55,000 seater will be nice, but empty! Hopefully we can fill it for Europe tho....

SYD6bLP.png

And any upgrades here is well needed! I'll be asking ti upgrade every time I can, I want state of the art youth facilities and to keep using only Scottish prospects, although it will be hard to win a title as Celtic is full of foreign talent!

7GkuPXW.png

Squad

Gd4VYpA.jpg

The bargain of the year may well be the £350,000 for Scottish Keeper Gordon Paton from Hibs! Ian Bowden had another huge season but has twice asked to move to a bigger club, and we may struggle to keep him here, but a 4 year contract helps that but not his happiness. He won the Premiership Golden boot with 24 league goals, a great achievement for the Scottish International.

£1,400,000 for a 16 year old for a 16 year old was a massive gamble, but Kane Inglis won fans player of the year and the Leagues Young Player of the Year as he chipped in with 32 goals in 43 games and will be a huge part of the puzzle next season. Allan Stuart takes over the record for most club appearances with 299 and looks to be part of the back 3 for many years to come. Tom Pyper was the big money signing this year at £1,200,000 and has looked the part all season long.

Finances

Wow, just wow! I don't plan to spend it but just keep investing, oh and probably paying wages to keep players who want to move to a "bigger" club.

vffTKlp.png

Story Progress

LrC0fCw.jpg

MSkZXwy.jpg

On 23/08/2018 at 18:12, theBlackPrince said:

0, yes 0 players from my academy! No-one even close, and it's hard to get the board to agree to upgrade the youth and training facilities! They still think we are a small club and the poor facilities we have is good enough. I want to one day get players coming through the academy to play for me.

Top 3 players are as below. Bowden still the bargain of the century at £20,000!!

v5Tzeez.png

hyLGkEo.png

s8TVrDD.png

cSOXouG.png

rvSedxM.png

QRbQgEf.png

Wh-where... *eye twitch* where is the hexagon!?!?! 

But solid players! Great Bowden was a massive steal and Stuart is a quality defender too!

Fraser must be doing some kind of playmaker duty for you?

22 hours ago, theBlackPrince said:

Champions League - 1st Knockout Round - Fort William (SCO) vs Barcelona (SPA)

Leg 1 Stats / Leg 2 Stats

I'll be honest, this should be a massive write up but even 24 hours after playing that second leg, I am hurt. After scoring at the Nou Camp inside 60 seconds, we were in prime position to get something from the second leg. The Barcelona team was much better, but a game a couple of days before had left the starting lineup looking tired as they came into the game. They obviously got back in the game but a disallowed goal from Kane Inglis may have made all the difference and changed the game if that had stood. Even at 2-1 down, Ian Bowden had a one on one with the Barcelona keeper and like he has done many times before, all he had to do was hit the back of the net and Fort William go through on away goals. All he could do was hit it tamely at the keeper, such a let down but Barcelona came away lucky to win the game and the tie.

cZMYhQq.png          aQnZfRP.png

Pity! You got so close! Funny to see Vinicius Junior for Barca though.

And great follow up season! Getting there!

Archived