Quarterfinals: England V Sweden 15:00 BST BBC1

decapitated

MOTM was either Trippier, Hendo, Sterling or Pickford. 

To be honest, apart from Alli in the opening 40 minutes, everyone was absolute rock solid and superb.

That was one of the most complete England tournament performances of all time. 

• Replies 583
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Most folks in England already completely lost it, it comes across as if they are genuinely thinking they have a world class squad and play amazing football. On the other hand, everything is going right for them, they somehow get all the results they need and even the loss against Belgium worked in the favour. So why should they be negative? Perhaps this is indeed Englands tournament. 

And who said Croatia is going to win tonight? I woud not be so sure of that yet. Would be typical for this tournament if Russia would win. Then England is in the final for sure. Tunisia, Panama, Belgium (when already qualified), Colombia, Sweden, Russia. That has to be the easiest ticket to the final you'll ever going to get :D. But once there, everything is possible. 

Mate, no one (outside of a minority of fools) thinks that over here, we're just having fun and enjoying it:D 

Yeah we're all enjoying it but let's not kid ourselves, we've had every single slice of luck going. Just hope it doesn't run out before the tournaments finished. Nobody seriously thinks we're suddenly a great side.

24 minutes ago, Weezer said:

They've been doing that after every England goal in this tournament.

I've only really noticed it now, cos my stupid network provider doesn't know how to balance natural sound very well with the commentator streams

Such a composed performance. Took about 15 minutes or so to settle into it, but once we did we just controlled the game. Everything was at our pace and it was good to watch. Didn't rip them apart or anything but it was brilliant to see the players just seem to confident. There didn't seem to be any nerves that have affected teams of the past. Pickford, Maguire, Trippier, and Henderson were all very, very good. Sterling didn't score, but if you don't see at this point what he adds to the team there's really no point arguing now. The rest of the team did their jobs to nigh on perfection as well. I have no complaint about any player really. 

I don't care who we've "only" beat, we're in the semi final of the world cup against either Russia or Croatia. This is comfortably the most fun I've ever had following England.

13 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I wonder how neutrals watched that. Was probably really boring I guess? 

I loved it personally. 

It was up there with the dullest games so far. I mean if tonight's game is the exact same and Croatia win 2-0 I wouldn't expect any England fan would enjoy the game, big difference of course when it's your own country trying to get to the semi final of the WC!

14 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I loved it personally. 

Was very boring, mostly because there was little threat from Sweden you didn't need to push on.

I wouldn't have minded if you made the Swedish keeper work a little harder, other than the Sterling chance he didn't have much to do.

10 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Was very boring, mostly because there was little threat from Sweden you didn't need to push on.

I wouldn't have minded if you made the Swedish keeper work a little harder, other than the Sterling chance he didn't have much to do.

Yea, that's kind of what I thought. 

I honestly don't care. That was probably th me most comfortable knock out game we've ever played. Loved every minute. 

If that was any other teams in one of the other game, I'd probably be moaning about the quality of the game and how boring it was. 

Oh well :)

33 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I loved it personally. 

I actually literally fell asleep while watching it.

Did only just finish a 2 hr work appt tbf

had some mates over to watch it here and we went for lunch and a few beers after the game. Speechless. Can't believe we're in the semis. Regardless of what happens next, what an achievement for this squad. It's coming home lads. It might just be bloody well coming home.

28 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

He looks like Southgate from behind or when his eyes aren't clearly visible. Soon as you see the eyes you know. In that image it looks like he's got holes instead if eyes. :D

2 minutes ago, JDownie said:

He looks like Southgate from behind or when his eyes aren't clearly visible. Soon as you see the eyes you know. In that image it looks like he's got holes instead if eyes. :D

Needs to break his nose too :D

Just about finished crying into my Swedish meatballs. Another set piece goal... Another 90mins without Kane making a positive run beyond... 

Sweden had best move of the game. 

Over the 90mins England just about limped over the line... Yeah they were the better team... But it wasnt exciting or emphatic. Pickford had more saves to make than should be comfortable... Especially with Bobby Moore... I mean Maguire playing (did keown actually liken maguire to moore... Or had a i fallen into a day dream slumber and invent that) 

Thank God the Russia game is good... Two good goals so far. 

First half was a bit dull but that was a surprisingly professional performance, everyone working hard for the team and winning so many of the midfield battles to stop Sweden having any of the ball. Sure Sweden had chances but so did we, can't realistically ask for any more in a quarter.

Semi Finals. :cool:

First 20 minutes were a poor sloppy and we seemed a little bit nervous but we settled down after that and played very well. Alli was poor for the first half but had a better second half, the goal helped him of course, nobody really had a bad game. Alli the closest to one mind. 

Sterling made two really good runs in the game, first one he was off but he was more concerned with checking to see if he was onside or not than trying to score, just put the ball into the net and see what happens afterwards! Second chance he had, superb run, excellent first touch but typical Sterling in front of goal when playing for England. Just can't score. Other than that though he had a good game and never gave their defence a minutes peace. 

Pontus Kamark! Stefan Edberg! Hakan Mild! Ace of Base! Andres Celsius! Ingrid Bergman! Henrik Larsson! That blonde sort from The Bridge! Tomas Brolin! Abba! Can you hear me, Abba? Your boys took a hell of a beating!

14 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Pontus Kamark! Stefan Edberg! Hakan Mild! Ace of Base! Andres Celsius! Ingrid Bergman! Henrik Larsson! That blonde sort from The Bridge! Tomas Brolin! Abba! Can you hear me, Abba? Your boys took a hell of a beating!

Don't forget the Olsen twins.......

Who cares how exciting or dull the game was. I don't. It's all about the win.

We're in the semi final of a world cup for the first time since 1990 and I'm loving every minute of it. 

2 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Just about finished crying into my Swedish meatballs. Another set piece goal... Another 90mins without Kane making a positive run beyond... 

Over the 90mins England just about limped over the line... Yeah they were the better team... But it wasnt exciting or emphatic. Pickford had more saves to make than should be comfortable... Especially with Bobby Moore... I mean Maguire playing (did keown actually liken maguire to moore... Or had a i fallen into a day dream slumber and invent that) 

Great header by Maguire. Great cross by Lingard. Great movement by Alli.

6 hours ago, heavybassX said:

My MOTM was Henderson... literally controlled the midfield.

Literally the only person in midfield for England. Although tbf I did think Lingard played his best game of the tournament today.

Can only imagine how good Sterling would be with better decision making, give him the benefit of the doubt on a lot but there was at least 3 obvious passes he missed today that infuriated me. Still played well, mind.

Sweden looked more like the side people were arrogantly made them out to be, worst performance at the wrong moment. Will happily take them taking a day off though.

I don’t really care what happens now as I’m proud of them getting to the semis but I feel like it’s built up for Belgium or France to breeze past us in the final. Just enjoying the ride :) 

Belgium are playing under Martinez and France bottled the euro final. Croatia are well known bottlers as well. I'm not suggesting this is guaranteed and we can easily **** up in either the semi or the final if we get there, but **** me what a chance we have.

That was pretty comfortable although Pickford needed to be there a couple of times. I was a lot more relaxed for this than Colombia I think cause deep down I didn't think Sweden were much of a threat (OMG, typical English innit!!), I was more concerned about their defence and us breaking a team down.

Croatia coming off 2 penalty shoot outs and long games, let's just approach this next game the right way.

I thought Sterling was good, unfortunate a couple of times. That one where the keeper stopped him rounding him (well done, keeper btw), I do think Kane didn't give him a great option but Kane maybe was expecting that pass right away. There was another near the end where Sterling and Delph both left it for each other, I got a 'ffs' vibe from Sterling there but he's been fine, important player, he can get the ball up the pitch very quickly, despite his goals last season I don't think of him as a finisher at all though.

13 hours ago, darren1983 said:

Mate, no one (outside of a minority of fools) thinks that over here, we're just having fun and enjoying it:D 

Perfect response!

No one thinks we have a world class squad or are playing world class football, we've had world class squads before and been absolute gash but right now we're just having a great time!

No English fan would have been surprised at a group stage flop or a 2nd round penalty exit but this team have exceeded expectations regardless of the draw and it's an absolute joy, the last time England lifted me and probably the nation like this would've been Euro 96 and it's bloody amazing!

10 hours ago, Baptista_8 said:

What a win though! Strange to be that relaxed watching us. Need to be more clinical in the semi.

I was really relaxed too, I just felt Sweden were perfect for us and had been saying since before the Colombia game that if we beat Colombia which I thought was a really tough test that Sweden would be awaiting us and the only way we'd lose would be a 0-0 draw and penalty defeat. I just couldn't see them scoring against us with our 3 at the back and there style of play and once we went ahead I didn't feel they had a chance unless we switched off.

5 hours ago, ArsenalFan7 said:

Can only imagine how good Sterling would be with better decision making, give him the benefit of the doubt on a lot but there was at least 3 obvious passes he missed today that infuriated me. Still played well, mind.

Sweden looked more like the side people were arrogantly made them out to be, worst performance at the wrong moment. Will happily take them taking a day off though.

I don’t really care what happens now as I’m proud of them getting to the semis but I feel like it’s built up for Belgium or France to breeze past us in the final. Just enjoying the ride :) 

I think Sterling's decision making is what makes him such a threat for us, he has absolutely no idea what he is doing so how can the opposition?

I think Guardiola thinks for him and gives him proper instructions which is why he looks so much more composed now at City whereas Southgate will be less detailed and allows him to be more free, his speed is frightening too so that coupled with his unpredictability is a real nightmare for any defender and works better for us, there is just no chance of reading him or getting a good judgment from video analysis the way we use him, he just needs to sort out his composure in front of goal but I don't think it's a major issue as we don't have another player who'd get into those position tbf.

I have a feeling if it's written and we get to the final it will be Belgium awaiting us and if it is we'll somehow get the better of them, even if we lose to Croatia though I'm super proud as well, it just feels fantastic to have exceeded expectations for once rather than limping out on the back of dour performances or being the better team and falling to another early shootout loss.

"It's coming home, it's coming, footballs coming home" :cool:

11 hours ago, daylight said:

Don't forget the Olsen twins.......

You mean the Olsen 'twin'. There's actually just one of them running back and forth very quickly to give the illusion of being two people ;)

12 hours ago, westy8chimp said:

Kane doesnt do alot, but what he does do it make the opposition scare of him. Can see that the amount of times he has been fouled and won us penalties. He can take a few defenders with him, which opens up their defence.

Sterling on the other hand is useless. Yes hes quick and makes runs, but he does nothing when he has the ball. its like he feels he needs to do a solo run through the whole defence everytime he gets the ball

I think Sterling’s been fine but still find it funny how defensive people get (mostly Man City fans) about him. 

You’ve now got YouTube videos to defend him. Which seem to draw a big cock on the pitch at 2.20. 

That's something you often see of course with fans, they're a bit blinded. Same thing with that Liverpool fan on the forums here who constantly keeps nagging on about that Firmino should play in Brazilian team instead of GJ.

Anyway, concerning Sterling, I also think he has been okay so far. But I don't understand why you would sacrifice a player of his qualities for the role he currently has within the England team. It seems weird, he should be one of the players you would want to see flourish with goals and assists, not just work rate. 

34 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I think Sterling’s been fine but still find it funny how defensive people get (mostly Man City fans) about him. 

You’ve now got YouTube videos to defend him. Which seem to draw a big cock on the pitch at 2.20. 

He would be great if he just learn to pass the ball. Lost count of the times he just runs into defenders

The overdefensiveness around Sterling is weird, almost as weird as the press' obsession with negativity towards him. He's by no means been crap, but he most certainly hasn't been great either. The people that are praising his off the ball movement being so important for us are wilfully ignoring the fact his finishing and decision making (and indeed, execution of) around his final ball have been crap. You can't praise one and ignore the other just like you can't say he's had a crap tournament just based on his comedy exploits in front of goal and ignore the other stuff he brings to the team.

He's been aright, nothing more. As important as he is for opening space for others that finishing could cost us a World Cup.

Don't think it's as easy as just saying put Rashford in for him because Rashford's a completely different player and would impact how our team functioned so I think we just have to stick it out with Sterling and put up with his 'Bambi on ice' antics in front of goal whilst hoping that he actually finishes one eventually.

Archived