Quarter Final: France vs Uruguay

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Watched the second goal again and the ball didn't move that much? 

Muslera just moved to the side, maybe he was trying to judge the ball movement ahead of time or something and he went too far. Very poor all round. 

It moves very late, but his body is pointing to left, so it's almost impossible for him to push off to the right and react

à l’instant, GunmaN1905 a dit :

True, but his set piece taking has been great.

Noone mentioned it, but when he stopped during the run up for that free kick, Uruguayan defense kind of stopped and lost their positioning, allowing Umtiti to be left unmarked.

Looking the game on french tv and Bixente Lizarazu didn't stop talking about that precise point for 5min!!

Just now, craigcwwe said:

Was thinking this before this game tbh. Compared to Euro 2016 were he ran the show for France and got the goals to get them to the final, his all round game at this WC hasn't been as good, he's got three goals though, including a penalty and a goal that should have been saved. 

Maybe with the emergence of Mbappe, he's kind of slacked off a little bit? 

I think the French attack suffers from Giroud being forced in. 

Should just run with Mbappé and Griezmann up top, they'd both be more effective playing off of each other rather than off Giroud. 

Just now, JDownie said:

Should just run with Mbappé and Griezmann up top, they'd both be more effective playing off of each other rather than off Giroud. 

They did that in match 1 and had Dembele in there instead. It didn't work at all, just all became isolated from each other. Giroud is the one that doesn't play in an individualistic manner.

Just now, JDownie said:

They tried that in the first game if i'm not mistaken. And it was terrible. They need Giroud as a focal point as Griezmann and Mbappe exploit spaces that he opens for them

il y a 1 minute, JDownie a dit :

well Giroud overall has been great with NT, and the first game french played far worse without Giroud in...

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

I love giroud... But he definitely feels shoe horned in... They arent playing with any attacking width to get balls into him

What happened to the french team that tore england to shreds with 10 men... Lemar dembele mbappe just ran at us time and time again. Was expecting them to be more exciting

5 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Not sure if you watch english coverage...merson strugges with the silent h in john... So that name would be hillarious to see him have a go

No, I don't watch English coverage, although I have heard of him.

How can a guy like that work in a job like this if he can't speak properly?

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

I meant play Mbappé and Griezmann as a 2 or 1-1. Not as 2 of a front 3 with Dembélé on the opposite flank to Mbappé. 

Might work but it could also suffer from a lack of width. Lucas and Pavard aren't exactly the type of player you want to be the sole source of wide play.

Just now, brez22 said:

Might work but it could also suffer from a lack of width. Lucas and Pavard aren't exactly the type of player you want to be the sole source of wide play.

I think you're right but in this game they're playing Griezmann in behind a front 2 of Giroud and Mbappé and they're not suffering from a lack of width in this game. 

Although that is perhaps helped by Uruguay playing quite narrow too. 

Just now, craigcwwe said:

More for his personality and comedy really. 

Yeah Merson is definitely not a serious pundit like Neville or Henry or anyone else like that. He's a comedic character primarily I'd say. :D

Just now, PMLF said:

No, I don't watch English coverage, although I have heard of him.

How can a guy like that work in a job like this if he can't speak properly?

I dont watch the English coverage aswell, so can't tell about Merson.

But isn't it generally quite common that former players become pundits due to being a household name, and not because of their journalistic qualities? 

Just now, martplfc1 said:

Crying before the whistle has gone :D

Just now, Rio_V said:

Uruguay players already starting to cry? Come on. 

So much about Uruguayan players' reputation of being manly. :D 

Just now, Orzelek said:

But isn't it generally quite common that former players become pundits due to being a household name, and not because of their journalistic qualities? 

Yes, it is, sadly.

Just now, Orzelek said:

This is also true. But as Craig said above, Merson is a pundit due to his personality and the nature of his work. He doesn't do punditry for actual matches, but rather for Sky Sport's Results Show during the football on a Saturday afternoon at 3PM :)

For such a small nation, Uruguay are pretty remarkable for the players they churn out. Probably 3 world class players on this side and the best CB in the world. Mexico might want to visit and take some notes. 

1 minute ago, Cedrik said:

Hard to say, Cavani had his first good season with Palermo when he was 23 iirc. 

21/22.

When he was 23, he already moved to Napoli.

2 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

another scummy team gone

Why?

Except for Suarez who didn't pull any of his usual antics, who was scummy on Uruguayan team?

Maxi Gomez who came on (and was anonymous) is actually a very talented young player, just incredibly raw atm. Shown a lot of glimpses this season that if he continues to develop he could the next world class South American ST.

Just now, deltablue said:

1-0 vs Peru as well.

Yes, I completely forgot this one, so the only South American team they can't face is Colombia, unless Brazil is eliminated too.

à l’instant, GunmaN1905 a dit :

21/22.

When he was 23, he already moved to Napoli.

Why?

Except for Suarez who didn't pull any of his usual antics, who was scummy on Uruguayan team?

I felt there was a lot of faults from Uruguay, especially Nandez...Lot of tackle were very late (but well i'm biased)

Laixhalt could have been booked too.

Archived