[FM18] Not Another Journeyman Story

Constantine

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

4093fecf1a7bc0f3ed2e44f3d20b2dda.png

Now, tell me, is it insane to go from a leading club in Premier League to a club in mid table during midseason?
Your answer will probably be: Yes.
But that's exactly what i'm going to do
And it's all one man's fault.

It's not like i'm leaving Brighton in shambles. First place, +4 ahead of City and they have to play Chelsea, Liverpool and City out of all "big" clubs in their remaining games. Financially sound, with great first eleven which include such prospects as Przybyla, GM, Basso and Golden Boy himself Ricardo Costa.
And i know it makes absolute sense to stay and win the title with these boys, as every sane bone in my body is telling me but... The heart want what it wants.   

aa72930b2fab5fbec8d7bca99dcc7589.png

We all know what Arsenal is. One of England top clubs, without much sucess in the past... Well, 18, 19 years. That long they're waiting for that famed trophy to come back to their cabinets. And with little luck, they won't have to wait much longer.   
Club // Facilities // Squad // League Table // Finances
Those finances are SHOCKING!! What the hell, Arsenal?! There's about a half month left, to try and sell some oldtimers and get their wages off wb. 
As for squad, there's some good players here. Not great, but decent enough.  
Tactics wise, idk... I'm going to see if i can fit them in my 442 that has served me well so far (and Arsenal of my childhood used to play in similar setup) but i might opt to go for 4231 or 41221. We'll see. 

b6fcf907f5049dea45b8f7b37f731011.png

02c899263ed849a54d82b12dbcd98219.png

Pretty inspiring choice for my successor, i must say. River Plate's icon, won everything with Chivas bar CWC (lost in final vs PSG). I like it. 
Hoping he can keep Brighton in CL spots. Or win a title perhaps. Now that would be something... C'mon Seagulls!! 

Transfers // Update

OUT
9bcbfea137205c9e3c15fe240d0277f3.png

Rambo drew first blood, Ozil was next out of door. Those two + Mkhi freed almost 700k per week off our wb. Dani Martin was backup goalie but had to go as we had problems registering players i wanted in first team. 
Off topic but had to be said. Arsenal failed FFP last year and was kicked out of Champions League. It's no wonder club is in such dire state. Shambles, absolute shambles...

IN

Only one player in. Had few more targets in mind, but no money to go after them. 

Paul Cain - Best Canadian footballer i've ever seen. Bargain for 4m.

ARSENAL

2021./22.

Premier League - We're back where we belong!! To the fourth place!!! :D
All jokes aside, we sneaked past Liverpool and Tottenham, who were unstoppable at times. Fresher legs after early exit from cup competitions turned out to be decisive factor.   
FA Cup - Played reserves v Tottenham and deservedly lost.     
Carabao Cup - I've came just before second semifinal game. We had our chances but sadly Liverpool at Enfield is nearly unbeatable.   
Squad - Hasn't changed much since when i was appointed but that might change when next transfer window start. Some players (Sabitzer, Kurzawa, Otavio) are way too expensive to be kept as reserves. PEA started  to decline badly so if a decent offer come, he'll go too. Otherwise, i'm pleased how this side looks. I'm going to give more playtime to some kids next year, as there is abundance of unused talent rotting in reserves here.   
Transfers - Said what i had above.      
Finances - Things are looking up again...  
Key players: 
Alexandre Lacazette - Undoubtedly best player we have.     
Alvaro Odriozola - Fantastic right back.    
Wesley Hoedt - The Rock!!   

CAREER SUMMARY

Season    Club             Country  League                      Position   Achievements
2017./18. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       6.           /
2018./19. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       1.      FA Trophy
2019./20. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Sky Bet League 2               1.           /
2020./21. Brighton         ENG      Sky Bet Championship           1.           /
2021./22. Arsenal          ENG      Premier League                 4.           /

Goals for the upcoming season 
Top 4 and knockout rounds of Champions League. I'll take that.    

Transfer Window

OUT

a14eb8e37be19143072a25c756b8db1a.png

Team hasn't changed much. Players with huge wages that aren't going to feature in first XI are sold, together with some unfulfilled talents. Huge money went into the club but i've got only bits and pieces for strengthening squad. This board seems hellbent on making my life tougher than it has to be. 

IN

5717b1b25544b606b94fefb02976a0da.png

Six signings, three for first XI, three for the future.   
Matthew Williamson - 80% of transfer budget available at the time went into arrival of this young fella. Perhaps i overspent but i don't care. He's English, rapid, poachery tipe striker that's dubbed new Michael Owen. Hopefully, with healthy knees...    
Tiemoue Bakayoko - He was unhappy at Chelsea for a season and half. Got him on Bosman and sold Chelsea older, more expensive player.  
Rene Henry - Arsenal got themself a new Henry. Not as good as old one but looks good for his age, with bags of potential. PSG wanted him, so there might be something special about him... 
Paulo Henrique - I'm planing on selling Maitland Niles and this young man is his replacement. As soon as he's settled in London and bit more developed, he'll be Odriozola's new backup.  
Stephen Okoro - Yet another English striker. Kept my eye on him for the last two season, nearly signed him on Bosman but after little unsettling, Fulham finally broke and sold him to me.   
Nicolo Barella - This one was forced onto me. Xhaka damaged his ligaments and is out till March which put us back on the market for more creative midfielder. Really wanted to sign Basso but Brighton was a b***h to negotiate with. 

You got Granit Xhaka to actually play for you! Everytime I bring him into a side he becomes a fouling machine as well as wanting to leave for someplace "Bigger" Would like to know what you did and to bad about the injury.

3 hours ago, dllu said:

You are officially forgiven for the embarassment against Spurs. :thup: 

giphy.gif

Consider this a bonus. :brock:

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

You got Granit Xhaka to actually play for you! Everytime I bring him into a side he becomes a fouling machine as well as wanting to leave for someplace "Bigger" Would like to know what you did and to bad about the injury.

Yeah, had same problems with fouls in the beginning. I've absolved him of all defensive duties, he's at cm (s) duty with only shoot less often and dribble less activated. And he's playing actually pretty well. Simple game, passes in triangles with right winger, fullback and f9 with occasional long pass while changing sides. Bakayoko (Allan) do all dirty work in defense for him.   

Transfers // Update

OUT
56946223c6d8cd5d18249734ad1cb9fe.png

One player out, one player in. 
Bernard was among our best players but he started complaining about joining Atletico, as they're "bigger" club. As his contract was running out, i was happy to sell him and as replacement bring player i had my eye on for a long time. 

IN

ed3d0e8d1b56a084daae1dcf97a8fdc7.png

Brazilian for a Brazilian.  
Maguila - At the moment, not as good as Bernard but he'll get there. His personality is a bit of a worry but i'm having him tutored so i hope that change. Other than that, no complaints. Really good player. 

ARSENAL

2022./23.

Premier League - We've had fantastic campaign but United had outstanding one. It will be pain in the a$$ to overthrow them. On the other hand, Brighton has slipped massively, as they return to Championship. Going to try and sign few player i've brought them for sure...     
FA Cup - Flawless run to the trophy that hasn't been ours since 2017. First "real" trophy that i've won in my career.      
Carabao Cup - Embarrassing... Wolves seem to be our boogey team this year.   
Champions League - Walked our group, easily winning all games bar last one, where i played kids at Allianz. Got a bit lucky with Wolfsburg and Monaco draw and then came two nail biting and most stressful games i've managed in so far. PSG away was nightmare, as Mustafi and Hoedt both looked like Vanarama National players but Lacazette (3 goals) and Williamson (goal and 2 assists) pulled us through to the final where we met and defeated Man City for third time this season thus leaving them without Champions league next year. My second trophy and greatest one there is in football. So, so happy for the boys after heartbreak in the league.     
Squad - To the last man, they were amazing. Fantastic year for every single one of them.    
Transfers - Can't see us being this busy in the market in upcoming season. That could change if some special player become available but i don't think i'll be buying much.       
Finances - Can't get much better than this yet board still insist on 30% transfer revenue available and such small transfer budget. They really annoy the s*** out of me.   
Key players: 
Alexandre Lacazette - He was injured for good part of season but with him on the pitch, we're much better, much more dangerous team.       
Gonzalo Martinez - Assists Master!! Three of them were in CL final. Brilliant player.     
Matthew Williamson - Had a terrible start of his Arsenal career, couldn't hit a freaking barn door but as season went, he player better and better. Big game player apparently, as he scored in both finals.    

CAREER SUMMARY

Season    Club             Country  League                      Position   Achievements
2017./18. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       6.           /
2018./19. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Vanarama National League       1.      FA Trophy
2019./20. Hartlepool Utd   ENG      Sky Bet League 2               1.           /
2020./21. Brighton         ENG      Sky Bet Championship           1.           /
2021./22. Arsenal          ENG      Premier League                 4.           /
2022./23. Arsenal          ENG      Premier League                 2.       FA Cup, CL

In league, we could challenge Utd for that damned title. As for CL, i would love to see us at least in semi finals. It all depends on the draw but i believe this boys are made for great things.   

Since Arsen Wenger's reign, Arsenal became synonymous with youth development. Many great players came out from their academy. Many were here when i got hired. Couple of them came during my stay. 
So, who are Arsenal's brightest talents right now? 

aaf058f69731ebd078445eeeaf1110b7.png

Found him in reserves and made him instant backup to Strakosha. Future #1 for sure, if he continue to develop. 

a38853a979e8034fddff0b5dd94c4c69.png

Ian's my personal favorite. He was on fringes of first team, rarely given chance to play. Gave him few games under his belt and fella exploded. 

d29819c5cf301d479b178551818ccb55.png

More than a capable replacement for Martinez at left winger position.

62afd293c19add08f7798d476b7f2994.png

Huge talent who came through the academy during my first year. Already debuted for Nigeria and coaches at club rate him really highly.

832fedf4e178cd79029be301b811ce82.png

Jewel among last year's crappy intake. New Ashley Cole perhaps?

I think it's safe to say, if i keep them all, Arsenal doesn't have to worry about HG quota 

Transfer Window

OUT

b3c432cd3880b1ff6a30723ea7ed6a60.png

Xhaka finally left the club. After that injury, he was never going to be same player and lately, he's been pain in my side, as he supported any player who complained. So, good riddance. Paredes gone too, as we're left with Barella and new signings to compete for that creative cm spot. Only one i'll truly miss is Kurzawa. Consistent, all around left back joined Bernard at Madrid. Won't hold my breath for Holding. But Maitland Niles to River Plate is most beautifully random transfer i've ever seen. 
134 mill earned and third season in a row we've earned more than we spent. Arsen would be proud.    

IN

ab6486bd8bc3f5251f8319192cdccdd3.png

We're getting stronger and stronger...     
Ricardo Costa - Got extremely lucky with this one. While i was at Brighton, i'd give all players contracts with Relegation Release Clause 0 as it get their demands down. Since then, many of them renewed their contracts and got rid of that clause, bar two. Costa and Przybyla. Wanted to sign them both but Kacper chose Marseille. Can't say i'm too unhappy. Got my Golden Boy back for nothing and Williamson got partner in attack for years to come.     
Phil Foden - 40 mill is most money i've spent on one player so far. But it got us one of the most talented English players from Man City reserves. His development has stalled, as he barely played competitive game but hopefully that'll change now.   
Leandro Gaido - Bought for his versatility. Looks really good and would be in my starting XI if we haven't got Foden.  
Toni Lato - Straight replacement for Kurzawa and backup for Alex.  
Jose David Negrete - Had him on my radar for a while but abstained from buying him until i've got rid of Mustafi or Hoedt. Sadly, Juventus and Real Madrid got interested and forced my hand. I've spent every last penny i had available to get him and i don't care. He's f***** brilliant!   

Way too OP... Some guy from my Discord group showed me screenshots from his save back in February where United won all competitions for 5, 6 years except Capitol One Cup in second season. Ridiculous. 

Meanwhile, Pep, no matter what i think about him, can't win anything to save his life. Simeone, Marcelino, that guy from Leipzig, forgot his name, always seem to do well.

61ef839cdf172013cb75fb2b3cc2f310.png

28498048badaca2d3263c30caa574fec.png

Proud day for everyone at the club. So happy for both of them. Lacca overcame his injuries and came back better than ever and Williamson broke through that mental barrier that kept him from showing his best. Lacazette for Ballon D'Or is a bit surprising but numbers don't lie, he was outstanding and fully deserved this recognition. 

On ‎04‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 06:57, Constantine said:

Way too OP... Some guy from my Discord group showed me screenshots from his save back in February where United won all competitions for 5, 6 years except Capitol One Cup in second season. Ridiculous. 

Meanwhile, Pep, no matter what i think about him, can't win anything to save his life. Simeone, Marcelino, that guy from Leipzig, forgot his name, always seem to do well.

Pep and Klopp end up on the Manager Merry-go-round because of Man U.  They often end up with each others jobs! and if not a Journeyman career through all the Top Clubs.(Bayern, PSG, Barcelona, Real Madrid, etc.) Man U only fades into obscurity if a Human Player directly challenges their dominance in the Premier League if the AI Mourinho stays. Luckily He left for PSG in one of my saves and Man U floundered.

Pep more often than not fails to do anything of notice. In nearly all my saves he get sacked at City for finishing 4. and below than goes to one of Liverpool/Spurs/Arsenal, get sacked again, manage Spanish national team, get sacked and then just drift jobless for couple of years before retiring. I don't really like him but man has got results and titles whenever he manages. In FM that just don't happen. While Jose and Simeone wins virtually everything. 

Transfers // Update

OUT
cc38d39f2a3097da1664cbe6460cf099.png

We've lost one of our most important players. He didn't want to sign new contract because he was mad at me for some reason, his current one expired at the end of season so there was only one thing i could do. Don't mind it though, as it give me a chance to promote brilliant Mohammed, from our own academy, to first team regular.  

IN

c1afd49da85025fbbc1c0396b26568fe.png

Jens Palsson - Fine, young Swede. Quick, either footed, great personality, decent player overall with 4+1 potential. Will slot into backup role.

Do use your Wide Midfielder's as IF's or Winger's?

Mohammed looks like a gem of a player for a newgen.

FM19 will be AI Pep's and Klopp's chance to shine I bet. 

AI Simeone and Mourinho will get the manager merry go round this time!

ARSENAL

2023./24.

Community Shield - Typical Jose victory this... Long shot from Brandt went past Strakosha and that was game over. United defended with 10 men behind ball and while we had some chances, we were utterly hopeless in front of motivated De Gea.  
Super Cup - Our backups had better luck against Liverpool, as they turned match around after losing 2-1 at half time.  
Premier League - History was made this year as Arsenal fans got themself new The Invincibles. Didn't think we'd make it, especially nearing end of season when schedule became hestic due to Champions League but... We did it. First one for me after all those years since CM01/02. Brilliant!!   
FIFA Club World Cup - Backups won another one.      
FA Cup - Cup is ours second year in a row.       
Carabao Cup - Demolished everything in our way to first Carabao Cup for Arsenal since 1993.   
Champions League - We've did Real Madrid and retained Champions League! Group stage went as planned, as our backups played fantastic, winning every game. Bayern at Allianz is always pain in the backside but i had every confidence that we'll go through. Backups rised yet again, as they blown Marseille away putting us vs Liverpool in the semis. And boy, were they close to eliminating us... At Enfield, we were losing 4-1 at half time! "Hair dryer did the trick and we returned home with amazing result and 4 goals scored away. Hoedt shocked Emirates with his dumbassnes and 2 yellow cards after 4 minutes but Costa's wonder goal and GOAT level performance from Strakosha pulled us through. Final yet again, against formidable opponent who defeated us many years ago (2006., was it?) and yet another great match from my boys as Barcelona scored from their only shot on target.      
Squad - Lost 2 games all year... Amazing bunch...     
Transfers - Turning profit and winning trophies... See Arsen, it can be done. In FM at least... :D        
Finances - Getting better and better.    
Key players: 
Alexandre Lacazette - Even if he played for our backup side, he still ended up as our top scorer. Laca is like a wine...       
Ian Rowe - Yet another one from our backup side, who did amazingly well after Hoedt's stupid suspension.      
Ricardo Costa - Had some awful games and some fantastic ones. Everything is forgiven when you score 3 goals in Champions League semis and 2 in the final.     

CAREER SUMMARY

2022./23. Arsenal          ENG      Premier League                 2.       FA Cup, CL
2023./24. Arsenal          ENG      Premier League                 1.     SC, CWC, FA Cup, CC, CL

Didn't wanted for it to happen so early but... I might leave. 
In all my saves, in all my clubs, i like to leave on high... Like Mourinho at Inter, after historical treble. And it don't get any higher than sextuple, winning Champions League second year in a row and The Invincibles season.

2 hours ago, Hootieleece said:

Do use your Wide Midfielder's as IF's or Winger's?

Mohammed looks like a gem of a player for a newgen.

Wingers are on support duty with shoot less often + cross from byline

Mohammed and Rowe are teacher's pets. Love them both, their progress is amazing. :) 

4cd9746806de3e75ebf3ef1c933f1934.png

0aa25ce2195a5e1baef82e2044404fba.png

Back at the job center... Gave myself overnight to decide what to do and when i loaded game this morning, i knew this is it. I've won all i wanted with Arsenal and would love to end it on a high note.  
I'd like to go to new country, new league. Germany or Spain would be ideal. 
Dortmund is available but they've won Bundesliga two years in a row. 
Juventus is without manager too, haven't won Serie A for 3 years and on paper are good prospect but... I dislike them. 
Napoli, also good option, but sadly they've won league 2 times since save started. 
Sporting Lisboa is out for the same reason. 
Manchester United is managerless, Jose resigned 2 days before me. Not an option, as i'm after change of scenery. 
Some smaller jobs available but nothing of interest so far.
Luckily, i'm not in a hurry...

Hertha Berlin is always a fun job in Germany. Lots of Potential but needs to beat Bayern and Dortmund (and others) to claim top spot.

If you don't mind France, AS St. Etienne is a Fallen Giant. Won Ligue 1 10X but NOT since the 1970's. Good facilities and youth development.

1 hour ago, Hootieleece said:

Hertha Berlin is always a fun job in Germany. Lots of Potential but needs to beat Bayern and Dortmund (and others) to claim top spot.

If you don't mind France, AS St. Etienne is a Fallen Giant. Won Ligue 1 10X but NOT since the 1970's. Good facilities and youth development.

Hertha is an interesting shout... I'd love to manage Schalke but Hertha piqued my interest. Good one. 

As for France... Don't really like the league but i would reconsider going there if one of Marseille/St. Etienne/Paris FC become available. Last one would have first to get promoted to L2. It'd be nice to get a few over PSG with them :D 

710e19440fcc784f429346f47e4de78f.png

A.S. Roma. Club plagued with highest of expectations and even bigger disappointments. Always a bridesmaid, never a bride. Last season was one of better ones for them, as they finished 5th. Sadly, they failed FFP regulations and had to sell almost every decent player they had. All that's left now are two or three good players, tiny squad with no depth and bunch of players that would fail to get into first XI of many Serie B clubs. 
I knew situation is dire but i'm still surprised. It's even worse than i imagined. But... Had i wanted it easy, i would've accepted Juventus or Napoli's offers.          
Club // Facilities // Squad // League Table // Finances

Archived