Sports Interactive Community
Readingfanman

Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

3 hours ago, Razzler said:

People like Westy are not unusual amongst England football fans, just utter dread at everything so protects his feels by saying we're rubbish and everyone will beat us so when we do lose he can say 'I told you so'. Negativity is the easiest thing in the world, requires very little effort and eventually you'll be proven correct.

Also, there's a level of football fan that thinks if they say positive things about England they get lumped in with the tabloid reading 'it's coming home' types (heaven forbid a team be positive, I am sure Sweden, Croatia and Russia are!), so they can appear as though they have a real understanding of the game by not falling into such traps. It's a popular trope amongst pundits too, the ex-England international that 'isn't buying into the hype and we're actually rubbish' type thing.

If we played fantastic they'd be something else to be angry and complain about. We could win the damn thing and it'll be 'Worst World Cup winners ever lolz :D' and then every subsequent friendly defeat after that more and more ... seen it soooooooo many times.

I am sure this isn't correct at all though and 'no, no, no, I just expect more and blah blah' despite being a carbon copy of so so sooooo very many 'football fans' before him

Absolutely bang on. 

1 hour ago, westy8chimp said:

Connect 4 ding ding ding. If I am a troll... I'm winning this thread

'If' :lol:

9 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Absolutely bang on. 

'If' :lol:

Cuts deep when it comes from a fan. Supporter to hater in under a week... Youve obviously enjoyed englands wc so far...i havent. Not sure why that makes me a troll :D

Screenshot_20180704-223550.thumb.png.4716157b5199b7e2f8b8a6499ad1f4de.png

21 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

Cuts deep when it comes from a fan. Supporter to hater in under a week... Youve obviously enjoyed englands wc so far...i havent. Not sure why that makes me a troll :D

Screenshot_20180704-223550.thumb.png.4716157b5199b7e2f8b8a6499ad1f4de.png

Tis indeed a good thread aye but you're posts in here are quite strange for a 'fan' of the NT. 

I just think you're on a wind up and looking for attention tbh. 

Seems a few others think the same too. 

Edited by craigcwwe

I think, certainly as an Arsenal fan, it's a hell of a lot easier to let the club rivalry stuff go with the National Team now. I think apart from Dele Ali there's not really anyone in the team who is particularly hate-able, Vardy maybe I guess. I mean, ffs, 10 years ago you had John Terry, Ashley Cole, Wayne Rooney, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville. This is definitely the most I've been behind the national team since the 2002 World Cup when I was like 8 and didn't really know or care for club politics that much. Obviously still wanted us to win but this tournament has proper made me feel like a kid again, just fully 100 percent behind the squad and the manager, thought maybe it was just me and a few of my mates at first as most of us are Arsenal fans but as it's gone on it's obviously a country-wide thing which is brilliant. 

I'll be the first to admit I was pretty gutted when Big Sam got sacked as I thought we could do well under him, mainly as he's a sort of quirky kind of character who could get us doing well playing really direct stuff. I was even more gutted when Southgate first got announced/rumoured to be taking over, as whilst he'd done well with the younger set-up I just thought he was the epitome of a boring, dull and uninspired choice. Here's my post in the thread where he was confirmed: 

80b72550ec368fefeb150ca8be7687e2.png

If you told me then that after the 1st game I'd be fully behind the NT and the ITS COMING HOME stuff I'd have thought you were mad :D 

I was actually loving the ****-house tactics from the Spurs and United players against Colombia, especially since they started it and were far worse imo. Henderson goes down like a sack of ****, but even with VAR if he doesn't go down like that they wouldn't have even booked the lad, when he should have been sent off. Was numerous other incidents, especially the penalty where they were scuffing up the spot and refusing to leave the box. Falcao even stayed in our half when we kicked off after they had equalised. 

We were bad too and Henderson was lucky he didn't get sent off for that sly little headbutt thing he did, a different game or if he does it with slightly more emphasis then he possibly goes off. Was some other stuff like Maguire standing his ground with one of their players, could've been booked for that, a few other moments where we picked up silly bookings or did some stupid stuff. But overall I was fully behind us going down easy, the Spurs players are good at it and when you're playing against such a scummy team you might as well do it. If we were doing that against a team like Japan or something who weren't doing anything naughty back, I would feel a bit bad, but Colombia were quite possibly the scummiest team I can ever remember seeing in all my time of watching football ffs :D 

I refuse to believe you're only 24, you always make sense and it made sense to ME that '71' was your year of birth. :mad:

3 hours ago, Robbie.Knox said:

Don't know what you're doing mate but it's definitely not winning :D

Westy has the Donald Trump view of arguments - as long as people are talking about him, he's winning, regardless of what they're actually saying.

I'm not full Westy but I genuinely believe we're not that great as a team with the exception of Kane and (normally) Sterling and Alli, and though we should beat Sweden I can see us struggling to break them down, but would love to be proven wrong and see a third goal from open play going in.

I don't see how this team is likeable apart from Kane either, I just don't think we've had them in the side long enough to be sick of them yet. I don't even have a problem with them diving and Highlighting Fouls To The Ref just wish the holier than thou types would shut up when Portugal do it if brave Jordan Henderson collapses and it's considered fine. 

But I don't care about how likeable a team is, I just want them to win. I can't stand Alan Hutton but if he puts in a good performance I'll manage. All this PR stuff would have been pointless anyway had we lost on pens to Colombia, the press would have had a field day.

I want the qualifier at Hampden replayed, because I'm absolutely convinced that given another chance Stuart Armstrong would have just BOOTED THE ****ING BALL UP THE ****ING PARK YOU HANDSOME ****!  THEY'VE GOT HARRY KANE!  WE'RE 2-1 UP!  WHY THE **** ARE YOU PASSING TO THEM IN THE LAST MINUTE!?

But I'm a fair man, I'll just accept taking England's place in the next round, wherever that may be.  No need to make a big scene.