Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Readingfanman

Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, Harryseaess said:

He also played 30 minutes more.

Even with the extra 30 minutes I find it remarkable a keeper has run almost more than someone in a 4-3 game.

Edited by Readingfanman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, martplfc1 said:

It is a concern that we’ve not scored any goals (other than Lingard’s beauty and the fluke for Kane’s hat trick) that haven’t been from set pieces.

That said, Alli missed a glorious headed chance but again that was from a cross. We don’t really have any creativity in the middle - Alli is clearly injured, Sterling is just rubbish if he has to think and Lingard doesn’t have enough influence on things. Henderson not creative either.

Can we win it with dangerous crosses and set pieces as our main weapon? Stranger things have happened but I think we’d really struggle against France or a full strength Belgium (if they get past Uruguay/Brazil). I actually think we’d have a better chance against Brazil than any of those four.

It'd be fantastic to get to the final though, and anything can happen in one game. 🤞

I think the standard of opposition means they'll get to the final playing this way. I don't see it being enough to beat Brazil, who I think will come through from the other side.

Or even France/Uruguay for that matter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Readingfanman said:

Even with the extra 30 minutes I find it remarkable a keeper has run more than someone in a 4-3 game.

See previous post. He didn't run more, even in extra time

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

It seems like he was injured, he's pictured holding his groin in the celebrations 

Jamie-Vardy-1405995.jpg?r=1530682822137

Just looks like he's having a cheeky celebratory tug to me. #havingaparty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cedrik said:

Tbh, and this is probably going to **** a lot of English people off, I don't think Kane is that impressive this WC so far. Also expected more from him last night. So far his goals are three penalties, one deflected shot that accidentally hit his leg and two tap-ins against Tunisia from close range. Nothing against Kane btw, think he is a great player and also comes across as a likeable character, but feel his goals so far can be put into perspective. 

Klose won the golden boot after scoring a bunch of tap ins against Saudi Arabia, doesn't mean he isn't considered a World Cup legend.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, ginnybob said:

As we all know, tap ins and pens don't count

Nope, only counts if its in Black and White and goalies just watch your shots go in 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Astafjevs said:

See previous post. He didn't run more, even in extra time

Apologies - almost more. 

It's fairly incredible either way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Klose won the golden boot after scoring a bunch of tap ins against Saudi Arabia, doesn't mean he isn't considered a World Cup legend.

This is misleading isn't it? Because he did a bit more than that. There's 13 more goals he added to his total beyond those vs. Saudi Arabia, that put him in World Cup legend status

Edited by Astafjevs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wigmore said:

Just looks like he's having a cheeky celebratory tug to me. #havingaparty

Saw Nacho going at it the other night and thought he could get away with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ginnybob said:

As we all know, tap ins and pens don't count

They count but they aren't a measure of great performance! or player ability.

If the tap ins were poacher style with good movement off the ball and after a lovely through ball or cross then great.. but even the tap ins were scrappy off corners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Klose won the golden boot after scoring a bunch of tap ins against Saudi Arabia, doesn't mean he isn't considered a World Cup legend.

True, but I don't think those goals made him a World Cup legend. He also scored against Argentina (three times iirc), England and Brazil. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Astafjevs said:

This is misleading isn't it? Because he did a bit more than that. There's 13 more goals he added to his total beyond those vs. Saudi Arabia, that put him in World Cup legend status

And Kane is doing more than what the poster above implies. The deflection off his heel is obviously jammy as hell, but his other 5 goals have been very well taken. Very well indeed. And that's before you start to analyse his overall play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shout out btw to Rashford. I think people forget how young he still is and to just come on and smash home his penalty was top quality stuff.

Maguire deserves a mention too. The way he brings the ball out and his composure is excellent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

And yet the other day you were one of those claiming Colombia would easily beat us, now we should have won comfortably? 

 

Um, no. I said that Colombia should win based off England's performance against Belgium (regardless of England having the far better team on paper - and at the time it wasn't confirmed that James was injured iirc). England managed to scrape past with a Kane penalty (plus the penalty shootout), so yeah, I do remain pretty cynical of their chances. They have got a fairly easy run-in though, with Sweden being one of the weaker teams going into the QF's, so who knows? It's football; anything could happen. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Coulthard's Jaw said:

And Kane is doing more than what the poster above implies. The deflection off his heel is obviously jammy as hell, but his other 5 goals have been very well taken. Very well indeed. And that's before you start to analyse his overall play.

Three penalties and a deflection? Come on. You know exactly what they're getting that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, westy8chimp said:

They count but they aren't a measure of great performance! or player ability.

If the tap ins were poacher style with good movement off the ball and after a lovely through ball or cross then great.. but even the tap ins were scrappy off corners

They all count, and if it was that easy everyone would be scoring lots of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, martplfc1 said:

Maguire deserves a mention too. The way he brings the ball out and his composure is excellent.

Yeah, Maguire and Davison Sanchez were probably the stand-outs for me. Both were excellent in defense and looked pretty composed on the ball for most of the game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

Three penalties and a deflection? Come on. You know exactly what they're getting that.

I do and if you're going to push it then I'm going to have to say it's a moronic argument. Kane's penalties have been world class, 4 (inc shootout) this World Cup and hasn't looked like missing. And 2 of the penalties he's won himself because defenderx cannot cope with his movement and physicality in the box (he should have had a at least 2 more penalties this World Cup). I hate Kate, he's an open mouthed Spurs knob, but if you can't be objective and give a world class striker who is performing at the top of his game credit, you should really stop posting in this thread because you're making yourself look silly.

Edited by Coulthard's Jaw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

England have a World Cup top scorer and are into the QF's yet still people find something to knock them for. It's like reading the Daily Mail :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Shout out btw to Rashford. I think people forget how young he still is and to just come on and smash home his penalty was top quality stuff.

Maguire deserves a mention too. The way he brings the ball out and his composure is excellent.

First ever penalty too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Astafjevs said:

Three penalties and a deflection? Come on. You know exactly what they're getting that.

Penalties that he won because defenders are wrestling him to the ground, he should also have had 2 more against Tunsia 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

They all count, and if it was that easy everyone would be scoring lots of them.

If another team had been given 20 pens ... I'd expect them to score at least 15 of them... so would that make them the worlds best ever player?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I personally think Kane has been great and particularly last night. Absolutely agree that 6 goals flatters him since most of them have been gimmes, but his contribution to the team has been immense.

At 1-0 last night his hold up play and ability to buy fouls was totally invaluable (until we conceded :D) - we haven't had a player who can give us that for a long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, themadsheep2001 said:

First ever penalty too. 

No its not :D Maybe in senior competition but he's definitely taken them in youth games before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, RedNomad said:

Um, no. I said that Colombia should win based off England's performance against Belgium (regardless of England having the far better team on paper - and at the time it wasn't confirmed that James was injured iirc). England managed to scrape past with a Kane penalty (plus the penalty shootout), so yeah, I do remain pretty cynical of their chances. They have got a fairly easy run-in though, with Sweden being one of the weaker teams going into the QF's, so who knows? It's football; anything could happen. :D

I don't know how that explanation makes you look any better. You took a game where we played our reserves and claimed Colombia would dismantle us based on it, because, you know, bias. It was explained to you then that the Belgium game would have absolutely no bearing on our lineup for the Colombia game. Now you're changing your tune.

Edited by ginnybob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

This is misleading isn't it? Because he did a bit more than that. There's 13 more goals he added to his total beyond those vs. Saudi Arabia, that put him in World Cup legend status

Wasn’t Klose stats something like all his goals were within 8 yards or something amazing like that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I do and if you're going to push it then I'm going to have to say it's a moronic argument. Kane's penalties have been world class, 4 (inc shootout) this World Cup and hasn't looked like missing. And 2 of the penalties he's won himself because defenderx cannot cope with his movement and physicality in the box (he should have had a at least 2 more penalties this World Cup). I hate Kate, he's an open mouthed Spurs knob, but if you can't be objective and give a world class striker who is performing at the top of his game credit, you should really stop posting in this thread because you're making yourself look silly.

I don't think he's performing at the top of his game at all. The best we've got is 'world class penalties', which itself is pretty ludicrous. Last night's was bunted down the middle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

defenderx cannot cope with his movement

:D off a f'in corner ... yeah amazing movement. ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, westy8chimp said:

If another team had been given 20 pens ... I'd expect them to score at least 15 of them... so would that make them the worlds best ever player?

If he's winning all those penalties himself, then yeah.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Incredible that people won't give Kane credit, but Ronaldo against Spain was world class because of a pen, a jammy blunder and a great free kick 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kane has hit 4 excellent penalties and he makes it look so easy, but his offensive movement isn't good at the minute. I mentioned this before after the first game it's got to improve. I'm wondering if he's tactical as he started dropping really deep, and drawing a lot of fouls that gave us breathing space. But we need him peeling into the channels and dragging defenders off the ball too at times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barry Cartman said:

Incredible that people won't give Kane credit, but Ronaldo against Spain was world class because of a pen, a jammy blunder and a great free kick 

I wasn't a fan of all the praise he got in that game either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

No its not :D Maybe in senior competition but he's definitely taken them in youth games before.

I meant senior completion :D

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, martplfc1 said:

Shout out btw to Rashford. I think people forget how young he still is and to just come on and smash home his penalty was top quality stuff.

Maguire deserves a mention too. The way he brings the ball out and his composure is excellent.

Yes and Yes

So impressed with both, Rashford for just being so level headed and coping with the pressure, and Maguire for the way he's played throughout the tournament.  Probably the best player on the pitch last night too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

Incredible that people won't give Kane credit, but Ronaldo against Spain was world class because of a pen, a jammy blunder and a great free kick 

Ronaldo's off the ball movement was very good tbf. That's what we need more of from Kane. At the moment, Sterling is doing all the running 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Barry Cartman said:

westy's hatred for Spurs players is hilarious :D 

I really enjoy reading it :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Incredible that people won't give Kane credit, but Ronaldo against Spain was world class because of a pen, a jammy blunder and a great free kick 

Opponent plays a big role here. If Kane had scored three tap-ins against a side like Spain or France, I think in general people would have perceived that differently. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t get the excessive man handling at corners. There’s always pushing and shoving in the box but it seems to be happening more against England. 

Do they have a reputation for being dangerous from corners?  Feels like players are making extra effort against England to bring down players than against other teams. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bigwig said:

I don’t get the excessive man handling at corners. There’s always pushing and shoving in the box but it seems to be happening more against England. 

Do they have a reputation for being dangerous from corners?  Feels like players are making extra effort against England to bring down players than against other teams. 

England have quickly built a reputation for being very good at set pieces. Nothing malicious, but they obviously want to try a disrupt what has become a bit of a key strength for us 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Kane has hit 4 excellent penalties and he makes it look so easy, but his offensive movement isn't good at the minute. I mentioned this before after the first game it's got to improve. I'm wondering if he's tactical as he started dropping really deep, and drawing a lot of fouls that gave us breathing space. But we need him peeling into the channels and dragging defenders off the ball too at times. 

That’s what Sterling is there for in fairness and Lingard to lesser extent, moving wide and making the runs to drag defenders around to create the space. Like against Panama Lingard kept making so many good runs down the channels where he was picked out (one leading to a pen). Kane been pretty much told to just operate through the middle, don’t really want him in the channels because he’s the guy to score the chances rather then Sterling etc.

Just our issue last night was moving the ball forward more quickly so the runs could be picked up and defence stretched. Was a proper rigid performance. Just need to see now if it was just as a result of the type of opponent it was and we’ll be different against Sweden, or if that’s what we’re going to do all tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

I don't know how that explanation makes you look any better. You took a game where we played our reserves and claimed Colombia would dismantle us based on it, because, you know, bias. It was explained to you then that the Belgium game would have absolutely no bearing on our lineup for the Colombia game. Now you're changing your tune.

And a poor 'reserves' performance just means that the side lack depth, which is required to do well at a tournament like the world cup with games every few days. Sure, I got it wrong and England won, but they were shaky and it honestly could have gone either way. Therefore I maintain my stance that they'll struggle against stronger teams. Also, I'm not biased - my country's football team has pretty much no hope of even making the WC - I'm just stating my belief that it's unlikely that England will win the WC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ginnybob said:

I don't know how that explanation makes you look any better. You took a game where we played our reserves and claimed Colombia would dismantle us based on it, because, you know, bias. It was explained to you then that the Belgium game would have absolutely no bearing on our lineup for the Colombia game. Now you're changing your tune.

And a poor 'reserves' performance just means that the side lack depth, which is required to do well at a tournament like the world cup with games every few days. Sure, I got it wrong and England won, but they were shaky and it honestly could have gone either way. Therefore I maintain my stance that they'll struggle against stronger teams. Also, I'm not biased - my country's football team has pretty much no hope of even making the WC - I'm just stating my belief that it's unlikely that England will win the WC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I do find the unrelenting criticism for England on this forum quite remarkable at times.

Yes, we're really not very good and there are weak links almost everywhere - we knew that long before this tournament. But we're in a very winnable quarter final tie which could lead to another winnable semi final tie. It's amazing, just enjoy it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, pearcey_90 said:

That’s what Sterling is there for in fairness and Lingard to lesser extent, moving wide and making the runs to drag defenders around to create the space. Like against Panama Lingard kept making so many good runs down the channels where he was picked out (one leading to a pen). Kane been pretty much told to just operate through the middle, don’t really want him in the channels because he’s the guy to score the chances rather then Sterling etc.

Just our issue last night was moving the ball forward more quickly so the runs could be picked up and defence stretched. Was a proper rigid performance. Just need to see now if it was just as a result of the type of opponent it was and we’ll be different against Sweden, or if that’s what we’re going to do all tournament.

I know that, but then you need another passer in midfield to feed them, rather than another runner in Alli. And this has been an issue since the first game, not just last night. And you don't need to stay so stationary to score, he doesn't do it for Spurs. Also if we're not utilising our other threats, then we become one dimensional, which is what's happening now. Absolutely needs to drift out to the channels at times. Force the defenders to make decisions, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

westy's hatred for Spurs players is hilarious :D 

I don't hate Kane... I like him. Just a shame for Spurs he leads the line, scores from range with both feet, scores in the box with head and both feet.

For England he hasn't done anything in open play... like we all laughed in the Euros at him taking corners... I find it just as laughable that he's now playing deep and wide and doing everything in his power not to get near goal and take a shot. It's embarrassing that we have made it through to the QF to play Sweden, whilst the best teams in the tournament have to battle it out in the other half.

for the neutrals last night was a dire as Sweden vs Switz or Denmark vs Croatia (or even Denmark vs France group game). No good football... loads of diving and histrionics.

But because we won people change the narrative that we are heroes and Kane was immense. If Tripps and Dier missed and we go home... the narrative in the thread would be more in line with me; Sterlings decision making was awful, Alli has done nothing all tournament, Kane was out of position ... as a team we had no attacking strategy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...