Jump to content
Sports Interactive Community
Readingfanman

Round of 16: Colombia v England (19:00 BST ITV1)

Recommended Posts

Can England claim their 3rd knockout win in World Cup matches since the turn of the 21st century?

Will James Rodriguez manage to make the field, or is he still not 100%?

Is it coming home? (Yes, the answer is yes)

 

 

COME ON ENGLAND!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

Absolutely bricking it. I'm currently a sweaty nervous wreck trying to get through work

Hope you're not a pilot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Do we actually have to go through this again? I don't want to have to go through this again, especially now that this time we have actually do have a hope :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From what we've seen so far, a 50-50 game if James is healthy.

England will probably have huge issues with their left flank. Cuadrado will abuse Young and Maguire whole game long.

On the other hand, Colombian defense isn't any better, so a high-scoring game is likely, especially with an early goal.

 

But, knowing England, they probably bottle it and lose because of a terrible defense/goalkeeper error.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

From what we've seen so far, a 50-50 game if James is healthy.

England will probably have huge issues with their left flank. Cuadrado will abuse Young and Maguire whole game long.

On the other hand, Colombian defense isn't any better, so a high-scoring game is likely, especially with an early goal.

 

But, knowing England, they probably bottle it and lose because of a terrible defense/goalkeeper error.

Could be worse I guess, we could already be out.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know we are at the point where we want to keep expectations to a minimum as we have had high hopes before and been burned. But. Looking at this side of the draw we should be expecting to get to the final. 

Not having high hopes for your national team is for losers. Can't imagine the Italians or Dutch at Euro 2020 thinking "let's just get to the quarters and that is a good result".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Craigus89 said:

I know we are at the point where we want to keep expectations to a minimum as we have had high hopes before and been burned. But. Looking at this side of the draw we should be expecting to get to the final. 

Not having high hopes for your national team is for losers. Can't imagine the Italians or Dutch at Euro 2020 thinking "let's just get to the quarters and that is a good result".

I disagree, IF we made the semi finals - we'd be 50/50 with Croatia still. There's no bye through to the final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a horrible feeling we're going to lose 2-1...and I really don't want to have that horrible feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5-2 England win in traditional FM fashion. Huzzah, break out the banners and arise Sir Gareth. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1. Unbeaten against Colombia in all time head to head record

2. Unbeaten in all World Cup matches which have immediately followed after a game against Belgium

3. Unbeaten against South American teams that aren't Argentian or Brazil in the Round of 16

 

Plus how many of these Colombian lads would get into our 23 innit.  Maybe James, Falcao and the fat lad.

It's coming home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sc91 said:

5-2 England win in traditional FM fashion. Huzzah, break out the banners and arise Sir Gareth. 

I like it. Let's do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

England will probably have huge issues with their left flank. Cuadrado will abuse Young and Maguire whole game long.

What makes you think that? Young is pretty strong defensively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only just remembered that Ashley Young missed a penalty at Euro 2012.  What price him smashing one in and doing a Stuart Pearce?  Redemption.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would start Rose ahead of Young. Balance to the team, both going forward and defensively.

******** it big time now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Anthrax Dave said:

I would start Rose ahead of Young. Balance to the team, both going forward and defensively.

I would also do this but for different reasons. As much as I think Young is altogether pretty good in the wing back role, I really think Cuadrado could take the **** out of him today, and we probably need a little bit more pace in that role, which Rose gives us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

American ref Mark Geiger takes charge.  Did Portugal v Morocco and South Korea v Germany in the group stage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Only reason I'd play Rose is that Young is a bit too predictable cutting inside when going forward. Defensively, no issues with him. I'd start Young though because as someone said, Rose isn't quite hitting the heights of his red hot form a couple of years ago at the moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's a long time since I've been nervous about a game. Part of me wants it to be 9pm so I can get it over with.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1-1 after 90, Kane will obviously score and Quintero to probably score a worldie. The lord and saviour then scores another in ET to send us through.

We then underestimate Switzerland/Sweden and go crashing out. Then it's coming home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wigmore said:

Do we actually have to go through this again? I don't want to have to go through this again, especially now that this time we have actually do have a hope :( 

It's the hope that kills ya! 

:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, elgreenio said:

we're due a win in a penalty shootout.....

Think we all said that the last time we lost one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, elgreenio said:

we're due a win in a penalty shootout.....

Let's not blow our beans early on that one. We might need it for the final...

Let's just win it comfortably in 90.

Edited by ginnybob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Sun classy as always:

capathesun.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PaulHartman71 said:

DhL7r4YWkAUwfpt.jpg

I'm going to enjoy is so much when England crash out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

I'm going to enjoy is so much when England crash out.

:D Such a football hipster. IF England win, I'm sure you'll be happy at least a little bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Readingfanman said:

:D Such a football hipster. IF England win, I'm sure you'll be happy at least a little bit.

Hipster :lol:

The **** I am.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Hipster :lol:

The **** I am.

You'll be supporting teams from Gibraltar or Nigeria or something soon enough :D 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Readingfanman said:

You'll be supporting teams from Gibraltar or Nigeria or something soon enough :D 

Teams that are actually part of FIFA? No way. I'm all about silly made up countries like Cascadia :cool:.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also fwiw I really don't think it's that odd to have no pleasure in supporting a national side that makes me think of stuff like Brexit, EDL, Islamophobia, and idiots like my cousins partner :D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can see this being 1-0 either way with England being the more likely to win it. But not an easy game by any stretch

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a sneaky feeling this will end up 2-0 to Colombia. Goalkeeper howler followed by a late goal on the counter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I miss the days of us being laughably woeful. Likeable wankers making it gutting if we lose instead of funny :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Pukey said:

I miss the days of us being laughably woeful. Likeable wankers making it gutting if we lose instead of funny :( 

Yeah. The fact that we actually have a likeable manager and a pretty likeable squad who seem to relish playing for their country coupled with the way the tournament has opened up for us is going to be proper gutting if we don't make at least the semis. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Also fwiw I really don't think it's that odd to have no pleasure in supporting a national side that makes me think of stuff like Brexit, EDL, Islamophobia, and idiots like my cousins partner :D.

 

Nah see I think this is nonsense. Groups like the EDL have damaged both the reputation and connotations of the English flag, but we can reclaim it. Don't let the pond-life win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Henderson alone scares me a little bit, but Lingard and Alli's movement so important.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Constantine said:

Cuadrado vs Young will be fun...

They said the same thing vs Salah. Young pocketed him for 90+ mins. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...