Sports Interactive Community
decapitated

Round of 16: Belgium versus Japan

Just now, JDownie said:

I agree he was below par overall today, yes. Mostly down to Japan's brilliant pressing and shape. He still played a big part in the win though and ultimately he's had a say despite being poor, the sign of a world class player (Kroos v Sweden another example). 

That's a lazy cliché really. KDB and Kroos are undoubtedly both world class players. Their performances against Japan and Sweden are exceptions rather than reasons they're world class. By that logic Chadli is world class after today.

I don't even disagree that he can throw his hat into the Ballon d'Or ring but it'd take a big 3 games here. At the minute he's been a let down really, but I don't think the role suits him.

Just now, G-Man11 said:

Yeah I was thinking I only really had memories of you posting on OTF, I just assumed you mostly posted boring innocuous stuff on FF before then. 

No you were always a city megafan dick, you just didn't bother posting about it :D.

Pretty much :lol:

my interest in football grew in the last 3 years because I went from working a job where I couldn't watch any football through the week or at weekends, to being able to watch all games more or less. Sorry about that :(

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

That's a lazy cliché really. KDB and Kroos are undoubtedly both world class players. Their performances against Japan and Sweden are exceptions rather than reasons they're world class. By that logic Chadli is world class after today.

I don't even disagree that he can throw his hat into the Ballon d'Or ring but it'd take a big 3 games here. At the minute he's been a let down really, but I don't think the role suits him.

He can have 2nd place as it's clearly going to be Godin after he leads to Uruguay to WC glory anyway :cool:

2 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

He can have 2nd place as it's clearly going to be Godin after he leads to Uruguay to WC glory anyway :cool:

Let's be honest, it's FIFA. Ronaldo and Messi already have 1st and 2nd sewn up. 

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

Let's be honest, it's FIFA. Ronaldo and Messi already have 1st and 2nd sewn up. 

I could see Modrić getting the Ballon if he scores a couple more and wins the WC.

9 minutes ago, JDownie said:

I never posted in FF before February 2 years ago. 

Who can we blame for the change??

Just now, Andrew_ said:

Who can we blame for the change??

:lol:

like I said, I changed jobs meaning I could watch much more football, so I talked about it more in here, naturally. 

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I could see Modrić getting the Ballon if he scores a couple more and wins the WC.

I think that's a good shout. 

This year there is no obvious shout but by the end of the WC it could be clearer. 

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

:lol:

like I said, I changed jobs meaning I could watch much more football, so I talked about it more in here, naturally. 

Would they take you back at the old job? :brock:

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Too many ifs though!

Imagine if Brazil win and Neymar is named the best player of the competition, can he win the Ballon d'Or then?

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

Too many ifs though!

Imagine if Brazil win and Neymar is named the best player of the competition, can he win the Ballon d'Or then?

He didn't win the CL.

And he's not even Brazil's best player this tournament.

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He didn't win the CL.

And he's not even Brazil's best player this tournament.

I doubt the bold part will matter, he is the team's biggest star, so any title will be largely credited to him, even if he doesn't deserve it.

1 minute ago, PMLF said:

I doubt the bold part will matter, he is the team's biggest star, so any title will be largely credited to him, even if he doesn't deserve it.

Painfully accurate.

It's a largely pointless award that 9/10 goes to the biggest name for the winning team rather than the actual best player. 

I'm sure they think they can't give it to a player that say, went out in the semis as it would devalue the award. 

That's FIFA for ya!

What a game. Japan, alas, died on the pitch, like samurai. No victory, but wow... Why didn't you put a CB in after the 2. goal of Japan, Nishino?

57 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

Bit of a contradiction :D

I suppose, but they could have handled that last minute better.

33 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

It's a largely pointless award that 9/10 goes to the biggest name for the winning team rather than the actual best player. 

I'm sure they think they can't give it to a player that say, went out in the semis as it would devalue the award. 

That's FIFA for ya!

In the last two World Cup years the Ballon'd'Or was won by a player who didn't even reach the semifinal with his team.

And the Golden Ball for player of the tournament hasn't gone to a player from the winning side in the last 5 World Cups...

Edited by Orzelek

57 minutes ago, PMLF said:

Too many ifs though!

Casmiro will win the Balon D'Or if Brazil win. A World Cup and Champions League double. :brock:

I think he might need a goal in the World Cup just to make sure though.

12 minutes ago, Gorando said:

nah

You can't deserve to win if you score a goal like that in the last minute.

But if you look from the standpoint of both team's performances relative to their potential level, they did.

Japan played out of their minds, the best they could do.

While on the other hand Belgium played terribly compared to the level it's expected of them and went through by hoofing it in the box.

11 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Casmiro will win the Balon D'Or if Brazil win. A World Cup and Champions League double. :brock:

I think he might need a goal in the World Cup just to make sure though.

Marcelo on for this too then :D

il y a 21 minutes, Orzelek a dit :

And the Golden Ball for player of the tournament hasn't gone to a player from the winning side in the last 5 World Cups... 

Which is crazy, if you think about it, as this award is clearly team performance related (and given before the final) : 4 of the last 5 recipient lost the final!!

Honestly, the 2018 Ballon d'or will be Cristiano, whoever win the WC. If in 2010 neither Sneijder nor Iniesta got it, then there is no reason it's given to a WC winner this year.

Neymar is the only one with a chance if Brazil win WC, and PSG start the season very strong in Champions League...

Difference being that in 2010 neither Iniesta or Sneijder won both CL and WC.

That's why I said Modrić.

Let's be honest the ballon d'Or is a joke now. The hype and circus around an individual award in a team game has gone overboard - not sure if because of modern football fans or the Messi-Cristiano rivalry. Probably a bit of both.

KDB has been put on another position, cause the defense of Belgium is to weak otherwise. He is more used as a Mezzala or an adavanced playmaker. I know it's a pity for such a good player, but it should be done. Definitely against Brazil or further.

8 hours ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Eh, his touch is actually a lot better than he's given credit for. Even then he was trying to play that straight though, nearly worked before it was picked off.

There's a perception still around him, despite the fact he's loses the ball to a poor touch considerably less per game than Salah, Mane and Jesus for example, and at the same rate as Aguero and Firmino

Some of it is because when his touch is bad, it's really bad. But yeah the rest of it is people confirming their biases.

Martinez will need to fix his defence/formation. If Japan can cut them open like this then Brazil definitely will.

I'm expecting Fellaini to start over Mertens with KDB higher up the pitch. Probably Chadli in for Carrasco as well because he was awful. 

Yeah can't see the same team playing against Brazil, Martinez can't expose the sides like he did last night 

Why did Japan commit to many forward?

Lukaku's dummy really made that, good stuff. Feel bad for Japan but didn't trust that keeper at all! Great drama

32 minutes ago, Razzler said:

Why did Japan commit to many forward?

It was refreshing to see though.

10 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Japan so classy, cleaned the dressing room and left a thank you note

tior7sV.jpg

Fans cleaning the stands as well

PX0MZTv.jpg

Cheers for that Bliss, I'd just got over it :(

14 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

tior7sV.jpg

PX0MZTv.jpg

So much respect for Japan. Everyone at the start of the tournament thought they'd be whipping boys but they got stuck in and can be extremely proud of their performance at this tournament.

13 hours ago, PMLF said:

Too many ifs though!

Yes, although it will not help he was out for three, four (?) months. 

5 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

tior7sV.jpg

PX0MZTv.jpg

They did this in Brazil 2014 as well and press and other fans here loved it.

21 hours ago, Rio_V said:

No offense to other Belgian players, but they need to get the ball to De Bruyne and let him make a play.

guess they finally understood this in the end hey

well spotted