Sports Interactive Community
decapitated

Round of 16: Belgium versus Japan

Terrible game management by Japan. I admire their enthusiasm but getting caught on the counter in the 94th minute of a WC knockout game at 2-2 is ****ing criminal.

Just now, JDownie said:

Let the football do the talking. 

Like Croatia, that was a big test of character and Belgium passed brilliantly. What a turnaround. 

True, a test of character.

But Belgium has shown yet again that they're incapable of defending even against average teams.

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Terrible game management by Japan. I admire their enthusiasm but getting caught on the counter in the 94th minute of a WC knockout game at 2-2 is ****ing criminal.

They were gassed. They would have lost that in extra time by a couple of goals

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

True, a test of character.

But Belgium has shown yet again that they're incapable of defending even against average teams.

But as they are proving, they can score goals from nowhere. That is a special trait and could mean they beat everyone... 

1 minute ago, Weezer said:

Yeah they had to sit back but they kept attacking and left themselves open.

4 minutes ago, Nordan said:

Japan deserved another 30 min. Their own fault though.

Bit of a contradiction :D

Just now, Heartwork said:

I hope the scouts were watching tonight's game. These guys can play at a higher level. Shouji should be in Europe.

Getting your own brand mixed up here Wands. You are supposed to be going on about how strong the Japanese league is, not talking about moving it's players on to bigger leagues.

Any other manager would surely abandon using these wing-backs vs Brazil, or at least opt out of using Carrasco but knowing Martinez he will stubbornly persist with it. Which tbf will lead to a great game for us neutrals :cool:.

Brazil vs Belgium is going to be good, I bet Brazil will win 2-0 again.

4 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They were gassed. They would have lost that in extra time by a couple of goals

Then you shut up shop and try to get through to penalties. Not throw everybody forward for a 94th minute corner when your average height is 5 foot 7 :D 

Just now, ArsenalFan7 said:

Chadli can do one for not ripping his top off when I need a card for my bet :D 

Belgians breaking many hearts tonight :D

Just now, JDownie said:

But as they are proving, they can score goals from nowhere. That is a special trait and could mean they beat everyone... 

Nowhere?

First goal happens once every couple of years, second goal came from a cross where noone could match Fellaini or Lukaku in the air and third goal is a textbook counter against terribly positioned Japan team.

Of course they could beat anyone, but with this defense Brazil is certain to score a couple against them, while on the other hand I can see Brazil holding them easily.

2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

The only thing Far East teams are good at is determination. The rest is naivety.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Nowhere?

First goal happens once every couple of years, second goal came from a cross where noone could match Fellaini or Lukaku in the air and third goal is a textbook counter against terribly positioned Japan team.

Of course they could beat anyone, but with this defense Brazil is certain to score a couple against them, while on the other hand I can see Brazil holding them easily.

So the first was a goal from nowhere? Thanks for clearing that up. 

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

Getting your own brand mixed up here Wands. You are supposed to be going on about how strong the Japanese league is, not talking about moving it's players on to bigger leagues.

Any other manager would surely abandon using these wing-backs vs Brazil, or at least opt out of using Carrasco but knowing Martinez he will stubbornly persist with it. Which tbf will lead to a great game for us neutrals :cool:.

Nah man I'm all about getting players who are too big for their leagues into a higher level. Based on today alone, Shouji can play in the Premier League (obviously not for one of the top clubs but could easily do a job for a mid-table team). Obviously I don't know about his consistency but he impressed me a lot. Some fantastic blocks.

Just now, JDownie said:

So the first was a goal from nowhere? Thanks for clearing that up. 

Scoring from nowhere = top class player, in this case KDB or Hazard, creates a goal out of nothing with an amazing pass or shot.

2 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Then you shut up shop and try to get through to penalties. Not throw everybody forward for a 94th minute corner when your average height is 5 foot 7 :D 

They wouldn't have made to pens. Belgium were swarming it and it was a matter of time. 

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

They wouldn't have made to pens. Belgium were swarming it and it was a matter of time. 

Maybe, maybe not. It's happened enough times in this World Cup though and it was their best chance. It was extremely naive.

Big respect to Japan :applause: 

Who would've thought that this would turn out to be one of the best games in the whole tournament? :D 

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

15305617668931191947997.thumb.jpg.a29694e8d71353171f4f23c0d6668a0a.jpg

BBC blaming de Bruyne for the 2nd goal when that's not even him :D

We get it...You don't like criticism of City players :D

2 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

We get it...You don't like criticism of City players :D

Let's be fair if we are going to bash anyone for always making it about City it has to be JD.

KDB takes the Balon d'Or after winning the World Cup and Golden Ball this summer :thup:

Just now, G-Man11 said:

Let's be fair if we are going to bash anyone for always making it about City it has to be JD.

Not always. Like 95% of the time. 

Just now, JDownie said:

KDB takes the Balon d'Or after winning the World Cup and Golden Ball this summer :thup:

I know you're not serious but rich after a poor game (and so far tournament) by KDB by his standards.

2 minutes ago, scott MUFC said:

Fellaini Elbows V Neymar.. going to be fun

Witsel is known for that brutal leg break he did a while back.

Proud of Japan's performance. :applause:

Hope they do well in the Asian Cup next year. They were easily the best Asian team at the World Cup and should be favourites for that now.

1 minute ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

I know you're not serious but rich after a poor game (and so far tournament) by KDB by his standards.

He created 9 chances in the first 2 games. He's not having a bad tournament at all. Considering Belgium don't play to his strengths at all, he's still having a big impact in the goals Belgium are scoring and the chances they are creating. 

But yes I wasn't being totally serious. If he does win the World Cup though, he could perhaps win Balon d'Or as he has had a fantastic year so far. 

3 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

3 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Practically at the same time as my post...

Case in point :D.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

100% of the time. I'm not complaining, but dude you definitely can't help it :D 

I'm not denying that I do it a lot. But all the time definitely isn't correct. And I'm not a troll unlike other posters at least :thup:

Edited by JDownie

Just now, G-Man11 said:

Practically at the same time as my post...

Case in point :D.

What's that got to do with City? :D

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Witsel is known for that brutal leg break he did a while back.

Which player is gonna kill Neymar? Place your bets

1 minute ago, JDownie said:

He created 9 chances in the first 2 games. He's not having a bad tournament at all. Considering Belgium don't play to his strengths at all, he's still having a big impact in the goals Belgium are scoring and the chances they are creating. 

But yes I wasn't being totally serious. If he does win the World Cup though, he could perhaps win Balon d'Or as he has had a fantastic year so far. 

Yes by some standards. By his own he's way below the standard he set at City.

Sorry, I'm a big fan of his, but he needs to do more. He played 1 great pass today and aside from that did nothing really.

2 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

100% of the time. I'm not complaining, but dude you definitely can't help it :D 

He's only started in the last couple of years. It's like a switch flipped after Pep came and he decided to lord it like a dick instead of be a normal poster any more :D.

Just now, EnterUsernameHere said:

Yes by some standards. By his own he's way below the standard he set at City.

Sorry, I'm a big fan of his, but he needs to do more. He played 1 great pass today and aside from that did nothing really.

I agree he was below par overall today, yes. Mostly down to Japan's brilliant pressing and shape. He still played a big part in the win though and ultimately he's had a say despite being poor, the sign of a world class player (Kroos v Sweden another example). 

Just now, G-Man11 said:

He's only started in the last couple of years. It's like a switch flipped after Pep came and he decided to lord it like a dick instead of be a normal poster any more :D.

I never posted in FF before February 2 years ago. 

Just now, JDownie said:

I never posted in FF before February 2 years ago. 

Yeah I was thinking I only really had memories of you posting on OTF, I just assumed you mostly posted boring innocuous stuff on FF before then. 

No you were always a city megafan dick, you just didn't bother posting about it :D.