Jump to content

Round of 16: Brazil vs Mexico


Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

Fellaini to come on in the 70th minute, Neymar leaving on a stretcher in the 71st...

Genuinely at the point where I would have no problem with him just getting absolutely creamed out the world cup

Yeah, like @Wigmore said, you don't want to wish harm on anyone but if Neymar were to suffer a serious injury you wouldn't really have an issue with it. 

The things that happened to Eduardo and Ramsey happening to Neymar wouldn't be the worst thing that could happen to football. The boy who cried wolf though, one day he'll have a serious injury and nobody will believe him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Readingfanman said:

Even if Belgium dont knock Brazil out. Uruguay will ruin them in a semi final :cool: 

Godin's going to roast him alive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

I think they should introduce a new rule that if a player spends more than 30 seconds on the ground after a challenge, they have to go off to receive treatment just like if a physio comes on, and can't return until the referee allows them. Brazil will end up with 3 players left on the pitch.

 

That's not a bad idea at all :thup: 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Another thing that annoys me is how the pundits are so obsessed with Brazil that they always completely overlook how pathetically weak they are.

I think it goes both ways... some people overhype Brazil/Neymar... but some are so disgusted by the theatrics, or compare this Brazil to the teams of Brazil gone, that we under appreciate how good they are. I enjoyed the game... Brazil showed more than any team how to be solid at the back and create plenty of attacks (like Spain but with a shot at the end, the amount of times they were camped in the final third)... it was a very efficient win.

this kinda sums it up for me.

17:00

Post update

Brazil 2-0 Mexico

Neymar has attempted the most shots (23) and shots on target (12), as well as creating the most goalscoring chances for his team-mates (16) and suffering the most fouls (23) at the 2018 World Cup.

He's certainly been involved. It's a shame about the theatrics.

Edited by westy8chimp
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

I think they should introduce a new rule that if a player spends more than 30 seconds on the ground after a challenge, they have to go off to receive treatment just like if a physio comes on, and can't return until the referee allows them. Brazil will end up with 3 players left on the pitch.

Yeah I agree. 

I also suggested we introduce a rule where if a player go down holding his face/head, he must take a minimum of 5 mins at the side while being assessed for concussion with the possibility of ending his game. 

It would stop these ***** going down holding their face when a flailing finger nail clips their chin. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Casemiro suspension could prove huge for the France game.

Not sure that Fernandinho still has the physical capacity to go against Pogba-Kante-Matuidi for 90mins.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Orzelek said:

 

It really is weird. The only world class player they ever produced is Hugo Sánchez. 

Marquez is arguably another.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Casemiro suspension could prove huge for the France game.

Not sure that Fernandinho still has the physical capacity to go against Pogba-Kante-Matuidi for 90mins.

Casemiro will miss the game against Belgium or Japan.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

How did I manage to mess that up.

:ackter:

Anyhow, still a big miss.

Yes, I don't think Fernandinho is anywhere near as good but maybe he will still be enough.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

How did I manage to mess that up.

:ackter:

Anyhow, still a big miss.

Fernandinho should be starting ahead of Paulinho anyhow. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, scott MUFC said:

can't stand Neymar

I think Neymar's antics have made Brazil one of the least popular teams left in the WC among fans. People want them to lose because they have no self respect on the pitch.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Even if Belgium dont knock Brazil out. Uruguay will ruin them in a semi final :cool: 

I'm not sure they'll get past France or Brazil if Cavani is injured.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Heartwork said:

I think Neymar's antics have made Brazil one of the least popular teams left in the WC among fans. People want them to lose because they have no self respect on the pitch.

It's always like this:

2010 - Brazil is not sympathetic because of Dunga's style
2014 - Brazil is not sympathetic because they think they have already won due to playing at home and because Neymar and Daniel Alves dive
2018 - Brazil is not sympathetic because of Neymar and other players diving.

The issue is that people think of Brazil as we were in 1970 or 1982.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PMLF said:

It's always like this:

2010 - Brazil is not sympathetic because of Dunga's style
2014 - Brazil is not sympathetic because they think they have already won due to playing at home and because Neymar and Daniel Alves dive
2018 - Brazil is not sympathetic because of Neymar and other players diving.

The issue is that people think of Brazil as we were in 1970 or 1982.

Brazilian players being cheating dicks is a pretty valid reason to not like them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, decapitated said:

I'm not sure they'll get past France or Brazil if Cavani is injured.

The winners of Uruguay-France will be in the World Cup Final. Calling it now. I actually think it'd be great to see a France-England final but I don't think that's likely.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Heartwork said:

Brazilian players being cheating dicks is a pretty valid reason to not like them.

I am not saying it isn't, I meant the expectations people have are unrealistic as they think we are like we were in 1970 or 1982.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Heartwork said:

The winners of Uruguay-France will be in the World Cup Final. Calling it now. I actually think it'd be great to see a France-England final but I don't think that's likely.

Making the mistake of forgetting Belgium will be beating Brazil and France :D 🇧🇪🇧🇪

Link to post
Share on other sites

I begin wishing Brazil to be gently kicked out of the tournament because I'm sick of Neymar acting as an italian pussy everytime he's barely touched.

We are the undisputed kings of faking an imminent death and that skill is copyrighted!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, PMLF said:

I am not saying it isn't, I meant the expectations people have are unrealistic as they think we are like we were in 1970 or 1982.

I wasn't alive in those years so I couldn't care less about what they used to play like. I just hate how they play now. No self respect, win at all costs even if it means humiliating yourself with the world watching.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Heartwork said:

I wasn't alive in those years so I couldn't care less about what they used to play like. I just hate how they play now. No self respect, win at all costs even if it means humiliating yourself with the world watching.

Win at all costs has always been our way, only the tools to achieve that changed over the years.

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Marquez is arguably another.

Nah I don't think he was ever at that level. A good player yes, but not a world class guy.

New York fans were be hard pressed to say he was even good enough to play professionally :D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Federico said:

I begin wishing Brazil to be gently kicked out of the tournament because I'm sick of Neymar acting as an italian pussy everytime he's barely touched.

We are the undisputed kings of faking an imminent death and that skill is copyrighted!!

He's trying to take Pippo's throne.

7 minutes ago, PMLF said:

2010 - Brazil is not sympathetic because of Dunga's style
2014 - Brazil is not sympathetic because they think they have already won due to playing at home and because Neymar and Daniel Alves dive
2018 - Brazil is not sympathetic because of Neymar and other players diving. 

The issue is that people think of Brazil as we were in 1970 or 1982. 

1994-2006 squads were all fine.

I liked 2010 Brazil, actually.

In 2014 Brazil wins the opening game with refereeing help and Neymar should've got a red for elbowing Modrić.
They instantly made themselves unlikeable.

I actually like this Brazil squad, except for Neymar. Alves not being on the squad also helps.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Nah I don't think he was ever at that level. A good player yes, but not a world class guy.

New York fans were be hard pressed to say he was even good enough to play professionally :D.

Marquez is close. So is Chicha, but I agree that Hugo Sanchez is the only pure world class player to emerge from Mexico. I have to say it again...how is that possible?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

Nah I don't think he was ever at that level. A good player yes, but not a world class guy.

New York fans were be hard pressed to say he was even good enough to play professionally :D.

Well I didn't say it was an argument that anyone had ever won ;). I still don't think he was that far off (and definitely a lot closer than Chicharito), not that there is a clear definition anyway.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

He's trying to take Pippo's throne.

1994-2006 squads were all fine.

I liked 2010 Brazil, actually.

In 2014 Brazil wins the opening game with refereeing help and Neymar should've got a red for elbowing Modrić.
They instantly made themselves unlikeable.

I actually like this Brazil squad, except for Neymar. Alves not being on the squad also helps.

I like this 2018 squad too, the 2014 one was annoying and I didn't like the 2010 much. 2002 was very cool though as it included tons of Brazil-based players (12 ones against 11 'foreigners', I think), so it's my favorite squad this century, and not because they won in the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, martynlcfc said:

Marquez was probably touching world class back in his Barca days.

Chicharito nowhere near world class at any point in his career.

 

1 minute ago, deltablue said:

Well I didn't say it was an argument that anyone had ever won ;). I still don't think he was that far off (and definitely a lot closer than Chicharito), not that there is a clear definition anyway.

Yeah in my mind he was just that step below. I can certainly see an argument being made for it, though I wouldn't agree on it.

Chicharito even when he was at peak Utd wasn't even close though :D.

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Rio_V said:

Marquez is close. So is Chicha, but I agree that Hugo Sanchez is the only pure world class player to emerge from Mexico. I have to say it again...how is that possible?

Well I think organisation might play a part, and Mexico has tended to be a poorly-run country since colonial times with the Spanish happy to lord it over their estates without creating a stronger economic and commercial base, in contrast to the work put in in the English colonies further north. So much wasted potential as a country in general sadly.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Well I think organisation might play a part, and Mexico has tended to be a poorly-run country since colonial times with the Spanish happy to lord it over their estates without creating a stronger economic and commercial base, in contrast to the work put in in the English colonies further north. So much wasted potential as a country in general sadly.

I was wondering about that. I have no idea about their structure for football. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Fernandinho should be starting ahead of Paulinho anyhow. 

Not for me. He's a better player than Paulinho but more defensive which they don't need as well as Casemiro. 

I'm not a bit fan of Casemiro though, wouldn't be against him replacing him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, deltablue said:

Well I think organisation might play a part, and Mexico has tended to be a poorly-run country since colonial times with the Spanish happy to lord it over their estates without creating a stronger economic and commercial base, in contrast to the work put in in the English colonies further north. So much wasted potential as a country in general sadly.

 

Just now, Rio_V said:

I was wondering about that. I have no idea about their structure for football. 

Mexico is not too different from the rest of Latin America when it comes to its colonization, although Mexico is arguably historically more politically, at least until the mid 1910s. But that was before football grew fast there.

It's hard to say why Mexico does not do better, but I think their time of success will come sooner or later.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

And yet again I have to ask why Gabriel Jesus hasn't been dropped. Another game won in spite of him, He's been a passenger in all 4 games now. 

He's not playing amazingly well, but the service to him isn't great. His runs are often completely ignored (looks at Neymar)

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Not for me. He's a better player than Paulinho but more defensive which they don't need as well as Casemiro. 

I'm not a bit fan of Casemiro though, wouldn't be against him replacing him.

If Fernandinho is there then Coutinho can push further forward where he is more effective. Right now he is playing a more central midfield role instead of an attacking mid. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bflaff said:

 

 

15 minutes ago, Paul Bacon said:

Is there a video of Neymar dive? Heard about it on Facebook not seen it yet

Doesn't show the actual contact but it wasn't a stamp- it was a resting stud on his ankle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

He's not playing amazingly well, but the service to him isn't great. His runs are often completely ignored (looks at Neymar)

True but that's why I said to PMLF the other day Firmino makes so much more sense because he occupies the defenders in a different way while dropping deeper instead of running in behind. Better link up play too and better presser.

Everything Gabriel Jesus is better than Firmino at doesn't fit in this Brazil side.

The argument that he looked better pre-tournament was fine but it makes less and less sense as the tournament goes on and Gabriel sticks out as a poor fit.

Edited by EnterUsernameHere
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, JDownie said:

If Fernandinho is there then Coutinho can push further forward where he is more effective. Right now he is playing a more central midfield role instead of an attacking mid. 

He's been pulling the strings there though, also Paulinho's runs from deep cause havoc 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to ask why does such a talented player have to be such a disgusting person, but having said that I answered it myself. It's a matter of character. He doesn't have one

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...