Round 16: Spain v Russia

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've not agreed with all the ball to hand penalties but that one definitely was for me.  I'm fine with jumping arms raised but he left it high longer than necessary, even looked like his arm started to come down and he raised it again

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

This atmosphere is ****ing terrible for an unfancied host nation.

Obviously jinxed it :D Though even the goal celebrations looked fairly muted tbh.  Feels like a proper crowd of day trippers.

1 minute ago, The_jagster said:

He clearly leaves his hand up knowing what he's doing imo

Even if he's not doing it to think "ooh I might stop a shot with my hand" it's an unnatural position. You can seem him jump and his right arm goes down, so on that basis it's a penalty.

Although I think you're right as well and he knew exactly what he was doing, which begs the question as to how thick is he when so many have been given for similar and much more debatable incidents.

1 minute ago, G-Man11 said:

Obviously jinxed it :D Though even the goal celebrations looked fairly muted tbh.  Feels like a proper crowd of day trippers.

Doesn't even feel like a home crowd. Feels like everyone is rooting for spain

2 minutes ago, G-Man11 said:

This is pretty normal in a WC though, Brazilian fans in the 2014 WC were nothing like the usual people who go to the stadiums here, same thing must be true in Russia now.

Just now, PMLF said:

This is pretty normal in a WC though, Brazilian fans in the 2014 WC were nothing like the usual people who go to the stadiums here, same thing must be true in Russia now.

Yeah, knockout phase tickets are too expensive for your average football fan in countries like Brazil or Russia.

things just ticking over nicely.

at this rate all we have to do is turn up for the Final vs France. even then with the way things are going Mbappe will break his leg... Griezmann will have the runs and half the French defence will be suspended.

will the bus tour go around the country?

Dull game so far, especially when compared to yesterday's two games. In general Russia looks poor and Spain looks like not bothered to do more then the minimum required.

The penalty was definitely good for the game, as it might give Russia some more hope and also forces Spain to do something now.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

Yeah, knockout phase tickets are too expensive for your average football fan in countries like Brazil or Russia.

That and club fans are not so attached to the national team (at least in Brazil), while many casual fans or people who don't even like football much buy tickets for big events like the WC.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Yup hence 'day trippers'. Basically middle class families turning up for the occasion rather than major football fans. Inevitable but **** :(.

Mexican wave in probably your only ever home knock-out WC tie is just pathetic, no matter how boring Spain is.

Archived