Round of 16: France v Argentina (1500BST)

Rob1981

image.png.1cfe74ab2b7ae01c10825bb5a0ce4d0d.pngimage.png.f161d62b91fbf0635124116426e1a794.png

Round of 16: France v Argentina (1500BST)

Venue: Kazan

World Cup previous: Two past meetings between these two in the groups stages in 1930 and 1978.  Argentina got the better of Les Bleus on both occasions.

The build up: Knockout round starts with a heavyweight clash straight off the bat, the first meeting at this World Cup between two former winners.  Both have looked uninspiring so far, but Argentina carry some momentum into this game after beating Nigeria on Tuesday whereas already-qualified France picked up two early wins without playing well and could afford to change half their team for a bore draw against Denmark.  No suspensions for either side but Benjamin Mendy has been ruled out for France through injury.  Uruguay or Portugal await the winners in Friday's quarter final.

The betting: Result in 90 minutes -  France 7/5, Draw 21/10, Argentina 5/2.  To qualify - France 4/6, Argentina 11/10.

• Replies 530
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After tonight, I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to a Quarter Final meeting between Barcelona's finest and Madrid's finest.

That's Luis Suárez and Antoine Griezmann, obviously. :D

My head says France will take this 2-1, but my heart really wants Argentina to send Les Bleus packing.

Messi probably playing up front, like I suggested should happen a couple of days ago. Tactical mastermind. :cool:

Even though I've been shi**ing on Sampaoli and Argentina for months now, I simply can't support France in any sport, regardless of who're they playing against.

But they should win this easily.

Anyhow, vamos Argentina! Everyone hop on the hype train!

As someone else here said when the groups are confirmed, this should either be where France wake up and absolutely demolish Argentina's powder puff defence or they play like they did in the group stages, go out and nobody misses their absolute waste of talent - win win for fans

5 minutes ago, EnterUsernameHere said:

Pavón starts. Messi false 9.

Sometimes I think Sampaoli reads my inputs on this forum.

Spoiler

That's why they're so bad.

Dg8LJsEXcAAVtQH.jpg:large

Matuidi on the left wing again.
Deschamps really trying to take the title of biggest turd from Sampaoli.

4 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Sometimes I think Sampaoli reads my inputs on this forum.

Reveal hidden contents

That's why they're so bad.

Dg8LJsEXcAAVtQH.jpg:large

Matuidi on the left wing again.
Deschamps really trying to take the title of biggest turd from Sampaoli.

Sampaoli trained with Messi false 9 before you said they should do it ;)

Just now, Marc Albrighton said:

I know Sampaoli has deserved the criticism but hes in such a **** position now, he will take none of the credit but all of the blame.

Both managers under pressure, neither one has a lot of support at home.

4 hours ago, CFuller said:

After tonight, I'm sure we'll all be looking forward to a Quarter Final meeting between Barcelona's finest and Madrid's finest.

That's Luis Suárez and Antoine Griezmann, obviously. :D

My head says France will take this 2-1, but my heart really wants Argentina to send Les Bleus packing.

Griezmann is staying at Atleti :)

both dire teams to watch. If I had to choose I would want France through as they're more likely to make a game interesting (unless it's Argentina getting tonked). Watching but expecting a 1-0. 

Archived