England V Belgium 1900 BST ITV1 + Tunisia V Panama ITV4

decapitated

• Replies 648
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Mark H said:

you play whoever you play, and I wouldn't want to try and manipulate that. 

Why not though?

How many times have a team won the FA Cup and everyone says "well they only won it because they had a good run to the final". It's widely accepted that drawing comparatively weaker teams in a cup run increases the odds of winning the tournament, and it's a great feeling when the team you support get such luck.

Imagine being able to control that, how amazing would that be! You can actually choose to play a weaker team if you like! Dependant on this afternoon, England could have the opportunity to make that choice, and they absolutely should. I mean, why wouldn't you?

I feel like some sort of Nigel Farage character in this thread. Plenty of people saying "we should rotate", "we shouldn't actively try to win" but, with the exception of myself, stopping well short of saying you know what we should try to make sure we lose this game... which we should!

10 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

Why not though?

How many times have a team won the FA Cup and everyone says "well they only won it because they had a good run to the final". It's widely accepted that drawing comparatively weaker teams in a cup run increases the odds of winning the tournament, and it's a great feeling when the team you support get such luck.

Imagine being able to control that, how amazing would that be! You can actually choose to play a weaker team if you like! Dependant on this afternoon, England could have the opportunity to make that choice, and they absolutely should. I mean, why wouldn't you?

I feel like some sort of Nigel Farage character in this thread. Plenty of people saying "we should rotate", "we shouldn't actively try to win" but, with the exception of myself, stopping well short of saying you know what we should try to make sure we lose this game... which we should!

I genuinely get your reasoning, and part of me likes it. But I don't know how you train that into the players. I would just play to win, and whatever will be will be. Cheers for the food for thought tho (Y)

55 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Yeah I saw that but there's bound to be a booking or two in the game and they have to prove it was deliberate. Are they just going to assume any yellows in the game were pre-planned? 

The odd thing about it is that it's probably an incentive to do some deliberate bad tackling, because that looks much less like a cynical deliberate booking than timewasting or kicking the ball away

You are bound to play one or more of the stronger sides in the competition anyway at some point. Conversely, don't you want to beat the best competitive teams anyway so there is no doubt you deserved to win the competition? 

5 minutes ago, AJJ said:

Conversely, don't you want to beat the best competitive teams anyway so there is no doubt you deserved to win the competition? 

That would be ideal, but this is England we're talking about, and I haven't watched us win a knockout game in 12 years. I just want us to get deep into the tournament by any means necessary :D 

17 minutes ago, Wigmore said:

That would be ideal, but this is England we're talking about, and I haven't watched us win a knockout game in 12 years. I just want us to get deep into the tournament by any means necessary :D 

Agreed - if we win the World Cup, who the **** cares who we beat?

Martinez is going for it:

Roberto Martinez: "We want to perform well but the priority is not to win.

"The reality is we put ourselves in this situation, we wanted to qualify and we have done that. There are players with yellow cards and I don't think it would be professional for us to put those players in a risk to miss the knockout phase.

"It is very important for us to protect and give every player the best possible programme to be in the best condition in the knockout game."

19 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Already told me mum that if England vs Belgium is a bore fest I'm turning over to Tunisia-Panama. Because neither side wants to go home with nothing they'll both be going all out and that should be entertaining.

Panama will be too busy kicking the **** out of their opponents. I don't think they know how else to play.

21 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

Already told me mum that if England vs Belgium is a bore fest I'm turning over to Tunisia-Panama. Because neither side wants to go home with nothing they'll both be going all out and that should be entertaining.

Shock, hispter.

14 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

"The reality is we put ourselves in this situation, we wanted to qualify and we have done that. There are players with yellow cards and I don't think it would be professional for us to put those players in a risk to miss the knockout phase.

"It is very important for us to protect and give every player the best possible programme to be in the best condition in the knockout game."

WTF? I missed that. Even if you don't say it to your team it can't do wonders. 

LADS, lose this one because you can't beat Brazil or France in the quarters. 

It's pretty pathetic and that's my concern, I wouldn't lose for my 5aside team if someone told me we would get a slightly easier tie in the next round... MADNESS :D:D

Also, how do the players understand that. Let England in. 

'Yo, KOMPANY, HERE!' 'Let Vardy past you if he gets in' 

'If you get chance to make a tackle, dive out of it' 

Or is it all a deliberate ruse to make us comfy and then to smash us!? 

18 minutes ago, Tiger666 said:

Whether we as fans think it or perhaps even behind close doors England think it, but to come out and say that makes me think Belgium haven't got the right attitude to win it all. 

As wet as Neymar blubbering after the Costa Rica game.

Just now, ginnybob said:

Whether we as fans think it or perhaps even behind close doors England think it, but to come out and say that makes me think Belgium haven't got the right attitude to win it all. 

As wet as Neymar blubbering after the Costa Rica game.

This. I'd be well annoyed if my manager told me to lose, shows no belief you can beat any team to become World Champions... 

10 minutes ago, TM said:

Dgysdc6WkAE0QVQ.jpg:large

striking pair are simply a 12 year old's dream in FIFA, lots of pace.  Don't think they'd use Cahill or Jones though at the back

I count 6 players who can (or have primarily) operate as defenders in that starting XI.

Archived