Group E round 3 - Serbia vs Brazil and Switzerland vs Costa Rica

PMLF

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Pukey said:

**** what up? 

Are you guys even trying anymore? Is it my humour, maybe I should just stop.

If Kane is playing then he will want to score for the golden boot, if you guys get first in the group you get the harder part of the draw, you know what, let's just leave it.

Just now, Rob1981 said:

Also one of Spain, Croatia, Denmark or Russia are getting through, they only have three semi finals between them too.

Yes, so two historically not so successful teams in the semis. Very weird WC.

Just now, D_LO_ said:

Anyone who gets into the Semis will have deserved it (minus any refereeing **** ups). 

Sure, it's just odd though.

Well, blame the idiotic FIFA and their ranking system and number of teams from each continent.

Poland doesn't play friendlies for two years to get the first seed. But how did they even get to that first seed zone? They haven't done anything to warrant it.

Belgium's biggest recent success is quarter-finals in Euro with 24 teams. They're ranked as one of the world's best teams.

Wales was also ranked incredibly high compared to their actual level.

Russia got the first seed because they're hosting the tournament.

The only teams that could be argued against in the knockout round are Argentina, Denmark, Russia and Japan/Senegal.

England and Belgium basically got a free pass due to incredibly easy group. Put them into group B, D, E, F instead of one European nation and who knows what happens.

Just now, PMLF said:

Sure, it's just odd though.

There's usually a few surprising Quarter Finalists. Ghana, Paraguay, Costa Rica in recent years spring to mind. When the last 16 is halved I'm sure there will still be plenty of the usual suspects.

5 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Well, blame the idiotic FIFA and their ranking system and number of teams from each continent.

Poland doesn't play friendlies for two years to get the first seed. But how did they even get to that first seed zone? They haven't done anything to warrant it.

Belgium's biggest recent success is quarter-finals in Euro with 24 teams. They're ranked as one of the world's best teams.

Wales was also ranked incredibly high compared to their actual level.

Russia got the first seed because they're hosting the tournament.

The only teams that could be argued against in the knockout round are Argentina, Denmark, Russia and Japan/Senegal.

England and Belgium basically got a free pass due to incredibly easy group. Put them into group B, D, E, F instead of one European nation and who knows what happens.

B or F? Spain and Portugal should have strolled through that group and I don't think Germany's group was particularly special either. There were only 3 groups in which there was a serious argument for decent depth and definitely no 'group of death' this year.

Host nation has always been first seed, at least since I remember and it's good for the tournament and should continue.

Tbh you're pointing fingers in all the wrong places. There's just a lot of very average national teams lacking quality knocking around. That's the real problem. 

2 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

B or F? Spain and Portugal should have strolled through that group and I don't think Germany's group was particularly special either. There were only 3 groups in which there was a serious argument for decent depth and definitely no 'group of death' this year. 

Both Spain and Portugal had major issues against Morocco, if Iran didn't score that 90min winner against them, it would be a completely different situation.
They also barely beat Iran that's couple of classes above Tunisia when it comes to defending.

Just because those teams are named Morocco and Iran doesn't mean anything.

But overall point being that together with group A, group H was by far the easiest when it comes actually qualifying.

There are always teams lacking quality, it's just that no supposedly top team is showing what they should.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Both Spain and Portugal had major issues against Morocco, if Iran didn't score that 90min winner against them, it would be a completely different situation.
They also barely beat Iran that's couple of classes above Tunisia when it comes to defending.

Just because those teams are named Morocco and Iran doesn't mean anything.

But overall point being that together with group A, group H was by far the easiest when it comes actually qualifying.

There are always teams lacking quality, it's just that no supposedly top team is showing what they should.

You're over-selling Morocco. Iran created the best chances, Morocco created very little all match so the 90th min OG was hardly a massive injustice.

What's names got to do with it? Iran and Morocco seriously lacked any quality in creating chances and definitely in the final third. 

If Spain and Portugal performed anywhere near to their capabilities they've have walked the group. 

Just now, D_LO_ said:

You're over-selling Morocco. Iran created the best chances, Morocco created very little all match so the 90th min OG was hardly a massive injustice. 

I'm not over-selling them or comparing them to England and Belgium.
And I didn't say it was injustice.
They scored two against Spain, hit the bar once, had few more chances.
Portugal defended against them for the whole second half.

I'm comparing them to Panama and Tunisia. Both Morocco and Iran are a lot better than Panama or Tunisia.
Panama and Tunisia just tried to concede as few goals as possible.

And I didn't say England or Belgium wouldn't qualify from that group, I'm just saying that we won't probably see the true stregth of either team until the first knockout round.
True, England's offensive gameplan is miles ahead of anything we've seen over the past couple of tournaments and Belgium is stacked up front.
But against any competent counter-attacking team both England and Belgium will have a lot of issues because their defensive lines are anything  but solid.

16 minutes ago, D_LO_ said:

What's names got to do with it? Iran and Morocco seriously lacked any quality in creating chances and definitely in the final third. 

If Spain and Portugal performed anywhere near to their capabilities they've have walked the group. 

Well actually Iran caused Spain a fair few problems at the back when they actually went for them and they nearly knocked Portugal out in the last few minutes so they're a little better than you're implying there going forward. 

Just now, craigcwwe said:

Well actually Iran caused Spain a fair few problems at the back when they actually went for them and they nearly knocked Portugal out in the last few minutes so they're a little better than you're implying there going forward. 

They probably created 1, maybe 2 half-chances max. in either of those games. They did bugger all versus Portugal for about 88/89 minutes. Regardless desperation play with the opposition sitting on to a 1-0 isn't something I find particularly impressive anyway tbh.

The sides without much historic success between them being lined up for semi finals is mainly the consequence of sides like Germany(12), Italy(8) and the Netherlands(5) not being in the next round.

This was nothing to do with the draw, and everything to do with those teams being **** and not deserving to be in the knockout stages. Same goes for Argentina(5) not being in the bottom half of the draw because they barely deserved to get out of their group.

Archived