Group F Conclusion - Korea Republic VS Germany & Mexico VS Sweden (3pm BST)

Baptista_8

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I did not expect what is the weakest Swedish squad on paper since the mid nineties to advance to the second round. But teamwork, morale and organization always gives you a chance. Now who knows what can happen, would not bet against them against most teams in a one off match.

1 minute ago, Thengil said:

Well I did not expect what is the weakest Swedish squad on paper since the mid nineties to advance to the second round. But teamwork, morale and organization always gives you a chance. Now who knows what can happen, would not bet against them against most teams in a one off match.

Maybe no longer having a massive figurehead like Zlatan and before him Larsson is helping? You see how some teams are trying to funnel absolutely everything through their star player in this WC, which just makes them predictable. With no star Sweden can just focus on playing some football.

Just now, Readingfanman said:

Might be a little early for them to get too excited

Yes, that is the equivalent of posting the "it's happening" GIF, don't do that 2 hours before your own kickoff. :D 

1 minute ago, noikeee said:

Maybe no longer having a massive figurehead like Zlatan and before him Larsson is helping? You see how some teams are trying to funnel absolutely everything through their star player in this WC, which just makes them predictable. With no star Sweden can just focus on playing some football.

Yeah definetly and also going back to a manager who likes 4-4-2 and simple, hardworking football.

Absolutely shocking, they played just as bad as they did in the first game, as soon as I saw Özil and Khedira in the starting 11 i knew it wasnt going to go well, Goretzka out wide, what the hell? Löw was definately out of ideas, he needed to bring changes and he went straight back to his favourites, disappointed that they are out but geez, on those performances, deserved nothing, that was terrible, the team needs a big change and I think it has shown that Löw cannot provide it, the team needs the young fresh players pushed into the team and need to stop trying to carry the ball in the net and just have a fricking shot instead of trying to play it around a hundred times.

Hoping for change but I feel that Löw will still be there for the Euros with the same players.

19 minutes ago, DazRTaylor said:

Germany are OUT of the World Cup at the group stage for the first time since 1938.

I hope they take it better than they did that year.  😂

There was no group stage in 1938. It was straight knockout back then. :brock:

39 minutes ago, Goldy said:

Absolutely shocking, they played just as bad as they did in the first game, as soon as I saw Özil and Khedira in the starting 11 i knew it wasnt going to go well, Goretzka out wide, what the hell? Löw was definately out of ideas, he needed to bring changes and he went straight back to his favourites, disappointed that they are out but geez, on those performances, deserved nothing, that was terrible, the team needs a big change and I think it has shown that Löw cannot provide it, the team needs the young fresh players pushed into the team and need to stop trying to carry the ball in the net and just have a fricking shot instead of trying to play it around a hundred times.

Hoping for change but I feel that Löw will still be there for the Euros with the same players.

Brandt looked like one of the few players who was up for it. Played about 20 mins across 3 games.

1 hour ago, Thengil said:

I was actually worried since the draw was made that you'd beat us and grab second place behind the Germans. I was almost right ;)

Relieved more like, with Low in charge and the system not suiting him it was always going to be a struggle. Now with a new manager he can cement himself as a regular most likely.

(and I'm sure he finds it hilarious)

2 hours ago, DazRTaylor said:

Germany are OUT of the World Cup at the group stage for the first time since 1938.

I hope they take it better than they did that year.  😂

Worst German team in Russia since 1941. The closer they got to Moscow, the more it fell apart.

3 hours ago, noikeee said:

Sweden probably have their best goalkeeper/back four since 2004 or so. It also does help having a coach unlike the previous national team manager who was a disaster. And while Zlatan is by far the best Swedish player of the last decade, it's highly debatable whether Sweden on average was better with him on the pitch (several of our best results during the last decade was with Zlatan not playing). The national team's worsening in the late 00s (and not been particularly good since then) happens at the same time Fredrik Ljungberg stopped being a top class player. Sweden's problem during the last decade was definitely in a big part what you wrote about being too one-sided trying to involve the superstar too much.

Did Joachim Low make the decision to play Manuel Neuer on the left wing before Korea's second goal? Or did Neuer just decide to go forward, the lunatic. It was like the end of an ice hockey game where the loser withdraws his goalkeeper for an outfield player in the search for a goal.

8 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Did Joachim Low make the decision to play Manuel Neuer on the left wing before Korea's second goal? Or did Neuer just decide to go forward, the lunatic. It was like the end of an ice hockey game where the loser withdraws his goalkeeper for an outfield player in the search for a goal.

He's the manager, it's definitely his fault.

Him and 10 outfield players let Neuer go there, they packed a box and let a throw in be thrown to him.

It's not just a brainfart from Neuer it's a brainfart everyone on the pitch and bench at the time.

Amazing Neuer played as many games in the World Cup as he did for Bayern in 2017/18.

I think Ter Stegen should have started, Bernd Leno should have been called up as 2nd choice and then maybe bring Neuer for training sessions to continue getting him fit for the new season or something. His match-fitness would come in pre-season.

20 minutes ago, av3ry said:

Amazing Neuer played as many games in the World Cup as he did for Bayern in 2017/18.

I think Ter Stegen should have started, Bernd Leno should have been called up as 2nd choice and then maybe bring Neuer for training sessions to continue getting him fit for the new season or something. His match-fitness would come in pre-season.

I don't think the goalkeeper was a major issue over the tournament even if Neuer wasn't great today. You're right Ter Stegen probably should have been the 'keeper and should be the future. However Low keeps showing this unwavering loyalty and unless there's a change of management it wouldn't surprise me if Neuer stays number 1.

Have to say Leno has looked dodgy every time I've seen him. He's always got an error in him. As a Utd fan I was delighted when I saw Arsenal had signed him. 

:D:D:D

What an upset!

TBF though, Germany had been awful in their previous games, so it's a well-deserved kick in the nuts to a side that struggled with generational turnover. As, as other reigning champions, couldn't find the right balance between Old Heroes and New Blood.

Also, the lack of an actual striker didn't help one bit.

Kudos to Korea and Sweden for making it possible...

Ha, Sutton’s a dick but he’s right here. Never understood why goalkeepers get pushed upfield when looking for a late goal and outfield players get told to stay back. Leave the keeper back and send the outfield players up surely?

That was such great drama, Germany just looked flat the whole tournament. This is a team that sent a B Team to win the Confederations Cup, they were in everyone's top 3 or 4 to win it. I expect a lot of revisionism from 'experts' now about how they didn't think Germany would do well the whole time.

Germany looked slow and plodding, worse than Euro 2000 era Germany cause they probably have more 'star power'. I echo Werner knocking some 00's off his value here, Germany didn't have the terror of previous Germany sides.

A lot of people have been busy spaffing over Mexico but they were awful too, Sweden are a functional side but dealt with them handily. Who didn't love that final goal with the keeper pushed up? :D 

Welcome to being disappointed by football Germany!!

Where does all the 'Schadenfreude' (:D) actually comes from concerning the Germans being eliminated? When I for example see the frontpage of the Sun Sport, don't quite understand all the banter.

Also from FOX Brasil, little bit embarrassing actually.  Because obviously they still feel grudge for the 7-1 defeat. 

2 minutes ago, Cedrik said:

Where does all the 'Schadenfreude' (:D) actually comes from concerning the Germans being eliminated? When I for example see the frontpage of the Sun Sport, don't quite understand all the banter. 

Germany are a world class team that typically does very well, so seeing them go out a) is pretty funny and b) means they can't knock us out.

There's been a big rivalry between us for god knows how many years and they've beaten us so many times, so naturally the public and the press are enjoying it. Quite rightly too as well imo. What I've seen so far has been pretty good natured and well within the limits of "banter" (though I do hate that word :D)  

Well, absolutely no one is seriously saying 'it's coming home' in England, they never do, hasn't been said for years but it won't stop people saying 'it's coming home, lads' whenever we even score a goal as though this is the national mindset, getting giddy at the mere hint of positivity with the team. Reality is, England fans aren't remotely as clueless as that

9 minutes ago, Razzler said:

Well, absolutely no one is seriously saying 'it's coming home' in England, they never do, hasn't been said for years but it won't stop people saying 'it's coming home, lads' whenever we even score a goal as though this is the national mindset, getting giddy at the mere hint of positivity with the team. Reality is, England fans aren't remotely as clueless as that

I think it's great the fans are enjoying the success fwiw. I don't recall an England camp so calm and composed (probably since -96)?

It's not success, we haven't done anything yet.

We've played quite weak teams and despite being the much better team, got out of jail with a late goal (which isn't an issue as it's been a theme at this World Cup!) against Tunisia. We are just not used to be so relaxed after 2 group games and genuinely not too concerned who we play in the next round. I think 1982 is the last tournament we won our opening 2 games!

The stuff coming from the camp is all good but we have seen 'good stuff' coming from the camp in the past and it was full of posionous cliques and egos.

Archived