Sports Interactive Community
MB1974

Games was working fine, but now won't load

Hello, 

I've been playing FM18 with no problem for months, but tonight when I attempted to run the game, I received an error message and then a notification about a crash dump and an instruction to seek technical support.  

I've attached here the dialogue boxes that popped up as the game attempted to load, and also the crash dump file. 

When I initially clicked on the desktop shortcut to load up the game, it looked like an update was downloaded, and it seems like a bit of a coincidence that this problem then occurred... but it may be a coincidence! 

I looked at the troubleshooting option for the 'failed to find default database' error message, but proved to be a blind alley. The step-by-step didn't give me the option to say that the game had been working fine on Windows 10, which it has been for six months. 

Anyway, I hope I've included the necessary info here and this can be resolved. 

Thanks in advance, 

Mark

Dialogue box - Failed to find default database.jpg

Dialogue box - Serious error.jpg

FM 2018 v18.3.4.1093856 (2018.06.26 21.50.22).dmp

I've had the same issue today.  Steam did an update and then after update I got these two messages as well.  Had this issue a few weeks ago but following steps to fix XML errors, verifying files, and removing custom graphics that were through Steam Workshop seemed to resolve issue only to see it resurface today after update. 

Hi @MB1974, would you be able to upload your crash dump file for us to take a look at, they can be found in the following folder 'C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2018\crash dumps', the most recent one will do. Can you also verify your game cache as well, this can be done in steam by right clicking on FM18 > properties > local files > Verify integrity of game files. Also are you using custom graphics/skins of any type? This may be causing the issue, thanks.

@drslude would you be able to open up a new thread for your issue, which makes it easier for us to keep track of them.

25 minutes ago, Luke Rumble said:

Hi @MB1974, would you be able to upload your crash dump file for us to take a look at, they can be found in the following folder 'C:\Users\<YOUR USER NAME>\Documents\Sports Interactive\Football Manager 2018\crash dumps', the most recent one will do. Can you also verify your game cache as well, this can be done in steam by right clicking on FM18 > properties > local files > Verify integrity of game files. Also are you using custom graphics/skins of any type? This may be causing the issue, thanks.

@drslude would you be able to open up a new thread for your issue, which makes it easier for us to keep track of them.

Hi Luke, 

I think I have uploaded the crash dump file? Not the most technically adroit, I must admit, but I thought the link to the file included above is what was needed on that front? 

I'm not at my computer now, so I'll get the game cache info later. 

Also, on the point of custom graphics or skins, I downloaded face packs, trophy packs, club badges etc. months ago, and they've never caused a problem before now. 

Mark

Apologies Mark, that was my fault I completely missed the dump file you attached at the bottom of your original post. We have that now and are looking into it. As this is a new update the custom graphics may be causing issues where they weren't before and as they are not officially supported we would advise trying to run the game without them installed in the relevant folders, and again clearing your cache when you have the chance to may also help.

8 hours ago, Luke Rumble said:

Luke, 

I looked to verify the game cache as you asked. The outcome was that 22 files failed to validate and were going to be "reacquired". .. whatever that means!

Ok, I'm a little confused at this point. So, I moved the graphics folder out of the FM folder, then tried to load the game again, but no joy. Then, I moved the  game editor folder out, tried again, and this time the game loaded, BUT it was as if I was playing for the first time - no saved games were available and I had to create a new manager profile and start a new game. At that point, I figured that my saved game had been deleted, but when I saved the new game I saw that the old file names were still there. So, I tried to load up my saved game and I seem to have it running now, but I'm sceptical as to how likely it is to run smoothly from here...  

The reason why it would have looked like you were playing from new is because you had cleared your cache and preferences, these are the folders that have your manager information and settings stored. However your save games shouldn't be effected by clearing those. Good to hear it is now working. If you do get any other issues in the future just open a new thread.

7 hours ago, Luke Rumble said:

The reason why it would have looked like you were playing from new is because you had cleared your cache and preferences, these are the folders that have your manager information and settings stored. However your save games shouldn't be effected by clearing those. Good to hear it is now working. If you do get any other issues in the future just open a new thread.

Still working, so fingers crossed all is well now. Thanks for your help!

This may or may not need a new thread, but I'm guessing this new problem I'm about to report is linked to the issue I initially flagged here. 

As I said above, I've been able to retrieve and load my saved game, which is great, but I've just played my first match and stumbled upon a glitch. Basically, when I see highlights play out via the match engine, player names aren't being shown on screen, instead, when the ball reaches a player, it's just random letters that appear, as opposed to their name. Now, this isn't the biggest problem in the world,  but it does detract somewhat from the match day experience, and it would be great to fix it. 

Cheers in advance (again)! 

Hmm.  I may have spoken too soon. I just played a second match, and this time there was no problem. Hopefully it'll stay that way!