Sports Interactive Community
git2thachoppa

Group B (BBC One from 6:30pm BST, kick-off 7pm) - Iran v Portugal (BBC One) / Spain v Morocco (BBC Four) - ALL PERMUTATIONS LISTED

Just now, given1legend said:

The decisions are still up to the referees. At times it has been great but it shows up which referees are absolute ****s.

Aye there has been some questionable decisions but theres probably been a good 10 minutes wasted by constantly going back and forth to VAR, and even then he's made 1 wrong decision and one questionable decision and theres been plenty of wrong penalty decisions given still with it. Its ****ing embarrassing.

That absolutely was not the full added time ffs, never mind the time not given for what must have been 10-15 mins of stoppages :D 

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Guarantee ref adds no time on despite only about 20 seconds been played in these 6 

Good call.

Ronaldo bottling the penalty and leading them into Uruguay game and potential France-Argentina winner in quarters. Good.

Iran - 1

Portugal - 1

VAR - 2

VAR go through to face Uruguay in the last 16.

Should've been more time added on there. 

Hope Uruguay stuff them :D

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Were those Portuguese fighting with each other there?

Yep, Pepe and Cedric maybe?

Shambolic 96 minutes. No pressure on VAR guy sitting miles away. Too much pressure on the ref.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Were those Portuguese fighting with each other there?

It looked like a player went to have a go at the ref.

Well, Spain vs Russia and Uruguay vs Portugal in R16. Judging by the performances so far, I'm backing Russia and Uruguay to progress.

Just now, Collzy said:

Hope Uruguay stuff them :D

It's going to be a 0-0 or 1-0 game either way. Guaranteed.

2 minutes ago, Ackter said:

The ball has been headed straight downwards into his arm from 6 inches away ffs :D

Aye I said it was soft, but there's been pens given for ones like that with player's arms up.

Just now, Andrew_ said:

Shambolic 96 minutes. No pressure on VAR guy sitting miles away. Too much pressure on the ref.

Needs to be the VAR guy making the decision, like in rugby.

10 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Once he thinks he's elbowed him it should be a Red, there's no Yellow card foul there 

Yes, yes. I agree with you. But he didn't elbow him. It was a natural move to get in front of the defender and there was nothing there really. 

Actually, that was a VAR mistake to make him look at this.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

Ronaldo bottling the penalty and leading them into Uruguay game and potential France-Argentina winner in quarters. Good.

Hahaha thinking Argentina will go through

There was at least 5 more minutes to that game. What a farce. We shouldnt be seeing that ref again. Joke.

The ref feels under pressure to give it because it's been referred to him in the first place.

They'll get it right but it's being used badly at the moment.

4 minutes ago, The Rebel MC said:

I don't think it's as bad a decision as being made out, it is soft but his arm is up and has stopped the ball going across...I'd be miffed if my team conceded that but it's by no means terrible compared to some decisions you see.

SHOCK NEWS!!!

We're going to actually agree on this. His arm is up, it shouldn't be at the level that it is, so if it hits the arm? It's a reasonable call. 90% of the time, those decisions will not be given, but it's not unreasonable to give it.

Players do it all the time, they make themselves bigger than they are and it deserves to get punished.

Just now, Heartwork said:

Dont jinx it.

Just now, GunmaN1905 said:

It's going to be a 0-0 or 1-0 game either way. Guaranteed.

Oh I know, but I can live in hope! 

That's a shocking decision. Not to mention the amount of time it took to check.

I've liked VAR up to now but that was really poor. The problem is that as soon as it goes to VAR the ref if seemingly always going to give it for fear of going against the 4 video refs.

Just now, Heartwork said:

I'm not convinced by that Nigeria side and I don't see Iceland beating Croatia.

But as we have seen just now, anything is possible. Brought to you by VAR.

1 minute ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Needs to be the VAR guy making the decision, like in rugby.

In Rugby, the TMO doesn't make the decision, that's still the referee. But they tell him what they've seen and whether they believe it's an infringement for him to then make the decision.

Definitely agree with those saying we need shot clocks ASAP, especially now we have VAR.

Just now, ginnybob said:

That's a shocking decision. Not to mention the amount of time it took to check.

I've liked VAR up to now but that was really poor. The problem is that as soon as it goes to VAR the ref if seemingly always going to give it for fear of going against the 4 video refs.

This. I really want to see a referee stand up for himself and stand by his original decision if he is convinced it's the right one.

Tonight has confirmed where I stand on VAR. In its current form, I am now against it, as it causes more confusion than it clears up.

Why does Alan Shearer keep saying "If he thinks that's deliberate hand ball" ? It doesn't have to be deliberate hand ball to be a penalty.

Watching again from the wide angle, i'm even more convinced it's a penalty now. The Iran player is heading directly towards goal, the arm is up in an unnatural position directly in line with the goal. It's something we see all the time and it doesn't get called, but it's still putting the arm in the way of the trajectory of the ball.

Joke ref making VAR look bad, his 2nd bad match, but don't forget the VAR refs who are also to blame.

Just now, daylight said:

Why does Alan Shearer keep saying "If he thinks that's deliberate hand ball" ? It doesn't have to be deliberate hand ball to be a penalty.

Because for some reason every television in the world thinks bringing former class players automatically means their analysis will be useful.

1 minute ago, Redshift said:

VAR is total boll***s.

VAR is brilliant. However this ref was a clown. In a same way a Bugatti is an amazing car but no ur if you put a blind man as driver.

The arm was high, the balls going towards the goal, you see a lot of them given over a season.

These pundits say it all the time, "the arm is in unnatural position".

Their pressure on the ref all night cracked him because that was a soft penalty, handball yes but surely unavoidable at that distance.

Not sure on the red/yellow card on Ronaldo, rules say it's nothing or red but I can see why he gave a yellow, it wasn't an assault by Ronaldo but he did shave him unnecessarily with the elbow, essentially I think he was a little more aggressive than strictly necessary.

Overall I'm pissed off with all these late ref shenanigans, because I'd rather be on the other end of the draw that we'd be in, had we qualified in 1st. Uruguay are gonna be extremely tough and then France... France have not convinced but have the natural talent we don't have. I think we're getting knocked out in the next 2 matches, which of them I can't tell.

As for the overall game, unconvincing again but not a terrible performance even if on paper drawing with Iran ain't great. I guess after the shitshow that was a horrendous exhibition against Morocco, this was a vast improvement. :lol:

Edited by noikeee

29 minutes ago, cyclonus1010 said:

i use their site for the fixtures for my Fantasy Football team. Netted me over £1000 in prize money in the last 3 years :D 

And to check on teams before the kick off so i can make a few changes  :D

Main place I use for sports news too mate, but their opinion pieces surrounding Salah or PL football these days were repetitive and terrible. Yeah he's been world class, but I don't need to be reminded every week that he found the cure for cancer.