Group G: England v Panama (1300BST)

Rob1981

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Wigmore said:

Also, I know he’s on a hat trick but get Kane out of there, don’t want him getting kicked by an angry Panamanian with the game won.

Give him 5 minutes so he can score a third pen and then take him off.

2 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

What's left of Tunisia anyway. Half their team seems to be injured

In that case, there won't be anything left of them when Panama are done with them 

Wow, this is the best England team I have seen in my lifetime (and I was born in 66). Watching this, I am starting to think they might play a role in the later stages.

What is going on? England qualifying for the KO stage comfortably, not playing well and 5-0 up, more of this please!

Maguire has again looked poor, passing is no good and positional sense isn't great he'll be exposed Vs better teams, Sterling has done very little too but he isn't in his natural position, Rashford would be more effective but I'd like Sterling to get a goal here.

2nd half we need to push on, Kane for top scorer, a goal for Sterling, keep a clean sheet and let's try to top this group, we then need to play Belgium as if it's the KO stage to prepare ourselves for matches Vs better opposition.

Just now, Hodgy said:

What is going on? England qualifying for the KO stage comfortably, not playing well and 5-0 up, more of this please!

Maguire has again looked poor, passing is no good and positional sense isn't great he'll be exposed Vs better teams, Sterling has done very little too but he isn't in his natural position, Rashford would be more effective but I'd like Sterling to get a goal here.

2nd half we need to push on, Kane for top scorer, a goal for Sterling, keep a clean sheet and let's try to top this group, we then need to play Belgium as if it's the KO stage to prepare ourselves for matches Vs better opposition.

I'm baffled as to what he's doing in there. His technical play and ability are just terrible. Surprised he's playing at this level.

10 minutes ago, Snedhead said:

Maguire looks a bit cumbersome and weak on his left side. Surely any decent team will just force him onto that foot and apply pressure and he'll turn over possession? 

Agreed. All the danger is coming down there. Ashley Young not good enough too. 

Just now, dking said:

I'm baffled as to what he's doing in there. His technical play and ability are just terrible. Surprised he's playing at this level.

Me too but he does offer that physical presence at the set plays at both ends of the pitch. 

Its who else would you have in there? Being bias but for me it would be Lascelles. 

7 minuti fa, GunmaN1905 ha scritto:

3 CONCACAF spots, 4+1 CONMEBOL spots.

Fair enough.

It's baffling, but it's clearly a political choice...

48 teams in a world cup are an abomination and should never happen. However FIFA are always looking to please/appease the largest number of federations possible, even if it means having plenty of one-sided or awful games.

Euro2016 was already too much, and it was just the beginning of this "participation trophy" mentality.

BTW, ok stuff by England, but hardly tough opposition... The game against Belgium will answer many questions about both teams.

1 minute ago, skybluedave said:

Agreed. All the danger is coming down there. Ashley Young not good enough too. 

Tbh, similar situation to Belgium.

They have Carrasco as LWB, even worse than Young in that position, defense-wise.

Boyata also being average at best.

Should be a cracking game because both teams look pretty bad in defense.

4 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

It's been 5 mins and Panama haven't given away any fouls yet. New record?

Their coach has probably had a word with his players, he seemed a little apologetic towards Southgate in that little exchange at half time. Either that or he was begging for us to go easy on them in the 2nd half.

Just now, RBKalle said:

It's baffling, but it's clearly a political choice...

48 teams in a world cup are an abomination and should never happen. However FIFA are always looking to please/appease the largest number of federations possible, even if it means having plenty of one-sided or awful games.

Euro2016 was already too much, and it was just the beginning of this "partecipation trophy" mentality.

It's 3 spots because of the USA.

Mexico is a great team, always delivers on WC.

USA always performed on WCs, never looked like they don't belong.

And then there was only one team left, which usually didn't do anything.

But since  Costa Rica did great in 2014, everyone forgot the usual stuff that happens with Central American teams.

And now USA didn't even make it and we have 2 dreadful teams.

If they could implement continental coefficients like they do for number of CL slots for European leagues, that would be great. But really hard to implement. And doesn't even matter now since everyone with 11 professional footballers will automatically qualify.

11 minutes ago, dking said:

He is trying to do the correct things but he just isn't good enough yet, it's very dangerous to persist with him when he is being caught out by Tunisia and Panama.

10 minutes ago, Snedhead said:

Maguire looks a bit cumbersome and weak on his left side. Surely any decent team will just force him onto that foot and apply pressure and he'll turn over possession? 

No need to force him onto his left foot, he turns over possession on his good foot fairly often unfortunately, he done it often Vs Tunisia.

Phil Jones could do a similar job in that position or we could put Cahill in the centre and move Stones to the left of the 3 if Southgate is worried about lack of pace however Maguire isn't the quickest either, he really does concern me.

2 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

=If they could implement continental coefficients like they do for number of CL slots for European leagues, that would be great. But really hard to implement. And doesn't even matter now since everyone with 11 professional footballers will automatically qualify.

Except Scotland

1 minute ago, georginho_juventusygr said:

9-0 is difficult at this stage as Panama keep 11 players on their own half.

We only need 1 more goal to top the group though and that should be what matters, I don't want to worry about KO stage permutations, going game by game and to keep on winning would be nice.

Archived