Group G: England v Panama (1300BST)

Rob1981

image.png.5ce0e4e0ba3df1a08529d605a04f7b7d.pngimage.png.ed9d82b07f7601bfff87b5b9642c1301.png

Group G: England v Panama, KO 13:00BST

Venue: Nizhny Novgorod

The build up: First ever meeting between these sides.  England qualify with a win and Panama would be out.  Loftus-Cheek in for Alli and Rashford in for Sterling are the two rumoured England changes.  Gareth Southgate in relaxed and confident mood, and the draw's opening up for us nicely.  But a thirty degree heat at kickoff time and Panama will be kicking lumps out of us, so probably won't be much of a game.  Hopefully 2-0 or 3-0 or something, gets the job done with minimum fuss.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I can't see how this isn't going to be a 10-0 thrashing :)

That would see us top the group though on GD :D  Assuming we want to finish second we need to get it to 2-0 or 3-0 then just knock it around for the rest of the game.

I am taking nothing for granted, even the '1st 0-0 of the world cup', I just want to win and play with a bit of confidence. None of this last second winner, please.

At this stage, I don't care about winning the group or 2nd, just win the damn game and take it from there, please!

Come one, England!

Love to be a fly on the wall if/when Gareth Southgate has to talk to Harry Kane:

"Look Harry, I know these are **** and you want the golden boot but we need to try and engineer second in the group so we avoid Brazil and Germany.  Just get us a couple and then I'm taking you off."

7 minutes ago, Astafjevs said:

I find the stuff that will happen after this, with everyone playing for second, really embarrassing. Would be great if both get knocked out in the round of 16.

Or Germany win their group.

Yeah, I think playing for second would come back to bite us in the arse. We should just be looking at winning games, simple as.

I seem to go back and forth between being cautiously optimistic and optimistically cautious.

My prediction's on the cautious side. We'll nick a goal late in the first half and that'll be enough to get us through.

Rashford didn't do anything against Tunisia that made me think he has to start over Sterling. Sterling getting one more shot is sensible, then we can go with Rashford if he under performs again.

1 minute ago, Constantine said:

Can see Panama causing you a lot of problems if they line up similary as vs Belgium. But if they open up, they'll be punished. 1-0 to England, with Sterling finally scoring. 

Panama have to come out and attack at some point, there's no point in them playing for a draw, so I'd expect space to open up. They may try and keep it tight in first half but I think if we get first goal it will be comfortable 3 or 4.

6 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Panama have to come out and attack at some point, there's no point in them playing for a draw, so I'd expect space to open up. They may try and keep it tight in first half but I think if we get first goal it will be comfortable 3 or 4.

That's what i'm expecting too... Even put a few euros on England to win and 3-5 goals 

So let's hope Harry is in the mood :D 

Archived