Sports Interactive Community
Bliss Seeker

It came home. Hope, hope came home

Fewer people are watching it (in the UK anyway). This is partly because it's exclusively on pay tv now, but also group stages are pretty tedious, the gap between the big teams and everyone is so huge now you pretty much know in advance who is going to qualify. Also quality doesn't feel as great as it used to, I remember 5-10 years ago there was a huge difference between club and international football. Doesn't feel as big now.

21 minutes ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

Everyone just seems more positive about this World Cup generally? Obviously it being a lot of fun helps a lot with that, but I wonder if the decline in how we view the CL contributes to this in some way?

World Cup's a results business and we've qualified early with a couple of big wins.

Many were very positive about the exciting young talents in a 2014 squad that had qualified comfortably and beaten Brazil in a warmup friendly, but the excitement probably peaked in the fourth minute of the first game when Sterling's long ranger turned out to have only hit the side netting, and then we lost two games to get knocked out and failed to score against Costa Rica.  Some excitement existed over a team that had qualified for 2010 in some style but dissipated pretty quickly with some silly goalkeeping against a side calling the game "soccer" and a 0-0 with Algeria amidst rumours of the team falling out with their manager. Plenty of excitement surrounding earlier tournaments even when they weren't entirely convincing in all their group stage games. Hell, people actually went to some of the other tournaments in large numbers....

1 hour ago, enigmatic said:

a 0-0 with Algeria

I feel like it's taken the performances and general vibe this year to finally recover from this. Rooney being nowhere to be seen has also helped. 

On 24/06/2018 at 00:56, Bliss Seeker said:

The 'they didn't know it was coming home' Wall of Shame

Russel10 (Stefan Kuntz)

Haiku (wet lettuce)

GunmaN1905 

PMLF

Makwa 

Nordon

Well, England is not my home, nor PMLF's, nor probably any other on the list. My country is not competing in the WC, so definitely it's not coming home from my point of view. I can't feel ashamed of being intact with reality.

3 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Well, England is not my home, nor PMLF's, nor probably any other on the list. My country is not competing in the WC, so definitely it's not coming home from my point of view, so I can't feel ashamed of being intact with reality.

Does it look like anyone is overly concerned with reality in here? 

7 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Well, England is not my home, nor PMLF's, nor probably any other on the list. My country is not competing in the WC, so definitely it's not coming home from my point of view. I can't feel ashamed of being intact with reality.

It doesn't matter! Jump on our train of glory!

Its Coming Home!

10 minutes ago, Haiku said:

and I thought I was a miserable ****.

new standards have been set.

12 minutes ago, Haiku said:

Theres only 1 home of football, its coming home for everyone 

Q5NnBt9.png

Bet these are the same people that got really angry with the tongue in cheek opening to the first England game.

I like how PMLF is like one of the most reliable source for football news in South America, has over 28k followers on Twitter, yet is categorized in the same bracket as a wet lettuce because he doesn't believe that "it's coming home" :D

Even better. Being told what our levels of enjoyment should be by fans of countries that couldn't even ****ing qualify.

5 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

I like how PMLF is like one of the most reliable source for football news in South America, has over 28k followers on Twitter, yet is categorized in the same bracket as a wet lettuce because he doesn't believe that "it's coming home" :D

This isn't SA, this is THE WORLD, he knows nothing 

On 23/06/2018 at 23:56, Bliss Seeker said:

The 'they didn't know it was coming home' Wall of Shame

Nordon

:(

35 minutes ago, Haiku said:

I'm certainly not from England but it is a bit refreshing this World Cup from the fans, they seem to be having fun with it.

In the last few tournaments they have had 1 or 2 bad results at the start and the fallout was a train wreck. 

I gotta admit I haven't been this excited to see England do well. I can't remember any time where they have scored more than 5 goals in world cup group matches. Regardless of whether they have or have not been tested yet, its good to see English fans chanting. And yes, it's better to believe than to be a cynic, the world already has too many dark clouds blocking the sunlight. 

23 minutes ago, Baptista_8 said:

This thread is boring now

You won't be saying that when Alli scores the winner in the final

I actually really enjoy watching this England team, they're more likeable as a group than many before and Southgate comes across well which helps. 

Despite popular belief, not ever Scot hates England. Personally as long as they play good football then all good (Maybe I'm more open to it living here since I was 6) what I do love though is in the past the massive overreaction from the fairweather fans to it all :D 

1 minute ago, Muzzza said:

I actually really enjoy watching this England team, they're more likeable as a group than many before and Southgate comes across well which helps. 

Despite popular belief, not ever Scot hates England. Personally as long as they play good football then all good (Maybe I'm more open to it living here since I was 6) what I do love though is in the past the massive overreaction from the fairweather fans to it all :D 

Or maybe...

My Team: Rangers  :p

But you're right, despite the haughty reaction that seems to assume everyone is ABE.  None of these results have any bearing on Scotland, so I don't really have any care either way

:D Believe me @forameuss my mum always hated the fact I didn't actually mind the England team. 

I also live in hope they declare a public holiday if it does actually "come home". Which would be a win for me.

7 minutes ago, Muzzza said:

I also live in hope they declare a public holiday if it does actually "come home". Which would be a win for me.

That would need to be about a month in order to fully recover. 

9 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I went on an all day bender coz we beat Panama. Dread to think what would happen if we won the thing. Probably not survive 

Can't think of a better way to go though tbf. 

Argentina, France, Uruguay, Portugal, Mexico (Brazil + Colombia?)

Spain, Russia, Croatia, Denmark, Sweden (Switzerland + Japan?)

I am 100% cheering on Belgium tomorrow.

Yeah I'm with rfm. I know you have to beat the best to win it and all that stuff but just look at the difference in quality between those 2 sets of teams. It's mad.

1 minute ago, Baptista_8 said:

Let's focus on beating our second round opponents first guys.

Second round is a bye. Has nobody told you?

We can start planning our Semi Final plans really.

19 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Argentina, France, Portugal haven't exactly impressed. Nor have Brazil yet. 

England's biggest threat is the team they face tomorrow imo. The only two teams who look good, but I'm aware that may be because they've both been in a toilet group. 

27 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

So essentially its Japan, then Sweden/Swiss and potentially a Spain Semi (worst case opponent).

Am I missing something here :D

Its almost as easy as Liverpools Europa League run to their Champions League final humbling.

9 minutes ago, JDownie said:

Argentina, France, Portugal haven't exactly impressed. Nor have Brazil yet. 

England's biggest threat is the team they face tomorrow imo. The only two teams who look good, but I'm aware that may be because they've both been in a toilet group. 

But they are all still a bigger threat than the other half.

6 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

How is Argentina a threat to anyone?

Nigeria had like 5 clear chances last night. Nigeria couldn't get a shot off against Croatia.

I'd rather face Argentina any day of the week over any other team that will qualify except for Japan and Russia.

England's biggest threat is that you guy barely won vs Tunisia and trashed semi-professional side in Panama.
And most of those goals came from set-pieces.

And your defense looked shaky on every dangerous counter-attack attempt.

I think you'd have an easier time playing against supposedly bigger team that wouldn't defend all the time than against a counter-attacking team with fast players like Switzerland.

But if you think that it's coming home with Walker and Maguire as CBs, then I can't help you. :D

Edited by GunmaN1905

7 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

I don't agree. 

But I'm looking forward to it regardless of who tops the group :)

38 minutes ago, Readingfanman said:

Have you seen how **** those in the 1st group have played, they're there for a reason 

The World Cup is coming home, might as well destroy each big nation along the way 

Forget just winning the golden boot, Kane should have his eye on Klose’s record by now.

Assuming he gets his hat trick in each of our remaining games, he’s notched 20 goals in a single World Cup.

Legend.

3 hours ago, Haiku said:

We'll let you be an honorary not in England, England fan. You just have to jump on the irrational bandwagon. :)

We'll all be hungover while the 20th surely, including the players.

20 minutes ago, toon_84 said:

Belgium - half their squad is pretty much English anyway 

Believe!

I'm booking the 16th off work

I'm confused, are you booking the 16th off as Belgium are pretty much English and are going to win the World Cup?

:brock: