It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Administrators
12 minutes ago, daylight said:

I don't think this English side could beat Brazil and then France, beating Sweden and then Croatia, yes they can, surely that has to be classed as luck how the draw worked out?

Interesting you say this as a lot of pundits were wary of England's ability to break down so called weaker sides and it would play into our hands to be underdogs instead because of the pace in our side and counter attacking. So take your pick really. I think we did well to be on the side of the draw away from the huge favourites of the competition (Spain excepted - you can make a case them losing on pens is luck).

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, darren1983 said:

If England win this country will shut down for at least a month as no way anyone is going to work after it :D 

Guy at work said we shouldn't get a bank holiday if we win. I argued the nation will be far too hungover to function the day after anyway :D 

Just now, Lucas Weatherby said:

Interesting you say this as a lot of pundits were wary of England's ability to break down so called weaker sides and it would play into their hands to be underdogs because of the pace in our side. So take your pick really. I think we did well to be on the side of the draw away from the huge favourites of the competition (Spain excepted - you can make a case them losing on pens is luck).

I honestly think you know you have had some luck here, you are pretty much the only person I have seen say otherwise.

It's all good, I couldn't really care if England even win the whole damned thing, some things are more important to me now.
It was refreshing to see the fans this time around though.

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I've spent a good part of the evening trying to teach my Lithuanian wife to be the John Barnes rap.

Those on my Instagram will see how bad that is going :D

you can't leave us on that cliff hanger! I wanna see!

5 hours ago, scott MUFC said:

people forget Sweden knocked out Italy in the qualifier.

And Holland in their group whilst beating France at home. Panama knocked out team USA btw. 

Of course you can make any team seem much. Reality is that England will get with Croatia, hoping that they will be at least something in the direction of fit, their second team this tournament can turn out to be a bit of a test for them.

What a great performance really. Just comfortable and no dramas. Professional job. Couldn't ask for more in a quarters really.

Thought everyone did well. Really happy for Dele to get that goal. Tough tournament for him so far. Pleased he got his moment. Now need Sterling to bang the winner in the Semi!

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/07/england-fans-trample-london-ambulance-celebrations-turn-wild-7691618/

Things got well out of hand in London today as England fans were seen trampling on an ambulance amid wild celebrations. With the Shard in the backdrop by Borough Market, dozens of supporters crowded around a London ambulance and egged people to climb aboard. And several people happily obliged, posing for photos as they did following England’s historic 2-0 win over Sweden.

sei_20541530.jpg?w=964&h=659&crop=1

sei_20541960.jpg?w=768&h=512&crop=1

sei_20541564.jpg?w=768&h=512&crop=1

sei_20541978.jpg?w=768&h=512&crop=1

sei_20541896.jpg?w=768&h=530&crop=1

sei_20543329.jpg?w=768&h=512&crop=1

sei_20543156.jpg?w=768&h=512&crop=1

One woman even lifted her top up for the world to see before more people followed her up. Footage from the chaotic scenes shows the crowd singing ‘we want Jackie Chan’ before a man jumps on to the ambulance. He was then followed by a man dressed in a Gareth Southgate waistcoat before the police arrived to prevent any further damage. The fans badly dented the ambulance’s bonnet and smashed the windscreen, taking the important vehicle out of action. In a tweet following the incident, the LAS said it left a ‘big dampener on the celebrations’.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/07/05/police-investigating-football-fans-england-celebrations-got-hand-7687467/

Football fans across the country were seen tearing it up after England’s World Cup penalty victory. But it may have come at a price for some supporters in Nottingham who took things slightly too far when they got caught up in the excitement. A bus driver filmed the moment hundreds of fans poured into the street in the moments after England’s historic victory against Colombia on Tuesday night.

As crowds chanted ‘It’s coming home’ traffic came to a standstill in Nottingham city centre. Now police are investigating after two people got caught up in the excitement and jumped on top of a police car and a bus.

Nottinghamshire Police are now looking into allegations of criminal damage. Bus driver Shaun McKeown, 46, said: ‘Minutes after the game finished they all came pouring out of the pubs and bars and into the street. ‘They were obviously chuffed about the score and got a bit carried away. ‘Because they were blocking the road they started crowding around the bus. ‘There were just rowdy drunk men surrounding the bus. At one point I had someone hanging off of the wing mirror.’

Shaun said he tried reasoning with the men when his bus got blocked in by crowds but said ‘there really was no need’ for the person to climb on top of his vehicle as it was stationary. ‘It just seemed like he got carried away by the crowd. Nobody was egging him on,’ Shaun said. ‘The police were struggling to contain them all. There must have been about 1,000 fans along there and only a handful of police officers. ‘They were just chanting ‘It’s coming home’ over and over again for 20 minutes. ‘If anything I wish they had switched it up and sung something else. It was stuck in my head for the rest of my shift.’ Police are investigating an incident of criminal damage after damage was caused to a windscreen wiper of a police car. No arrests have been made.

City Inspector Anwaar Ahmed said: ‘Tuesday’s football result was fantastic and it’s no surprise that the people of Nottingham joined the rest of the country in celebrating making it through to the quarter-finals of the World Cup. ‘Football is one of the greatest tools in uniting a community but it was disappointing to hear that people were putting themselves in danger by climbing on top of buses and standing in the way of traffic. ‘As we approach England’s next game I would urge fans to think carefully about their behaviour during and after the match. ‘While we don’t want to prevent people from enjoying themselves, criminal damage and anti-social behaviour will not be tolerated and could result in you being arrested.’

England fans were filmed tearing up an Ikea in east London as supporters decided to rub some salt in Swedish wounds. The crowd well and truly took over the shop in Westfield Stratford City after England’s 2-0 victory this afternoon. In the footage, the overzealous fans are seen kicking furniture and jumping on beds as they sing ‘it’s coming home’.

I'm starting to see why a lot of my Scottish and non football liking friends are not enjoying it coming home :( 

I was surprised how relatively straightforward the game vs Sweden was. I think Croatia will be tough despite them going all the way vs Russia. Mandzukic needs to be man marked by Maguire for me and Rebic/Perisic need doubling up on.

Quietly confident though.

You've just answered your own statement

11 minutes ago, Wiggins' Young Boys said:

If anybody gives a **** they should be banned from this thread 

Obviously other people give a ****. So the insinuation people shouldn't or won't is incorrect.

6 minutes ago, Wiggins' Young Boys said:

You tell 'em bliss. Atmosphere in this country is great right now, millions of happy people enjoying themselves. If I weren't bothered about what drunken people got up to on a Saturday night before I'm not going to start worrying about it now.

Yeah. I remember the days of yore after a **** up on a Saturday night, heading into an IKEA during normal business hours causing mayhem and scaring front line staff.

27 minutes ago, Andrew_ said:

How's your new hairdryer? ;) 

Mate, it's a new world! Been using a travel hair dryer for years, this is some proper babylis professional salon ****. Hair dried in seconds! 

Mind (and hair) blown.

7 hours ago, Mr Adam said:

Jordan Henderson has extended his all time record for games unbeaten for England - 29 (W23 D6).

Never gets the credit he deserves. Hes been one of the best midfielders this tournament.

Well if you want positivity, how about this?

scotscominghome.png

Before the Colombia/England game, a friend showed his 4 year old son how the cup draw worked, and got him to predict how the tournament would go whilst drawing this chart, and from that point on, he's been 100% correct. Some people might be suspicious of this, except the child and his father are both Scottish (indeed the father is a member of the tartan army and would love nothing more than for England to lose every match 5-0 or more) and the child was encouraged to support Argentina, Spain and whoever England was playing before this. Maybe it is coming home?

1 hour ago, decapitated said:

Well if you want positivity, how about this?

scotscominghome.png

Before the Colombia/England game, a friend showed his 4 year old son how the cup draw worked, and got him to predict how the tournament would go whilst drawing this chart, and from that point on, he's been 100% correct. Some people might be suspicious of this, except the child and his father are both Scottish (indeed the father is a member of the tartan army and would love nothing more than for England to lose every match 5-0 or more) and the child was encouraged to support Argentina, Spain and whoever England was playing before this. Maybe it is coming home?

Is this for real? You got any sources? Seems a bit too accurate.

14 minutes ago, adhikapp said:

Is this for real? You got any sources? Seems a bit too accurate.

My source is my friends private facebook page, that I can't share. I have no proof if its true, but I suspect it is, as he's mortified his son is supporting England now that Spain and Argentina are out. Maybe it's a bit too perfect and my friend is having me and other England supporters he knows on for a laugh, but I still believe........ 

2 hours ago, ryan045 said:

Never gets the credit he deserves. Hes been one of the best midfielders this tournament.

Absolutely. Saw a few tweets questioning why he was even called up before the tournament which baffled me at the time and has proven to be ridiculous as the tournament has progressed.

I had my reservations about him playing "alone" in midfield so to speak but even at that he's been excellent. Croatia's midfield is going to be a huge challenge up next but I think his energy against them could prove key, but obviously Modric and Rakitic are insanely talented.

41 minutes ago, Pukey said:

Absolutely. Saw a few tweets questioning why he was even called up before the tournament which baffled me at the time and has proven to be ridiculous as the tournament has progressed.

I had my reservations about him playing "alone" in midfield so to speak but even at that he's been excellent. Croatia's midfield is going to be a huge challenge up next but I think his energy against them could prove key, but obviously Modric and Rakitic are insanely talented.

If he plays "alone" against them we'll be in trouble, because they are both better midfielders than he is. Alli is going to have to sit deeper, perhaps Sterling too

3 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

If he plays "alone" against them we'll be in trouble, because they are both better midfielders than he is. Alli is going to have to sit deeper, perhaps Sterling too

I'm imagining Lingard and Alli will both be coming a little deeper at times, specifically when we don't have the ball. They're both undoubtedly better but I think as the game goes on they'll get more tired and that could be where Henderson can start to have more of an influence, but he'll need help for sure. 

32 minutes ago, enigmatic said:

:D

Miserable sods like this one

A lot of people said Colombia were a very good team and would beat England and now all of a sudden they're **** and England are lucky etc :D 

Couldn't give a flying **** who we've faced, we're in the ****ing semi final. 

England remind me of 2004 Greece when they had a solid defence and generally scored goals from set pieces

Greece went through that tournament with "they'll get beaten by a better team" but it never happened.  I'd say England's team are much more talented than that Greece team but they have a solid team plan which has worked to this point

Archived