It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

If we go and lose today (I mean we never beat the Swedes :() I really hope that everyone doesn't instantly turn back to hating on the England team like they have over the past few years. Its always better having the nation getting up like this, even if we're doomed to fail.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sick with nerves :(

Obviously everyone would have taken a noble QF exit before it started. But not now. Waited 28 years for a shot at a semi final where we are actually the heavy favourites and actually expected to win. Not only that but even if we get through we know we’ve got another game that’s very winnable. I will be crushed if we don’t make the final. None of this “oh well, Gareth’s brought the feel good factor back and at least we won on penalties” etc. This is our chance, this is our time. Just need the boys to step up and take it.

18 minutes ago, DeafParrot said:

If we go and lose today (I mean we never beat the Swedes :() I really hope that everyone doesn't instantly turn back to hating on the England team like they have over the past few years. Its always better having the nation getting up like this, even if we're doomed to fail.

Stop jinxing Sweden. ;) England won the last match (in the Euros) vs Sweden. 

36 minutes ago, DeafParrot said:

Did you read the Colombia  thread? People can't wait to jump on this team :D

Even the thread maker :-o

52 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

Sick with nerves :(

Obviously everyone would have taken a noble QF exit before it started. But not now. Waited 28 years for a shot at a semi final where we are actually the heavy favourites and actually expected to win. Not only that but even if we get through we know we’ve got another game that’s very winnable. I will be crushed if we don’t make the final. None of this “oh well, Gareth’s brought the feel good factor back and at least we won on penalties” etc. This is our chance, this is our time. Just need the boys to step up and take it.

What you going to be like next weekend when we're preparing for the final mate?! :D 

What a crazy day to be in this country. England quarter final, Silverstone, Wimbledon, Pride, 31 degree weather... I went out this morning to get my hair cut and the streets are already heaving with people.

2 hours ago, Coulthard's Jaw said:

I don't have The Fear like I did for the Colombia game, pretty excited actually, big game, big reward if we win.

Same. Putting aside the it's coming home vibe, this is where I wanted us to get to. Everything after that is bonus. The one thing I want is that we play without fear, and we leave nothing behind, win or lose. 

20 minutes ago, themadsheep2001 said:

The one thing I want is that we play without fear, and we leave nothing behind, win or lose. 

+1. This is exactly the kind of game the old England would lose. I have major concerns about our tactics but I'm also confident we can win this. I don't see us being outplayed, but I can see where Sweden shut us out and then it'll be another penalty shootout. Could be a long afternoon.

QFs was the most I expected from this WC really as I expected us to be facing Germany or Brazil etc this round, if not the round before, somehow we've avoided them all though so to go out to Sweden in the Quarters would be very disappointing really. 

They're obviously very good at what they do but c'mon.

I am wearing the same clothes, haven't done my hair so it's curly, and I'm drinking the same beers in exactly the same order as Tuesday. 

Leaving nothing to chance here! 

22 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I am wearing the same clothes, haven't done my hair so it's curly, and I'm drinking the same beers in exactly the same order as Tuesday. 

Leaving nothing to chance here! 

Have you showered since Tuesday? :D

I'm  geniunely disappointed with the number of English fans on the stadiums. But that seems to be the trend now with every country.

For as long as I can remember, there was at least 20k English fans on every WC/EURO game and now when you guys are actually doing great, you can barely hear any songs during the game.

1 minute ago, GunmaN1905 said:

I'm  geniunely disappointed with the number of English fans on the stadiums. But that seems to be the trend now with every country.

For as long as I can remember, there was at least 20k English fans on every WC/EURO game and now when you guys are actually doing great, you can barely hear any songs during the game.

Many are local fans, I hear.

But you certainly can hear God Save the Queen.

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Shut up(again) Andrew you spanner

Stop pretending to believe. 

I see what you're doing here Bliss. You wavered last game and you're trying to project onto someone else. 

You should go get that tattoo to make up for it.

Just now, georginho_juventusygr said:

Many are local fans, I hear.

But you certainly can hear God Save the Queen.

Yeah, I heard it at the end of the game, but I'd still expect at least 15-20k on the stadium for a QF game.

That's what I always admired English people for. They didn't care about decades of failure, always showed up in huge numbers, but by the look of things modern football killed it off.

Yeah, I heard it at the end of the game, but I'd still expect at least 15-20k on the stadium for a QF game.

That's what I always admired English people for. They didn't care about decades of failure, always showed up in huge numbers, but by the look of things modern football killed it off.

It's expensive though. I don't think your average English football fan can afford to go to Russia at this stage of the tournament. 

From what I hear, a lot of people who would travel anywhere to support England, were put off by the fights with Russian fans in France in 2016.

2 minutes ago, decapitated said:

From what I hear, a lot of people who would travel anywhere to support England, were put off by the fights with Russian fans in France in 2016.

It just doesn't feel right.

Possibly a Croatia-England semifinal, should be like 20k of each in the stands, and instead we'll have theatre atmoshpere.

Hell, if someone told me 10 years ago that I wouldn't care about Croatia getting in the semis of WC and that I would have no interest of finding a way to get a ticket, I'd laugh it off.
But here we are.

I feel like the remaining teams are just risking injuries and tiredness of important players before the start of the new club season, it would be fairer on everyone if they just ended the tournament now and gave us the trophy.

11 minutes ago, GunmaN1905 said:

It just doesn't feel right.

Possibly a Croatia-England semifinal, should be like 20k of each in the stands, and instead we'll have theatre atmoshpere.

Hell, if someone told me 10 years ago that I wouldn't care about Croatia getting in the semis of WC and that I would have no interest of finding a way to get a ticket, I'd laugh it off.
But here we are.

Theres been a late mad rush to get to Russia from some fans who previously elected to stay at home, but most can't afford it or get can time off. I imagine if the Spartak fans do cause trouble outside the ground at the semi final and England get through, you might even see less England fans at the final than at the semi final. It's weird in that the whole country has gone World Cup crazy, but theres not much desire or ability to go to Russia for political and logistical reasons. 

Archived