Sports Interactive Community
Bliss Seeker

It came home. Hope, hope came home

10 minutes ago, Robbie.Knox said:

Agree with all of the above. It's nice seeing the hunger of the players (that photo of Stones and Maguire giving it large to the Colombians is great), all the while clearly learning from the example Southgate sets and being good pro's off the pitch. The video of Stones approaching Hoddle is fantastic.

Not seen that, you got a link?

3 minutes ago, craigcwwe said:

Not seen that, you got a link?

Fantastic might be overkill but it shows the attitude of the players:

I still don’t rate Southgate, but he could be our Di Matteo. 

We’ll never know for sure, but if he takes us to the semis or even the final he’ll be seen as a hero, whereas a better manager might have done one better. 

Southgate reminds me of Hoddle a bit, has his ideas with the team that no one agreed with beforehand, Hoddle played wingbacks as well 

2 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Southgate reminds me of Hoddle a bit, has his ideas with the team that no one agreed with beforehand, Hoddle played wingbacks as well 

Didn't Hoddle also use Gary Neville as a CB on the right side too in a back three?

Edited by craigcwwe

4 minutes ago, Robbie.Knox said:

Fantastic might be overkill but it shows the attitude of the players:

That's pretty cool tbf. 

11 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

How are his ideas on the disabled?

4 minutes ago, forameuss said:

How are his ideas on the disabled?

Let's hope we never know. 

1 hour ago, skybluedave said:

I can't put my finger on why the mood amongst the support is different this year. People seem more positive and outgoing in their support and all this Football Coming Home malarky. At first I thought it was because we'd won a couple of games and everybody has got excited but I noticed even for the Tunisia game it was pretty pumping. 

Maybe it's the fact we have a more likable team and manager but still Southgate was a bit of a laughing stock 6 months ago. 

It's really strange how the mood has changed for this tournament. If we win Saturday it feels like the country wll explode.

Just imagine if we lost the penalties. I think we'd be at rock bottom. All the good will built up before the tournament and the in the group stage only to end up being same old England. Would have been heartbreaking. 

Good post. It's been fantastic, the first time since maybe 2002 I've had genuinely good vibes from watching England games. The team are happy, the public are happy to watch them, and there are no weight-of-the-world expectations, it's perfect really. Southgate has created a countrywide love-in, credit to him.

Edited by Wigmore

If we manage to bring it home I think I'll just call it a day as a football fan. 

Seeing Leicester City win the league & England win the World Cup. Football would be well and truly completed-it-mate.

6 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Speaking of disabled. 

I've sneakingly put 'it's coming home' in my work signature in a really small off white text.  Just for giggles. 

Just got a reply from a blind recipient of one I sent out yesterday, highlighting the text with an "Indeed" :D  Didn't think that one through! 

:lol: I've done that as well, just in normal text

49 minutes ago, Bigwig said:

I still don’t rate Southgate, but he could be our Di Matteo. 

We’ll never know for sure, but if he takes us to the semis or even the final he’ll be seen as a hero, whereas a better manager might have done one better. 

Southgate is making me believe more in how I’ve started to felt about International football for the ‘big’ sides, you don’t need to be a top tactician, just need to be a good man manager/motivator. No doubt that tactically Southgate is quite average at best, but if he can get side used to a certain way and get them to buy into it and have a good feeling, it can make up for that because of how little prep you have in International football, and players coming their own tactical styles.

Why I wouldn’t ever expect Low to be anything then average at best if he went into club management. 

I know what you mean, I've never really "cared" about the national team this much, I'm putting it down to a few things:

- No absolute stars (even Kane isn't there yet imo despite his stellar seasons for Spurs - might just be due to his lack of ego)
- This means lower expectations, less pressure, "building for the future" etc.
- Players are all (Cahill and Young excluded) young and fairly untainted with any negative public opinion or negative past tournament performances
- They're more relatable to the masses (the unicorn pool thing epitomises this) and seem to be having fun (think this is why Westy doesn't like them)
- The only player I don't really like is Henderson and that's probably because I'm a United fan, I've seen City fans say the same of Young etc. club stuff is almost entirely put aside.
- Southgate speaks sensibly but openly in conferences, he's quite young and probably more relatable to the players than say Hodgson, Sven, Capello etc. were.
- This all makes it more enjoyable to watch and be a part of.
- Social media also seems so much more lighthearted about everything - literally every single "It's Coming Home" post I've seen is at least 25% sarcasm, normally more like 75%, I don't remember twitter being like this for the last WC.
- The "normal" media have had to react to this a bit too and not over-react as much as normal, 
- Even when they have over-reacted, no-one takes a blind bit of notice they're having fun.
- Basically it all feels very millennial:  young, little real responsibility, light-hearted, funny, and generally flies in the face of the old ****s who take life seriously and want heroes and villains.

Oh and as others have said, Southgate's tactics are far from spot on, but they are simple, easy to follow, stick to the players' strengths and are unlikely to leave us unstuck/vulnerable to any particular tactic we come across.

Club sides can afford to be spectacularly drilled in a particular play-style, but I always feel like this falls down a bit in National management because the manager doesn't get the time with the players, and the players don't get the time together to get it down to second nature.

His selection is also not perfect, most point to a lack of playmaker, and that we're light on midfielders, but he's picked players he trusts and most of them can all do multiple jobs or play in multiple positions. 

He's just generally quite inoffensive and bar the selection for the Belgium game hasn't done anything controversial that people can/want to jump on.  The closest he gets are his substitutions really, but there's always the feeling that he's got some logic behind it rather than just "losing = add forwards/strikers" and "winning = add defenders".

- style of play

I don't think that's been mentioned yet. We haven't had a cohesive, expansive system since, what, 98? It's so refreshing to see us actually try and play football on the ground, with a fluid tactic that encourages the team to dominate matches.   All we've asked for the England team for years to be brave, and this team is doing that so I think that's helped.  Only really happened in the last 9 months or so, mind.  Since Southgate's magic head came up with the Walker role (or right sided centreback covering wingback deep lying midfield for you purists out there) and it just feels like we have a plan, a visible real tactic and that's so much better the rigid, safe football every manager since Hoddle has served up. 

Ironically, having said that we seem to still score all our goals from set pieces, like forever, but i'm willing to ignore that :D 

Southgate's got a lot to learn about management though.  He was slow to respond against Colombia and failed to do anything about them putting on another striker.   He can't be perfect though.  Sure Alf Ramsey had his faults :) 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

It's just nice not to have Wayne "attempts-a-40-yard-ping-goes-out-of-play-throws-arms-in-the-air-shouts-abuse-at-everyone-else" Rooney there. 

For all of Rooney's strengths - he was a miserable sod wasn't he :D  We ain't about that negativity these days and it's actually nice to watch us. 

This just come up on my The YouTube 

Explaining his tactical thoughts behind his first game (?) against Spain in Nov 2016.

Intetrsting to see how his system there was 4 at the back with 2 holding mids and how that's changed. 

Also found it interesting how he said the players at Liverpool and spurs are used to pressing high, so he wanted to mimic that. 

Talks such a good game. 

Remember "Rio's World Cup Wind Ups" in 2006?

Not having anything like that rubbish might be part of the reason there is more goodwill

9 minutes ago, Crispypaul said:

Remember "Rio's World Cup Wind Ups" in 2006?

Not having anything like that rubbish might be part of the reason there is more goodwill

Oh god, that spawned the phrase "YOU GOT MERKED!" didn't it? :D

Harry Kane actually sounds like Rio actually.   Only less, ermm, comprehensible. 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

1 hour ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Oh god, that spawned the phrase "YOU GOT MERKED!" didn't it? :D

Harry Kane actually sounds like Rio actually.   Only less, ermm, comprehensible. 

Unlucky mate, you just got merked :lol:

We'll be pretty grateful for immigrant workers if we get to the final btw. English people will be booking the day off work in droves.

An email was sent round the office earlier with a raffle for 2 tickets to the Sweden game, everyone was pretty excited until they found out no travel or accomodation was included and right now you're looking at 2k layout including overnight layovers in Istanbul

I think the goodwill largely begins and ends with us being in the quarter finals and having a nice-looking draw. I mean, Gareth seems nice and all that, but Steve "better record at Boro" McClaren seemed a lovely unassuming young Englishman too and it didn't do him any good. 

Don't think there was any shortage of goodwill towards the in-form and "exciting, young" team in our last major tournament, complete with journalists getting excited  about how Joachim Low thought we'd be contenders and hype about the records our front three were breaking for club and country, but then we weren't great in the group stages and lost to ****ing Iceland so it was never going to last.

Hell, here's @Bliss Seeker, the one person not talking about "coming home" ironically at the beginning of the tournament waxing poetic over Roy's young lions at the 2014 World Cup even after we'd lost the first game...

There was no shortage of cynicism until  we got a very late winner in the first game and played Panama in the next game, and realised how average everyone else was looking, at which point we  "it's coming home"  stopped being an ironic joke about how we had no expectations at all. Though all the talk about how lovely our ego-free team was would have dissipated pdq in favour of recriminations about our approach to the game against Belgium and why can't we take penalties and why was Raheem "Evil Tattoo" Sterling selected instead of Rashford/Vardy if Bacca's penalty had been an inch lower and smashed in rather than out off the crossbar. But hey, at least our tactics appear to be improving the team rather than holding it back for a change.

Looks like I linked to the second rather than the first page of the thread by mistake, but here it is in all it's glory.  :) 

Only needs a few names changing to be our song when we win the World Cup this time round...

Roy’s brave young lions

Are playing to Brazil

They were born to be victorious

They were born to thrill

There’s little Raheem Sterling

Running like a girl

We are Ingerland

And we’re going to win the world!

Ohhhh Ingerland

Ingerland

Ingerland all the way

Oh what fun it is to ride

On Ingerland’s bus today!

Give the ball the Rooney

It’ll bounce off his foot

Give the ball to Gerrard

He will give it a big hoof

Chested down by Sturridge

Onto to Welbeck’s foot

He’ll score with his high top

And he wouldn’t have a clue

Ohhhh Ingerland

Ingerland

Ingerland all the way

Oh what fun it is to ride

On Ingerland’s bus today

What is this Beckham VS Bale programme on Sky Sports Mix about who's the best with Giggs, Matthaus, Zola and Jenas all discussing on a panel and voting. So weird :D

10 hours ago, Bliss Seeker said:

Can you quote my post from 2014 here @enigmatic?

It didn't link to it. 

Love cringing over my posts from years gone by :)

You need to rewrite that song for 2018 plesse.

It's really not that good Dave :D

I really want to make one of these 3 lions videos! 

Can you think of any movies or TV shows to use? 

Had a think, and I don't think the following will work:

Back to the Future Johnny b good scene 

White Girls Terry crews in car 

Faulty towers don't mention the war

Breakfast club high dancing scene 

Ferris Bueler's day off parade 

Edited by Bliss Seeker

World Cup Q/F

• France - 6 Letters
  • Uruguay - 7 Letters

• Brazil - 6 Letters
  • Belgium - 7 Letters

• Sweden - 6 Letters
  • England - 7 Letters

• Russia - 6 Letters
  • Croatia - 7 Letters

Games Played on the 6th & 7th of July

6+7 = 13

13 Letters in....

IT'S COMING HOME !!!!!!

1 minute ago, Barry Cartman said:

World Cup Q/F

• France - 6 Letters
  • Uruguay - 7 Letters

• Brazil - 6 Letters
  • Belgium - 7 Letters

• Sweden - 6 Letters
  • England - 7 Letters

• Russia - 6 Letters
  • Croatia - 7 Letters

Games Played on the 6th & 7th of July

6=7 = 13

13 Letters in....

IT'S COMING HOME !!!!!!

Well if this doesn't convince people, i don't know what will.

1 minute ago, Bliss Seeker said:

There's actually 14 letters.  The abbreviation on 'it's' should read it is. 

Can we ban this non believer?

3 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

You mean like in your thread title? oh wait

Your lack of believing over the past week has been shocking 

5 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

It's like birthday's there are 13 letters until there are 14.

Reposting that from Twitter as your own  :herman:

13 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

Your lack of believing over the past week has been shocking 

:D

No one's probably noticed, but I have been putting myself and taking myself off that wall of shame a few times now. 

I still believe, it's just... it's gonna be hard innit :(

32 minutes ago, Lucas Weatherby said:

Reposting that from Twitter as your own  :herman:

My mate sent it me actually :)