Sports Interactive Community
Bliss Seeker

It came home. Hope, hope came home

33 minutes ago, Bliss Seeker said:

I'm working from home today. 

I am mentally exhausted. And my head hurts 

Lucky you. Today it's my only bloody day to come into the office. The up side is that I have no American office to deal with and no one else in the Reading office are really in the mood to work so I might as well catch up some sleep in my room.

3 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

My son said football is boring and went to bed before full time :( 

I fell asleep during England Belgium in 90 and missed Platt's winner :D He's not a lost cause yet.

6 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

My son is still going on and on about the penalty shootout like it was the most exciting, nerve-shredding thing ever to happen in his life so far.

Probably should be pleased he’s so into it, but I’m finding the little ****er quite annoying, dining out on us winning even though he’s only eight and this is the first World Cup he will actually remember and he hasn’t had to endure 22 years of misery first. Hasn’t earned the right to be this happy imho.

He's unlucky in the long run because everything will be a disappointment compared to this memory.

35 minutes ago, Rob1981 said:

My son is still going on and on about the penalty shootout like it was the most exciting, nerve-shredding thing ever to happen in his life so far.

Probably should be pleased he’s so into it, but I’m finding the little ****er quite annoying, dining out on us winning even though he’s only eight and this is the first World Cup he will actually remember and he hasn’t had to endure 22 years of misery first. Hasn’t earned the right to be this happy imho.

I've run out of upvotes. 

That's never happened before :D

This is great to watch. Robbie has the face of an Englishman who has seen it all before through most of this. :D

My lad only watched 90 minutes then our lass took him to bed.

Watched 4 won 4

I've been invited out on Saturday but I think I'm going to stay in and watch it with him.

Can’t wait for Saturday :) Going to be a right mess if we win considering it’s a 3pm kick off and potentially like 7+ hours of non stop 3 Lions afterwards on repeat :cool: 

You know the current laws of our universe are well and truly broken when England win a penalty shootout.

I got a phone call this morning saying my shift has been moved to tomorrow because the delivery's been delayed. No doubt the lorry driver called in sick/hungover.

13 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

My mate works in Sports Direct and is going to miss the game on Saturday

****ing Mike Ashley! 

Told you all he was a ****

Did you listen? Did you bollocks

We've played Three Lions about 100 times over the Sonos at work today.

23 minutes ago, toon_84 said:

Told you all he was a ****

Did you listen? Did you bollocks

Now he can't even get me an England shirt because they've sold out :mad: 

1 hour ago, Barry Cartman said:

My mate works in Sports Direct and is going to miss the game on Saturday

****ing Mike Ashley! 

It's a zero hour contract they're under no contractual obligation to take the hours.

6 minutes ago, Heartwork said:

It's a zero hour contract they're under no contractual obligation to take the hours.

Unfortunately he's 1 of the few people in the organisation with an actual contract 

6 hours ago, Rob1981 said:

Tell him about Santa, that should take him down a peg or two!

https://www.buryfreepress.co.uk/news/resident-miffed-at-lack-of-england-flags-in-bury-9003274/

A Bury Town volunteer who is dreaming of former Blues goalkeeper Nick Pope bringing a World Cup winners’ medal back to Ram Meadow has said he is ‘disgusted’ at the lack of support for the national team by town centre businesses and council leaders.

H3CDE025O4HX7SHE5SM4.jpg

Charlie Knights has been perturbed at the distinct lack of St George’s flags in his hometown of Bury St Edmunds, and hopes highlighting it can rectify what he sees as a crying shame as Gareth Southgate’s team enters the quarter-finals in Russia.

“This is my town and I would expect to see flags in the shops, but I am not surprised by the council,” he said, though St Edmundsbury Borough Council were believed to have raised their national flag at West Suffolk House after Tuesday's last 16 win over Columbia.

It comes after the Sun newspaper launched a campaign at the end of last week, alongside Tory MP Nick Boles, to back England’s World Cup campaign by raising the flag of St George around Government buildings.

Knights continued: “When I see towns on television they are plastered with flags.

“I said to my daughter ‘does Ipswich have flags?’ and she said ‘yes’.

“It leaves me wondering if I am the only one in Bury who cares about the World Cup!”

The flag of St George can be seen elsewhere in the town, though, with a pair of houses in Moreton Hall’s Kembold Close, which traditionally put up big festive charity displays, proudly displaying England’s colours, including a mock-up pitch and ball.

ZICKN7XUML60DI3QN1HJ.jpg

The Moreton Hall Community Centre is also not to be found wanting, with one for each nation who qualified for Russia on their bar’s ceiling as well as personalised England flags including ones with Ipswich Town and the venue’s initials on.

Now its news if a town doesn't have enough England flags all over the place!

Why is it the Council’s fault that shops  aren’t displaying flags?

I went to a wedding in Bury St Edmunds last year. They still have a VHS rental store. :ackter:

Edited by Andrew_

3 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

Bury also has the biggest gaming arcade in Europe :cool:

Are you sure? We're talking about Bury St Edmunds here, small town in Suffolk, not the place forever in the shadow of Manchester.

21 minutes ago, warlock said:

Are you sure? We're talking about Bury St Edmunds here, small town in Suffolk, not the place forever in the shadow of Manchester.

Andrew now sneakily edited his post :mad:

53 minutes ago, Barry Cartman said:

You can't trust anyone, can you? :)

image.png.09795b9dd11c221df97974c33ea075be.png

Only just seen this picture of Southgate from the other night.  A million things going through his head, and the Colombians shithousing all game, and all the England players going mad out of shot after ending a 22-year shootout curse, and he takes a moment to go and seek out their last penalty taker and console him.  Forever shaped by that Euro 96 penalty miss whatever he might go on to achieve now.  What a man.  What a ****ing man.  Hope he stays as England manager for ever.

Edited by Rob1981

9 hours ago, Barry Cartman said:

I don't know what you're talking about.

I can't put my finger on why the mood amongst the support is different this year. People seem more positive and outgoing in their support and all this Football Coming Home malarky. At first I thought it was because we'd won a couple of games and everybody has got excited but I noticed even for the Tunisia game it was pretty pumping. 

Maybe it's the fact we have a more likable team and manager but still Southgate was a bit of a laughing stock 6 months ago. 

It's really strange how the mood has changed for this tournament. If we win Saturday it feels like the country wll explode.

Just imagine if we lost the penalties. I think we'd be at rock bottom. All the good will built up before the tournament and the in the group stage only to end up being same old England. Would have been heartbreaking. 

45 minutes ago, skybluedave said:

I can't put my finger on why the mood amongst the support is different this year. People seem more positive and outgoing in their support and all this Football Coming Home malarky. At first I thought it was because we'd won a couple of games and everybody has got excited but I noticed even for the Tunisia game it was pretty pumping. 

Maybe it's the fact we have a more likable team and manager but still Southgate was a bit of a laughing stock 6 months ago. 

It's really strange how the mood has changed for this tournament. If we win Saturday it feels like the country wll explode.

Just imagine if we lost the penalties. I think we'd be at rock bottom. All the good will built up before the tournament and the in the group stage only to end up being same old England. Would have been heartbreaking. 

Yeah it is a bit strange like. I mean, before the tournament started expectations were low. We of course expected to get out of the group without much hassle, see who we draw in the R16 and go from there but the way we played in the first game against Tunisia, first half especially and the last minute deserved winner coupled with the six goals against Panama, okay it was only Panama but you can only beat what's put in front of you, it's definitely lifted people and got them tuned into the NT when they may well have not took much notice after years and years of disappointment. 

Another thing is we have a genuinely likeable bloke in charge for once and he's English to boot. The players enjoy playing for the NT and we have an actual gameplan and identity as to how we want to play, which is of course still a work in progress but we're heading in the right direction. Hell, we've even won a bloody penalty shooutout! 

The 'It's Coming Home' stuff has become a bit of a 'thing' over the past couple of weeks, a bit of fun around the England side for once. 

What's not to like? 

Edited by craigcwwe

I think the fact most of the squad if not all are quite likeable players, and guys that want to be part of the squad has helped. Was almost we know we could be crap, but it won’t be from a lack of trying or not being bothered.

Agree with all of the above. It's nice seeing the hunger of the players (that photo of Stones and Maguire giving it large to the Colombians is great), all the while clearly learning from the example Southgate sets and being good pro's off the pitch. The video of Stones approaching Hoddle is fantastic.