It came home. Hope, hope came home

Bliss Seeker

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Boltman said:

You guys actually experiencing nerves before an event that you can do absolutely nothing whatsoever to influence? seriously? like.... seriously???

That's so... odd... :D

What are you on about? :D

I can totally understand excitement and elation when your team does well, and disappointment and disillusionment when they don't, even anticipation of looking forward to a match, but I can't understand why anyone would get nervous anxiety about something which is totally beyond their control. 

Perfectly happy to accept I'm the exception here, but I just don't understand it. 

1 minute ago, Boltman said:

I can totally understand excitement and elation when your team does well, and disappointment and disillusionment when they don't, even anticipation of looking forward to a match, but I can't understand why anyone would get nervous anxiety about something which is totally beyond their control. 

Perfectly happy to accept I'm the exception here, but I just don't understand it. 

You're just emotionally dead. It's cool :)

Feeling nervous about something/someone you 'care' about doing something or not is natural regardless if you have control over it. 

It's like watching your child play climb the stairs alone up to the big slide for the first time. You can't help him, but you're quite nervous about how he gets on up there. 

I've just never viewed a match being played out by other people as something I could experience nerves over. When I'm involved, sure, I get the odd twinge immediately beforehand when it's a competitive league game or something, which goes away as soon as it starts, but I've never experienced it over something I'm not directly involved in. Probably why I find it a bit odd.

Anyway, if it's 'coming home', why are there still nerves? :p

1 minute ago, m_fenton said:

Just curious - do you feel nerves watching a penalty shoot out?

presumably you're asking me, in which case, nope, I don't.

I think I'm probably conflating nerves and anxiety. Anxiety isn't rational, so if you are talking about people feeling 'anxious' before an event then that I can understand, but the same 'nerves' I've experienced before doing something myself, no, never experienced it if I'm not involved. And no, I don't feel anxiety watching shootouts either.

just spent the last 30 minutes talking about the game to my NY colleagues whilst staring at Wembley across London from my meeting room. can't remember what the meeting was supposed to be about.

i'm going to the pub very soon, i actually can't sit here until 5.30

1 hour ago, Wigmore said:

I have a call with a client from 4-5pm today, there is no way I'll be listening or offering anything productive in our conversation.

I won't name and shame them for organising a call at such a stupid time on a day like today, but this popular personalised greetings card online business really should've thought about the game before they booked in this call.

It's about as careless as sending a pig to the moon.

1?subscription-key=b00894e69b9f499cb2beb

I'm at that point where I just want it to kick off. 

It's a strange one because all my favourite football moments have come out of the blue, nothing matches where the result doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

14 years since a team I support made it to a semi final and 19 years since a win. I don't know how to feel.

6 minutes ago, Boltman said:

presumably you're asking me, in which case, nope, I don't.

I think I'm probably conflating nerves and anxiety. Anxiety isn't rational, so if you are talking about people feeling 'anxious' before an event then that I can understand, but the same 'nerves' I've experienced before doing something myself, no, never experienced it if I'm not involved. And no, I don't feel anxiety watching shootouts either.

Fair enough. Nothing personal meant by this, so please don't think it's meant as an insult, but that's such a different experience to my own that I find it very, very odd!

58 minutes ago, Boltman said:

You guys actually experiencing nerves before an event that you can do absolutely nothing whatsoever to influence? seriously? like.... seriously???

That's so... odd... :D

Come on...you know that's not odd.

Just now, Baptista_8 said:

Come on...you know that's not odd.

As I said, it's what I'd describe as anxiety, something totally different from what I recognise as 'nerves'. It's just a mix up. It's explained and sorted.

While I really can't bring myself to cheer for or want England to win tonight, I'm also happy for you guys to be able to enjoy these moments, (well most of you anyway ;) ) If that makes sense. Having been through a very similar experience in 2016, can definitely say to just try to enjoy tonight win or lose.

Can understand the nerves/anxiety thing too. I was an absolute mess going to the stadium for our Semi final against Portugal. I enjoyed it and allowed myself to just be in the moment, but that anxiety was definitely still there. 

Man I wish I was going to the pub and watching it in a big crowd tonight.  Watched virtually all of the World Cup at home.  Kids are totally at the wrong age, old enough to want to watch it so I feel bad going out and leaving them.  But too young to take them out and get them in somewhere and expect them to sit still for two hours.

I think I'm at 6 crushing tournament exits at home vs 2 in the pub vs 3 in the stadium

1 hour ago, Boltman said:

As I said, it's what I'd describe as anxiety, something totally different from what I recognise as 'nerves'. It's just a mix up. It's explained and sorted.

Yeah I'd missed all the convo after :D

Pizzas in the oven, booze is open.  Popcorn and crisps for the kids ready to go later.  Oldest is pacing about nervously in his Italia 90 replica even though it's two sizes too big.  Sick with nerves even though, again, he's never actually seen us lose horribly before.  Younger two might get packed off to bed at halftime with any luck.

See you all on the other side :thup:

Archived